NATION

PASSWORD

Study finds State Legislatures Dominated By white Men

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Duvniask wrote:What sort of ignorant ass shit is this? No one is suggesting this is anything approaching a conspiracy. White people and men hold power due to structural-historical reasons which have left them dominant culturally, politically and economically.

The policies they impose are shaped by their views, which are in turn shaped by their different experiences in life. Being a woman means you're going to have insight into the concerns of women; likewise for men, but they occupy the dominant position already.

Most politicians being men hasn't always led to male concerns (problems) being addressed despite their insight and dominance.

Judging from that post, I don't think that poster is here to debate in good faith.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Holy shit, all the thoughtless people coming out the woodwork in this thread.

"Why should we care"

Do you guys not understand why it's good to have governments that are representative and in touch with the concerns of the public? What the fuck.

Seeing as how wealth is almost always a necessity to actually be in government, I fail to see how their genitals or skin color would make them all that representative of the common people.

Is there some definition of representativeness that excludes wealth? It's not like I specified it.

I'm not suggesting some enlightened centrist bullshit where all we need to do is have more female CEOs of color, I'm saying government by and for the people is good (emphasis mine). How is that controversial?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 pm

San Lumen wrote:
La xinga wrote:Ok, why should we care exactly?

Legislatures ought to look like the electorate and the provinces they represent

According to...?

Anatoliyanskiy wrote:Well, I mean, it's not the state's fault that less women are represented, nor ethnic minorities. They may not have the same incentive to run for office, yes, and the FPTP nature of elections makes it harder for women and minorities to get elected. If the US switched to PR or something like that, they'd probably be a spike in representation for women and minorities.

But Lumen would oppose that, since that'll lead to third parties gain strength at the expense of both major parties.

Xmara wrote:We needed a study to confirm this?

We did a taxpayer funded study on frisky quails on crack, so why not a study on this? Next we'll have a study on how many dogs like bacon.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Best person for an office should be elected. As long as the oppertunity to run is equal, I dont care about the result.

If someone says "vote for me because I am X", they have lost my vote.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I think we're making progress in terms of seeing women feeling more empowered to run for political positions, ditto for ethnic minorities who might not have representation equal to their population.

The thing is - we can't exactly force it in terms of political offices, we can't have a mandate on who runs and who doesn't, who party leaders go for in terms of their top choices etc etc. This cultural shift where women and minorities feel more eager to run for something just needs to continue if equal(ish) representation is something we want to strive for.

Also, the fuck, we needed a study for this? I mean, couldn't any jackass with a lot of free time and a ton of Wikipedia tabs figure this out?

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Most politicians being men hasn't always led to male concerns (problems) being addressed despite their insight and dominance.

Judging from that post, I don't think that poster is here to debate in good faith.

There isn't going to be a debate if you think anyone calling out White male privilege is suggesting it's a conspiracy or even deliberate.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Most politicians being men hasn't always led to male concerns (problems) being addressed despite their insight and dominance.

Not necessarily.

They just have a different opinion than me on how to solve the same issue.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Best person for an office should be elected. As long as the oppertunity to run is equal, I dont care about the result.

If someone says "vote for me because I am X", they have lost my vote.

Yeah pretty much this in spades.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Ors Might wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Having someone whose black in the legislature would know more about issues facing their demographic and community then someone whose white

Would they though? I wouldn’t say some rich white dude in office would really understand how I, a somewhat poor white dude, live and what issues I face. Why would a rich black woman understand the life and issues a poor black woman faces?

Because these issues intersect? It doesn't all come down to one or the other.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:03 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Seeing as how wealth is almost always a necessity to actually be in government, I fail to see how their genitals or skin color would make them all that representative of the common people.

Is there some definition of representativeness that excludes wealth? It's not like I specified it.

I'm not suggesting some enlightened centrist bullshit where all we need to do is have more female CEOs of color, I'm saying government by and for the people is good (emphasis mine). How is that controversial?

I think that's largely understood, from my point of view, it's a question of implementation. There's no mandate out there in the US that can solve this, if we wanna say "solve," equal representation can only really come about through both cultural and socio-economic changes.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Seeing as how wealth is almost always a necessity to actually be in government, I fail to see how their genitals or skin color would make them all that representative of the common people.

What I’m saying that calls for greater representation in government in effect almost exclusively entails that “representation” being selected from the wealthy and representing a community is always more complicated than just looking like said community. The representative should ideally have gone through similar experiences as a member of that community

What you’re saying isn’t controversial. It just seems as though most people calling for representation don’t stop to think what representing a people actually means.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 pm

Duvniask wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Would they though? I wouldn’t say some rich white dude in office would really understand how I, a somewhat poor white dude, live and what issues I face. Why would a rich black woman understand the life and issues a poor black woman faces?

Because these issues intersect? It doesn't all come down to one or the other.

The life of a rich minority is going to be radically different than a poor minority in most circumstances. The life of a rich white dude is going to be radically different than a poor white dude in most circumstances. Do you think the wealthy can adequately represent those with less?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

Cyng
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyng » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Ok? So are most states. Contrary to what some on the left seem to believe, the entire country doesn't look like LA.

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Dresderstan wrote:No that's not how it works.

Exactly. A black politician can be just as corrupt and out of touch as a white politician.
facts

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:27 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Duvniask wrote:Because these issues intersect? It doesn't all come down to one or the other.

The life of a rich minority is going to be radically different than a poor minority in most circumstances. The life of a rich white dude is going to be radically different than a poor white dude in most circumstances. Do you think the wealthy can adequately represent those with less?

That's not what I said, though. I said the issues intersect.

The wealthy will, even if they are well intentioned, probably tend to be concerned with issues which are important to and impact the wealthy. Likewise for the poor, who unfortunately get the short end of the stick because they're poor and can't spend their way into office and lobby as much for policies beneficial to their interests. But this will also, to some extent, be true for people's race or sex etc.

Now, with that said, let's take some examples to illustrate what I mean by the issues intersecting: do you think a poor White in the Jim Crow-era would, if their voice was to be heard, necessarily advocate for ways to advance the interests of poor Blacks? Will a poor young man necessarily be concerned with, or even understand, the issues facing poor-single mothers who are socially expected to both be home makers yet also work and pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Not necessarily. We cannot reduce everything to class alone, I'm afraid.
Last edited by Duvniask on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:40 pm

What I'm stating above is essentially a rather roundabout description of intersectionality, or the idea that people's advantages and disadvantages can intersect in uniquely different combinations: a poor white can be better off than a poor black, because they might not be beat up by the police or arrested as much on average, and a poor woman might end up financially worse off than a poor man due to gender roles that downplay women's role in the workplace. Obviously all of these people suffer the disadvantage of being poor, but their experiences are still different.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Duvniask wrote:What I'm stating above is essentially a rather roundabout description of intersectionality, or the idea that people's advantages and disadvantages can intersect in uniquely different combinations: a poor white can be better off than a poor black, because they might not be beat up by the police or arrested as much on average, and a poor woman might end up financially worse off than a poor man due to gender roles that downplay women's role in the workplace. Obviously all of these people suffer the disadvantage of being poor, but their experiences are still different.

IMHO, a poor white is more likely to connect with a poor black than a wealthy black with a poor black. One of the main issues in the black community is the lack of a strong father in many families. Similarly, if their city was wrecked, poor white fathers might end up falling into depression and alcoholism or depression and opioid abuse. If you're wealthy or even middle class, you don't typically experience those pitfalls, i.e. growing up with an actual father and/or a potential replacement, as you have access to tutors, school guidance counselors, friends having time to watch the kids, grandparents being able to help out, including help out financially, etc.
Last edited by Shofercia on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Duvniask wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Judging from that post, I don't think that poster is here to debate in good faith.

There isn't going to be a debate if you think anyone calling out White male privilege is suggesting it's a conspiracy or even deliberate.

Here we go with the "white male privilege" bullshit again.

There is no such thing. I can assure you that I, a white male, have zero fucking privilege. I can also assure you that most white males in America are in the exact same boat.

It's not "white privilege". It's not "male privilege". It's rich privilege. Get it right.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Duvniask wrote:There isn't going to be a debate if you think anyone calling out White male privilege is suggesting it's a conspiracy or even deliberate.

There is no such thing. I can assure you that I, a white male, have zero fucking privilege. I can also assure you that most white males in America are in the exact same boat.

It's not "white privilege". It's not "male privilege". It's rich privilege. Get it right.

Fax

Change the US to any other country, and you can accurately substitute "white" privilege to "insert politically dominant ethnicity" privilege there.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Duvniask wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Judging from that post, I don't think that poster is here to debate in good faith.

Because there is no such thing, grow up and get over it.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Duvniask wrote:There isn't going to be a debate if you think anyone calling out White male privilege is suggesting it's a conspiracy or even deliberate.

There is a wealth of data that disagrees with your childish assertions, some of it being shared right on this forum (courtesy of Gravlen).

I swear, you people have zero understanding of what's meant by privilege as a social tendency; it's precisely that, a tendency, not an absolute proclamation that all men have power or that all men have higher status than women (or in the case of race, that whites by neccesity have these things). Get it right, and don't make these stupid mischaracterizations another time.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:03 pm

Duvniask wrote:

There is a wealth of data that disagrees with your childish assertions, some of it being shared right on this forum (courtesy of Gravlen).

I swear, you people have zero understanding of what's meant by privilege as a social tendency; it's precisely that, a tendency, not an absolute proclamation that all men have power or that all men have higher status than women (or in the case of race, that whites by neccesity have these things). Get it right, and don't make these stupid mischaracterizations another time.

Those are scars from slavery, no "privilege."
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Dresderstan wrote:

Because there is no such thing, grow up and get over it.

The evidence is literally being given to you on a platter in the form of this thread, and you refuse to engage with it, like a child.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:06 pm

La xinga wrote:
Duvniask wrote:There is a wealth of data that disagrees with your childish assertions, some of it being shared right on this forum (courtesy of Gravlen).

Those are scars from slavery, no "privilege."

Those "scars" are precisely that privilege. Jesus Christ. What do you think is meant by privilege? Do you even know what the word means?

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 pm

In other news, sky blue. Story at 10.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General