NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread V: A Shot in the Arm (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:You severely underestimate just how secure these labs are. Anyone trying to raid one would need to take massive preparations which could very well alert US intelligence and even if they managed to pull it off there would be a massive man hunt for them. Trying to break into these facilitates for a bio bomb would be very difficult.

Yeah, I'm no longer interested in being told again that bio facilities are more secure than a bank vault. That seems so implausible to me I won't be responding any more, unless someone presents evidence.

Again: 40 years of being (a) pretty much the highest value target for terrorist groups besides actual nuclear silos and (b) having their locations being public knowledge is plenty of evidence. Or do you also doubt that nuclear silos have better security than banks? Because it's pretty much the same security.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 am

Elevanos wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
So you’re going to ignore effective lockdowns in places outside of the US? There is also the notable difference of how officials handle each lockdown.

Like which nations?

I would say South Korea, Japan, New Zealand, most of the EU, and a few others.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:10 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Yeah, I'm no longer interested in being told again that bio facilities are more secure than a bank vault. That seems so implausible to me I won't be responding any more, unless someone presents evidence.

Again: 40 years of being (a) pretty much the highest value target for terrorist groups besides actual nuclear silos and (b) having their locations being public knowledge is plenty of evidence.

Are you saying that no-one has tried, therefore it's impossible? Or are you saying that someone did try and failed ... therefore it's impossible? Cos' neither of those seems like strong evidence. You're hanging a lot off zero data points!

Or do you also doubt that nuclear silos have better security than banks? Because it's pretty much the same security.

I said bank vaults: it doesn't imply a bank that is trading and opens the vault from time to time. And the great thing about a bank vault is that it resists physical intrusion for a good long while. OK if someone brings a TOW missile they can get in quickly, but there won't be anything worth stealing inside besides a pile of gold.

State troopers at the front door and multiple levels of electronic security actually don't impress me that much. These keycard-operated doors are armoured I hope?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Again: 40 years of being (a) pretty much the highest value target for terrorist groups besides actual nuclear silos and (b) having their locations being public knowledge is plenty of evidence.

Are you saying that no-one has tried, therefore it's impossible? Or are you saying that someone did try and failed ... therefore it's impossible? Cos' neither of those seems like strong evidence. You're hanging a lot off zero data points!

No, I'm saying that lots of people have tried, and zero of them have even gotten remotely close.

Or do you also doubt that nuclear silos have better security than banks? Because it's pretty much the same security.

I said bank vaults: it doesn't imply a bank that is trading and opens the vault from time to time. And the great thing about a bank vault is that it resists physical intrusion for a good long while. OK if someone brings a TOW missile they can get in quickly, but there won't be anything worth stealing inside besides a pile of gold.

I have no fucking clue what relevance you think that has, but it doesn't. Again: these labs are about as secure as nuclear silos. Are you claiming that nuclear weapons are kept less securely than bank vaults?
State troopers at the front door and multiple levels of electronic security actually don't impress me that much. These keycard-operated doors are armoured I hope?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

No, I'm saying that lots of people have tried, and zero of them have even gotten remotely close.

Lots huh?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:21 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Lots huh?

The standing point is that bio-terrorism is exceedingly rare.

Are there any examples of successful infiltrations of laboratories and the CDC you wanna talk about to discredit that?

If not, I think it's safe to say that if there's no evidence that shit happens... It's never happened.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 am

The Rich Port wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lots huh?

Are there any examples of successful infiltrations of laboratories and the CDC you wanna talk about to discredit that?

If not, I think it's safe to say that if there's no evidence that shit happens... It's never happened.

The consequences of it happening are so terrible, I think it's reasonable to be sceptical about some state troopers and multiple levels of electronic security. If it's just 5 years out of date, it's rather useless against a well-resourced infiltrator.

Fingerprint scans? The hair on the back of my neck just went up.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The consequences of it happening are so terrible, I think it's reasonable to be sceptical about some state troopers and multiple levels of electronic security. If it's just 5 years out of date, it's rather useless against a well-resourced infiltrator.

It's been well established that even the genocidally insane would be too smart to use biological weapons and anybody too lethally stupid wouldn't be able to get to them to begin with.

Like I brought up, if Coronavirus is a biological terrorism attack, and even if it wasn't, why has nobody claimed responsibility for it?

Because you would piss off every single government in the world if you did, is why.

ISIS tried that and look at where they're at now, either in sweating as they look over their shoulders waiting for someone to stab them in the back, six feet under the desert sands, rotting in shitty camp prisons, or being used as pincushions by their enemies.

In other words. Hey guy, relaaaaax, I actually ain't got any WMDs.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:Well, Covid originated from bats, so it's safe to assume the similar is likely to happen. Though it would need quite some years. Really, the real long term solution is more funding for research and development of rapid vaccine production technology, as since technology is advancing, the risk of bioterrorism is getting larger.

One of the silver linings for this pandemic is that we have massively accelerated mRNA development and testing. Once that's gotten through this rather impromptu stress test, it'll be able to generate vaccines dramatically quicker than anything else (there's a reason Moderna aren't far behind Oxford, despite Oxford having started with a massive lead). They generated their vaccine candidate within a few days, and they can switch in the genetic material for different viruses just as quickly.

Another silver lining from this pandemic is that the world is finally waking up to the rotting turd pile which is the CCP
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
One of the silver linings for this pandemic is that we have massively accelerated mRNA development and testing. Once that's gotten through this rather impromptu stress test, it'll be able to generate vaccines dramatically quicker than anything else (there's a reason Moderna aren't far behind Oxford, despite Oxford having started with a massive lead). They generated their vaccine candidate within a few days, and they can switch in the genetic material for different viruses just as quickly.

Another silver lining from this pandemic is that the world is finally waking up to the rotting turd pile which is the CCP

Other than sharing the first three words, your post has nothing to do with Salandriagado's.

If you want to change the subject to the CCP, you should make a post about it. Instead of pretending to be replying. And maybe bring some content that isn't turd-related?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:28 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Another silver lining from this pandemic is that the world is finally waking up to the rotting turd pile which is the CCP

Other than sharing the first three words, your post has nothing to do with Salandriagado's.

If you want to change the subject to the CCP, you should make a post about it. Instead of pretending to be replying. And maybe bring some content that isn't turd-related?

Ok, fine
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

It is not just that. If you want to even get into the area where these things are being held you have to be wearing full bodied air supplied suits. And as Salandriagado has also pointed out these facilitates have the ability to destroy these things before anyone could get to it. Besides most robberies are not a bunch of gunmen going in and forcing their way though. Because that rarely goes well. Most of the time a robbery is someone sneaking weapons into a bank and secretly giving the teller a note threatening them. Something that is not even remotely possible in a level 4 bio lab. These bio labs have tight security.
Last edited by Andsed on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:40 am

Andsed wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It is not just that. If you want to even get into the area where these things are being held you have to be wearing full bodied air supplied suits. And as Salandriagado has also pointed out these facilitates have the ability to destroy these things before anyone could get to it. Besides most robberies are not a bunch of gunmen going in and forcing their way though. Because that rarely goes well. Most of the time a robbery is someone sneaking weapons into a bank and secretly giving the teller a note threatening them. Something that is not even remotely possible in a level 4 bio lab. These bio labs have tight security.

Fingerprint scans. Not retinal scans. Fingerprints ...

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:45 am

--EDITED-OUT--
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:48 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Andsed wrote:It is not just that. If you want to even get into the area where these things are being held you have to be wearing full bodied air supplied suits. And as Salandriagado has also pointed out these facilitates have the ability to destroy these things before anyone could get to it. Besides most robberies are not a bunch of gunmen going in and forcing their way though. Because that rarely goes well. Most of the time a robbery is someone sneaking weapons into a bank and secretly giving the teller a note threatening them. Something that is not even remotely possible in a level 4 bio lab. These bio labs have tight security.

Live finger print scans are more secure than fingerprint scsns. If you cut off someone's finger, you have their finger print.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The consequences are essentially zero: all of these labs have the ability to incinerate everything they're working on essentially instantly, so the actual consequences of somebody somehow managing to get into the actual lab is that their research gets set back by a few weeks as they get replacement samples from the other lab.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:56 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Live finger print scans are more secure than fingerprint scsns. If you cut off someone's finger, you have their finger print.

My impression is they're a dead end in high security. No matter how sophisticated the scanner, someone will make a better imitation of human skin (with someone else's fingerprint) and stick it on their own finger.

Retinal scans could be fooled too, but making an artificial eye would be much harder, and holding it up without getting busted by video surveillance ... well never say never I guess.

What I'm really concerned about is the computer system running all this security (including surveillance). I don't know and I'm not going to ask. I just hope it's modern and competently administered.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

The consequences are essentially zero: all of these labs have the ability to incinerate everything they're working on essentially instantly, so the actual consequences of somebody somehow managing to get into the actual lab is that their research gets set back by a few weeks as they get replacement samples from the other lab.

Hopefully the really nasty stuff is stored with that kind of self-destruct built into it's casket as a last resort. Really long-term storage would be in liquid nitrogen, wouldn't it?

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 am

GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 am

Ozone is pretty nasty stuff. I'd like the mayor to demonstrate it on himself before I consider it for my own tender hole.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Ozone is pretty nasty stuff. I'd like the mayor to demonstrate it on himself before I consider it for my own tender hole.

The best part of that article is 'The mayor, who is also a doctor...'
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:16 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

The best part of that article is 'The mayor, who is also a doctor...'

The best part of the article is the picture they chose! I wouldn't let that man give medical assistance to a pot plant.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:06 am

One of the bigger TV pundits here just drank chlorine dioxide live on camera and recommended that her viewers did it too, as some sort of "cure" for the rona.

be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:11 am

Liriena wrote:One of the bigger TV pundits here just drank chlorine dioxide live on camera and recommended that her viewers did it too, as some sort of "cure" for the rona.

Are the Darwin awards still a thing?

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 am

Liriena wrote:One of the bigger TV pundits here just drank chlorine dioxide live on camera and recommended that her viewers did it too, as some sort of "cure" for the rona.

Link, please?

Just out of curiosity.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General