NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread V: A Shot in the Arm (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 pm

Diahon wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
There has to be more coordination as to what course of action the government is gonna take. The shutdowns are not meant to be a permanent measure but damn no one ever even actually shuts down so it just keeps going.

Think about it. The government bans any gatherings to prevent covid. People gather in secret and covid keeps spreading as a result. The government extends the shutdown hoping we'll turn a corner eventually if we give it time but the corner is never turned. It's fucked up and imo we need to focus more on encouraging masking, crowd size restrictions in businesses, and ramping testing up crazy high. Instead, half the states are basically gonna put their people on house arrest till May while the other half do fuck all to stop the virus, and you get the worst of both worlds. I hate this situation so much.

can't have "more coordination" when the desire to downplay leaks from the tippy fucking top

So the first step will be the responsibility of the people on Tuesday.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:58 pm

Rusozak wrote:
Diahon wrote:
can't have "more coordination" when the desire to downplay leaks from the tippy fucking top

So the first step will be the responsibility of the people on Tuesday.

trump wouldn't have his day in the sun if not for his trumpsters, so

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:20 pm

Something is better than nothing. Air travel is particularly easy to screen: they already have everyone's ID, everyone is on foot with a barrier they have to pass. Won't take the test? Get back on the plane.

Most motorists are ID'd already: they're driving their own car. Testing takes a minute.

I'd probably throw in compulsory quarantine for anyone with a temperature or clear symptoms, until their covid test comes back.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Cocuryeo
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cocuryeo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Something is better than nothing. Air travel is particularly easy to screen: they already have everyone's ID, everyone is on foot with a barrier they have to pass. Won't take the test? Get back on the plane.

Most motorists are ID'd already: they're driving their own car. Testing takes a minute.

I'd probably throw in compulsory quarantine for anyone with a temperature or clear symptoms, until their covid test comes back.

It's already happening in foreign nations, just not wherever you live.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:04 am

No new Community Transmission cases at all today in Australia for the first time since our Second Wave began. I hope it is the end of any such waves, since this one was around nine times worse than our first wave.

Cocuryeo
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cocuryeo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 am

Albrenia wrote:No new Community Transmission cases at all today in Australia for the first time since our Second Wave began. I hope it is the end of any such waves, since this one was around nine times worse than our first wave.

What level is Australian social distancing at?

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:There has to be more coordination as to what course of action the government is gonna take. The shutdowns are not meant to be a permanent measure but damn no one ever even actually shuts down so it just keeps going.

Think about it. The government bans any gatherings to prevent covid. People gather in secret and covid keeps spreading as a result. The government extends the shutdown hoping we'll turn a corner eventually if we give it time but the corner is never turned. It's fucked up and imo we need to focus more on encouraging masking, crowd size restrictions in businesses, and ramping testing up crazy high. Instead, half the states are basically gonna put their people on house arrest till May while the other half do fuck all to stop the virus, and you get the worst of both worlds. I hate this situation so much.
Or worse, even with people following all the rules the bare minimum that people needed to do to survive was all the virus needed to linger. The virus didn't need to spread, all it needed to do was linger.

Even in places that followed the rules COVID lingered, not even China was 100% there, they can say what they want.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:13 am

Cocuryeo wrote:
Albrenia wrote:No new Community Transmission cases at all today in Australia for the first time since our Second Wave began. I hope it is the end of any such waves, since this one was around nine times worse than our first wave.

What level is Australian social distancing at?

The usual 1.5 metres I believe, with varying levels of bans on large gatherings depending on the states. Also a lot of preventing of people crossing boarders of states needlessly, which has choked its ability to spread from the clusters.

Although masks, hand washing and all obviously helped a lot, I think a big hero in this was contact tracing. Being able to hunt down the spread when a case is found so that people exposed can be tested and made aware has let us do quite well.

In my opinion, anyway.

Cocuryeo
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cocuryeo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:13 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:There has to be more coordination as to what course of action the government is gonna take. The shutdowns are not meant to be a permanent measure but damn no one ever even actually shuts down so it just keeps going.

Or worse, even with people following all the rules the bare minimum that people needed to do to survive was all the virus needed to linger. The virus didn't need to spread, all it needed to do was linger.

Even in places that followed the rules COVID lingered, not even China was 100% there, they can say what they want.

Someone told me they lobbied the court when the U.S. sued China for the coronavirus, but I don't think that's true.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 am

The Lone Alliance wrote:

I don't know. I mean, look at how extreme China was. They were literally sealing people in their homes for 70 days or something shutting down entire cities this way ensuring zero movement. That sort of thing might just be enough.
Frankly I wish our governments would just do something like that. Close all border crossings until the plague is done, no exceptions. And than do a total lockdown for a month or two with no leaving your home unless you work with an essential service. And in the meantime mobilize the military to clean the streets and deliver supplies.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Cocuryeo
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cocuryeo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:05 am

Purpelia wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote: Or worse, even with people following all the rules the bare minimum that people needed to do to survive was all the virus needed to linger. The virus didn't need to spread, all it needed to do was linger.

I don't know. I mean, look at how extreme China was. They were literally sealing people in their homes for 70 days or something shutting down entire cities this way ensuring zero movement. That sort of thing might just be enough.
Frankly I wish our governments would just do something like that. Close all border crossings until the plague is done, no exceptions. And than do a total lockdown for a month or two with no leaving your home unless you work with an essential service. And in the meantime mobilize the military to clean the streets and deliver supplies.

I think it's because they had a really large population, and they had trouble controlling all of them.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:47 am

Data as of November 1st, 1600 PHT/0300 EST.

Not helping is Typhoon Goni (PH name: Rolly) paying a visit. Worst case: the evacuation centers become Coof hotspots.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:54 am

Cocuryeo wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It's already happening in foreign nations, just not wherever you live.

Apparently US states are not empowered to close their own borders. Testing people requires ID-ing them, so maybe they're freaking out about ID checks at the state border.

There probably are valid concerns about people who live near the NY borders, and cross the border on a daily basis to go to work or go home, visit their boyfriend, whatever. Nobody wants two Covid tests a day, also it would be a waste of tests. So I guess those people would have to be given border passes.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:26 pm

Where are the covid states for Halloween? They're abnormally absent.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Where are the covid states for Halloween? They're abnormally absent.

According to google it looks to be around like 84,000. Which is bad, but keeping with the current trend...
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Andsed wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:Where are the covid states for Halloween? They're abnormally absent.

According to google it looks to be around like 84,000. Which is bad, but keeping with the current trend...

How many people deceased?

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:37 pm

The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Andsed wrote:According to google it looks to be around like 84,000. Which is bad, but keeping with the current trend...

Like 800 or so. So yeah things are still extremely fucked.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:38 pm

Andsed wrote:

Like 800 or so. So yeah things are still extremely fucked.

I heard Fauci finally lost his cool with Trump.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 pm

For the record, this guy is a neurologist. No part of this is within his area of expertise.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Andsed wrote:Like 800 or so. So yeah things are still extremely fucked.

Well Donald's own man is on Russia Today of all fucking places arguing for doing nothing so.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Andsed wrote:Like 800 or so. So yeah things are still extremely fucked.

Cant blame him tbh. If I had the chance I would be very fucking tempted to throw hands with him.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Imagine someone in JFK's administration going on TASS in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis denouncing Washington's response to it. That's where we are now.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Andsed wrote:

Cant blame him tbh. If I had the chance I would be very fucking tempted to throw hands with him.

As would about 60% of Americans. Trump has always been fortunate to have security whether it be private or in this case the secret service though, because I knew some guys that did the same kinda "grab em by the pussy" shit and it often ended with them getting seriously injured. It's just like how Trump has never truly had to work for someone so he never has been fired from a job. This guy doesn't have to face consequences like you or I do and that's why he's a shitty president. He knows that if he ruins everything, nothing bad will happen to him. It'll just happen to us.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General