NATION

PASSWORD

Taiwan: Chinese Sending Military Planes "Almost Daily"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Diahon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1591
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Taiwan: Chinese Sending Military Planes "Almost Daily"

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:15 am

Stop the presses. Stop the fucking presses.

China is sending military planes near Taiwan with increasing frequency in what appears to be a stepping up of its threat to use force to take control of the island, Taiwan’s foreign minister said Wednesday.


oh shit oh fuck oh shit oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck

That lead doesn't fuck around, does it?

I don't know if anyone who's been watching Xi long enough saw this as an inevitability, but this is to me a shocker, an outlier beyond even my wildest expectations of what this year is going to be like.

Xi, old-school irredentist? Of all things possible on this day and age -- THAT?! It was out of sight, out of mind for me, for Taiwan was both economically prosperous yet utterly insignificant next to China's present might.

China does not need Taiwan, so risking all-out war and wholesale destruction just for so geographically insignificant a claim...

... preposterous, and yet...

There can be no end to this mischief once this starts, once Xi orders the occupation of the island and the effective destruction of its inhabitants. If Xi's China is an expansionist state hellbent and successful at expanding its territory even though it has no reason to beyond Xi's own thousand-galaxy-brained thought about what he thinks is his Middle Kingdom's domain, what's next for it?

The Philippines -- my Philippines -- with the riches its has left even after decades of exploitation, misappropriation, and abuse, due to Xi's claim to the Spratlys?

Vietnam, previous dynasts having conquered and subjugated the country hundreds and thousands of years ago?

The Koreas? Nepal? Bhutan? Mongolia? Eastern central Asia? Japan?

What next?
FLEE.

User avatar
Picairn
Diplomat
 
Posts: 984
Founded: Feb 21, 2020
New York Times Democracy

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 am

Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis, here we come!
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Relations
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Pauline M. Warburton (Staff)
Long live the Emperor!
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Ayn Rand is a war criminal

Vivian James wrote:It is sophistry to try to redefine your opponent's arguments. It might feel good...

But so can jerking off in a subway.

The Emerald Legion wrote:Nobody generates wealth. Wealth exists. You simply shift it around, or sometimes discover more.

Atheris wrote:Blaming religion for Trump is like blaming science for tear gas.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52422
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:20 am

The US is tied up with the pandemic.

This would be the ideal time to bring that wayward providence back into the fold.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52422
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:27 am

Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
The Emerald Legion
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9874
Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:31 am

Greed and Death wrote:The US is tied up with the pandemic.

This would be the ideal time to bring that wayward providence back into the fold.


It's almost like maybe informing the world that a fleet is inoperable due to Covid was a bad idea.
"I must play this game by my rules/ I will conquer the world with my tools/ All my machines are made for destruction/ I will build my empire/ I will succeed and you will see/ With my machines there is no retreat." ~ E.G.G.M.A.N.
I frequently lapse into self parody, that isn't to say that I don't have extreme views, just that I occasionally go over the top for comedic effect.
Genivaria wrote:The Emerald Legion is NSG's personal Reaper.

The Drone Empire wrote:"Enlighten the willing, enslave the conquered, eradicate the defiant."
A typical Legionary strategy meeting.
The appropriate pronoun for me is It.
Philosophically Biophobic.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1789
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:35 am

Can we just skip over 2020 already?

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | Not based off America; stop it.
Sep 25, 2020
✉ TV1 News: Greens' 'green new deal': what's inside? | 622 RightPrice staff block HQ in strike | Palktyff by bike; a diary | Weather: Footscray ☁ 22° | Altas ⛅ 21° | Esterpine ☂ 20° | Naltgybal ⛅ 20° | Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel ☂ 20° | Traffic: PA Rte 9: closed up to Rte 8 southbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10 by DGES | Proudly corruption-free
(since May 15) Mayo responses: 144⅓ | Cheddar responses: 61

mit zuckerguß | ⅓ of Triumvirate | Much hope
"Loophole, bitch!" - Aroni


User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am

Greed and Death wrote:Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.


Here's a story on the topic if you don't trust G&D
Last edited by Valrifell on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Diahon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1591
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:37 am

-Astoria- wrote:Can we just skip over 2020 already?


If you as a Nigerian already feel this, then you have an inkling of how I, sitting in the country south of X, have been feeling.
FLEE.

User avatar
Diahon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1591
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 am

Valrifell wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.


Here's a story on the topic if you don't trust G&D


This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?
FLEE.

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 am

Diahon wrote:


This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?


Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Diahon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1591
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 am

Valrifell wrote:
Diahon wrote:
This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?


Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.


Yes, but this thread is focusing on one extremely fraught sign of that deterioration.
FLEE.

User avatar
New Visayan Islands
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3350
Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:48 am

-Astoria- wrote:Can we just skip over 2020 already?

King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

Anyway, yikes. First HK, now TW?
Joined the ranks of Moderation in the wee hours of the morning of September 19th, AD 2020.

Embassy program of the NVI
Time zone: GMT+8
For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1789
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

who?

Republic of Astoria | Tarain Asdair | Vasnin Astoir
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Embassy | FAQ | Not based off America; stop it.
Sep 25, 2020
✉ TV1 News: Greens' 'green new deal': what's inside? | 622 RightPrice staff block HQ in strike | Palktyff by bike; a diary | Weather: Footscray ☁ 22° | Altas ⛅ 21° | Esterpine ☂ 20° | Naltgybal ⛅ 20° | Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° | Bynscel ☁ 21° | Lyteel ☂ 20° | Traffic: PA Rte 9: closed up to Rte 8 southbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10 by DGES | Proudly corruption-free
(since May 15) Mayo responses: 144⅓ | Cheddar responses: 61

mit zuckerguß | ⅓ of Triumvirate | Much hope
"Loophole, bitch!" - Aroni


User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 61230
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 am

Valrifell wrote:
Diahon wrote:
This may or may not be relevant to this thread, but if possible please refrain from talking about this unless it's demonstrably relevant, yes?


Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.

WW3 here we come!!
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Diahon
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1591
Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Diahon » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:54 am

-Astoria- wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:King Crimson doesn't go that far in one go.

who?


the rock band

probably

Thermodolia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.

WW3 here we come!!


on another note, though -- astoria, can i apply for asylum in nigeria asap?
FLEE.

User avatar
New Visayan Islands
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3350
Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:00 am

Diahon wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:who?


the rock band

probably

Close.

I'm starting to understand why "living in interesting times" is supposed to be a bad thing.
Joined the ranks of Moderation in the wee hours of the morning of September 19th, AD 2020.

Embassy program of the NVI
Time zone: GMT+8
For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

User avatar
Novus America
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36356
Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:07 am

This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.
Unfortunately something being stupid and insane does not mean a madman like Xi would not do it.

So although I still think an outright invasion unlikely we cannot ignore the possibility it might happen. And if it does we should interfere to stop it.

Also long past time to drop this “one China” silliness and recognize the ROC as a separate state from the PRC.

By recognizing the PRC as the only government of “China” we are only encouraging PRC revanchism and irredentism.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. Pragmatism is my ideology.

User avatar
Lanorth
Diplomat
 
Posts: 851
Founded: Oct 22, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lanorth » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am

Novus America wrote:This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.
Unfortunately something being stupid and insane does not mean a madman like Xi would not do it.

So although I still think an outright invasion unlikely we cannot ignore the possibility it might happen. And if it does we should interfere to stop it.

Also long past time to drop this “one China” silliness and recognize the ROC as a separate state from the PRC.

By recognizing the PRC as the only government of “China” we are only encouraging PRC revanchism and irredentism.

Agreed. But I bet Taiwan could kick China's ass in a defensive war, especially with NATO, in the contingent event that war broke out.
Last edited by Lanorth on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
i give up with this signature smh

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 61230
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:19 am

Novus America wrote:This is probably just bluff and bluster. Xi actually outright invading Taiwan would be stupid and insane.
Unfortunately something being stupid and insane does not mean a madman like Xi would not do it.

So although I still think an outright invasion unlikely we cannot ignore the possibility it might happen. And if it does we should interfere to stop it.

Also long past time to drop this “one China” silliness and recognize the ROC as a separate state from the PRC.

By recognizing the PRC as the only government of “China” we are only encouraging PRC revanchism and irredentism.

Idk we’ve just kicked the Chinese out of Houston so I’d expect this spat to continue
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat
 
Posts: 511
Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 am

Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.
Merry Christmas!

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27433
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:27 am

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.


Did that feel good? Get it out of your system?
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Andsed
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10098
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:32 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Of course, it is nominally unlinked to the increasing military tensions.

Just further reinforcing the idea of deteriorating relations between the PRC and the US, which this episode is also a part of.

WW3 here we come!!

Fucking finally. The writers have been teasing it for far to long.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat
 
Posts: 511
Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 am

Valrifell wrote:
Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:Am I the only one who sees quite a disturbing few parallels with the expansion of the Nazi regime in the 30's and the rest of Europe not doing anything to stop the Nazi's while they took Austria, the Sudetenland and other territories and what China is doing now. But hey tearing down statues of dead slave owners is more important to some people it would seem.


Did that feel good? Get it out of your system?


I took no joy or hatred in that I merely made my observation of recent events and their respective magnitudes in the grand scheme of things.
Merry Christmas!

User avatar
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52422
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:34 am

Valrifell wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Also in other unrelated news the consulates to China in the US are being closed.


Here's a story on the topic if you don't trust G&D


Why would no one trust me ?

Surely I wouldn't use escalating tensions to suggest falling diplomatic conditions might result in nuclear war.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Nakena
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11558
Founded: May 06, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nakena » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 am

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Did that feel good? Get it out of your system?


I took no joy or hatred in that I merely made my observation of recent events and their respective magnitudes in the grand scheme of things.


Godwins Law in effect. What the PRC does is concerning enough in its own right and context. We don't need to bring in Adolf.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Andsed, Bing [Bot], Cordel One, Eukaryotic Cells, Fartsniffage, Galrica, Genivaria, Google [Bot], Herzosag, Kannap, Kargintina the Third, Loben III, Lower Nubia, Majestic-12 [Bot], New haven america, Sacrisia, SD_Film Artists, Shrillland, Sylh Alanor, The Hindustani State, Thermodolia, Valrifell, Vassenor, Vetalia, VoVoDoCo, Washington Resistance Army, Window Land, Xuanwo

Advertisement

Remove ads