NATION

PASSWORD

Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Landing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:08 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Do you not find space interesting?

It's interesting. Lots of things are interesting. That doesn't mean we should spend tens of billions of dollars on them that would be better used solving actual problems. "We haven't landed on the moon" is not a problem.

As for the OP: this is worth the read.
...It’s saying that we’re going to the moon because it’s very hard to go to the moon, and, well, we really want to see if we can pull it off.

This is such a beautiful, irrational, wonderful human trait, this desire to do and create glorious and technically useless things and acts. This desire is the foundation of all art, from the most numinous Rothko to the shiniest Koons. It’s music and comedy and jelly beans that taste like chili and daredevils in star-spangled helmets attempting to jump ravines on motorcycles. It’s everything that on paper contributes nothing to the actual business of living but at the same time makes bothering to keep living worth anything at all.

That last bit is sorely lacking. Our greatest ambitions now are prosaic and dull, and there seems to be so little to look forward to. We settle for shit because some flavors of shit are slightly less nasty than other flavors, and we despair of ever again tasting wonder and triumph. That is our undoing.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 am

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It's interesting. Lots of things are interesting. That doesn't mean we should spend tens of billions of dollars on them that would be better used solving actual problems. "We haven't landed on the moon" is not a problem.

Because it's a good argument. What did we actually gain by going to the moon? Very little. It was mostly a waste of time and energy. It's a passion project.

Space exploration has replaced religion as the opium of the masses.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am

Punished UMN wrote:Space exploration has replaced religion as the opium of the masses.

lol no it hasn't. most people don't give a shit about space. you're thinking of racial grievance politics.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

Because it's a good argument. What did we actually gain by going to the moon? Very little. It was mostly a waste of time and energy. It's a passion project.

Breakthroughs in fiber optics and telecommunications which indirectly led to the development of the Internet, actually.

Most pursuits in science will eventually yield material progress, no matter how shortsighted you are or how novel these discoveries seem to be.

But there is no rationality in the absurd wonder of this feat.
Last edited by Valrifell on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am

Valrifell wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Because it's a good argument. What did we actually gain by going to the moon? Very little. It was mostly a waste of time and energy. It's a passion project.

Breakthroughs in fiber optics and telecommunications which indirectly led to the development of the Internet, actually.

Most pursuits in science will eventually yield material progress, no matter how shortsighted you are or how novel these discoveries seem to be.

Did we need to go to space to do that? No.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 am

Time to watch this again.

Punished UMN wrote:Yeah, it's totally insane that we wasted so much effort to go to a big dumb lifeless rock.

You're just salty the Soviet Union couldn't do it.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:27 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Did we need to go to space to do that? No.

There would have been no direct pressure to develop these technologies. Yes.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 am

Aclion wrote:Time to watch this again.

Punished UMN wrote:Yeah, it's totally insane that we wasted so much effort to go to a big dumb lifeless rock.

Yeah, I'm salty the Soviet Union wasted money on more useful things.

Valrifell wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Did we need to go to space to do that? No.

Space exploration wasn't a direct pressure, we invented the pressure. Not being in space is an imaginary problem.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:31 am

To be fair the Soviets technically won the Space Race, since they were the first ones to send a satellite into space.

EDIT: Turns out the Germans technically won the Space Race before it started since they launched a V2 rocket pass the Kármán line.
Last edited by Aeritai on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am

Aeritai wrote:

To be fair the Soviets technically won the Space Race, since they were the first ones to send a satellite into space.

The Third Reich was the first country to breach Earth's atmosphere.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am

Punished UMN wrote:

Yeah, I'm salty the Soviet Union wasted money on more useful things.

Valrifell wrote:

Space exploration wasn't a direct pressure, we invented the pressure. Not being in space is an imaginary problem.

An invented pressure which led to the creation of some of the things essential for modern living. Such as microchips and the CAT scan.

That it wasn't a material pressure doesn't mean the things it created were any less beneficial for humanity and that the direct goal was absurd (but in a cool way) doesn't mean it was worthless.

Materialists are no fun. If everything were purely about maximizing survival and comfort, we'd have less of both.

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Aeritai wrote:

Ah nvm then.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 am

Aeritai wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

Ah nvm then.

It is correct that the Soviets put the first satellite into space, but the Nazis put the first object into space (which promptly disintegrated).
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 am

Valrifell wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yeah, I'm salty the Soviet Union wasted money on more useful things.

An invented pressure which led to the creation of some of the things essential for modern living. Such as microchips and the CAT scan.

That it wasn't a material pressure doesn't mean the things it created were any less beneficial for humanity and that the direct goal was absurd (but in a cool way) doesn't mean it was worthless.

Materialists are no fun. If everything were purely about maximizing survival and comfort, we'd have less of both.

I'm not a materialist. I don't see the moral value in exploring space.

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am

Bear Stearns wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Ah nvm then.

It is correct that the Soviets put the first satellite into space, but the Nazis put the first object into space (which promptly disintegrated).

Yeah now I know that thanks for the information!
Just call me Aeri
I am a Human Female

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:43 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

I'm not a materialist. I don't see the moral value in exploring space.

There is inherent moral value in expanding the sum total of human knowledge through scientific, artistic, or philosophical, expression. imo.

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am

In your opinion guys who do you think actually won the Space Race?
Just call me Aeri
I am a Human Female

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:47 am

Valrifell wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I'm not a materialist. I don't see the moral value in exploring space.

There is inherent moral value in expanding the sum total of human knowledge through scientific, artistic, or philosophical, expression. imo.

Yeah and you don't need to build a rocket and go to the moon to do that.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:48 am

Aeritai wrote:In your opinion guys who do you think actually won the Space Race?

Yes.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 am

We need to invest more in space exploration. Maybe one day we can set up a moon base.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:59 am

Aeritai wrote:In your opinion guys who do you think actually won the Space Race?

Earth. 8)

Space should be an international endeavour.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Yes we did. To conclusively prove Galileo's theories on rate of fall not depending on the mass of the thing falling, for instance.

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Going to space is really hard you know. We measured our knowledge of mathematics, astronomy, and multiple other fields by going to the moon.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:25 pm

The Western Bloc. Even politically the space race was about more then dick measuring. Superiority in aerospace meant an edge in nuclear defense, and the pressure to compete in a field where the US had the technological advantage contributed to the overspending on defense programs that crippled the Soviet Union.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Mais oui.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General