NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread V: A Shot in the Arm (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Valrifell wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Your not going to be able to sustain that for years to come

Why not? Wearing masks and social distancing is very non-invasive and helps slow the spread of COVID. It wouldn't be for years consecutively, just maybe for a few weeks whenever a confirmed case is found in a certain town or county.

How well did applying restrictions after detecting the first case work the first time?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Valrifell wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Your not going to be able to sustain that for years to come

Why not? Wearing masks and social distancing is very non-invasive and helps slow the spread of COVID. It wouldn't be for years consecutively, just maybe for a few weeks whenever a confirmed case is found in a certain town or county.

If it gets bad enough, then the whole state may get involved, but presuming vaccination that may not be necessary.

Exactly. It would likely just be on a town level(maybe on a state level if it is particularly bad) and will just involve everyone wearing masks and social distancing for like a week or two and some testing and then it ends. That will still allow businesses to function and will (along with the vaccine) go a long way in preventing a second wave.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:39 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

How well did applying restrictions after detecting the first case work the first time?

We didn't apply restrictions after detecting the first case, is the problem. Well, technically we did, but it's more accurate to say that restrictions weren't placed until we had several hundred cases.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

We didn't apply restrictions after detecting the first case, is the problem. Well, technically we did, but it's more accurate to say that restrictions weren't placed until we had several hundred cases.

If the virus was supposed to disappear in April when the heat came in, how come the worst hot spots are in the south, in the summer?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

If the virus was supposed to disappear in April when the heat came in, how come the worst hot spots are in the south, in the summer?

Because Republican politicians "politely" refuse to listen to the advice of epidemiologists and other pandemic experts.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If the virus was supposed to disappear in April when the heat came in, how come the worst hot spots are in the south, in the summer?

Because Republican politicians "politely" refuse to listen to the advice of epidemiologists and other pandemic experts.

Yeah, okay, but shouldn't the blazing heat of summer eradicated it? President Trump said it would.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Yeah, okay, but shouldn't the blazing heat of summer eradicated it? President Trump said it would.

I'm certain it has done so...outdoors. Problem is most people and businesses don't exactly turn off the AC (one of the most effective means of spreading the virus) and open the windows during summer in the US. Rather ironic that the least developed countries without widespread AC and younger populations are the most equipped to contain SARS-CoV-2. In any case I expect this will all be over one way or another with around 340k deaths in the US.

That being said, this was all supposed to go from 15 cases to zero back in February according to that dipshit.
Last edited by Vetalia on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:09 pm

Andsed wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

If it gets bad enough, then the whole state may get involved, but presuming vaccination that may not be necessary.

Exactly. It would likely just be on a town level(maybe on a state level if it is particularly bad) and will just involve everyone wearing masks and social distancing for like a week or two and some testing and then it ends. That will still allow businesses to function and will (along with the vaccine) go a long way in preventing a second wave.

It's quaint how you both talk about "towns". Are you talking about cities ... or can the cities just go to hell?

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:Exactly. It would likely just be on a town level(maybe on a state level if it is particularly bad) and will just involve everyone wearing masks and social distancing for like a week or two and some testing and then it ends. That will still allow businesses to function and will (along with the vaccine) go a long way in preventing a second wave.

It's quaint how you both talk about "towns". Are you talking about cities ... or can the cities just go to hell?

That's quite the story you inferred from a single word choice.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:18 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:It's quaint how you both talk about "towns". Are you talking about cities ... or can the cities just go to hell?

No, it's a simple fact that population density and SARS-CoV-2 prevalence are correlated.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:Exactly. It would likely just be on a town level(maybe on a state level if it is particularly bad) and will just involve everyone wearing masks and social distancing for like a week or two and some testing and then it ends. That will still allow businesses to function and will (along with the vaccine) go a long way in preventing a second wave.

I thought it would be clear that what we were proposing would also apply to cites. Granted it would have to be more than a single case to enact on the entire city, but if there was enough confirmed cases the same polices would apply.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:26 pm

San Lumen wrote:https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/508530-fauci-on-coronavirus-i-dont-really-see-us-eradicating

What is Fauci suggesting here? That even with a vaccine we wont eliminate it and mandatory masks, social distancing and lockdowns might never fully go away or be reinstated at any time? I thought the whole point of vaccine was to eliminate it?

Just because the virus hasn't been eradicated doesn't mean you need mandatory masks and social distancing.

Flu hasn't been eradicated. Have you had masks and social distancing ever since 1918? No. The fatality rate went down on its own due to natural immunity, and that was even before they invented flu shots.

Measles hasn't been eradicated despite the existence of a very effective vaccine. Do you need masks and social distancing to control that? No. You just need to use the vaccine.

After a while, some combination of natural immunity and vaccination will reduce the rate of COVID infections and deaths, even if the virus is not eradicated.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:44 pm

Adamede wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

That's quite the story you inferred from a single word choice.

I live in a city. The implication that the country and the town are all that matters to you, bothered me.

ED: Never mind, Andsed explained.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:48 pm

Andsed wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I thought it would be clear that what we were proposing would also apply to cites. Granted it would have to be more than a single case to enact on the entire city, but if there was enough confirmed cases the same polices would apply.

OK. When our city of Melbourne had the beginnings of a second wave, they shut down 4 suburbs, by postcode. Then it was 7 and now it's the whole city. 403 new cases yesterday.

I don't think anyone really expected shutting down enclaves of a city, according to an invisible postcode line, to work. They tried anyway. It didn't work. I suppose it might have slowed it down?

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:I thought it would be clear that what we were proposing would also apply to cites. Granted it would have to be more than a single case to enact on the entire city, but if there was enough confirmed cases the same polices would apply.

OK. When our city of Melbourne had the beginnings of a second wave, they shut down 4 suburbs, by postcode. Then it was 7 and now it's the whole city. 403 new cases yesterday.

I don't think anyone really expected shutting down enclaves of a city, according to an invisible postcode line, to work. They tried anyway. It didn't work. I suppose it might have slowed it down?

Must be nice to have people actually give a shit about the situation. Can't relate.

Are Australia and New Zealand still accepting 'COVID refugees'? Asking for myself.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:01 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:I thought it would be clear that what we were proposing would also apply to cites. Granted it would have to be more than a single case to enact on the entire city, but if there was enough confirmed cases the same polices would apply.

Right, but that's now without a vaccine or herd immunity. If a large part of the population are already vaccinated or recovered, it becomes easier to contain outbreaks.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 pm

-SARS- wrote:
San Lumen wrote:https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/508530-fauci-on-coronavirus-i-dont-really-see-us-eradicating

What is Fauci suggesting here? That even with a vaccine we wont eliminate it and mandatory masks, social distancing and lockdowns might never fully go away or be reinstated at any time? I thought the whole point of vaccine was to eliminate it?

Just because the virus hasn't been eradicated doesn't mean you need mandatory masks and social distancing.

Flu hasn't been eradicated. Have you had masks and social distancing ever since 1918? No. The fatality rate went down on its own due to natural immunity, and that was even before they invented flu shots.

Measles hasn't been eradicated despite the existence of a very effective vaccine. Do you need masks and social distancing to control that? No. You just need to use the vaccine.

After a while, some combination of natural immunity and vaccination will reduce the rate of COVID infections and deaths, even if the virus is not eradicated.

I’m really glad that we might soon not have to worry about masks and social distancing.

I don’t think I could live in a world with permanent mask and social distancing rules. I think that’s why my mental health hasn’t been so great in the past few months.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Xmara wrote:
-SARS- wrote:

I’m really glad that we might soon not have to worry about masks and social distancing.

I don’t think I could live in a world with permanent mask and social distancing rules. I think that’s why my mental health hasn’t been so great in the past few months.

Can confirm, I've been on the edge of losing my mind since around late May.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:14 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Xmara wrote:I’m really glad that we might soon not have to worry about masks and social distancing.

Can confirm, I've been on the edge of losing my mind since around late May.

Honestly, I'm tired of it too. This nation is a coping mechanism.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Must be nice to have people actually give a shit about the situation. Can't relate.

Are Australia and New Zealand still accepting 'COVID refugees'? Asking for myself.

We have a second wave in Sydney too. We closed the border too late imo. But at least Sydneysiders have fresh ammo in the perennial "Sydney/Melbourne which is worse" contest.

No and No.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 pm

-SARS- wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:Can confirm, I've been on the edge of losing my mind since around late May.

I’ve had breakdowns, panic attacks, and mood swings since late March/early April. My mood has oscillated between content, apathetic, hopeless, fearful, and angry.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Torisakia wrote:Must be nice to have people actually give a shit about the situation. Can't relate.

We have a second wave in Sydney too. We closed the border too late imo. But at least Sydneysiders have fresh ammo in the perennial "Sydney/Melbourne which is worse" contest.

No and No.

Dammit. Sooner or later some country will take me in so I can get out of this horrible country. I'd settle for the DRC or Saudi Arabia at this point.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 am

Xmara wrote:
-SARS- wrote:

I’ve had breakdowns, panic attacks, and mood swings since late March/early April. My mood has oscillated between content, apathetic, hopeless, fearful, and angry.

My mental health is the worst it's been in years. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed. Even getting up to eat is like, "Do I really have to?"

I think I already caught the virus, but people still want to get up my ass about it if I don't take the same precautions they're taking.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 am

-SARS- wrote:
Xmara wrote:I’ve had breakdowns, panic attacks, and mood swings since late March/early April. My mood has oscillated between content, apathetic, hopeless, fearful, and angry.

My mental health is the worst it's been in years. Some days I don't even want to get out of bed. Even getting up to eat is like, "Do I really have to?"

I think I already caught the virus, but people still want to get up my ass about it if I don't take the same precautions they're taking.

You should still take precautions to protect other people, even if you think you already had covid-19.
Last edited by Ifreann on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:41 am

Meanwhile, in England - is Pret still a shop?... It's worth noting that the Scottish legislation on face coverings in shop explicitly excludes cafes, restaurants, bars and pubs
Last edited by Tinhampton on Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General