NATION

PASSWORD

Ontario Same-Sex Couple Denied Videography for Gay Wedding

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:00 am

Mississippi River Country wrote:
San Lumen wrote:People of color in the south should have just gone elsewhere too right?

What equivalency are you even trying to make here? What too? (I never saw MGTOWia saying anyone should leave.) People of color when and why?

People seem to think that "they could've gone elsewhere" makes discrimination OK. We're just applying that to the "NO COLORED" era.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:00 am

If an artist does not wish to create art about a specific subject that is their right.

Had they been sellers of photocameras otoh they should be sued for discrimination if they refused to sell.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:06 am

Vassenor wrote:
What equivalency are you even trying to make here? What too? (I never saw MGTOWia saying anyone should leave.) People of color when and why?

People seem to think that "they could've gone elsewhere" makes discrimination OK. We're just applying that to the "NO COLORED" era.

It does for commissioned work. If I do not wish to take your commission because I dislike your religion, skincolour, gender, grade point average or whatever you should not be able to force me.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:07 am

Why don't they just find another company?

Save literally everyone a great deal of stress and effort.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 am

The couple should be arrested and charged with discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, their company shut down, and its assets seized by the government. You do not turn blacks away. You do not turn LGBT people away. You do not turn men, Christians, or conservative, MAGA-cap-wearing Trump supporters away. Canada must adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward discrimination of any kind, both in the public and private sectors. Either you serve the gay couple or you withhold your services to all and sundry. This also applies to social media platforms censoring conservatives for going against woke leftist ideology.

They are free to voice their disapproval of homosexuality. They should not be free to act on those views by engaging in blatant discrimination. I will defend the couple and their business against any attempt at cancellation on the first point. I will not do so on the second.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:09 am

The Alma Mater wrote:If an artist does not wish to create art about a specific subject that is their right.

Had they been sellers of photocameras otoh they should be sued for discrimination if they refused to sell.

Anti-discrimination laws in that province apply to provision of services as well as goods.

PART I
FREEDOM FROM DISCRIMINATION
Services
1 Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, s. 1; 1999, c. 6, s. 28 (1); 2001, c. 32, s. 27 (1); 2005, c. 5, s. 32 (1); 2012, c. 7, s. 1.
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:14 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:If an artist does not wish to create art about a specific subject that is their right.

Anti-discrimination laws in that province apply to provision of services as well as goods.

PART I
Services
1 Every person has a right to equal treatment with respect to services, goods and facilities, without discrimination because of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, s. 1; 1999, c. 6, s. 28 (1); 2001, c. 32, s. 27 (1); 2005, c. 5, s. 32 (1); 2012, c. 7, s. 1.

Then I'd argue that the broad definition of "services" is unjust and is infringing on peoples' free speech.

Why should people be forced to make art of something they're morally opposed too? Should Racial Supremacists also not be denied service?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:16 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Then I'd argue that the broad definition of "services" is unjust and is infringing on peoples' free speech.

Why should people be forced to make art of something they're morally opposed too? Should Racial Supremacists also not be denied service?

Slippery Slope argument. Everybody drink.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 am

Vassenor wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

It's not slippery slope, it's literally the law as is.

Can someone legally under this definition be able to say no to, say, being hired to photograph a Klan rally? Does a person's own held principles not matter when it comes to who they associate with?
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:21 am

On services: while people have the right to refuse to sell services, it is discriminatory -- and, in some jurisdictions (but I'm not sure about Ontario), illegal -- to do so based on protected characteristics (such as gender, sexuality, race, etc). So, the videographers certainly should not have refused service here (had they said "I do not travel to X-district", "I do not work on X-day", no problem).

That said, I personally think making your displeasure known by boycotting discriminatory service is usually enough.

As for the officiant -- where same-sex marriage is legal, performing them is part of an officiant's expected duties. Those who don't perform their duties should have their license revoked.

Both instances were clearly examples of homophobia. I only hope this couple manages to get the wedding they're hoping for -- especially after COVID disrupted so many things.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:23 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Can someone legally under this definition be able to say no to, say, being hired to photograph a Klan rally? Does a person's own held principles not matter when it comes to who they associate with?

So which of the listed protected characteristics does saying no to the Klan fall under?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:38 am

Vassenor wrote:

Choice makes discrimination okay. Going elsewhere is trying to be helpful.
JAGERA/TURRBULL/YEERONGPAN
FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN - ABORIGINAL

The United States is also a one party system but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.- Julius Nyerere.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:52 am

Legally I'd say it's fine - if the photographers don't want to do so, then that's their choice. But it seems rather childish for them to turn them away from my perspective - it's not as if filming a gay wedding is going to scar you for life or cause a great deal of suffering. Even if you don't support it, I don't see why filming it is going against your morals.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:28 am

Salus Maior wrote:Why don't they just find another company?

Save literally everyone a great deal of stress and effort.

They did. In their statement they did say they were going to find someone else. They were just expressing their displeasure with the incident.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 am

The Rich Port wrote:Leave them a million negative reviews, see how they like their upstanding position.

On the other hand, sad to say you can't force people to do something.

Of course, nothing wrong with making it look like it's a dirty disgusting move, which it is.

To all you lovely alt-right types: imagine being shunned and denied for being who you are and your beliefs, except it actually didn't hurt anyone physically or emotionally.

Thankfully, it's nobody's actual religious belief to shun you for being white unless it's some kind of religious cult. But unfortunately for minorities, intolerant, ignorant Christians are a dime a dozen.

It's so easy to blame Christians, doesn't it? How about the discriminations towards non-binary people in the Middle East, where there was even cases of stoning there? There are Gay pastors and priests in Christianity. Not every Christian is a close-minded, homophobic bigot - there are Churches that legitimize and celebrate gay marriage. But blaming Christians, instead of the clear culprit here (read: ignorant homophobic bigots that deserve bad review for their discriminating behaviour) isn't the solution.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 am

Vassenor wrote:

PART I
Services

But the anti discrimination law is subject to Section 2 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:18 am

I'm not homophobic, I'm just not willing to risk the new lens on my camera. It's homophobic and gays kissing might break it. Well that's right, but the manufacturer won't take it back, says it's my fault for mistreating the lens. Which is ridiculous, I'm quite sure they're discriminating against me for my religion. Wouldn't they rather have a gay photographer anyway?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:19 am

Vassenor wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

So which of the listed protected characteristics does saying no to the Klan fall under?

Many Klan groups are registered as religious organizations.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 am

If you make that loophole official, I think lawyers could get a house through it. Art could be just about any physical thing, and a great many services.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:25 am

New haven america wrote:Remember guys, businesses are allowed to serve and discriminate against whoever they want. Unless of course you're supposed to do things like wear a mask in public and aren't allowed in a place of business otherwise, in which case that's counted as infringing on your civil rights.

Is this something that applies more to America than Canada? Yeah. Are there people on both sides of the border who would argue for the former and the latter? Yes as well.

I mean. Honestly, I kind of hope we get to keep wearing masks in perpetuity.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 am

My opinion on this is the same as the one on the same-sex wedding cake: Businesses have the right to choose who to serve. Should a business be forced to video a Klan rally or make a cake with the words "Death to the n****rs" written on it?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:49 am

Picairn wrote:My opinion on this is the same as the one on the same-sex wedding cake: Businesses have the right to choose who to serve. Should a business be forced to video a Klan rally or make a cake with the words "Death to the n****rs" written on it?

So people in southern United States should have just said oh well and gone elsewhere or moved?

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:50 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
New haven america wrote:Remember guys, businesses are allowed to serve and discriminate against whoever they want. Unless of course you're supposed to do things like wear a mask in public and aren't allowed in a place of business otherwise, in which case that's counted as infringing on your civil rights.

Is this something that applies more to America than Canada? Yeah. Are there people on both sides of the border who would argue for the former and the latter? Yes as well.

I mean. Honestly, I kind of hope we get to keep wearing masks in perpetuity.

It won’t be mandated forever

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 am

San Lumen wrote:So people in southern United States should have just said oh well and gone elsewhere or moved?

So do you support businesses being forced to bake a cake with the words: "Death to the n****rs" written on it?
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:54 am

Picairn wrote:
San Lumen wrote:So people in southern United States should have just said oh well and gone elsewhere or moved?

So do you support businesses being forced to bake a cake with the words: "Death to the n****rs" written on it?

No and you didn’t answer my question. Plus who would want a cake like that?
Last edited by San Lumen on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General