NATION

PASSWORD

The End of American Hegemony (Or at Least Global Influence)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:39 am

Picairn wrote:The Middle East has been unstable since the Classical Era, when Alexander the Great invaded the Persian Empire. Since then it has always been a hotbed of political and religious extremism. To say the ME was "perfectly stable and calm" before Western intervention is completely false and erroneous. Saddam Hussein after his decisive defeat in 1991 has descended into paranoia and further went down the road of violent suppression of human rights. So was Assad in terms of oppression, who gassed his own citizens.

Saddam kept things calm and orderly. And that is what matters. What nations do within their own borders is NONE OF ANYONE ELSES BUSINESS. Meddling into the affairs of other nations only leads to what ever problems they have getting worse and spilling over into the rest of the world. It's simple.

Except that more than 90% of Americans have health insurance pre-pandemic, thanks to Obamacare and Medicare expansion. It's not a lottery contest to get insurance or whatever BS reasons people can cook up. And since when did Europeans have a monopoly on dictating what is a "civilization"?

Issue is that what passes for health insurance in your country would be laughed at by homeless people in the civilized world. For a start you don't have full coverage of all your healthcare needs for free/nominal fee.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 am

Purpelia wrote: What nations do within their own borders is NONE OF ANYONE ELSES BUSINESS.

Issue is that what passes for health insurance in your country would be laughed at by homeless people in the civilized world. For a start you don't have full coverage of all your healthcare needs for free/nominal fee.

Maybe it works for them on an Eugenic level. The weakest specimens, through no moral fault of their own of course, become homeless or otherwise uninsurable, and providing they die before reproducing, Americans over time would become better people than your own country has?

And don't forget immigration. Historically it was only the bravest and most aspirational of oppressed people, who took the dangerous sea voyage to a new land. Brave, because they must have know they would have trouble fitting in, and would suffer discrimination, at least for a few years at first. And aspirational, because immigration might also select from the stagnant old countries and strife-ridden hellholes *cough* the more intelligent or skilled refugees. Not necessarily the most downtrodden, but the smartest, bravest, most skilled and most idealistic from among the downtrodden.

Among refugees there is much tragedy. But among the nations that they leave and the nations that take them in, there is one clear winner. And one clear loser. I leave it to the reader to determine which is which.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:43 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Purpelia wrote: What nations do within their own borders is NONE OF ANYONE ELSES BUSINESS.

Maybe it works for them on an Eugenic level. The weakest specimens, through no moral fault of their own of course, become homeless or otherwise uninsurable, and providing they die before reproducing, Americans over time would become better people than your own country has?

And don't forget immigration. Historically it was only the bravest and most aspirational of oppressed people, who took the dangerous sea voyage to a new land. Brave, because they must have know they would have trouble fitting in, and would suffer discrimination, at least for a few years at first. And aspirational, because immigration might also select from the stagnant old countries and strife-ridden hellholes *cough* the more intelligent or skilled refugees. Not necessarily the most downtrodden, but the smartest, bravest, most skilled and most idealistic from among the downtrodden.

Among refugees there is much tragedy. But among the nations that they leave and the nations that take them in, there is one clear winner. And one clear loser. I leave it to the reader to determine which is which.

But now really knowledgeable and wise immigrants should apply for a visa and buy a aircraft ticket instead of.....courage.'I hate my hometown because it is so poor and chaos.'This does not mean that you can get rid of poverty by coming to other countries.Like Kennedy said,'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.'
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:52 am

And since when did Europeans have a monopoly on dictating what is a "civilization"?

For many, many centuries. They also have a monopoly on dictating what "discovering new lands" means - because natives living somewhere for thousands of years do not count.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:17 am

Purpelia wrote:Saddam kept things calm and orderly. And that is what matters. What nations do within their own borders is NONE OF ANYONE ELSES BUSINESS. Meddling into the affairs of other nations only leads to what ever problems they have getting worse and spilling over into the rest of the world. It's simple.

Saddam definitely failed at keeping both his own country and the region stable, with the Iraq-Iran war, the 1991 invasion of Kuwait, and the constant uprisings of the Kurds. Furthermore, you failed to recognize that non-intervention has led to ghastly atrocities in the past, such as the Rwandan genocide. The "None of anyone else's business" principle, IMO, stops at genociding your own people or invading other countries. (The 1991 Gulf War was justified, deal with it).

Actually no, first dollar coverage - where the government pays 100% of the costs, is not that popular. How much the government pays for healthcare is varied across European states. Germany, France, Netherlands, etc. built their healthcare models on private or a mix of public/private health insurance, with additional cost-sharing methods such as copayments, premiums and deductibles. Do these countries qualify as not "civilized" according to you, when they still keep the principle of making people pay for health services alive?

Also, the Democrats tried very hard at passing universal healthcare, but it ran into massive roadblocks created by Republicans. Not to mention the fact that the US is a federal country with different interests among the states, not a unitary nation to easily pass legislation in a whim. To call the US "uncivilized" just because it didn't successfully bring universal healthcare is a dumb purity test, created by smug elitists as a condescension towards Americans and an insult to genuine incremental efforts by hardworking legislators to expand healthcare coverage.
Last edited by Picairn on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:17 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

You cut out the meat of the first half of a response where the two halves have very little to do with one another. Thus I can not parse the interpretation of my text that you responded to. Are you replying to it all, only one half? Which half? Half of one part and half of the other? etc.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:31 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

You cut out the meat of the first half of a response where the two halves have very little to do with one another. Thus I can not parse the interpretation of my text that you responded to. Are you replying to it all, only one half? Which half? Half of one part and half of the other? etc.

I replied to the last line. "Maybe it works for them on an Eugenic level" I began, then went on with what I hoped would be an obvious parody of a racist eugenics argument: America not having public healthcare might breed better Americans by letting the poor ones die.

Let me be very clear. The sarcasm is aimed at the same thing you were criticizing, the american health care system. I do somewhat support Eugenics (genetic improvement at parent's discretion) but of course not killing people, sterilizing them without consent ... or letting them die for want of healthcare.

I started with parody and then continued (the second and third paragraphs) in much the same tone, but with utter sincerity. That stuff about refugees, I genuinely believe.

I thought it was clever to draw the reader (that's you, but of course there are others) into the second paragraph expecting parody, and finding exaggerations and pompous style typical of parody. I was hoping to make them "wake up" to it being serious around about half way through. I thought it might give my opinion more "punch" but it seems I'm not a good enough writer to pull it off this time. You're just confused about what part is serious and what is not, and I'm sorry for that.

If you read it again now, and think I'm talking about your country when I deride "stagnant old countries and strife-ridden hellholes", I didn't mean to. I just meant that countries are made worse in the long term by losing emigrants, while countries that accept them as immigrants are made better. At least genetically ...

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:52 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

But now really knowledgeable and wise immigrants should apply for a visa and buy a aircraft ticket instead of.....courage.'I hate my hometown because it is so poor and chaos.'This does not mean that you can get rid of poverty by coming to other countries.Like Kennedy said,'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.'

I get you. It is very sad that the country of opportunity is more interested in money than people's welfare.

They let in rich people, presumably thinking "it makes the whole country richer" or maybe "yea, another taxpayer" ... but every added rich person makes everyone poor or middle class, a little poorer by comparison.

Letting in poor people does come at a cost. They need to be supported for a while, but it's an investment in a person, who by and large is more eager to work hard and pay taxes than the average American is. And there's a less obvious benefit too: if they do well, they're much better off than they were in the country they left, and they feel gratitude towards their country. Oddly, settled immigrants and their children are inclined against allowing further immigration. It's puzzled me for years.

But who am I to talk. I live in Fortress Australia: we used to be one of the world's most generous countries to refugees. Now we're not.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:59 am

Still waiting for a reply from Purpelia.

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Picairn wrote:Healthcare is definitely not treated like a privilege in America. There are dozens of different healthcare programs with different recipients and coverage like Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, Indian Health Service, Tricare, VA, FEHB, etc. and above all, Obamacare. It is a mishmash clusterfuck of bureaucracy with gaps in-between, but nonetheless, saying healthcare is treated like a privilege in America is grossly incorrect.

Yet with all those options people are still drowning is hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills. Almost every other first world country has some form of universal healthcare that actually works. Why can't the US do the same? It's obviously not that difficult to achieve.

Picairn wrote:And I do not feel sympathy to those students who chose to go to expensive private universities and then bitch about the costs on Twitter. Like mate, community college, scholarships, financial aid, etc. are your best friends, yet you didn't use any of those resources offered to you.

Here's a fun fact: not everyone qualifies for community college, scholarships, and financial aid. And even so, the fact that they have to go through all of that just to get a degree that gives them a slim chance at getting a decent paying job pretty much shows the flaws in the system. I'm aware not every first world country has free higher education, but what is the justification for having fees upwards of $30,000+ per semester?

Lets assume that a university does charge $30,000 exactly per semester. Assuming one goes for four years, that's $240,000. Also assuming that they get the full Pell Grant each year (which, as of the 2020-21 academic year, is $6,345), that's $25,380 that they don't have to pay back.Since the amount you receive for subsidized and unsubsidized loans vary, I'll use the numbers from my own loans. Entering my last year as of 2020, I have $15,200 in subsidized and $5,000 in unsubsidized over the span of 7 semester (or 3.5 years), for a total of $15,700. Taking these numbers and subtracting them from the four year cost minus the Pell Grant (since they don't have pay that back), so ($214,620 - $15,200), that would come out to $199,420. So a student is still required to pay $24.927.50 out of pocket per semester, assuming they don't receive any other form of aid. That's still 83.7% of the total cost per semester. And even if they did qualify for a scholarship, the chances of every student getting one that covers the bulk of these costs is pretty small.

So the fact that they have to go through all these hoops just to get a piece of paper that basically dictates whether or not you're "successful" in life is pretty messed up.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:32 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:If the opportunity arises, that would be Russia and/or China, and if anything, they will be worse.

Eh. When it comes to foreign policy, we're no better than they are. If anything, we're more imperialistic than they are.

Ah yes the ol' Putin-Bot Standard Cynical Answer.

When was the last time America fucking pretty much annexed territory from a border nation? Imagine America invading Mexico to get it to cede territory or government.

I mean, NOW you could because Donald Trump is a Putin fanboy but otherwise, no, America shares very little similarity to China and Russia, imperialism wise, especially now that Trump has systematically destroyed every alliance we've had with our democratic European allies.

Although yeah to be fair, he is current employing Russian and Chinese tactics in dealing with political opponents so I guess we're both right. :roll:
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:33 pm

Not going to happen anytime soon. Unlike the rapid collapse of empires in the past, which generally involved a series of lost wars and rebellions, and in the British Empire’s case, decolonization, the US has secured itself as an economic power that can use this leverage when making deals internationally, and the only country which can challenge that is China, which is a shitty alternative
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:32 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Eh. When it comes to foreign policy, we're no better than they are. If anything, we're more imperialistic than they are.

Ah yes the ol' Putin-Bot Standard Cynical Answer.

When was the last time America fucking pretty much annexed territory from a border nation? Imagine America invading Mexico to get it to cede territory or government.

I mean, NOW you could because Donald Trump is a Putin fanboy but otherwise, no, America shares very little similarity to China and Russia, imperialism wise, especially now that Trump has systematically destroyed every alliance we've had with our democratic European allies.

Although yeah to be fair, he is current employing Russian and Chinese tactics in dealing with political opponents so I guess we're both right. :roll:

1898 or 1959? So the United States often goes into other people's countries, slaughters, and leaves .It seems to be a noble act.You know, there were people who loved it--Viking pirates

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:30 pm

As an American, all I can say is YAY. We thinking ourselves as better than others and being allowed to do whatever we want has been a curse to ourselves and the rest of the world and it must end. I can't be happy enough about us losing global influence, I may want to go and celebrate now.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:32 am

Mirjt wrote:As an American, all I can say is YAY. We thinking ourselves as better than others and being allowed to do whatever we want has been a curse to ourselves and the rest of the world and it must end. I can't be happy enough about us losing global influence, I may want to go and celebrate now.

America's strategy for global influence should be a showman's saying: "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

America is still a democracy, and America has some of the free-est speech. This combination makes it easy for foreign nations, and their citizens, to read America's mind. To know what America is likely to do, in any future scenario, or is likely to do right now. Strategically that's not good, but if you lose a little ground because you were too honest and direct, it's not something to be ashamed of.

The words of a President frame an alternative strategy: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." Always hold a threat over others, friend or foe, but do not provoke them ... OK ... but also do not inform them of your intentions? Strategically this is quite strong, but do you really want to be that nation? Speaking so softly that you can't be heard in the media jungle, keeping to yourself, keeping your own citizens quiet, so that one day you may lash out without warning ... with your big stick? That's a bit psycho isn't it?

One is right, and the other is wrong. One is a notorious showman interested only in money and fame. The other is one of the most revered Presidents of all time.

Vote Trump/Pence 2020! Vote for bluster not bombs, because there's no such thing as bad publicity!

No it's not a parody. I have medication-induced mental health problems, but I'm a good boy. I won't stop taking my meds until I've seen the psych who prescribed them for me. I hope that will be soon!

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Mirjt wrote:As an American, all I can say is YAY. We thinking ourselves as better than others and being allowed to do whatever we want has been a curse to ourselves and the rest of the world and it must end. I can't be happy enough about us losing global influence, I may want to go and celebrate now.

America's strategy for global influence should be a showman's saying: "There's no such thing as bad publicity".

America is still a democracy, and America has some of the free-est speech. This combination makes it easy for foreign nations, and their citizens, to read America's mind. To know what America is likely to do, in any future scenario, or is likely to do right now. Strategically that's not good, but if you lose a little ground because you were too honest and direct, it's not something to be ashamed of.

The words of a President frame an alternative strategy: "Speak softly, and carry a big stick." Always hold a threat over others, friend or foe, but do not provoke them ... OK ... but also do not inform them of your intentions? Strategically this is quite strong, but do you really want to be that nation? Speaking so softly that you can't be heard in the media jungle, keeping to yourself, keeping your own citizens quiet, so that one day you may lash out without warning ... with your big stick? That's a bit psycho isn't it?

One is right, and the other is wrong. One is a notorious showman interested only in money and fame. The other is one of the most revered Presidents of all time.

Vote Trump/Pence 2020! Vote for bluster not bombs, because there's no such thing as bad publicity!

No it's not a parody. I have medication-induced mental health problems, but I'm a good boy. I won't stop taking my meds until I've seen the psych who prescribed them for me. I hope that will be soon!

I was not being sarcastic or ironic with my comment, I am really excited about the idea of America losing global influence and hegemony (and I am an American).
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:16 am

Mirjt wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I was not being sarcastic or ironic with my comment, I am really excited about the idea of America losing global influence and hegemony (and I am an American).

While I'm taking a different meaning from "influence". Other nations knowing what to expect from America is a good thing. Signing a peace treaty one year then invading two years later, is not good. Influence isn't just fear.

As to Hegemony I'm totally against that!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:46 am

Aureumterra wrote:Not going to happen anytime soon. Unlike the rapid collapse of empires in the past, which generally involved a series of lost wars and rebellions, and in the British Empire’s case, decolonization, the US has secured itself as an economic power that can use this leverage when making deals internationally, and the only country which can challenge that is China, which is a shitty alternative

America has already lost hegemony and Britain lost its hegemony long before decolonization. Collapse of hegemony isn't the same as empire collapse.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Sarderia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sarderia » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:55 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Aureumterra wrote:Not going to happen anytime soon. Unlike the rapid collapse of empires in the past, which generally involved a series of lost wars and rebellions, and in the British Empire’s case, decolonization, the US has secured itself as an economic power that can use this leverage when making deals internationally, and the only country which can challenge that is China, which is a shitty alternative

America has already lost hegemony and Britain lost its hegemony long before decolonization. Collapse of hegemony isn't the same as empire collapse.

America haven't lost its hegemony yet. I used Google Chrome to access this website. The other time, I went to Instagram to socialize with my friends. I also have Facebook, of which there are certainly millions of active users in. At home and on the coffee stall, I watched Netflix or Prime Video, like millions of others would in their free time. I got my fast food from McDonalds or KFC, and even Pizza Hut (which is while bankrupt in the US, is still a functioning franchise in my country). That is but a tiny example of American influence in my life, even to the daily things I deem trivial such as internet access and entertainment. To say American hegemony is waning, much less lost, is a massive overstatement. Actually American influence is currently on the rise in the world - everywhere you look the influence of America is present. BLM and anti-racist protests spread to Europe and even Asia. And recently ASEAN nations like Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia met with US officials on the prospect of moving American factories to ASEAN (from China). US Navy ships still roam the South China Sea, challenging the PRC in its very home, where their claim was pretty much the hot issue across these last years. No, America isn't going to be eclipsed by any country soon - though China would be a close second.

If you ask me, or pretty much almost every people in the world, to choose between America or its close contender China, I'd vouch for the US without even thinking. At least you've got free speech, 2nd Amendment, and other things you can enjoy. I have lived in California for about a mere month, and I observed meanwhile the US still has so many deficiencies (corrupt politicians, lobbying, homelessness, astronomical housing costs, etc) at least people can move in, be successful, and live a better life there. That alone is America's greatest strength.
Takkan Melayu Hilang Di Dunia

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:32 am

Sarderia wrote:America haven't lost its hegemony yet. I used Google Chrome to access this website. The other time, I went to Instagram to socialize with my friends. I also have Facebook, of which there are certainly millions of active users in. At home and on the coffee stall, I watched Netflix or Prime Video, like millions of others would in their free time. I got my fast food from McDonalds or KFC, and even Pizza Hut (which is while bankrupt in the US, is still a functioning franchise in my country). That is but a tiny example of American influence in my life, even to the daily things I deem trivial such as internet access and entertainment. To say American hegemony is waning, much less lost, is a massive overstatement. Actually American influence is currently on the rise in the world - everywhere you look the influence of America is present. BLM and anti-racist protests spread to Europe and even Asia. And recently ASEAN nations like Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia met with US officials on the prospect of moving American factories to ASEAN (from China). US Navy ships still roam the South China Sea, challenging the PRC in its very home, where their claim was pretty much the hot issue across these last years. No, America isn't going to be eclipsed by any country soon - though China would be a close second.

If you ask me, or pretty much almost every people in the world, to choose between America or its close contender China, I'd vouch for the US without even thinking. At least you've got free speech, 2nd Amendment, and other things you can enjoy. I have lived in California for about a mere month, and I observed meanwhile the US still has so many deficiencies (corrupt politicians, lobbying, homelessness, astronomical housing costs, etc) at least people can move in, be successful, and live a better life there. That alone is America's greatest strength.

Indeed, America's military and economic strengths, as well as cultural and technological influence, remain supreme.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:40 am

Sarderia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:America has already lost hegemony and Britain lost its hegemony long before decolonization. Collapse of hegemony isn't the same as empire collapse.

America haven't lost its hegemony yet. I used Google Chrome to access this website. The other time, I went to Instagram to socialize with my friends. I also have Facebook, of which there are certainly millions of active users in. At home and on the coffee stall, I watched Netflix or Prime Video, like millions of others would in their free time. I got my fast food from McDonalds or KFC, and even Pizza Hut (which is while bankrupt in the US, is still a functioning franchise in my country). That is but a tiny example of American influence in my life, even to the daily things I deem trivial such as internet access and entertainment. To say American hegemony is waning, much less lost, is a massive overstatement. Actually American influence is currently on the rise in the world - everywhere you look the influence of America is present. BLM and anti-racist protests spread to Europe and even Asia. And recently ASEAN nations like Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia met with US officials on the prospect of moving American factories to ASEAN (from China). US Navy ships still roam the South China Sea, challenging the PRC in its very home, where their claim was pretty much the hot issue across these last years. No, America isn't going to be eclipsed by any country soon - though China would be a close second.

yes. But they are no longer calm, lose confidence and become extreme.The US can not face China with a successful attitude like President Kennedy.The situation is irreversible.The U.S. will soon taste its own evil, but not because of China, from America Inside .China is not going to beat the United States. China is not interested in it at all.It will defeat itself like Rome and Soviet Union.
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 am

Sarderia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:America has already lost hegemony and Britain lost its hegemony long before decolonization. Collapse of hegemony isn't the same as empire collapse.

And what of this makes you think that this is hegemony?
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

W erp
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby W erp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:25 am

Punished UMN wrote:
Sarderia wrote:America haven't lost its hegemony yet. I used Google Chrome to access this website. The other time, I went to Instagram to socialize with my friends. I also have Facebook, of which there are certainly millions of active users in. At home and on the coffee stall, I watched Netflix or Prime Video, like millions of others would in their free time. I got my fast food from McDonalds or KFC, and even Pizza Hut (which is while bankrupt in the US, is still a functioning franchise in my country). That is but a tiny example of American influence in my life, even to the daily things I deem trivial such as internet access and entertainment. To say American hegemony is waning, much less lost, is a massive overstatement. Actually American influence is currently on the rise in the world - everywhere you look the influence of America is present. BLM and anti-racist protests spread to Europe and even Asia. And recently ASEAN nations like Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia met with US officials on the prospect of moving American factories to ASEAN (from China). US Navy ships still roam the South China Sea, challenging the PRC in its very home, where their claim was pretty much the hot issue across these last years. No, America isn't going to be eclipsed by any country soon - though China would be a close second.

And what of this makes you think that this is hegemony?

Cultural and technological hegemony perhaps?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 am

W erp wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:And what of this makes you think that this is hegemony?

Cultural and technological hegemony perhaps?

Except it is not. What we mean by hegemony is the monopolization of power. That has not happened. The United States is a superpower, even the lone superpower, but it is not a global hegemon and the notion of a global hegemon is a fantasy.

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm

I think the world will return to a multi-polar geopolitical scene that we saw at the beginning of WW1, with multiple great powers competing for global influence. I do expect the US to remain one of these great powers long into the future.

I do however hope that China does not become the dominant world power.
Last edited by Adamede on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General