NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread V: A Shot in the Arm (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:52 pm

My reusable face masks arrived. Finally. So much better than those dust masks I've been wearing. They were supposed to arrive a week ago. Get your shit together, Australia Post
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:57 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:My reusable face masks arrived. Finally. So much better than those dust masks I've been wearing. They were supposed to arrive a week ago. Get your shit together, Australia Post

When I send stuff to family in Australia it has a funny habit of going to the wrong place, to the point where I now stick a note in saying 'If this parcel is not for you, please contact these numbers.'
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:My reusable face masks arrived. Finally. So much better than those dust masks I've been wearing. They were supposed to arrive a week ago. Get your shit together, Australia Post

At least they did arrive.

You: "You guys lost my package!"
AP: "what package?"
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

One of mine ended up somewhere in the northern territory when it was sent to WA.

What does the delivery guy think when he sees an address in Joondalup? 'I know I'm thousands of miles away but it'll do!'
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 am

CoraSpia wrote:

When I send stuff to family in Australia it has a funny habit of going to the wrong place, to the point where I now stick a note in saying 'If this parcel is not for you, please contact these numbers.'

I once received a package which was intended for the person who lived across the road. I delivered the parcel to the correct address and told Australia Post off. The intended recipient also told off Australia Post. They never made that mistake again

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I actually contacted Australia Post on Friday, and they had no idea where it was. I went to the local post office and told them that it was missing. They couldn't idnetify the tracking number. But yea, I'm glad that they arrived
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

One of mine ended up somewhere in the northern territory when it was sent to WA.

What does the delivery guy think when he sees an address in Joondalup? 'I know I'm thousands of miles away but it'll do!'

Did you have the correct post code? Did you tell off Australia Post?

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:11 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:One of mine ended up somewhere in the northern territory when it was sent to WA.

Did you have the correct post code? Did you tell off Australia Post?

Yes and yes. Some randomer got a load of english food though.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Did you have the correct post code? Did you tell off Australia Post?

Yes and yes. Some randomer got a load of english food though.

Shit. NT has post codes which start with 0, whilst WA's post codes start with 6. How did they fuck that up?

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:14 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

Does that answer your question?

Not entirely. Has you doctor signed a certificate saying that because of your condition you can't wear a mask?

Read again. Touch sensitive. They will panic/ flip out at feeling the mask on their skin. So yes. The doctor will tell them not to wear masks.

My case of hayfever and copd does make wearing precarious.
Luckily I only need to wear on when in public transport. Which I don't use rn.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:17 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:That's not the procedure in the UK. You don't have to have a certificate signed by your doctor, because you know it's a bit of a dick move to get disabled people to prove they're disabled, because we've been asked to do that for years and it's seriously fucking demeaning. Police officers and staff are trained to recognise what the list of reasons you can't wear a facemask are, you tell them that's the reason you're not wearing one and they say 'okay.' Some companies sell exemption cards but anybody can buy one of those so they don't really prove much.

If I were a cop and "I have touch-sensitive autism" was your excuse, I'd give you a ticket. You can appeal it in court, where you WILL bring a doctor's note or lose.

This "I don't have to prove anything because it would be demeaning for me" does not strike me as valid. You're asking for an exception to a rule that applies to everyone, you should show some proof of why you should get that exception.

Assuming he/she doesn't have a doctor's note. Also, if you were a cop, you couldn't do jack shit to people who don't wear masks, because Gladys is yet to make them compuslory, for some idiotic reason. She's urging people to wear them, but refusing to make them compulsory, which doesn'y make sense

Tourais
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
If I were a cop and "I have touch-sensitive autism" was your excuse, I'd give you a ticket. You can appeal it in court, where you WILL bring a doctor's note or lose.

This "I don't have to prove anything because it would be demeaning for me" does not strike me as valid. You're asking for an exception to a rule that applies to everyone, you should show some proof of why you should get that exception.

Assuming he/she doesn't have a doctor's note. Also, if you were a cop, you couldn't do jack shit to people who don't wear masks, because Gladys is yet to make them compuslory, for some idiotic reason. She's urging people to wear them, but refusing to make them compulsory, which doesn'y make sense

Probably for reasons like CoraSpia
The UNITED REPUBLIC of TOURAIS
Population: 62 million | President: William Wilford-Priest | Capital: Inés-Olympe | Largest City: Lylou | Trigramme: TOU | Founded: 1324

Pronunciation: TOO - RAY

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Not entirely. Has you doctor signed a certificate saying that because of your condition you can't wear a mask?

Read again. Touch sensitive. They will panic/ flip out at feeling the mask on their skin. So yes. The doctor will tell them not to wear masks.

My case of hayfever and copd does make wearing precarious.
Luckily I only need to wear on when in public transport. Which I don't use rn.

I don't 'flip out' as it were, but it feels like I have insects crawling all over my skin.

It's anything on the head, I've been using the same brand of headphones for years despite the fact better ones exist because they don't set it off. Yes, I am that weird guy who doesn't wear a hood in the pouring rain, Haircuts are something to be dreaded.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:22 am

Tourais wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Assuming he/she doesn't have a doctor's note. Also, if you were a cop, you couldn't do jack shit to people who don't wear masks, because Gladys is yet to make them compuslory, for some idiotic reason. She's urging people to wear them, but refusing to make them compulsory, which doesn'y make sense

Probably for reasons like CoraSpia

This is Australia. We take good care of the disabled here. There would be exceptions. Not sure about England, though

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 am

Tourais wrote:Probably for reasons like CoraSpia

This is Australia. We take good care of the disabled here. There would be exceptions. Not sure about England, though

I'm amazed at how well it's been handled for disabled people in England honestly. I thought the government would make you jump through a million hoops to get an exemption in fear of it being abused, but they've done the complete opposite.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:25 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:This is Australia. We take good care of the disabled here. There would be exceptions. Not sure about England, though

I'm amazed at how well it's been handled for disabled people in England honestly. I thought the government would make you jump through a million hoops to get an exemption in fear of it being abused, but they've done the complete opposite.

Interesting

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:04 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Some people can't because they respiratory problems
Face shields exist.
CoraSpia wrote:It's pretty easy to equate facemasks to the burqa from the other side as well. I believe everyone should have the right to choose whether they wear either, for example.
...they do not compare.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Face shields exist.
CoraSpia wrote:It's pretty easy to equate facemasks to the burqa from the other side as well. I believe everyone should have the right to choose whether they wear either, for example.
...they do not compare.

I didn't that they do compare, of coarse they don't

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:10 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Face shields exist.
...they do not compare.

Why not ? Burqas in principle are superior facemasks since they also cover the eyes - which is an entrypoint for infection.

Of course, people are already selling transparant facemasks now to take away the whole "can no longer see faces".
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:14 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:Face shields exist....they do not compare.

Why not ? Burqas in principle are superior facemasks since they also cover the eyes - which is an entrypoint for infection.

Of course, people are already selling transparant facemasks now to take away the whole "can no longer see faces".

I can't see a transparent facemask as as effective as an opaque one.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:21 am

CoraSpia wrote:It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

I have aspberger's :hug:

Me too.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 am

I have aspberger's :hug:

There is no b in that word ;)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:25 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

I can't see a transparent facemask as as effective as an opaque one.

It's for hearing impaired. They need to be able to read your lips. Unless you a proficient in sign language. But even then, facial expressions will add depth to your signing.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I can't see a transparent facemask as as effective as an opaque one.

It's for hearing impaired. They need to be able to read your lips. Unless you a proficient in sign language. But even then, facial expressions will add depth to your signing.

I see

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I can't see a transparent facemask as as effective as an opaque one.

Some of my hearing impaired friends feel seriously isolated with the new facemask rules, since people (especially shop staff and the like who might be under orders from management to wear facemasks) are reluctant to remove them to allow them to communicate.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:37 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:It's for hearing impaired. They need to be able to read your lips. Unless you a proficient in sign language. But even then, facial expressions will add depth to your signing.

Some of my hearing impaired friends feel seriously isolated with the new facemask rules, since people (especially shop staff and the like who might be under orders from management to wear facemasks) are reluctant to remove them to allow them to communicate.

Ah, ok

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General