NATION

PASSWORD

Texas Republicans propose State Electoral college

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:I'm not going to let a handful of leftist cities decide the fate of the rest of us. I'd rather wall off Atlanta and let them become a city state before I let them decide what happens to my state. The Democrats can't rule by mob, the rest of us won't stand for it.

It's their state too, you know.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 pm

That just doesn't make any sense to me. While I can, on an academic level, understand the argument behind having a federal-level electoral college, having it on a state level is illogical and undemocratic, plain and simple. It's very disappointing behaviour.

If I was American I'd be more likely to vote Republican than Democrat, but even I will say that if you can't win an election on the merits of your argument and have to resort to rorting or rigging the system, then you have no business running for office or being in power.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:I'm not going to let a handful of leftist cities decide the fate of the rest of us. I'd rather wall off Atlanta and let them become a city state before I let them decide what happens to my state. The Democrats can't rule by mob, the rest of us won't stand for it.

"The rest of us," in this case, of course, being a mob.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Disgusting.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:1. I'm not going to let a handful of leftist cities decide the fate of the rest of us. 2. I'd rather wall off Atlanta and let them become a city state before I let them decide what happens to my state. 3. The Democrats can't rule by mob, the rest of us won't stand for it.

1. I wonder, do people who make this argument believe that left-leaning Americans only live in big cities? Cause my county's pretty left-leaning and the biggest town here is only ~50,000 people give or take, while when I lived in Colorado Springs the population was ~500,000 and it was pretty right-leaning.
2. Well Atlanta's a part of Georgia so they have just as much say about what should happen to the state as some rando living in bumfuck middle of no where.
3. Most Republican areas of the country don't have the population or economic power to fight back, generally because right-wing economic and social norms and policies are generally pretty bad for socioeconomic growth.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

It's their state too, you know.

Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do. People are fleeing California and New York because Democrats ran them into the ground, We have a right to decide who leads us. The Democrats think they can run everything because they have the cities, but they forget it's us deplorables in the county that insure the shelves are stocked and they don't starve. If they don't remember that and treat us right we may have to remind them who controls the food.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:36 pm

The popular vote isn't "mob rule", it's a system of popular support that basically every other democracy uses. Who cares if a lot of the population lives in cities, it's still people voting. Proponents have so many hypotheticals (wHaT iF tHe MaJoRiTy iS OpPrEsSiVe) that ignore the fact that unpopular leaders are generally more oppressive, but there really is no reason.

The electoral college is counterproductive to democracy locally and nationally, just like the two-party system is.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm

I think an electoral college is undemocratic just by itself. All of them at all government levels should be banned. An electoral college effectively disenfranchises everyone by turning their voting power into what's practically just a suggestion.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:

The popular vote isn't "mob rule", it's a system of popular support that basically every other democracy uses. Who cares if a lot of the population lives in cities, it's still people voting. Proponents have so many hypotheticals (wHaT iF tHe MaJoRiTy iS OpPrEsSiVe) that ignore the fact that unpopular leaders are generally more oppressive, but there really is no reason.

The electoral college is counterproductive to democracy locally and nationally.

We need to separate into 2 systems one Country. The Democrats can run there cities into the ground whall the rest of us go about our business and stop being there farm.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Christian Confederation wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:It's their state too, you know.

Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do.

So you have a right to tell them what to do?
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:The popular vote isn't "mob rule", it's a system of popular support that basically every other democracy uses. Who cares if a lot of the population lives in cities, it's still people voting. Proponents have so many hypotheticals (wHaT iF tHe MaJoRiTy iS OpPrEsSiVe) that ignore the fact that unpopular leaders are generally more oppressive, but there really is no reason.

We need to separate into 2 systems one Country. The Democrats can run there cities into the ground whall the rest of us go about our business and stop being there farm.

Funny, I had the same idea about letting the yeehaws kill each other off with covid and lynch mobs.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do. People are fleeing California and New York because Democrats ran them into the ground, We have a right to decide who leads us. The Democrats think they can run everything because they have the cities, but they forget it's us deplorables in the county that insure the shelves are stocked and they don't starve. If they don't remember that and treat us right we may have to remind them who controls the food.

California is a net donor state.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Mississippi River Country
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mississippi River Country » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Good for them. Representative democracy is a good system. City slickers are somewhat like ants in an ant hill, all working for the same corporations and reading the same newspapers. If the people refuse to remove the collar big media has around their necks then we must act to protect representation for the 99% land area.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do.

Of course not. We do our thing, they do there things.
Last edited by Christian Confederation on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:44 pm

1. Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do. 2. People are fleeing California and New York because Democrats ran them into the ground, 3. We have a right to decide who leads us. 4. The Democrats think they can run everything because they have the cities, but they forget it's us deplorables in the county that insure the shelves are stocked and they don't starve. 5. If they don't remember that and treat us right we may have to remind them who controls the food.

1. And you don't have that right either, this is a 2 way street pal.
2. Actually, people are leaving there because they're so economically successful that a middle class person in Georgia would be considered poor there. However, I like how you ignore the fact that their population is constantly growing and an ~equal number of people move to those areas as they do leave, so they're mostly in a migration equilibrium.
3. Yes, and that's decided through elections that run by popular vote.
4. Ironically the only people who make this claim that Dems think those in the country are deplorable are those who live in the country. I feel sorry if that's how you view yourself, as I live in the country and I don't think that. Also, California is a democratic stronghold and is one of the top 10 major food producers in the country, so good luck with that idea.
5. Those with economic power control the food, so the richer areas of the control it, not you.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:49 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
It explicitly states in the Texas constitution that politicians MUST be elected by popular vote?

It doesn’t matter. It would violate one man, one vote

If that was the case Mississippi’s EC would have been struck down ages ago.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Instead you’d rather tell Atlanta what to do, which has been the case for the last century.

Atlanta doesn’t tell anyone what to do in this state. To suggest that is to show that you have no clue about how anything is run
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 pm

New haven america wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:1. I'm not going to let a handful of leftist cities decide the fate of the rest of us. 2. I'd rather wall off Atlanta and let them become a city state before I let them decide what happens to my state. 3. The Democrats can't rule by mob, the rest of us won't stand for it.

1. I wonder, do people who make this argument believe that left-leaning Americans only live in big cities? Cause my county's pretty left-leaning and the biggest town here is only ~50,000 people give or take, while when I lived in Colorado Springs the population was ~500,000 and it was pretty right-leaning.
2. Well Atlanta's a part of Georgia so they have just as much say about what should happen to the state as some rando living in bumfuck middle of no where.
3. Most Republican areas of the country don't have the population or economic power to fight back, generally because right-wing economic and social norms and policies are generally pretty bad for socioeconomic growth.

He’s factually wrong as Atlanta doesn’t have the power of say LA or Chicago to tell anyone else what to do. Hell the city is very much politically split with many in the metro being republicans, but I guess facts dont matter
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Cisairse wrote:

Of course not. We do our thing, they do there things.

Except Kemp literally has told Atlanta that they can’t do what they want.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:The popular vote isn't "mob rule", it's a system of popular support that basically every other democracy uses. Who cares if a lot of the population lives in cities, it's still people voting. Proponents have so many hypotheticals (wHaT iF tHe MaJoRiTy iS OpPrEsSiVe) that ignore the fact that unpopular leaders are generally more oppressive, but there really is no reason.

Why? Democrats and Republicans are both reactionary parties under the thumb of the bourgeoisie. Land shouldn't be voting, people should. Besides, if the country is controlled exclusively by Republicans they'll screw up the climate a lot more than it already is.

The reason the cities are in their current state is due to the apathetic nature of capitalism.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:57 pm

New haven america wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:1. Doesn't mean they have a right to tell the rest of us what to do. 2. People are fleeing California and New York because Democrats ran them into the ground, 3. We have a right to decide who leads us. 4. The Democrats think they can run everything because they have the cities, but they forget it's us deplorables in the county that insure the shelves are stocked and they don't starve. 5. If they don't remember that and treat us right we may have to remind them who controls the food.

1. And you don't have that right either, this is a 2 way street pal.
2. Actually, people are leaving there because they're so economically successful that a middle class person in Georgia would be considered poor there. However, I like how you ignore the fact that their population is constantly growing and an ~equal number of people move to those areas as they do leave, so they're mostly in a migration equilibrium.
4. Ironically the only people who make this claim that Dems think those in the country are deplorable are those who live in the country. I feel sorry if that's how you view yourself, as I live in the country and I don't think that. Also, California is a democratic stronghold and is one of the top 10 major food producers in the country, so good luck with that idea.
5. Those with economic power control the food, so the richer areas of the control it, not you.

I wouldn’t say that number two is a great thing, at least it isn’t when it’s nearly impossible to find a home to live in. But I’m sure you don’t think it’s great either
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:57 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. I wonder, do people who make this argument believe that left-leaning Americans only live in big cities? Cause my county's pretty left-leaning and the biggest town here is only ~50,000 people give or take, while when I lived in Colorado Springs the population was ~500,000 and it was pretty right-leaning.

He’s factually wrong as Atlanta doesn’t have the power of say LA or Chicago to tell anyone else what to do. Hell the city is very much politically split with many in the metro being republicans, but I guess facts dont matter

Also true, they're ignoring the fact that cities aren't all democrat and rural areas aren't all conservative.

When I lived in Colorado Springs it was super Christian and Libertarian-Conservative, whereas now I live in a rural area in Oregon with a smaller county population as the entire city of CS and this area's super Liberal/Progressive.
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:59 pm

New haven america wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:He’s factually wrong as Atlanta doesn’t have the power of say LA or Chicago to tell anyone else what to do. Hell the city is very much politically split with many in the metro being republicans, but I guess facts dont matter

Also true, they're ignoring the fact that cities aren't all democrat and rural areas aren't all conservative.

When I lived in Colorado Springs it's was super Christian and Libertarian-Conservative, whereas now I live in a rural area in Oregon with a smaller county population as the entire city of CS and this area's super Liberal/Progressive.

Yup. The north metro and north Atlanta are all very Republican/libertarian and super rich. While a lot of towns in South Georgia are democrat voters
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. And you don't have that right either, this is a 2 way street pal.

I wouldn’t say that number two is a great thing, at least it isn’t when it’s nearly impossible to find a home to live in. But I’m sure you don’t think it’s great either

That is correct, I think it's downright near disgraceful.

However, it does disprove a point a lot of conservatives like to tout about, and that's that liberal/progressive policies will just lead to economic downfall and societal collapse, when in reality 2 of the 4 richest and most economically successful areas in the country operate off of those principles and are head over heals more successful than the other 2 (Hell, one of them, Florida, is actually split in half with the more conservative area being much poorer and less successful than the liberal/progressive area).
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Looks like they're planning for when a good portion of their voting base dies because of their Fuck Social Distancing bandwaggoning.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General