NATION

PASSWORD

Should Black Lives Matter be considered a terrorist group?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:44 am

Yeah, there was.....damage done. I don't know too much about this to have a strong opinion.

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am

Kubra wrote:Remember when terrorism meant well organised folks doing bank robberies, bombings, assassination, airplane hijacking, all that fun stuff?

Any millenial born after 2001 can't commit carefully planned acts of mass violence and terror in order to threaten entire governments and scare ethnic or ideological groups that they oppose... all they know is is protest, post they hashtags, argue, be liberal, read the news, and whine.
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Bewaffnete Krafte
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bewaffnete Krafte » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:57 am

this contibuted nothing
but when i first read it i thought it said "Should Black Lives Matter?"
and the answer is yes
The Federal Republic of Germany"Gott Mit Uns"Established 7/30/1947
A Grand and Free Germany, with Fair and Democratic elections, United in their chant for Prosperity. After the world war, large-scale education campaigns made the modern germany one of the most politically stable, anti-Fascist nations in the world.
|President: Gottfried Schaffer (DPB)|Prime Minister: Monika Wißler (SDP)|
Map
 WächterNEWS|Populist Right Wing Eine Deutschland Partei, 4th in Bundestag, makes official statement towards the acquirement of the Rhineland. Friday, November 19th, 2021 8:16 PM CET

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:58 am

Slopestyle wrote:Definitely be considered a terrorist group.
Peaceful protest is one thing, but wanton destruction quite another.

For fucks sake. Simple crime and destruction does not equal terrorism. Terrorism is an organized group planning out and committing attacks, not simple rioting by supporters of a social movement. There is a major fucking difference and classifying BLM as a terrorist group is not only incorrect, but can also be dangerous in it's implications.
Last edited by Andsed on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:01 am

Bewaffnete Krafte wrote:this contibuted nothing
and the answer is yes

If that was the question, this thread would get deleted.
Andsed wrote:

For fucks sake. Simple crime and destruction does not equal terrorism. Terrorism is an organized group planning out and committing attacks, not simple rioting by supporters of a social movement. There is a major fucking difference and classifying BLM as a terrorist group is not only incorrect, but can also be dangerous in it's implications.

Wait.....

Does BLM advocate for violence?

Slopestyle
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Slopestyle » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:01 am

Post War America wrote:

Peaceful protest was tried, and it was either ignored, or considered not respectful enough. Some engaging in said peaceful protest were labeled as traitors for "not supporting the troops". More active peaceful protests were also tried, and met with police violence. Eventually it becomes evident that more confrontational methods are required.

Also, if we're considering some smashed windows and beaten folks the makings of a terrorist organization, I'm pretty sure a health percentage of the population of men ages 18-40 would probably be terrorists.

And im sure that ruining other peoples businesses and causing a lot of damage is going to make people more sympathetic to wards them

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am

Slopestyle wrote:
Post War America wrote:
Peaceful protest was tried, and it was either ignored, or considered not respectful enough. Some engaging in said peaceful protest were labeled as traitors for "not supporting the troops". More active peaceful protests were also tried, and met with police violence. Eventually it becomes evident that more confrontational methods are required.

Also, if we're considering some smashed windows and beaten folks the makings of a terrorist organization, I'm pretty sure a health percentage of the population of men ages 18-40 would probably be terrorists.

And im sure that ruining other peoples businesses and causing a lot of damage is going to make people more sympathetic to wards them

I agree with you, looting stores ain't gonna make people not racist, sadly the opposite.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:07 am

Slopestyle wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Unfortunately it is doubtful that after years of trying peaceful protest, they were going to win those people over anyway. Given the whole labeling one Colin Kaepernick and those doing the same extraordinarily peaceful and respectful protest traitors for lacking sufficient worship of the military, I can understand how the situation has escalated. Furthermore random acts of violence does not a terrorist group make.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:08 am

La xinga wrote:
and the answer is yes

Andsed wrote:For fucks sake. Simple crime and destruction does not equal terrorism. Terrorism is an organized group planning out and committing attacks, not simple rioting by supporters of a social movement. There is a major fucking difference and classifying BLM as a terrorist group is not only incorrect, but can also be dangerous in it's implications.

Wait.....

BLM is by and large a social movement. That means it is not really an organized entity. So it really cannot "advocate" for anything, because it is not a singular group. It is just an idea people broadly agree on. And because of that the movement is made up of by both radicals and moderates. Which is why it cannot be classified as terrorist group.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am

Post War America wrote:
Slopestyle wrote:

Unfortunately it is doubtful that after years of trying peaceful protest, they were going to win those people over anyway. Given the whole labeling one Colin Kaepernick and those doing the same extraordinarily peaceful and respectful protest traitors for lacking sufficient worship of the military, I can understand how the situation has escalated. Furthermore random acts of violence does not a terrorist group make.

That depends, does BLM ask people to do violence?

If yes, I'd consider it terrorism, or a gang.
If not, then they're speakers of the American dream.

Servilis
Diplomat

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am

Punished UMN wrote:This is a silly definition. Terrorism is only violence against civilians for the purpose of causing terror among the population.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

La xinga wrote:
Post War America wrote:

As a decentralized movement they don't order people within the movement to do anything, and generally speaking most BLM activists either outright condemn the violence or at most offer tacit understanding, while not liking that it happens.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

La xinga wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Again, BLM is not really an organized entirety with a single rhetoric. it is just a social movement that unites people on a broad idea. So because of that it is made of radicals and moderates who have differing ideas and have called for different things.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

Andsed wrote:
La xinga wrote:If that was the question, this thread would get deleted.

Wait.....

BLM is by and large a social movement. That means it is not really an organized entity. So it really cannot "advocate" for anything, because it is not a singular group. It is just an idea people broadly agree on. And because of that the movement is made up of by both radicals and moderates. Which is why it cannot be classified as terrorist group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter

Wikipedia needs to be careful.

Black Lives Matter (BLM) is a decentralized movement in the United States advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality against African-American people.[2] An organization known simply as Black Lives Matter[a] exists as a decentralized network with about 16 chapters in the United States and Canada, while a larger Black Lives Matter movement exists consisting of various separate like-minded organizations such as Dream Defenders and Assata's Daughters. The broader movement and its related organizations typically advocate against police violence towards black people, as well as for various other policy changes considered to be related to black liberation.[7]

So they do advocate. For non-violence, however, which is good.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

Slopestyle wrote:
Post War America wrote:

The point of a Riot is not to earn sympathy, it is to enforce it.

Everytime they tried to get sympathy, they still got put down.

Even Peaceful Protestors are being treated the same as Rioters.

The Protestors/Rioters owe the Centrists and Apathetic no peace.

Servilis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Servilis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:17 am

Servilis wrote:
Slopestyle wrote:

The point of a Riot is not to earn sympathy, it is to enforce it.

I'd like to briefly mention that the Constitution allows Citizens to violently oppose their government if it refuses to grant them the pursuit of Freedom and Liberty.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:17 am

Servilis wrote:
Servilis wrote:The point of a Riot is not to earn sympathy, it is to enforce it.

I'd like to briefly mention that the Constitution allows Citizens to violently oppose their government if it refuses to grant them the pursuit of Freedom and Liberty.

Just out of curiosity, where does it say that?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Servilis wrote:I'd like to briefly mention that the Constitution allows Citizens to violently oppose their government if it refuses to grant them the pursuit of Freedom and Liberty.

Just out of curiosity, where does it say that?

One could interpret the 2nd Amendment as being supportive of violent action against a state deemed tyrannical. Your personal mileage may vary however.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am

Post War America wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Just out of curiosity, where does it say that?

One could interpret the 2nd Amendment as being supportive of violent action against a state deemed tyrannical. Your personal mileage may vary however.

You could also interpret the Second as meaning that the State will call you up to put down popular uprisings, so ... you personal mileage may differ.

And any Second Amendment discussion should go elsewhere than here.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 am

Yes probably, because their framing of the issues around privilege is demonstrably a racist framework, and attempting to institutionalize racism can be considered violence.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:28 am

Servilis wrote:
Servilis wrote:The point of a Riot is not to earn sympathy, it is to enforce it.

Like having to wear a mask?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Loa Waka
Civilian

Founded: Jul 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Loa Waka » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 am

As far as I'm aware, BLM would follow a similar group alignment to that of Antifa — in which both are more practically amorphous collections of like-minded individuals opposed to being structured social groups. We can only ascertain that these groups are terrorist organizations if we wish to see an end to them — as for example what we have seen by Donald Trump who recently labelled Antifa as a 'hate group'. But by what basis is Antifa a hate group? The purpose of such proclamation is not to be fully concerned with fact, but rather to impose one's will. Trump's will is to impose law and order, without susceptibility to nuance.
Last edited by Loa Waka on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 am

La xinga wrote:
and the answer is yes

Andsed wrote:For fucks sake. Simple crime and destruction does not equal terrorism. Terrorism is an organized group planning out and committing attacks, not simple rioting by supporters of a social movement. There is a major fucking difference and classifying BLM as a terrorist group is not only incorrect, but can also be dangerous in it's implications.

Wait.....

Yes. They do.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Rhein-Zollverein
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

"Should Black Lives Matter be considered a terrorist group?"

Postby Rhein-Zollverein » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:08 am

Yes, personally i believe the black lives matter IS by definition a terrorist organization.
The FBI definition : "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives"
Black Lives Matter uses unlawful use of force and violence to intimidate the government, check.
Black Lives Matter uses unlawful use of force and violence to intimidate the US population to either force them into believing their "cause", check.
So yes, it is a terrorist organization by definition.
Let's look at Europe however, the Black Lives Matter movement removes historical statues to deliver as much destruction as possible to the governments.
In 2016, ISIL destroyed the Minaret of Anah located in Al Anbar Province, which dates back to the Abbasid era. The minaret was only rebuilt in 2013 after the destruction by an unknown perpetrator in 2006. In 2017, ISIL destroyed the Great Mosque of al-Nuri and its leaning minaret.
Does it look similar? Guessed so.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:12 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:
La xinga wrote:If that was the question, this thread would get deleted.

Wait.....

Yes. They do.

Then that's terrorism.
Rhein-Zollverein wrote:Yes, personally i believe the black lives matter IS by definition a terrorist organization.
The FBI definition : "the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives"
Black Lives Matter uses unlawful use of force and violence to intimidate the government, check.
Black Lives Matter uses unlawful use of force and violence to intimidate the US population to either force them into believing their "cause", check.
So yes, it is a terrorist organization by definition.
Let's look at Europe however, the Black Lives Matter movement removes historical statues to deliver as much destruction as possible to the governments.
In 2016, ISIL destroyed the Minaret of Anah located in Al Anbar Province, which dates back to the Abbasid era. The minaret was only rebuilt in 2013 after the destruction by an unknown perpetrator in 2006. In 2017, ISIL destroyed the Great Mosque of al-Nuri and its leaning minaret.
Does it look similar? Guessed so.

Imagine if Jews in Europe were allowed to remove statues of those who persecuted them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General