NATION

PASSWORD

Coronavirus Thread V: A Shot in the Arm (READ OP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tourais
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Over 6,600 COVID cases have been linked to U.S. colleges.

UT Austin has had more cases than any other college with 449. Good luck to all my fellow Longhorns that have to go there because of their one hybrid class.

Good thing my fall semester classes are all online...
The UNITED REPUBLIC of TOURAIS
Population: 62 million | President: William Wilford-Priest | Capital: Inés-Olympe | Largest City: Lylou | Trigramme: TOU | Founded: 1324

Pronunciation: TOO - RAY

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Some anti-maskers globally are equating the face mask to the burqa, stating that just as the burqa takes away women's rights, mandatory face masks take away everyone else's rights.

**sigh**

WEAR A DAMNED MASK!

It's pretty easy to equate facemasks to the burqa from the other side as well. I believe everyone should have the right to choose whether they wear either, for example.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm

-SARS- wrote:
Did China have a transparent government with good human rights when the SARS outbreak occurred? I think the political situation was better in some ways, but it was still the CCP and Westerners were still harping on them as if nothing had changed since Tiananmen Sq.

If you maintain that SARS outbreak was contained because the Chinese government was better back then, it means the West needs to rethink the way they talk about China.

If you maintain that the West has been right to criticize China so harshly all along, then you must also acknowledge that the difference between SARS and COVID is in the virus itself.

There was far far less travel back in SARS days, the one place that received infections was Vancouver due to the travel between HK.. but not so much out of China. Not the same for COVID, especially given it was around CNY. Between discovering, admitting and locking down Wuhan an estimated 5M had left the city.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Apparently the NI executive is gona make Masks mandatory in shops come the 20th if people dont step up their game. Should have been fucking mandatory already, if i can wear a mask for my shifts you can wear a mask for a few minutes in a fucking shop.

Speaking of which im the only member of staff in my shops that wears a mask consistently. At least out of everyone ive worked with since being back, occasionally they were wear a plastic face screen when going out onto the shop floor, but even sometimes they dont do that either.

I wish New South Wales would make face masks mandatory already , but unfortunately, that would require a compitant government. I purchased a reusable face mask from eBay, but unfortunately, it's lost in transit. Till it arrives, I'm stuck with single use

Is it really that hard to pass that kind of policy? West Java was pretty quick to make face mask mandatory and threatened a pretty lofty fine for violation. But the problem is in the enforcement, because last week I drove in front Gedung Sate (the governor's office), and directly across the street, is a crowded street market of bad sanitation packed with thousands of people who use mask but opened, so the mask just dangles on their chin. The Satpol PP police force, which is basically local mafia who were then employed by the city administration to maintain order, don't do anything either.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Tourais
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:01 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Some anti-maskers globally are equating the face mask to the burqa, stating that just as the burqa takes away women's rights, mandatory face masks take away everyone else's rights.

**sigh**

WEAR A DAMNED MASK!

It's pretty easy to equate facemasks to the burqa from the other side as well. I believe everyone should have the right to choose whether they wear either, for example.

Having to wear a mask does not take away a person's rights. It helps combat against the spread of this virus. It should remain mandated at this time.
Last edited by Tourais on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Population: 62 million | President: William Wilford-Priest | Capital: Inés-Olympe | Largest City: Lylou | Trigramme: TOU | Founded: 1324

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 pm

Tourais wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:It's pretty easy to equate facemasks to the burqa from the other side as well. I believe everyone should have the right to choose whether they wear either, for example.

Having to wear a mask does not take away a person's rights. It helps combat against the spread of this virus. It should remain mandated at this time.

I can't wear a mask. Should I just not leave the house?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Tourais
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:29 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Tourais wrote:Having to wear a mask does not take away a person's rights. It helps combat against the spread of this virus. It should remain mandated at this time.

Have you been leaving the house before? When you go out to public areas, do employees/authorities not tell you to wear a mask? If so, do you give them a good reason why you cannot wear a mask?

What's the outcome, and why can't you wear a mask?
Last edited by Tourais on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:30 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Tourais wrote:Having to wear a mask does not take away a person's rights. It helps combat against the spread of this virus. It should remain mandated at this time.

I have no reason to take your word for that. WHY can't you wear a mask?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:I can't wear a mask. Should I just not leave the house?

Some people can't because they respiratory problems
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I wish New South Wales would make face masks mandatory already , but unfortunately, that would require a compitant government. I purchased a reusable face mask from eBay, but unfortunately, it's lost in transit. Till it arrives, I'm stuck with single use

Is it really that hard to pass that kind of policy? West Java was pretty quick to make face mask mandatory and threatened a pretty lofty fine for violation. But the problem is in the enforcement, because last week I drove in front Gedung Sate (the governor's office), and directly across the street, is a crowded street market of bad sanitation packed with thousands of people who use mask but opened, so the mask just dangles on their chin. The Satpol PP police force, which is basically local mafia who were then employed by the city administration to maintain order, don't do anything either.

Is it really that hard to pass that policy? Apparently, it is
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Apparently the NI executive is gona make Masks mandatory in shops come the 20th if people dont step up their game. Should have been fucking mandatory already, if i can wear a mask for my shifts you can wear a mask for a few minutes in a fucking shop.

Speaking of which im the only member of staff in my shops that wears a mask consistently. At least out of everyone ive worked with since being back, occasionally they were wear a plastic face screen when going out onto the shop floor, but even sometimes they dont do that either.

I wish New South Wales would make face masks mandatory already , but unfortunately, that would require a compitant government. I purchased a reusable face mask from eBay, but unfortunately, it's lost in transit. Till it arrives, I'm stuck with single use

Wow.. reusable.masks, filters etc are in almost every supermarket and tourist shop here for a few euros... not to.mention the countless online offers.for ones with pretty prints...

Why is that not possible in your neck of the woods ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Just use an Electric Face Mask will solve this problem
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:41 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I wish New South Wales would make face masks mandatory already , but unfortunately, that would require a compitant government. I purchased a reusable face mask from eBay, but unfortunately, it's lost in transit. Till it arrives, I'm stuck with single use

Wow.. reusable.masks, filters etc are in almost every supermarket and tourist shop here for a few euros... not to.mention the countless online offers.for ones with pretty prints...

Your guess is as good as mine

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:

Your guess is as good as mine

I could send a few.. assuming those would not also be eaten by the transitbeasts ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:52 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Then they should carry around a doctor's note. But I suspect this is one of those "I asked Doctor Google and she said I had respiratory problems" self-diagnoses. No employer would accept that, so I don't see why a cop should. It's a fine for CoraSpia!

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Some people can't because they respiratory problems

Then they should carry around a doctor's note. But I suspect this is one of those "I asked Doctor Google and she said I had respiratory problems" self-diagnoses. No employer would accept that, so I don't see why a cop should. It's a fine for CoraSpia!

It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

Does that answer your question?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

Not entirely. Has you doctor signed a certificate saying that because of your condition you can't wear a mask?

Tourais
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:30 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

And what did your doctor say regarding face masks when they found out you had touch sensitive autism...

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

Not entirely. Has you doctor signed a certificate saying that because of your condition you can't wear a mask?

That's not the procedure in the UK. You don't have to have a certificate signed by your doctor, because you know it's a bit of a dick move to get disabled people to prove they're disabled, because we've been asked to do that for years and it's seriously fucking demeaning. Police officers and staff are trained to recognise what the list of reasons you can't wear a facemask are, you tell them that's the reason you're not wearing one and they say 'okay.' Some companies sell exemption cards but anybody can buy one of those so they don't really prove much.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:32 pm

Tourais wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:It's an 'I have touch sensitive autism and my doctor has confirmed that I have it.'

And what did your doctor say regarding face masks when they found out you had touch sensitive autism...

Nothing...because they found out when I was 7 years old, 16 years ago.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

That's not the procedure in the UK. You don't have to have a certificate signed by your doctor, because you know it's a bit of a dick move to get disabled people to prove they're disabled, because we've been asked to do that for years and it's seriously fucking demeaning. Police officers and staff are trained to recognise what the list of reasons you can't wear a facemask are, you tell them that's the reason you're not wearing one and they say 'okay.' Some companies sell exemption cards but anybody can buy one of those so they don't really prove much.

If I were a cop and "I have touch-sensitive autism" was your excuse, I'd give you a ticket. You can appeal it in court, where you WILL bring a doctor's note or lose.

This "I don't have to prove anything because it would be demeaning for me" does not strike me as valid. You're asking for an exception to a rule that applies to everyone, you should show some proof of why you should get that exception.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:That's not the procedure in the UK. You don't have to have a certificate signed by your doctor, because you know it's a bit of a dick move to get disabled people to prove they're disabled, because we've been asked to do that for years and it's seriously fucking demeaning. Police officers and staff are trained to recognise what the list of reasons you can't wear a facemask are, you tell them that's the reason you're not wearing one and they say 'okay.' Some companies sell exemption cards but anybody can buy one of those so they don't really prove much.

If I were a cop and "I have touch-sensitive autism" was your excuse, I'd give you a ticket. You can appeal it in court, where you WILL bring a doctor's note or lose.

This "I don't have to prove anything because it would be demeaning for me" does not strike me as valid. You're asking for an exception to a rule that applies to everyone, you should show some proof of why you should get that exception.

I'd report a hate incident, and go get a doctors note. Police however are obliged to accept this which lives on my phone. Like I said though, anyone can get one. I've not had any problems with the police from gently explaining though.

Tourais
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Tourais » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:42 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Tourais wrote:And what did your doctor say regarding face masks when they found out you had touch sensitive autism...

Nothing...because they found out when I was 7 years old, 16 years ago.

Dude I'm asking this because you're going to run into the wrong person one day without a mask and they won't take that as an excuse.

People aren't gonna believe everything you'll say, they need to actually see evidence and a clear explanation or your ass is getting kicked out anyway.
Actually get a doctor's note.
Last edited by Tourais on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:44 pm

Tourais wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Nothing...because they found out when I was 7 years old, 16 years ago.

Dude I'm asking this because you're going to run into the wrong person one day without a mask and they won't take that as an excuse.

People aren't gonna believe everything you'll say, they need to actually see evidence and a clear explanation or your ass is getting kicked out anyway.
Actually get a doctor's note.

I do worry about small shops. As I said though, the government's already made it clear that people shouldn't be expected to provide proof of exemption so I'd report a hate incident.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:51 pm

CoraSpia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I have aspberger's :hug:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General