NATION

PASSWORD

Among Us Political Roleplay (18+)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Among Us Political Roleplay (18+)

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 pm

Title snagged from the Guardian (source)
Sorry if this is too similar to an existing topic or something, I don't mean to waste any mod's time. Though they are connected, this thread's about a shady corporate practice rather than the police themselves.

Related: US Anti-Police Protests and Riots Thread II (for discussion of police brutality and the recent protests.)

by Nina Lakhani

Big corporations accused of driving environmental and health inequalities in black and brown communities through toxic and climate-changing pollution are also funding powerful police groups in major US cities, according to a new investigation.
Some of America’s largest oil and gas companies, private utilities, and financial institutions that bankroll fossil fuels also back police foundatns – opaque private entities that raise money to pay for training, weapons, equipment, and surveillance technology for departments across the US.
The investigation by the Public Accountability Initiative, a nonprofit corporate and government accountability research institute, and its research database project LittleSis, details how police foundations in cities such as Seattle, Chicago, Washington, New Orleans and Salt Lake City are partially funded by household names such as Chevron, Shell and Wells Fargo.
Police foundations are industry groups that provide substantial funds to local departments, yet, as nonprofits, avoid much public scrutiny.
The investigation details how firms linked to fossil fuels also sponsor events and galas that celebrate the police, while some have senior staff serving as directors of police foundations.
The report portrays the fossil fuel industry as a common enemy in the struggle for racial and environmental justice. “Many powerful companies that drive environmental injustice are also backers of the same police departments that tyrannize the very communities these corporate actors pollute,” it states.
The report included such companies as:

-Chevron, a multinational oil and gas company, that is among the world’s top 25 polluters. In the US, it owns two of the worst six benzene-emitting refineries, according to the EPA. Chevron is a corporate sponsor of the New Orleans police and justice foundation, as well as a board member of the Houston police foundation and sponsor of the Houston mounted patrol. It also donates and serves on the board of Salt Lake City police foundation.

-Shell is one of the biggest fossil fuel companies in the world, and is currently building a huge ethane cracker plant near Pittsburgh, which advocates warn could turn Appalachia into the next so-called Cancer Alley – a corridor of Louisiana refineries, where Shell is also a major polluter. Shell is a “featured partner” of the New Orleans police foundation and a sponsor of the Houston police’s mounted patrol.

-The nation’s largest oil refining company Marathon Petroleum has long been accused of generating pollution that disproportionately affects the health of black and brown communities. Its refinery in Detroit has received 15 violations from the state environmental regulator since 2013. Marathon’s security coordinator is on the board of the Detroit police foundation, and sponsors numerous events.

Carroll Muffett, the president of the Center for International Environmental Law, said: “This report sheds a harsh light on the ways police violence and systemic racism intersect with the climate crisis.”
A spokeswoman for Chevron said the firm is a “good neighbor” wherever it operates. “Across the world, Chevron invests millions of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours on numerous programs and partnerships, helping communities improve their lives, achieve their aspirations and meet their full potential.”
Marathon Petroleum said: “It is our privilege to satisfy the [Detroit] community’s direct requests for more local neighborhood patrols by first responders, through our own contributions and support for fundraising efforts.”
Shell did not respond to request for comment.
The revelations come as the coronavirus pandemic continues to expose gaping disparities in air pollution, access to clean running water, and rates of chronic medical conditions which have contributed to a disproportionate number of deaths among people of color and Native Americans.
Meanwhile, Donald Trump is deploying militarized security forces to cities such as Seattle and Chicago to quell anti-racism protests amid growing public demands to relocate some police funds into environmental, health and social services, to create safer, healthier and racially just communities.
“Black Lives Matter is about environmental justice, economic justice, racial justice, and about stamping out racism in the criminal justice system,” said Robert Bullard, co-chair of the National Black Environmental Justice Network.
“Racism was stamped into America’s DNA. America is segregated, and so is pollution.”
Police foundations play an increasingly important role in local policing. Law-and-order advocates say they have stepped in to fill budget shortfalls and ensure police departments are equipped with state-of-the-art technology and weaponry needed to combat crime in the 21st century.
But critics argue police departments are already overfunded. Nationwide about $100bn is spent on policing each year, and cities hand over 20% to 45% of their general budgets to police departments, according to advocacy group the Center for Popular Democracy Action.
Police foundation money is additional, and this money is much harder to trace since they are not subject to the same transparency rules as public entities such as law enforcement agencies.
Aside from fossil fuel firms, utility companies were also highlighted in the report as playing a dual role as polluters and backers of police foundations.
America’s 100 largest utilities accounted for 80% of measurable air emissions, according to a 2019 report. Low-income African American communities disproportionately suffer health problems such as respiratory and cardiovascular disease, and face a higher risk of death from the fine particulate emissions that come from power plants, according to researchers at the University of Washington and Stanford.
Exelon, a publicly traded energy company headquartered in Chicago, is the nation’s largest utility, and in 2019 agreed to pay $200m over 50 years to settle a lawsuit over pollution in Chesapeake Bay.
According to the report, Exelon is a prolific donor to police foundations where it and its subsidiaries operate, giving to foundations in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Washington.
A spokeswoman for the company said Exelon is the country’s largest producer of carbon-free energy which financially supports programs and organizations targeting diverse communities. “A fraction of our total giving went to police departments through small, safety focused grants for things such as crash investigations, emergency scene safety improvements, K-9 search and rescue operations, and other programs.”
Financial institutions – public-facing banks, insurance companies and asset managers – are also some of the biggest sponsors of police foundations.
Wells Fargo is the second biggest global bank behind fossil fuels, and provided almost $198bn of financing for oil and gas between 2016 and 2019. The bank’s ties to police foundations include two board seats and a sponsorship deal with Charlotte-Mecklenburg. It is also a partner and donor to the Seattle police foundation, a director and sponsor of the Atlanta police foundation, and donates to Salt Lake City’s.
Wells Fargo did not respond to request for comment.
“From policing to financial violence – the road to solving the climate crisis includes addressing connected predatory systems. We support the demand to defund and divest from the police and fossil fuels, and to reinvest in the resilience of people and planet for a just recovery,” said Tamara Toles O’Laughlin, 350.org’s North America director.

TL;DR An investigation found Big Oil has been backing the police for political gain.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:49 pm

That's what you get when you allow business to become so huge that they become richer than some countries.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:53 pm

Purpelia wrote:That's what you get when you allow business to become so huge that they become richer than some countries.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Many megacorporations spend massive amounts of money astroturfing, lobbying, and damaging the environment with the wealth that rightfully belongs to their workers.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That's what you get when you allow business to become so huge that they become richer than some countries.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Many megacorporations spend massive amounts of money astroturfing, lobbying, and damaging the environment with the wealth that rightfully belongs to their workers.

They are also funding the identity politics crowd as a means of destroying the actual left which would otherwise point out what you just did and try to fix it.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Many megacorporations spend massive amounts of money astroturfing, lobbying, and damaging the environment with the wealth that rightfully belongs to their workers.

They are also funding the identity politics crowd as a means of destroying the actual left which would otherwise point out what you just did and try to fix it.

They're winning too, though recent events have gained te left some traction.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:29 am

As long as the donation is transparent and they're not trying to gain any special treatment (ie making a de facto corporate police force) I don't see the problem. It could be read as- 'Helpful company generously donates money back into the community'.

Big Oil

I've always found it weird how America likes to demonise large industries with 'Big [Something]' while at the same time creating the hyper-capitalist environment which allows said companies to exist. It's like America is full of masochists..
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Big Oil

I've always found it weird how America likes to demonise large industries with 'Big [Something]' while at the same time creating the hyper-capitalist environment which allows said companies to exist. It's like America is full of masochists..

Being a major player in the oil industry requires some big assets like refineries, pipelines or oil tankers. Refineries in particular can't be effectively down-scaled, also they have complex inputs and outputs that reward vertical integration (suppliers and markets). I'm not sure it would all be possible if government broke the oil companies up into "baby oils" but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Being a major player in the oil industry requires some big assets like refineries, pipelines or oil tankers. Refineries in particular can't be effectively down-scaled, also they have complex inputs and outputs that reward vertical integration (suppliers and markets). I'm not sure it would all be possible if government broke the oil companies up into "baby oils" but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.

Which is why vital resource industries should be nationalized. See Norway for an example.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:57 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:[...] but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.

Would that be such a bad thing?

If gasoline jumped to, oh, 7~8€ a gallon - like in the Netherlands - I have to imagine that the US would abruptly start seriously rethinking everything from consumer delivery logistics to urban planning and accomplish everything that 40 years of environmentalist campaigning failed at doing.
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Being a major player in the oil industry requires some big assets like refineries, pipelines or oil tankers. Refineries in particular can't be effectively down-scaled, also they have complex inputs and outputs that reward vertical integration (suppliers and markets). I'm not sure it would all be possible if government broke the oil companies up into "baby oils" but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.

My dad worked for a relatively small company creating parts for oil rigs. It's still possible to have some independence in the petrochemical industry but of course there are extremely high start-up costs if a company would want to be the one ordering said oil rigs.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Big Oil

It's what we use to negatively refer to monolithic megacorporations. I personally hate capitalism as a whole, but I absolutely get what you're saying.

Plzen wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:[...] but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.

If gasoline jumped to, oh, 7~8€ a gallon - like in the Netherlands - I have to imagine that the US would abruptly start seriously rethinking everything from consumer delivery logistics to urban planning and accomplish everything that 40 years of environmentalist campaigning failed at doing.

I guess in the short term it might be a pain for some people, especially the ones driving things that pollute a lot, and I think that's what NH2 is getting at.

That being said, I 100% agree with you.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:02 am

ancap moment
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:03 am

Plzen wrote:

It's also going to hurt people financially with commuting costs etc, and a move to electricity would be useless if there isn't the infrastructure to support it.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 am

Plzen wrote:

And how well do you think "it's good for the planet" will play with people who have already invested in a petrol car or truck, and have no alternative but to use it whatever the cost?

Maybe the government could buy back gas-guzzlers so people have some money towards a new electric car (which there won't be enough of), but then you've just shifted emissions and other pollution to fossil fuel generating plants. The only source of electricity which can be brought on-line at all quickly.

Well I'll give you credit for at least understanding it can't be done in one year.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:06 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Plzen wrote:Would that be such a bad thing?

It's also going to hurt people financially with commuting costs etc, and a move to electricity would be useless if there isn't the infrastructure to support it.

I think the long term environmental benefits outweigh a few years of inconvenience for some people.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:13 am

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

I think the long term environmental benefits outweigh a few years of inconvenience for some people.

I think what we're both getting at is that it would take a much wider set of reforms to create more renewable capacity. Just pulling the one lever which raises the price of fuel will likely create more demand for other fossil fuels to generate electricity. Gas, which arguably is about as damaging as oil, and coal which is clearly worse.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:14 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I think what we're both getting at is that it would take a much wider set of reforms to create more renewable capacity. Just pulling the one lever which raises the price of fuel will likely create more demand for other fossil fuels to generate electricity. Gas, which arguably is about as damaging as oil, and coal which is clearly worse.

First of all, we need to do whatever it takes to put a permanent end to this anti-nuclear hysteria that consumes so many nations...

But yeah. It's kind of absurd how much power energy companies in particular (as is the focus of this thread) and large corporations in general have. Oil companies used to fund pro-renewable environmentalist propaganda in order to stifle nuclear, but now that solar and wind are actually viable competitors to oil, they kind of stopped doing that. :p
Last edited by Plzen on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 am

I do wonder why large corporate are maneuvering to provide funding towards police organizations...

Could it have something to do with exerting influence, and a degree of control, over them perhaps?
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Plzen wrote:Would that be such a bad thing?

And how well do you think "it's good for the planet" will play with people who have already invested in a petrol car or truck, and have no alternative but to use it whatever the cost?

Maybe the government could buy back gas-guzzlers so people have some money towards a new electric car (which there won't be enough of), but then you've just shifted emissions and other pollution to fossil fuel generating plants. The only source of electricity which can be brought on-line at all quickly.

Well I'll give you credit for at least understanding it can't be done in one year.

Just invest in passenger railroads like the rest of the civilized world.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:As long as the donation is transparent and they're not trying to gain any special treatment (ie making a de facto corporate police force) I don't see the problem. It could be read as- 'Helpful company generously donates money back into the community'.

Big Oil

Explains the popular use of the word "daddy".
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:27 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:I do wonder why large corporate are maneuvering to provide funding towards police organizations...

Could it have something to do with exerting influence, and a degree of control, over them perhaps?

Maybe they just want to be front of the queue when buildings need protection. Though that implies they see militant greenies coming for them some time soon ... which seems a bit mad.

When your product is somewhere on the scale Flammable to Explosive, being risk-averse is understandable :p

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:30 am

Plzen wrote:

If we had a decent system of public transportation and less parking lots, we'd do that. But instead of designing a decent system, Sacramento's building high speed rail... to connect the few areas already covered by transportation. When our gas price goes up, it's the poor who are fucked. Without public transport, and with everything so far apart in LA, and so expensive to bring closer together, what're the options?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:30 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Just invest in passenger railroads like the rest of the civilized world.

Passenger rail is more efficient and perhaps a worthwhile investment for the US, but the presence or absence of it doesn't necessarily equate to a society being 'civilized' or 'uncivilized'.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:31 am

Can't say I'm entirely surprised...
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Just invest in passenger railroads like the rest of the civilized world.

Passenger rail is more efficient and perhaps a worthwhile investment for the US, but the presence or absence of it doesn't necessarily equate to a society being 'civilized' or 'uncivilized'.

The reason why I call america uncivilized is because of other stuff including but not limited to its dysfunctional political, healthcare and education systems, race issues, murder rate, crime rate, the war on drugs, lack of overall socialism etc. Not having trains is just one of the tiny and mostly tasteless sprinkles strewn on top of the excrement and earwax flavored icecream. /tangent
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General