NATION

PASSWORD

The events in Portland & the plan to take it nationwide

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

The events in Portland & the plan to take it nationwide

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Call me overly paranoid, but...

The events in portland have me terrified for my life, even more so now that the US gov has plans to go nationwide and are not apologizing, and are singling out Democrat-controlled regions. I've been posting on all my social media cryptic goodbyes, because I am aware of the historical precedent: Nazi Germany's Gestapo. They targeted the disabled and the gays, in addition to Jews and political opponents

As someone who is disabled and bisexual (realized it in 2013), and who likes to double checks history now and then, I am not expecting to make it through this, knowing the writing's been on the wall since 2016, at least for me.

Here's hoping I'm wrong :(

Relevant news bits:

https://www.motherjones.com/anti-racism ... your-town/

The Trump administration says the Department of Homeland Security can occupy downtown Portland, tear gas protesters, and arrest people on city streets with little explanation. Critics say that’s fascist. DHS says it’s a model to take on the road.

“With as much lawbreaking is going on, we’re seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction,” acting Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli told NPR on Friday. “That’s not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses. But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we’re responsible for around the country.”

In Portland, DHS, defying the express wishes of elected officials, appears to be using the fig leaf of defending federal property to pursue President Donald Trump’s wish to forcibly suppress unrest. In what critics call clearly unconstitutional behavior, camouflage-clad officers—Mother Jones reported on Friday that they are Border Patrol agents—have arrested protesters, allegedly without identifying or explaining themselves. Federal officers have used tear gas and shot projectiles from paintball guns at protesters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-glob ... SKCN24L1I1

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Monday said he would send law enforcement to more U.S. cities, as a federal crackdown on anti-racism protests in Oregon with unmarked cars and unidentified forces angered people across the country.

Trump, a Republican, cited New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland, California, as places to send federal agents, noting the cities’ mayors were “liberal Democrats.” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot frequently blasts Trump on Twitter.

“We’re sending law enforcement,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “We can’t let this happen to the cities.”

State and local leaders in Oregon, as well as members of Congress, have called for Trump to remove Department of Homeland Security secret police forces from Portland, Oregon, after videos showed unidentified federal personnel rounding up people and whisking them away in black minivans.
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Im okay with this.

Face masks don't hide your identity like they used to.
Last edited by Soiled fruit roll ups on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAGERA/TURRBULL/YEERONGPAN
FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN - ABORIGINAL

The United States is also a one party system but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.- Julius Nyerere.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Soiled fruit roll ups wrote:Im okay with this.

Why are you okay with people getting essentially kidnapped by the government?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:19 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Soiled fruit roll ups wrote:Im okay with this.

Why are you okay with people getting essentially kidnapped by the government?

Essentially kidnapped, is a stretch.

The United States is also a one party system but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.- Julius Nyerere.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Soiled fruit roll ups wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Why are you okay with people getting essentially kidnapped by the government?

Being taken off the street for unclear reasons by people with no identification and thrown into unmarked vans is a stretch to call kidnapping. K.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

Being taken off the street for unclear reasons by people with no identification and thrown into unmarked vans is a stretch to call kidnapping. K.

It's probably okay because it's only happening to libs. Or something.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

Cause sass is proving your point!

Slaughter None
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Slaughter None » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:26 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:Call me overly paranoid, but...

The events in portland have me terrified for my life, even more so now that the US gov has plans to go nationwide and are not apologizing, and are singling out Democrat-controlled regions. I've been posting on all my social media cryptic goodbyes, because I am aware of the historical precedent: Nazi Germany's Gestapo. They targeted the disabled and the gays, in addition to Jews and political opponents

As someone who is disabled and bisexual (realized it in 2013), and who likes to double checks history now and then, I am not expecting to make it through this, knowing the writing's been on the wall since 2016, at least for me.

Relevant news bits:

The Trump administration says the Department of Homeland Security can occupy downtown Portland, tear gas protesters, and arrest people on city streets with little explanation. Critics say that’s fascist. DHS says it’s a model to take on the road.

“With as much lawbreaking is going on, we’re seeking to prosecute as many people as are breaking the law as it relates to federal jurisdiction,” acting Homeland Security Deputy Secretary Ken Cuccinelli told NPR on Friday. “That’s not always happening with respect to local jurisdiction and local offenses. But, you know, this is a posture we intend to continue not just in Portland but in any of the facilities that we’re responsible for around the country.”

In Portland, DHS, defying the express wishes of elected officials, appears to be using the fig leaf of defending federal property to pursue President Donald Trump’s wish to forcibly suppress unrest. In what critics call clearly unconstitutional behavior, camouflage-clad officers—Mother Jones reported on Friday that they are Border Patrol agents—have arrested protesters, allegedly without identifying or explaining themselves. Federal officers have used tear gas and shot projectiles from paintball guns at protesters.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Monday said he would send law enforcement to more U.S. cities, as a federal crackdown on anti-racism protests in Oregon with unmarked cars and unidentified forces angered people across the country.

Trump, a Republican, cited New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland, California, as places to send federal agents, noting the cities’ mayors were “liberal Democrats.” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot frequently blasts Trump on Twitter.

“We’re sending law enforcement,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “We can’t let this happen to the cities.”

State and local leaders in Oregon, as well as members of Congress, have called for Trump to remove Department of Homeland Security secret police forces from Portland, Oregon, after videos showed unidentified federal personnel rounding up people and whisking them away in black minivans.

You are going a little paranoid, you don't need to worry unless you are committing violent acts and also before saying something as drastic as saying you are in a neo- fascist state pls do remember that HS are not targeting specific races or innocent civilians and at the very least you still have the 2nd amendment which suprising enough is not supported by democrats.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Being taken off the street for unclear reasons by people with no identification and thrown into unmarked vans is a stretch to call kidnapping. K.

Pointing out how this is pretty much the classic kidnapping scenario is now sass. K.

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

Pointing out how this is pretty much the classic kidnapping scenario is now sass. K.

Yeap.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Slaughter None wrote:

Relevant news bits:

You are going a little paranoid, you don't need to worry unless you are committing violent acts and also before saying something as drastic as saying you are in a neo- fascist state pls do remember that HS are not targeting specific races or innocent civilians and at the very least you still have the 2nd amendment which suprising enough is not supported by democrats.

Law enforcement agents aren’t targeting protesters who engaged in violence; they appear to be sweeping up random people who have exercised their rights under the First Amendment.

Like Mark Pettibone, 29, who was heading home in the early hours of Wednesday morning when, according to The Post’s Katie Shepherd, “several men in green military fatigues and generic ‘police’ patches sprang out of an unmarked gray minivan.” Pettibone was detained, searched, driven to the federal courthouse, placed in a holding cell and read his Miranda rights against self-incrimination. He declined to waive them. And then, about 90 minutes later, he was released.

“I just happened to be wearing black on a sidewalk in downtown Portland at the time,” Pettibone told Oregon Public Broadcasting. “And that apparently is grounds for detaining me.”

Lie some more uwu

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Pointing out how this is pretty much the classic kidnapping scenario is now sass. K.

Yeap.

Is that you, Katie McEnany?
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Pointing out how this is pretty much the classic kidnapping scenario is now sass. K.

Yeap.

Yeah, you're right. You're also right that it's proving my point.

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:50 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Yeap.

Yeah, you're right. You're also right that it's proving my point.

Thats nice dear.

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Slaughter None wrote:

Relevant news bits:

Kind of hard to take advantage of 2A and revolt if one has been thoroughly brainwashed into rooting for the very government that's begun oppressing people it doesn't like.
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

The Bright Hand Imperium
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bright Hand Imperium » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:53 pm

It would be really funny if more of those kinds of people were disappeared lol
Nation is like 85% my views

OOC:
I'm basically a clone of Francis Parker Yockey
Anti democracy
Aspiring raw meat and dairy eater
Affinity for theocracy but prefer secular gov't
Balkanize America and expand Germany

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:58 pm

The Bright Hand Imperium wrote:It would be really funny if more of those kinds of people were disappeared lol

*** Warned for trolling ***

Go read the Rules.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Bright Hand Imperium
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bright Hand Imperium » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Bright Hand Imperium wrote:It would be really funny if more of those kinds of people were disappeared lol

*** Warned for trolling ***

Go read the Rules.

k
Nation is like 85% my views

OOC:
I'm basically a clone of Francis Parker Yockey
Anti democracy
Aspiring raw meat and dairy eater
Affinity for theocracy but prefer secular gov't
Balkanize America and expand Germany

Wahlid
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Wahlid » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:03 pm

I really hope this kind of stuff doesn't continue or escalate during the next administration...
"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Factbooks | iiWiki

Slaughter None
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Slaughter None » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:06 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:
Slaughter None wrote:You are going a little paranoid, you don't need to worry unless you are committing violent acts and also before saying something as drastic as saying you are in a neo- fascist state pls do remember that HS are not targeting specific races or innocent civilians and at the very least you still have the 2nd amendment which suprising enough is not supported by democrats.

Kind of hard to take advantage of 2A and revolt if one has been thoroughly brainwashed into rooting for the very government that's begun oppressing people it doesn't like.

Have you seen the scene on the scenes. Are you going to seriously support these anarchists? And if anybody is brainwashed here it's you as I see the footage and then judge for myself.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:10 pm

And people kept trying to tell me that there wasn't going to be another civil war happening. How the turntables.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Slaughter None
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Slaughter None » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm

Torisakia wrote:And people kept trying to tell me that there wasn't going to be another civil war happening. How the turntables.

Nice reference although the show has been ruined by Greg Daniels.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pm

If you guys thought the leftist radicals in Democrat-run cities are violent enough, this is really going to make them turn into even worse people (seriously, the Democrat-run cities are just as bad as Nazi Germany). I'm sorry, but it's pretty obvious we're headed for a civil war if the American left doesn't act civilized for once.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Kyundao wrote:If you guys thought the leftist radicals in Democrat-run cities are violent enough, this is really going to make them turn into even worse people (seriously, the Democrat-run cities are just as bad as Nazi Germany). I'm sorry, but it's pretty obvious we're headed for a civil war if the American left doesn't act civilized for once.

You're saying that as if there are other political sides out there that are civilized. I'm aware it's only a small minority, but it's not just the Democrats you know.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Slaughter None
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Slaughter None » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Kyundao wrote:If you guys thought the leftist radicals in Democrat-run cities are violent enough, this is really going to make them turn into even worse people (seriously, the Democrat-run cities are just as bad as Nazi Germany). I'm sorry, but it's pretty obvious we're headed for a civil war if the American left doesn't act civilized for once.

You're saying that as if there are other political sides out there that are civilized. I'm aware it's only a small minority, but it's not just the Democrats you know.

This not the time to point fingers let's first remove the violence in the streets and then we can start arguing, as I think we can all agree that violence whether of the police or the rioters is bad.
Last edited by Slaughter None on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General