NATION

PASSWORD

Taiwan: Chinese Sending Military Planes "Almost Daily"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Taiwan: Chinese Sending Military Planes "Almost Daily"

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:15 am

Stop the presses. Stop the fucking presses.

China is sending military planes near Taiwan with increasing frequency in what appears to be a stepping up of its threat to use force to take control of the island, Taiwan’s foreign minister said Wednesday.

oh shit oh fuck oh shit oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

That lead doesn't fuck around, does it?

I don't know if anyone who's been watching Xi long enough saw this as an inevitability, but this is to me a shocker, an outlier beyond even my wildest expectations of what this year is going to be like.

Xi, old-school irredentist? Of all things possible on this day and age -- THAT?! It was out of sight, out of mind for me, for Taiwan was both economically prosperous yet utterly insignificant next to China's present might.

China does not need Taiwan, so risking all-out war and wholesale destruction just for so geographically insignificant a claim...

... preposterous, and yet...

There can be no end to this mischief once this starts, once Xi orders the occupation of the island and the effective destruction of its inhabitants. If Xi's China is an expansionist state hellbent and successful at expanding its territory even though it has no reason to beyond Xi's own thousand-galaxy-brained thought about what he thinks is his Middle Kingdom's domain, what's next for it?

The Philippines -- my Philippines -- with the riches its has left even after decades of exploitation, misappropriation, and abuse, due to Xi's claim to the Spratlys?

Vietnam, previous dynasts having conquered and subjugated the country hundreds and thousands of years ago?

The Koreas? Nepal? Bhutan? Mongolia? Eastern central Asia? Japan?

What next?

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am

Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis, here we come!
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am

The US is tied up with the pandemic.

This would be the ideal time to bring that wayward providence back into the fold.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 am

Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 am

Greed and Death wrote:The US is tied up with the pandemic.

This would be the ideal time to bring that wayward providence back into the fold.

It's almost like maybe informing the world that a fleet is inoperable due to Covid was a bad idea.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 am

Can we just skip over 2020 already?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am

Greed and Death wrote:Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.

Here's a story on the topic if you don't trust G&D
Last edited by Valrifell on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am

-Astoria- wrote:Can we just skip over 2020 already?

If you as a Nigerian already feel this, then you have an inkling of how I, sitting in the country south of X, have been feeling.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 am

Valrifell wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.

This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 am

Diahon wrote:

This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?

Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 am

Valrifell wrote:
Diahon wrote:

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.

Yes, but this thread is focusing on one extremely fraught sign of that deterioration.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:48 am

-Astoria- wrote:Can we just skip over 2020 already?

King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

Anyway, yikes. First HK, now TW?
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

who?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 am

Valrifell wrote:
Diahon wrote:

WW3 here we come!!
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Diahon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:54 am

-Astoria- wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

who?

the rock band

probably

Thermodolia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

WW3 here we come!!

on another note, though -- astoria, can i apply for asylum in nigeria asap?

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:00 am

Diahon wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:who?

the rock band

probably

Close.

I'm starting to understand why "living in interesting times" is supposed to be a bad thing.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:07 am

This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.
Unfortunately something being stupid and insane does not mean a madman like Xi would not do it.

So although I still think an outright invasion unlikely we cannot ignore the possibility it might happen. And if it does we should interfere to stop it.

Also long past time to drop this “one China” silliness and recognize the ROC as a separate state from the PRC.

By recognizing the PRC as the only government of “China” we are only encouraging PRC revanchism and irredentism.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Lanorth
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lanorth » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am

Novus America wrote:This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.
Unfortunately something being stupid and insane does not mean a madman like Xi would not do it.

So although I still think an outright invasion unlikely we cannot ignore the possibility it might happen. And if it does we should interfere to stop it.

Also long past time to drop this “one China” silliness and recognize the ROC as a separate state from the PRC.

By recognizing the PRC as the only government of “China” we are only encouraging PRC revanchism and irredentism.

Agreed. But I bet Taiwan could kick China's ass in a defensive war, especially with NATO, in the contingent event that war broke out.
Last edited by Lanorth on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
i give up with this signature smh

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:19 am

Novus America wrote:This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.

Idk we’ve just kicked the Chinese out of Houston so I’d expect this spat to continue
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 am

Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.
Merry Christmas!

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:27 am

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.

Did that feel good? Get it out of your system?

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

WW3 here we come!!

Fucking finally. The writers have been teasing it for far to long.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 am

Valrifell wrote:
Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.

I took no joy or hatred in that I merely made my observation of recent events and their respective magnitudes in the grand scheme of things.
Merry Christmas!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:34 am

Valrifell wrote:

Why would no one trust me ?

Surely I wouldn't use escalating tensions to suggest falling diplomatic conditions might result in nuclear war.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 am

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

I took no joy or hatred in that I merely made my observation of recent events and their respective magnitudes in the grand scheme of things.

Godwins Law in effect. What the PRC does is concerning enough in its own right and context. We don't need to bring in Adolf.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General