NATION

PASSWORD

Should the death penalty's "appeals process" be scrapped?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Just abolish the death penalty, that way the possibility of innocent people being fried is no longer a possibility. Just a thought.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:49 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:I'm entirely comfortable with the thought of them rotting in a cell.

Or their cells are luxurious enough for them to continue their leisurely life while simultaneously complaining about the "loss of freedom", like Anders Breivik.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:53 pm

Vassenor wrote:You'd just prefer to make martyrs of them, apparently.

Have you heard the heroic deeds of Bin Laden or Anders Breivik recently on the news? Me neither. /s

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 pm

Picairn wrote:
Vassenor wrote:You'd just prefer to make martyrs of them, apparently.

Have you heard the heroic deeds of Bin Laden or Anders Breivik recently on the news? Me neither. /s

Breivik is practically doing life so that's not a slam dunk in your favor that you assume it is.
Last edited by Gormwood on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Gormwood wrote:Breivik is practically doing life so that's not a slam dunk in your favor that you assume it is.

Oops, my bad, should have included another criminal executed by the death penalty. But still, you don't hear Bin Laden becoming a hero now, do you?

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:20 pm

Picairn wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Breivik is practically doing life so that's not a slam dunk in your favor that you assume it is.

Oops, my bad, should have included another criminal executed by the death penalty. But still, you don't hear Bin Laden becoming a hero now, do you?

And has terrorism stopped since Bin Laden was killed?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:26 pm

USS Monitor wrote:There are already too many questionable executions, even with the appeals process. Dylann Roof is a scumbag, but this isn't just about him. The same rules will be used in lots of other cases too.

I'd rather just abolish the death penalty, or use it more rarely. I get tired of reading stories about some black guy getting executed while activists from the black community complain that he was mentally incompetent or they're not satisfied that he got a fair trial or whatever. We don't actually NEED to execute people. We can keep the public safe using life without parole for the most dangerous criminals. In Southern states that have large black populations and a lot of capital punishment, controversial executions and complaints of racial bias are way too common. When I see Joe Black Guy and Jenny Black Mama upset because they think their friend/relative/neighbor/whatever is being executed due to racial bias, I feel bad for them.

In a post-racial society with fewer divisions and inequalities, maybe the death penalty would be OK, but in our current reality, I think it is not worth it. Like I said, we don't actually NEED to execute people.

Do you honestly believe all those cases are actual racism as opposed to just being the family of someone condemned to die doing everything and anything in their power to try and claw him out of it?

Vetalia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:But do we want prisons to be safe? If prison is not a place of suffering than why would people want to stay away from it?

Pretty sure being locked in a cell with limited amenities and virtually all of your freedoms taken away, to say nothing of the long-term consequences even if you get out, is more than enough of a deterrent. In fact, the countries with the worst prisons in the world also have the highest crime rates...

But that's because they let people out. Bad prison + allowing prisoners out = turn prison into criminal boot camp. If you just chose to leave the prisoners in forever, at least the bad ones (those that did crimes that cause damage to people or property) than they wouldn't have a chance to reoffend.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Gormwood wrote:And has terrorism stopped since Bin Laden was killed?

No, but terrorists rally behind new, living leaders for guidance and leadership, not dead ones.

Also, it seems that terrorist incidents are steadily dropping since its peak in 2014. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_ ... by_country

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Purpelia wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:There are already too many questionable executions, even with the appeals process. Dylann Roof is a scumbag, but this isn't just about him. The same rules will be used in lots of other cases too.

I'd rather just abolish the death penalty, or use it more rarely. I get tired of reading stories about some black guy getting executed while activists from the black community complain that he was mentally incompetent or they're not satisfied that he got a fair trial or whatever. We don't actually NEED to execute people. We can keep the public safe using life without parole for the most dangerous criminals. In Southern states that have large black populations and a lot of capital punishment, controversial executions and complaints of racial bias are way too common. When I see Joe Black Guy and Jenny Black Mama upset because they think their friend/relative/neighbor/whatever is being executed due to racial bias, I feel bad for them.

In a post-racial society with fewer divisions and inequalities, maybe the death penalty would be OK, but in our current reality, I think it is not worth it. Like I said, we don't actually NEED to execute people.

Do you honestly believe all those cases are actual racism as opposed to just being the family of someone condemned to die doing everything and anything in their power to try and claw him out of it?

Vetalia wrote:
Pretty sure being locked in a cell with limited amenities and virtually all of your freedoms taken away, to say nothing of the long-term consequences even if you get out, is more than enough of a deterrent. In fact, the countries with the worst prisons in the world also have the highest crime rates...

But that's because they let people out. Bad prison + allowing prisoners out = turn prison into criminal boot camp. If you just chose to leave the prisoners in forever, at least the bad ones (those that did crimes that cause damage to people or property) than they wouldn't have a chance to reoffend.

Meanwhile countries where the prison system focuses on rehabilitation and the like have much lower recidivism rates.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:01 am

Vassenor wrote:Meanwhile countries where the prison system focuses on rehabilitation and the like have much lower recidivism rates.

And yet they have not gotten rid of it. The only way to get rid of repeat offenders is to ensure they can only offend once. Anything else is just playing around with percentages.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:16 am

Purpelia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Meanwhile countries where the prison system focuses on rehabilitation and the like have much lower recidivism rates.

And yet they have not gotten rid of it. The only way to get rid of repeat offenders is to ensure they can only offend once. Anything else is just playing around with percentages.

Sent them to Siberia to dig potatoes for labor reform?
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:34 am

Purpelia wrote:

Once is still more than no times. Wouldn't you rather prevent the crime happening in the first place?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:36 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And yet they have not gotten rid of it. The only way to get rid of repeat offenders is to ensure they can only offend once. Anything else is just playing around with percentages.

Sent them to Siberia to dig potatoes for labor reform?

Most of Siberia doesn't grow potatoes, it's too cold.

Grains on the other hand love the place, especially millet.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:21 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And yet they have not gotten rid of it. The only way to get rid of repeat offenders is to ensure they can only offend once. Anything else is just playing around with percentages.

Once is still more than no times. Wouldn't you rather prevent the crime happening in the first place?

If there was a way to magically predict crimes and imprison people before they did them sure. But there ain't. And unless someone proves retrocausality to be a thing, which actually is not impossible, there won't ever be. So we can do the next best thing and lock people like pedophiles, burglars, rapists, arsonists, thieves, murderers and their ilk away forever.

Really, the thing to understand is that criminality is not an act of committing crime but a personality defect. You, I and those like us don't commit crime. But why don't we? Is it because we fear the law? No, obviously. We don't live in a society of constant fear. Is it because we are good, honest people who don't want to hurt others? Don't make me laugh. Is it because we are creatures of logic and understanding and so we stop each time we might commit a serious crime and consider the options ultimately coming to the logical conclusion that what the state considers is criminal in that situation is ultimately morally correct? No. Of course not.

The reason is because to us serious, real crime is just axiomatically wrong. Why is it wrong? It just is. Yes, we can stop and think and argue and make up explanations until the sun expires. But at the end of the day it's just something we accept as true without question. Crime = wrong. And the reason we think that way is because we have been brainwashed all our lives by parents, school and society to think that way. We are like a cat that has learned to defecate in a plastic box full of sand. Trained animals. And that is fine. It is as things should be.

Serious, real criminals are people for whom for what ever reason this training didn't stick. They do not have that mental block that tells them theft, murder, rape or burglary are wrong. And short of extensive brainwashing the sort of which is frankly morally questionable you can't fix them.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:26 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If there was a way to magically predict crimes and imprison people before they did them sure. But there ain't. And unless someone proves retrocausality to be a thing, which actually is not impossible, there won't ever be. So we can do the next best thing and lock people like pedophiles, burglars, rapists, arsonists, thieves, murderers and their ilk away forever.

I thought so. No thought for the social circumstances which might make a person prone to commit crime. That would be "magic" apparently ...

Life in jail for burglary. Life in jail for non-violent thieves "and their ilk". :roll:

Really, the thing to understand is that criminality is not an act of committing crime but a personality defect. You, I and those like us don't commit crime. <snip>

I've read enough of this thankyou.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I thought so. No thought for the social circumstances which might make a person prone to commit crime. That would be "magic" apparently ...

Life in jail for burglary. Life in jail for non-violent thieves "and their ilk". :roll:

The social circumstances are what make the training fail. Trust in the system and a society that actually deserves trust are essential to training humans. Just as with training animals. Again, this is not something you are born with. It's training. And of course failed training is in part the fault of the trainer and school. And in a perfect world we'd have a system where nobody is placed in the circumstances which lead to the training failing. But we don't.

Some times people simply fall through the cracks. The training does not stick. And while it's a shame the only thing we can do is protect the rest of society from them.

I've read enough of this thankyou.

If you can't make a polite response maybe you should consider not responding at all. It's
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:31 am

Purpelia wrote:If you can't make a polite response maybe you should consider not responding at all. It's

Quite right. Your opinions on criminals are draconian and judgemental, and I don't want to hear any more of them.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If you can't make a polite response maybe you should consider not responding at all. It's

Quite right. Your opinions on criminals are draconian and judgemental, and I don't want to hear any more of them.

Than feel free to ignore them instead of making a point of engaging me.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 am

New haven america wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Sent them to Siberia to dig potatoes for labor reform?

Most of Siberia doesn't grow potatoes, it's too cold.

Potatoes can be grown in Siberia, but they are mainly grown on state farms and labor camps.It belongs to a kind of Soviet humor. When it comes to digging potatoes, people will think of reform through labor.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:38 am

We should not have the death penalty at all.

By the way I also include lifetime incarceration as a form of the death penalty: death by incarceration.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
New haven america wrote:Most of Siberia doesn't grow potatoes, it's too cold.

Potatoes can be grown in Siberia, but they are mainly grown on state farms and labor camps.It belongs to a kind of Soviet humor. When it comes to digging potatoes, people will think of reform through labor.

Yes I'm aware, which is why I put the specifier "Most" in that sentence.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 am

I vote all crimes be worthy of the death penalty.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 am

Purpelia wrote:

The circumstances vary from case to case, but even if only SOME of them are actual racism, it is still a problem.

I think there are some cases of actual racism and some false alarms. Just because you can find a case that was a false alarm does not magically erase the ones that were actual racism.

Sometimes it's difficult to judge which cases are actual racism and which are not, because all of us have our own biases. And it's not worth arguing about in the context of the death penalty because capital punishment is not a necessity in the first place. You can just abolish the death penalty and save a lot of angst. Abolishing the death penalty does not endanger public safety.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:47 am

USS Monitor wrote:The circumstances vary from case to case, but even if only SOME of them are actual racism, it is still a problem.

I think there are some cases of actual racism and some false alarms. Just because you can find a case that was a false alarm does not magically erase the ones that were actual racism.

Sometimes it's difficult to judge which cases are actual racism and which are not, because all of us have our own biases. And it's not worth arguing about in the context of the death penalty because capital punishment is not a necessity in the first place. You can just abolish the death penalty and save a lot of angst. Abolishing the death penalty does not endanger public safety.

I absolutely agree with you there. I just don't think that we can look at the newer ending cries of racism and automatically conclude they are all correct and represent viable data and wanted to point that out because I know its easy for people these days to get carried away into extremes.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:50 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/will-federal-government-actually-execute-dylann-roof/

So basically there's been a delay in the guy's execution because it's tied up in "appeals." But if people are afraid the guy might somehow be innocent, would it be any more acceptable to throw an innocent man in prison to get raped and beaten by other criminals? Why not scrap the appeals process and tell the trial judge to get it right the first time?

I thought the point of the death penalty was to make would-be criminals who somehow don't fear prison afraid to commit their crimes. If that's the case, how "scary" is it to have another few years to face your fate, make up your mind about what you want for a last meal, etc...? If we truly want to scare people out of committing crimes, wouldn't it send a more effective message to have them executed right there and then in the courtroom immediately after they were convicted? What reason to stop short of that doesn't double as a reason not to have a death penalty at all? The whole thing is "unfalsifiable," sure; but its critics obviously don't care about that or they wouldn't be making unfalsifiable claims about what's "really" motivating its advocates.

As well, it allows people who think saving convicts' lives justifies lying to say it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to "execute" folks. Nonsense. Bullets aren't that expensive. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to go through appeals. You're spending hundreds of thousands of tax dollars on marginally more certainty than the certainty that is considered certainty enough to throw people in the rape house. Who are they trying to impress? If it's people who do not think unfalsifiable deterrence is enough to justify the risk of doing such things to the innocent, why do they leave prisoners to rape and beat each other for the rest of their lives, or deny convicts welfare and jobs alike when they get out so they have no choice but to steal and end up in prison again?

The whole thing just strikes me as an attempt to "split the difference" and pander to a middle ground that doesn't exist. Here's my idea of a middle ground; create jobs people can take pride in so there's less reason to resort to welfare, create easier access to welfare so there's less reason to resort to crime, then use prison more sparingly and save the death penalty for those who need to be made examples of among would-be criminals who do not fear prison.

(The irony is, I think murderers have more reason to fear prison; whether they actually do or not; than many non-murderers. Even other criminals hate murderers' guts. But conmen and the like would thrive in prison... how do you scare people out of running scams other than by threatening to execute them?)

Are murderers hated in prison?
I know paedophiles are hated in most countries prison systems and sex offenders in general are hated in the British prison system.
Also do you have proof most prisoners get raped?
Also the difference is the death penalty is irreversible.
That's why it needs automatic appeals that life without parole doesn't have.
A nation which partly represents my views.
Founder of the Traditionalist Military Alliance:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=493756
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change

Black Lives Matter!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General