NATION

PASSWORD

Study finds State Legislatures Dominated By white Men

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Luziyca
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36005
Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:25 pm

This does not surprise me at all, since most legislatures in Europe and her settler colonies are dominated by white men anyway.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
[13:38] Vnik [Hardhiara] Luz is obviously the worst scout Kylaris has
IIwikiFacebookTwitterKylaris: the best region for five years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60725
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ive never been beaten up by the cops but I have been stopped for no good reason and threatened by several power hungry cops. So much for “muh privilege”

Literally incapable of understanding what's meant by a social privilege, the people in this thread.

What use is it to argue with people who don't want to learn anything and will keep asserting their viewpoints against strawmen? I mean, this is the same level of obtuseness as "it snowed yesterday, so clearly the globe isn't warming". No, man, it has to do with societal trends which are not particularly well-assessed by your anecdotal experience.

I believe that the idea of “privilege and intersectionality” to be stupid ideologies fed to people who want to seem smart by the ruling class.

Is there racism and abuse of rights against minorities? Most definitely but that doesn’t mean that poor whites are somehow privileged because they aren’t abused by the cops.

Being not abused by the police is a right all citizens should have and the absence of such rights isn’t a lack of privilege but a lack of rights and a miscarriage of justice
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60725
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Trends don't equal individual experiences tho. Minorities are more likely to experience inequality but when controlled for socioeconomic standing, that inequality all but melts away.

Stop and look at my post just before that one, because this is bullshit.

Maybe me and RFS know what we are talking about because we’ve experienced what it’s like to be poor and always looking towards the next paycheck.

Class is a stronger uniter than race is.
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60725
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Luziyca wrote:This does not surprise me at all, since most legislatures in Europe and her settler colonies are dominated by white men anyway.

Well it makes sense why white people would dominate in Europe since white people come from there
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Trends don't equal individual experiences tho. Minorities are more likely to experience inequality but when controlled for socioeconomic standing, that inequality all but melts away.

Stop and look at my post just before that one, because this is bullshit.


Any "privilege" afforded to white people specifically for being white is trivial at best. You'll do far better as a rich person of any race, because wealth has 100 times the privilege points being white has.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Luziyca wrote:This does not surprise me at all, since most legislatures in Europe and her settler colonies are dominated by white men anyway.

Well it makes sense why white people would dominate in Europe since white people come from there


Someone would have to be really weird to see a European parliament that's almost all white and think there's something weird or wrong about that.
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Thermodolia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 60725
Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Stop and look at my post just before that one, because this is bullshit.


Any "privilege" afforded to white people specifically for being white is trivial at best. You'll do far better as a rich person of any race, because wealth has 100 times the privilege points being white has.

But but white man bad
Male, Titoist cultural nationalist, lives somewhere in the Deep South, give me any good Irish, Canadian, or Scottish whiskey and I will be your friend for life. I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
>Xovland: I keep getting ads for printer ink. Sometimes, when you get that feeling down there, you have to look at some steamy printer pictures.
Click for Da Funies
Click Here for RP Info Embassy Program
Ambassadors to the WA:
Ambassador to the GA Jon Æthr
Ambassador to the SC Eve Šanœ

RIP Dya

User avatar
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19432
Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Any "privilege" afforded to white people specifically for being white is trivial at best. You'll do far better as a rich person of any race, because wealth has 100 times the privilege points being white has.

But but white man bad


Even during the times of segregation, I wouldnt say there was white privilege. The boot pressed down on the necks of poor whites less hard than it pressed on that of blacks but start a labor strike or go to the wrong neighborhood and your whiteness wouldn't save you.

It's like a man shoots my friend in the throat and me in the chest. Am I privileged somehow or just slightly less misfortunate?
Last edited by Rojava Free State on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

User avatar
Diarcesia
Minister
 
Posts: 2653
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:59 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:If.

I don’t understand your point

If my memory serves right, almost all of the measures that formally prevent women and minorities from elected office are already gone. Most of what remains is a matter of enforcement or personal biases. In the case of the latter, it's something laws can't legislate effectively.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Leo "the Wise"?
I thought not. It’s not a story the Byzantines would tell you. It’s a romantic legend.
bespoke and goldpilled

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45872
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I don’t understand your point

If my memory serves right, almost all of the measures that formally prevent women and minorities from elected office are already gone. Most of what remains is a matter of enforcement or personal biases. In the case of the latter, it's something laws can't legislate effectively.

Agreed. We can’t force anyone to run and if multiple people file it’s up to the electorate to decide who they want

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6796
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:15 pm

The problem with framing white privilege as, well, white privilege is that yes, while it may be true that the cops are both less likely to beat a poor white guy to death and less likely to get away with it if they do than if it were a poor black guy, that’s not exactly a high bar to pass, now is it?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45872
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Ors Might wrote:The problem with framing white privilege as, well, white privilege is that yes, while it may be true that the cops are both less likely to beat a poor white guy to death and less likely to get away with it if they do than if it were a poor black guy, that’s not exactly a high bar to pass, now is it?

And this is related to the topic how?

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29985
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:17 pm

La xinga wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:The parties tilt the playing field towards white candidates because they are seen as more electable, even though they aren’t.

Then why is Biden trying to pick a Black VP?


To enhance White Privilege, duh!


Thermodolia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:


Were you ever beaten up by cops? If not - WHITE PRIVILEGE!
Have you been discriminated against by the Government? If not - WHITE PRIVILEGE!

Wait, why's everyone laughing, several SJW's don't understand.

Ive never been beaten up by the cops but I have been stopped for no good reason and threatened by several power hungry cops. So much for “muh privilege”


But you weren't beaten up, were you? WHITE PRIVILEGE!


San Lumen wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Yes it is. The current system makes it nearly impossible for anyone who’s not super rich and has the backing of the two largest parties to get elected.

Other nations have shown that if you want more minority representation then you need to have PR or something like it to obtain that equal representation

How did Nevada manage to elect a female majority legislature then?


So tempting to make a Vegas joke, so very tempting...


Rojava Free State wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Of course they do. Intersectionality is pushed by the upper class and the mega corporations to divide the poor and working class. Because what better way to keep the poor and workers from thinking about how you are fucking them than to say that one half is your enemy instead of your allies


Basically "I'm rich and black and I'm a politician and a former fortune 500 company owner but look at how I'm oppressed. Some rando on 8chan called me the n word."


Oh noes not some rando on 8chan! How will I ever survive in yacht after that?
"New Logic" = Spamming Moderation has nothing to do with being reported in moderation, duh!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Ors Might
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6796
Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:19 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Ors Might wrote:The problem with framing white privilege as, well, white privilege is that yes, while it may be true that the cops are both less likely to beat a poor white guy to death and less likely to get away with it if they do than if it were a poor black guy, that’s not exactly a high bar to pass, now is it?

And this is related to the topic how?

Do you not think the concept of white privilege is in any way, shape, or form connected to white folk on average being more likely to be in power?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

User avatar
Shofercia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 29985
Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Ors Might wrote:The problem with framing white privilege as, well, white privilege is that yes, while it may be true that the cops are both less likely to beat a poor white guy to death and less likely to get away with it if they do than if it were a poor black guy, that’s not exactly a high bar to pass, now is it?

And this is related to the topic how?


Is your questions seriously this: how is framing the topic related to the topic? Rather directly.


Duvniask wrote:This does not explain why the disparity in stops disappears when it turns dark and the police can't make out the race of the person they're stopping.


I'm still trying to understand how not being harassed by cops equates to being privileged.


San Lumen wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The easiest answer is that as an aggregate, darker-skinned people are poorer in the US. i.e. The cops make a snap decision and rely on their stereotypes, and poorer people = easier to shake down.

Shock absorber: It does

This has nothing to do with the topic


And yet you had no issues with it when your side was winning the debate on that part. But once your side's losing on that part, suddenly it's off topic.


Duvniask wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Ive never been beaten up by the cops but I have been stopped for no good reason and threatened by several power hungry cops. So much for “muh privilege”

Literally incapable of understanding what's meant by a social privilege, the people in this thread.

What use is it to argue with people who don't want to learn anything and will keep asserting their viewpoints against strawmen? I mean, this is the same level of obtuseness as "it snowed yesterday, so clearly the globe isn't warming". No, man, it has to do with societal trends which are not particularly well-assessed by your anecdotal experience.


Because you don't get to redefine terms. Privilege means privilege. Not being beaten up by cops, not being discriminated against, is NOT a privilege, because it IS a RIGHT! You'd have a much easier time making an argument stating that people of color aren't getting their Rights, than you do of accusing poor whites of being privileged. Whoever marketed that phrase deliberately meant to keep Americans divided, because you SUPPORT RIGHTS and TAKE AWAY PRIVILEGES.

By framing the oppression of people of color as "White Privilege" rather than "Oppression of Human Rights of Human Beings" you're alienating the very people who might otherwise help you. Even if you believe that there's some reason that blacks are treated inferior to whites, you should still find allies in the class battle, because the majority of blacks are poor, and you'll have a much easier time lifting blacks out of poverty on a class basis, rather than a race/ethnicity basis.
"New Logic" = Spamming Moderation has nothing to do with being reported in moderation, duh!
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
If we tell the radical Republicans that there's proof that Global Warming doesn't exist in Death Valley, and the radical Democrats that there's proof of Russian Collusion there, would we have a better America?

(North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia! DonBass is De Facto Independent! Stand with NovoRossiya!
Tecumseh was a Real American

User avatar
Duvniask
Senator
 
Posts: 4516
Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Literally incapable of understanding what's meant by a social privilege, the people in this thread.

What use is it to argue with people who don't want to learn anything and will keep asserting their viewpoints against strawmen? I mean, this is the same level of obtuseness as "it snowed yesterday, so clearly the globe isn't warming". No, man, it has to do with societal trends which are not particularly well-assessed by your anecdotal experience.

I believe that the idea of “privilege and intersectionality” to be stupid ideologies fed to people who want to seem smart by the ruling class.

Is there racism and abuse of rights against minorities? Most definitely but that doesn’t mean that poor whites are somehow privileged because they aren’t abused by the cops.

That's exactly what it means. To have a social privilege is to have an posses an advantage, an edge, over others.

For example, you would probably also say it is an example of rich privilege to not have to suffer many of the pitfalls of grueling poverty; disease, having to eat cheap fast food, cramped living space. The rich family in Parasite is most certainly privileged compared to the poor one. In the same case, it is the ability to escape (not entirely, as rich people still get sick, etc.) that makes one privileged.

Being not abused by the police is a right all citizens should have and the absence of such rights isn’t a lack of privilege but a lack of rights and a miscarriage of justice

This is just meaningless tautology. One group of citizens sees a greater enjoyment of this "right" than another. That is a privilege. At this point you're playing semantics to skirt around having to acknowledge that Whites really are, on average, better of, not just because of socioeconomic/historical factors, but because of a consistent racial bias.
Supporting anTIFA.

Economic Left/Right: -9.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87
Danish | Political science student | Left communist
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.

User avatar
Duvniask
Senator
 
Posts: 4516
Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Stop and look at my post just before that one, because this is bullshit.

Maybe me and RFS know what we are talking about because we’ve experienced what it’s like to be poor and always looking towards the next paycheck.

Class is a stronger uniter than race is.

I mean, this is just straight up pathetic. You're being shown real, genuine evidence that racial bias affects people, that it actually makes a substantive difference in people's lives, with clear statistical significance and control for third variable bias (such as socioeconomic status), and your response is to stick your head in the sand and continue the same line about class mattering more. That is the response of someone who is unwilling to engage with reality; anything but having to acknowledge that the efforts of those who would bring about a better world don't end with the leveling of class priviliges!
Supporting anTIFA.

Economic Left/Right: -9.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87
Danish | Political science student | Left communist
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45872
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:35 pm

Ors Might wrote:
San Lumen wrote:And this is related to the topic how?

Do you not think the concept of white privilege is in any way, shape, or form connected to white folk on average being more likely to be in power?

Yes but police officers are not the topic

User avatar
Duvniask
Senator
 
Posts: 4516
Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Literally incapable of understanding what's meant by a social privilege, the people in this thread.

What use is it to argue with people who don't want to learn anything and will keep asserting their viewpoints against strawmen? I mean, this is the same level of obtuseness as "it snowed yesterday, so clearly the globe isn't warming". No, man, it has to do with societal trends which are not particularly well-assessed by your anecdotal experience.


Because you don't get to redefine terms. Privilege means privilege. Not being beaten up by cops, not being discriminated against, is NOT a privilege, because it IS a RIGHT! You'd have a much easier time making an argument stating that people of color aren't getting their Rights, than you do of accusing poor whites of being privileged. Whoever marketed that phrase deliberately meant to keep Americans divided, because you SUPPORT RIGHTS and TAKE AWAY PRIVILEGES.

By framing the oppression of people of color as "White Privilege" rather than "Oppression of Human Rights of Human Beings" you're alienating the very people who might otherwise help you. Even if you believe that there's some reason that blacks are treated inferior to whites, you should still find allies in the class battle, because the majority of blacks are poor, and you'll have a much easier time lifting blacks out of poverty on a class basis, rather than a race/ethnicity basis.

More semantic nonsense masquerading as a point. I'm not redefining anything. People in this thread are ignoramuses who know nothing about what is meant by the term and then screech that they too get into confrontations with cops, as if that proves anything, and then continue their screeching when corrected on their erroneous use of the term. If that's how it is I'm not going to waste my time.

A social privilege is a social advantage (or entitlement) from which one can benefit. Not being brutalized by police as often as others is an advantage (duh), and having a wider range of educational options than your peers is also a privilege. Having vast sums of money is a privilege. All of these are advantages that different groups systematically posesses to different extents. It doesn't matter what we've decided to assign the status of "right", because whether someone is privileged or not is a different question to whether or not they're in full possession of their legally-afforded rights (they needn't overlap in all cases). In the situation of police brutality, for instance, the actual white privilege occurring is that while there surely are many police officers who target and harass Black and White people alike, it's also more likely that there are police officers who are especially biased against Black people, and therefore target them considerably more often.

In short, groups are privileged if they on average experience less hurdles in life - or inversely, have more opportunities, which really is the opposite side of the same coin of advantages.
Last edited by Duvniask on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Supporting anTIFA.

Economic Left/Right: -9.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87
Danish | Political science student | Left communist
The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.

User avatar
Diarcesia
Minister
 
Posts: 2653
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Because you don't get to redefine terms. Privilege means privilege. Not being beaten up by cops, not being discriminated against, is NOT a privilege, because it IS a RIGHT! You'd have a much easier time making an argument stating that people of color aren't getting their Rights, than you do of accusing poor whites of being privileged. Whoever marketed that phrase deliberately meant to keep Americans divided, because you SUPPORT RIGHTS and TAKE AWAY PRIVILEGES.

By framing the oppression of people of color as "White Privilege" rather than "Oppression of Human Rights of Human Beings" you're alienating the very people who might otherwise help you. Even if you believe that there's some reason that blacks are treated inferior to whites, you should still find allies in the class battle, because the majority of blacks are poor, and you'll have a much easier time lifting blacks out of poverty on a class basis, rather than a race/ethnicity basis.

More semantic nonsense masquerading as a point. I'm not redefining anything. People in this thread are ignoramuses who know nothing about what is meant by the term and then screech that they too get into confrontations with cops, as if that proves anything, and then continue their screeching when corrected on their erroneous use of the term. If that's how it is I'm not going to waste my time.

A social privilege is a social advantage (or entitlement) from which one can benefit. Not being brutalized by police as often as others is an advantage (duh), and having a wider range of educational options than your peers is also a privilege. Having vast sums of money is a privilege. All of these are advantages that different groups systematically posesses to different extents. It doesn't matter what we've decided to assign the status of "right", because whether someone is privileged or not is a different question to whether or not they're in full possession of their legally-afforded rights (they needn't overlap in all cases). In the situation of police brutality, for instance, the actual white privilege occurring is that while there surely are many police officers who target and harass Black and White people alike, it's also more likely that there are police officers who are especially biased against Black people, and therefore target them considerably more often.

In short, groups are privileged if they on average experience less hurdles in life - or inversely, have more opportunities, which really is the opposite side of the same coin of advantages.

The above is referring to practical privilege. Shofercia's talking about theoretical privilege. In a way, both are valid from what I see. On what you're saying, wouldn't that mean that it's an enforcement issue? Or let's get to the point, a personal issue? Perhaps the elephant in the room is that they're not taught at a young age to be excellent to everyone?
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Leo "the Wise"?
I thought not. It’s not a story the Byzantines would tell you. It’s a romantic legend.
bespoke and goldpilled

User avatar
South Odreria 2
Minister
 
Posts: 3063
Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby South Odreria 2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 pm

La xinga wrote:
South Odreria 2 wrote:The parties tilt the playing field towards white candidates because they are seen as more electable, even though they aren’t.

Then why is Biden trying to pick a Black VP?

This is a really dumb question even by NSG standards
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 106621
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Because you don't get to redefine terms. Privilege means privilege. Not being beaten up by cops, not being discriminated against, is NOT a privilege, because it IS a RIGHT! You'd have a much easier time making an argument stating that people of color aren't getting their Rights, than you do of accusing poor whites of being privileged. Whoever marketed that phrase deliberately meant to keep Americans divided, because you SUPPORT RIGHTS and TAKE AWAY PRIVILEGES.

By framing the oppression of people of color as "White Privilege" rather than "Oppression of Human Rights of Human Beings" you're alienating the very people who might otherwise help you. Even if you believe that there's some reason that blacks are treated inferior to whites, you should still find allies in the class battle, because the majority of blacks are poor, and you'll have a much easier time lifting blacks out of poverty on a class basis, rather than a race/ethnicity basis.

More semantic nonsense masquerading as a point. I'm not redefining anything. People in this thread are ignoramuses who know nothing about what is meant by the term and then screech that they too get into confrontations with cops, as if that proves anything, and then continue their screeching when corrected on their erroneous use of the term. If that's how it is I'm not going to waste my time.

A social privilege is a social advantage (or entitlement) from which one can benefit. Not being brutalized by police as often as others is an advantage (duh), and having a wider range of educational options than your peers is also a privilege. Having vast sums of money is a privilege. All of these are advantages that different groups systematically posesses to different extents. It doesn't matter what we've decided to assign the status of "right", because whether someone is privileged or not is a different question to whether or not they're in full possession of their legally-afforded rights (they needn't overlap in all cases). In the situation of police brutality, for instance, the actual white privilege occurring is that while there surely are many police officers who target and harass Black and White people alike, it's also more likely that there are police officers who are especially biased against Black people, and therefore target them considerably more often.

In short, groups are privileged if they on average experience less hurdles in life - or inversely, have more opportunities, which really is the opposite side of the same coin of advantages.

Ignoramuses, eh? *** Warned for flaming ***
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
San Lumen
Post Czar
 
Posts: 45872
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby San Lumen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Legislatures ought to look like the electorate and the provinces they represent .

No that's not how it works.

So if a state, province or city had large minority population and not a single non white person or woman sat in the legislature or city council you'd see no problem with that whatsoever?

User avatar
Salus Maior
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19542
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm

San Lumen wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:No that's not how it works.

So if a state, province or city had large minority population and not a single non white person or woman sat in the legislature or city council you'd see no problem with that whatsoever?


Well, supposedly the large minority voted in those people, right?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic.

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. -1 Timothy 1:15

“My entire endeavor has always been to clearly recognize the Will of God in all things and to follow it as completely as possible.” -Blessed Charles of Austria, last Habsburg Emperor

User avatar
Bear Stearns
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9098
Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:02 pm

oh the horror, white men :o
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: -Astoria-, Alternamerica, Arian Empire, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Celritannia, Cordel One, Diopolis, Dresderstan, Fahran, Fartsniffage, Grand Proudhonia, Greater Arab State, Hfhbsd, Khoronzon, La xinga, Narland, Nobel Hobos 2, North American Imperial State, Novus America, Nuroblav, Paddy O Fernature, Publica, Rusozak, Saint Norm, Saiwania, Suryak, TURTLESHROOM II, Unthank

Advertisement

Remove ads