NATION

PASSWORD

Poland to withdraw from Istanbul Convention

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:25 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:Ie, if you make it only illegal to rape women and not men, that's ok and allowable under the Istanbul convention, as a special measure necessary to protect women (and only women) from gender based violence.

Discrimination is fine!

Negligence doesn't equal an active endorsement. This Treaty doesn't ban you from creating more laws concerning men's rights, in fact Section 2 Article 2 of the Treaty encourages member states to expand the protections to all victims of domestic violence.
Section 2, Article 2 wrote:Parties are encouraged to apply this Convention to all victims of domestic violence. Parties shall pay particular attention to women victims of gender-based violence in implementing the provisions of this Convention.

But the convention is supposed to be about saying it's OK for women to beat their husbands. The MRAs are very explicit about this.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:28 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:Ie, if you make it only illegal to rape women and not men, that's ok and allowable under the Istanbul convention, as a special measure necessary to protect women (and only women) from gender based violence.

Discrimination is fine!

Negligence doesn't equal an active endorsement. This Treaty doesn't ban you from creating more laws concerning men's rights, in fact Section 2 Article 2 of the Treaty encourages member states to expand the protections to all victims of domestic violence.
Section 2, Article 2 wrote:Parties are encouraged to apply this Convention to all victims of domestic violence. Parties shall pay particular attention to women victims of gender-based violence in implementing the provisions of this Convention.

I'd like to point out the part you didn't bold for the audience. It directs them to engage in gendered discrimination in efforts to implement the provisions of the convention.

Imagine this:

Section 2, Article 2 wrote:Parties are encouraged to apply this Convention to all victims of gang violence. Parties shall pay particular attention to white victims of gang violence in implementing the provisions of this Convention.

Sounds pretty terrible doesn't it.

And you know, I hear the negligence excuse a lot. Yet it's negligence in the same direction, the same way, over and over and over again. At some point, you have to recognize either the politicians are not negligent, they're malicious, or they are so stupid they need to be removed from power. Yet no one tries to do either one.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:30 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:And specifies it's not discrimination under the convention if they institute special measures to protect women and leave men out in the cold.

Think about a country where marital rape is legal. But they make it illegal, but only against women, to protect against gender based violence against women.

This is an allowable and ok form of gendered discrimination under the Istanbul convention, and not discrimination under the terms of the convention.

BS. Protections for women doesn't equal allowing men to be abused without punishment. Just because the Treaty only covers women's rights doesn't mean that it forbids men's rights legislation from being made.

It's funny you said BS then immediately agreed I was right and the treaty allows this.

Weird.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:31 am

Vassenor wrote:
Picairn wrote:Negligence doesn't equal an active endorsement. This Treaty doesn't ban you from creating more laws concerning men's rights, in fact Section 2 Article 2 of the Treaty encourages member states to expand the protections to all victims of domestic violence.

But the convention is supposed to be about saying it's OK for women to beat their husbands. The MRAs are very explicit about this.

You know, if there was a convention about protecting whites from race-based violence, with exactly one token mention of black people at the beginning, I don't think you'd be supportive.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 am

Vistulange wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Restoring the Tsar. -nod-

Don't quote me on this, but he probably unironically thinks that.

So, really, why waste time responding to him?

Are you referring to me or someone else? I'm confused.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Vistulange wrote:Don't quote me on this, but he probably unironically thinks that.

So, really, why waste time responding to him?

Are you referring to me or someone else? I'm confused.

The Panslavic guy.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 am

Galloism wrote:I'd like to point out the part you didn't bold for the audience. It directs them to engage in gendered discrimination in efforts to implement the provisions of the convention.

No, it doesn't. Protections for women does not equal allowing men to be abused without punishment. No one, absolutely nobody, is forbidding the member states to pass more laws to fill the gaps on men's rights.

Imagine this:

Section 2, Article 2 wrote:Parties are encouraged to apply this Convention to all victims of gang violence. Parties shall pay particular attention to white victims of gang violence in implementing the provisions of this Convention.

If white victims are disproportionately affected by gang violence, then it's a good thing that the priority is being given first to white people. I have no qualms with the Treaty if black people are also given the first priority in protections against police brutality, since it disproportionately affects them. Then I'll expand those protections to all white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. people, because the Treaty doesn't ban me, in fact, it encourages me to do so.

In fact, your whole argument reminds me of this:

And you know, I hear the negligence excuse a lot. Yet it's negligence in the same direction, the same way, over and over and over again. At some point, you have to recognize either the politicians are not negligent, they're malicious, or they are so stupid they need to be removed from power. Yet no one tries to do either one.

Your gripes with politicians doesn't remove the fact that no one is stopping these member nations from making up their own laws addressing men's rights.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:40 am

Galloism wrote:It's funny you said BS then immediately agreed I was right and the treaty allows this.

Weird.

Upgrade your reading comprehension, then re-read what I said.
Last edited by Picairn on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:I'd like to point out the part you didn't bold for the audience. It directs them to engage in gendered discrimination in efforts to implement the provisions of the convention.

No, it doesn't. Protections for women does not equal allowing men to be abused without punishment. No one, absolutely nobody, is forbidding the member states to pass more laws to fill the gaps on men's rights.

Imagine this:

If white victims are disproportionately affected by gang violence, then it's a good thing that the priority is being given first to white people. I have no qualms with the Treaty if black people are also given the first priority in protections against police brutality, since it disproportionately affects them. Then I'll expand those protections to all white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. people, because the Treaty doesn't ban me, in fact, it encourages me to do so.

Your gripes with politicians doesn't remove the fact that no one is stopping these member nations from making up their own laws addressing men's rights.

If anything, -this- interpretation is the one that's going all WHITE LIVES MATTER about the convention. Since you're trying to claim that, like how Black Lives Matter doesn't include white lives in the name it must be discriminating against them, since this convention doesn't say "and men too" on every clause it must therefore be discriminating against men.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 am

Picairn wrote:

Imagine this:

Notably, if one is gender consistent on the usage of gender based violence, men do receive the majority of gender based violence. But we focus on the people suffering the least violence as needing more protection from violence.

Istanbul is a "white lives matter" treaty. I'm saying that yelling "white lives matter" is racist for the same reason "violence against women" is sexist - you're selecting those who are already more likely to be protected from violence as needing more protection from violence.

I'm saying "black lives matter", while you're saying "this convention is about white lives, nothing stops you from focusing on black lives, but we need a treaty about white lives".

Right. But then they tell the politicians of those nations that discrimination is not only ok, but they should give extra attention to the privileged class.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am

Vassenor wrote:
Picairn wrote:No, it doesn't. Protections for women does not equal allowing men to be abused without punishment. No one, absolutely nobody, is forbidding the member states to pass more laws to fill the gaps on men's rights.

If anything, -this- interpretation is the one that's going all WHITE LIVES MATTER about the convention. Since you're trying to claim that, like how Black Lives Matter doesn't include white lives in the name it must be discriminating against them, since this convention doesn't say "and men too" on every clause it must therefore be discriminating against men.

Pretty much. An attitude of entitlement that men MUST have their pet issues addressed in every convention regardless of how narrow the subject actually is.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:52 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:It's funny you said BS then immediately agreed I was right and the treaty allows this.

Weird.

Upgrade your reading comprehension, then re-read what I said.

Here's what I said:

Galloism wrote:And specifies it's not discrimination under the convention if they institute special measures to protect women and leave men out in the cold.

Think about a country where marital rape is legal. But they make it illegal, but only against women, to protect against gender based violence against women.

This is an allowable and ok form of gendered discrimination under the Istanbul convention, and not discrimination under the terms of the convention.

Here's what you said:

Picairn wrote:BS.

BS = Bullshit, and is a colloquial expression to say the above isn't true. If the above isn't true, then this would be true:

Some sexist Galloism who can't read the convention wrote:And specifies it is discrimination under the convention if they institute special measures to protect women and leave men out in the cold.

This is not allowable and a form of gendered discrimination under the Istanbul convention, and it is discrimination under the terms of the convention.

So your BS, calling my statement false, is asserting the above. Then you said:

Which doesn't cite the convention as a source for this, or provide any basis. Just that it "doesn't mean that".

THen you followed up with:

Therefore agreeing with the ORIGINAL statement, the one you called BS, that this is an allowable form of discrimination under the convention, but the countries who signed it COULD be nondiscriminatory, unrelated to the convention, if they so chose to be.

Which, again, agrees with my original statement, that the convention doesn't disallow this - in fact it's explicitly allowed under the convention for countries to have such extreme gendered discrimination - so long as it favors women.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:52 am

Vassenor wrote:

So what's actually stopping signatories from creating identical measures to help men?

What was stopping individual US states from voluntarily giving votes to women and black people? :roll:

Are you suggesting a constitution that mandates votes for all white men but is silent on other groups isn't discrimination? Is that seriously how far down this denial of misandry rabbit hole you're prepared to go?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 am

Galloism wrote:Notably, if one is gender consistent on the usage of gender based violence, men do receive the majority of gender based violence. But we focus on the people suffering the least violence as needing more protection from violence.

Istanbul is a "white lives matter" treaty. I'm saying that yelling "white lives matter" is racist for the same reason "violence against women" is sexist - you're selecting those who are already more likely to be protected from violence as needing more protection from violence.

I'm saying "black lives matter", while you're saying "this convention is about white lives, nothing stops you from focusing on black lives, but we need a treaty about white lives".

Your premise about "men do receive the majority of gender based violence" is entirely wrong when we consult statistics. Yes, women are more affected than men in domestic violence. So the rest of your analogy is wrong, it should be flipped.

Right. But then they tell the politicians of those nations that discrimination is not only ok, but they should give extra attention to the privileged class.

No, none of the articles said that, only your convoluted mis-interpretation can cook up such an inane scenario.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 am

Vassenor wrote:
Picairn wrote:No, it doesn't. Protections for women does not equal allowing men to be abused without punishment. No one, absolutely nobody, is forbidding the member states to pass more laws to fill the gaps on men's rights.

If this was a black lives matter type convention, it would be the "Istanbul Convention on Violence Against Men", and have some token references about women, instead of the reverse, given men suffer the vast majority of all violence due to gender, and both men and women predominantly target men as victims of violence.

This isn't an all lives matter treaty. It's a white lives matter treaty, and I'm saying that's wrong.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:Notably, if one is gender consistent on the usage of gender based violence, men do receive the majority of gender based violence. But we focus on the people suffering the least violence as needing more protection from violence.

Your premise about "men do receive the majority of gender based violence" is entirely wrong when we consult statistics. Yes, women are more affected than men in domestic violence. So the rest of your analogy is wrong, it should be flipped.

No, none of the articles said that, only your convoluted mis-interpretation can cook up such an inane scenario.

That depends entirely on how you decide what constitutes gender based violence.

Why did we need a federal ammendment to make sure women and minorities got the vote again? Nothing was stopped the states passing their own laws on the topic. Nothing racist and sexist about "White men must have the vote" clauses for federal law, right?

Only an insane and convoluted interpetation could think otherwise, right?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 am

Picairn wrote:

Yeah, so probably not - we just don't prosecute women's domestic violence as much. There are over 100 studies at this point that demonstrate symmetry in domestic violence, and a couple that report extreme asymmetry in prosecution.

It's sort how like white on black crime isn't punished as much or as harshly as black on white crime.

In fact, there's been a concerted campaign to suppress this -

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Treatment

Men and women suffer domestic violence at about the same rate, rape at about the same rate, and all other forms of violence at much higher rates. They are repeatedly targeted for violence based on their gender, and beaten and abused in situations where women would not be, which is gender based violence.

Far far greater violence than women suffer.

You just quoted a part to give "special attention" to women, who are the privileged class.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:59 am

Galloism wrote:-snip-

Tf is this mental gymnastics? Section 2, Article 2 of the Treaty explicitly encourages member states to expand the laws to all victims of domestic violence. And none of the articles say men can be discriminated against to protect women, that's nonsensical mis-interpretation.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:01 am

Picairn wrote:

Tf is this mental gymnastics? Section 2, Article 2 of the Treaty explicitly encourages member states to expand the laws to all victims of domestic violence. And none of the articles say men can be discriminated against to protect women, that's nonsensical mis-interpretation.

That isn't a misinterpretation, that is quite literally what the treaty provides exemption for.
Ostro.MOV

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:03 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:That isn't a misinterpretation, that is quite literally what the treaty provides exemption for.

As I have repeatedly said, Section 2 Article 2 explicitly encourages member states to expand protections to other victims, including men. And protections for women doesn't equal discrimination against men. That's a black and white fallacy.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:05 am

Picairn wrote:

Um, what about the part that says explicitly, verbatim that I quoted, that special treatment of women is not discrimination?

What do you think special treatment of women IS?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:06 am

Picairn wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:That isn't a misinterpretation, that is quite literally what the treaty provides exemption for.

As I have repeatedly said, Section 2 Article 2 explicitly encourages member states to expand protections to other victims, including men. And protections for women doesn't equal discrimination against men. That's a black and white fallacy.

Please define a legal protection that is ONLY for women that does not discriminate against men. I'd like an example.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:08 am

Galloism wrote:Please define a legal protection that is ONLY for women that does not discriminate against men. I'd like an example.

Prosecution of male abusers is not discrimination towards men in general.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:10 am

Picairn wrote:
Galloism wrote:Please define a legal protection that is ONLY for women that does not discriminate against men. I'd like an example.

Prosecution of male abusers is not discrimination towards men in general.

Is prosecution of ONLY male abusers discrimination?

Keep in mind, we're talking about legal discrimination being not discrimination if it's a protection of women. So would make only male perpetrated abuse illegal (that's the type of thing the convention is referring to) not discrimination against men?

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:12 am

Galloism wrote:Um, what about the part that says explicitly, verbatim that I quoted, that special treatment of women is not discrimination?

What do you think special treatment of women IS?

Because women are disproportionate victims of domestic violence, and thus need to be given first priority in protections. No one is banning member states from addressing men's rights. Do I need to pull up that picture about all lives matter again for you?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General