NATION

PASSWORD

Mental Illness and Money: What Do You Choose ?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:10 am

This country basically throws mentally ill people out to die. It's disgusting how we don't do shit unless someone is considered to be a legit danger to others, and even then we do shit reluctantly.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 am

A couple of things ... first, paragraphs are your friends. Secondarily, what's your opinion? It's polite, at least to give your opinion when you start a thread. Sixth and lastly, rants are fun but you could have toned it down a little.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:49 am

Public mental hospitals tend to do this

https://www.silive.com/news/2017/01/the ... k_sta.html

Staying out of the public institutions is a rational choice.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am

Considering how the old-style mental hospitals were basically concentration camps, it's a good thing that they don't exist anymore.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:16 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:Considering how the old-style mental hospitals were basically concentration camps, it's a good thing that they don't exist anymore.

It is not good that there is no alternative. I do not think anyone thinks we should return to the worst excesses of mental institutions of the 40s, but we do need something for people who cannot operate well independently.

Simply drugging them and then tossing them on the street to starve is what we do now, and that is clearly not working.

A large percentage of the homeless and those in prisons are mentally ill.

Is prison or dying on the street better?

Deinstitutionalization, despite legitimate concerns about the conditions of the old mental health hospitals has not been a success.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Novus America wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:Considering how the old-style mental hospitals were basically concentration camps, it's a good thing that they don't exist anymore.

It is not good that there is no alternative. I do not think anyone thinks we should return to the worst excesses of mental institutions of the 40s, but we do need something for people who cannot operate well independently.

Simply drugging them and then tossing them on the street to starve is what we do now, and that is clearly not working.

Deinstitutionalization, despite legitimate concerns about the conditions of the old mental health hospitals has not been a success.

There are a lot of ways we currently approach mental illness that are much better that went on in the past.

Group homes, halfway houses, where people can live and survive in the least restricted enviorment possible, while insuring they are getting adequate services for their well being. Unfortunately There will always be a need for institutional style care, but it should be minimized as much as practable.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Baphomet Union wrote:Where are we supposed go? There used to be public mental hospitals, but the great God showed up and demanded they can’t go. Because of that, we have seriously mentally ill people walking the streets, deluded and hallucinating. They are constantly sick, and inevitably, some old commit suicide.
Is that acceptable ? Do you sleep well at night thinking about how lost and alone they are ? Can you imagine that happening to YOU ? I feel we had better have public mental hospitals. I feel that it is absurd to expect
them to survive hallucinating and delusional. I feel that’s a good way to frankly kill them. Is that want you want ? To KILL them ?
I honestly think you better state what you want to do. Kill or health ? Poop or get off the pot . Make it clear what you want to do.

God had nothing to do with it. You're out of it.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:10 pm

Novus America wrote:

I'm not sure what it's like in the US but in the UK there's care homes for people with substantial special needs. There are secure institutions for the criminaly insane; one of the mistakes with the old system is that it conflated those two places together, simply seeing people as 'mad' with no context.

Likewise I'm curious to know what the OP's definition of "mentaly ill" is; as if we take it to mean 'anyone who isn't 100% neurotypical' then the OP would send me off to some hospital despite the fact that I live independantly.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Novus America wrote:

There are a lot of ways we currently approach mental illness that are much better that went on in the past.

Group homes, halfway houses, where people can live and survive in the least restricted enviorment possible, while insuring they are getting adequate services for their well being. Unfortunately There will always be a need for institutional style care, but it should be minimized as much as practable.

Then why are hundreds of thousands of mentally ill in prisons or homeless?

We really do not make such things widely available.
We do not actually do those things much. We never actually built the alternatives.

We instead leave vast numbers to rot in jail or die on the streets. Your idea is good, but the status quo is NOT acceptable.
https://fedsoc.org/commentary/publicati ... ion-murder
https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/consequ ... y-ill.html
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/20 ... tally-ill/

The simple fact is the current approach is a disaster.

I actually support less restrictive community based group homes (although those are in fact institutions) for those unlikely to be a danger, which is a majority, but we built few of such homes in comparison to those we deinstitutionalized.

I do not support a one sized fits all model, we need more conventional securely institutionalized care for those already in prison or showing signs of serious violence (nearly all mass shooters exhibit warning signs but we simply ignore them), smaller community based group homes for the majority who are not prone to violence but who are homeless or in jail for minor non violent crimes, and for those who can exist fine outside an institution, they should.

But we actually need to build a large enough system to actually accommodate all those who need it, something we did not do.

Literally hundred of thousands of community home rooms (and larger institution rooms for the extreme cases) are needed to be built.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I'm not sure what it's like in the US but in the UK there's care homes for people with substantial special needs. There are secure institutions for the criminaly insane; one of the mistakes with the old system is that it conflated those two places together, simply seeing people as 'mad' with no context. Likewise I'm curious to know what the OP's definition of "mentaly ill" is; as if we take it to mean 'anyone who isn't 100% neurotypical' then the OP would send me off to some hospital despite the fact that I live independantly.

Well then the UK does it better.

In the US there are very few institutions remaining, and few care homes. Instead we have hundreds of thousands homeless or in jail, plus mass shootings.

It is a complete disaster here. We shut down the old institutions but never built a adequate alternative. What you describe in the UK was the original idea of what we planned to do in the late 50s to early 60s. But we never actually did it.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Novus America wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:There are a lot of ways we currently approach mental illness that are much better that went on in the past.

We do not actually do those things much. We never actually built the alternatives.

We instead leave vast numbers to rot in jail or die on the streets. Your idea is good, but the status quo is NOT acceptable.

I actually support less restrictive community based group homes (although those are in fact institutions) for those unlikely to be a danger, which is a majority, but we built few of such homes in comparison to those we deinstitutionalized.

I do not support a one sized fits all model, we need more conventional securely institutionalized care for those already in prison or showing signs of serious violence (nearly all mass shooters exhibit warning signs but we simply ignore them), smaller community based group homes for the majority who are not prone to violence but who are homeless or in jail for minor non violent crimes, and for those who can exist fine outside an institution, they should.

But we actually need to build a large enough system to actually accommodate all those who need it, something we did not do.

Literally hundred of thousands of community home rooms (and larger institution rooms for the extreme cases) are needed to be built.

^This. All those things are nice and all but they are not available to the vast majority of mentally ill people.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:This country basically throws mentally ill people out to die. It's disgusting how we don't do shit unless someone is considered to be a legit danger to others, and even then we do shit reluctantly.

The apathy of the system is repulsive. People are trash unless you can profit from them, in which case they become commodities.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Novus America wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:There are a lot of ways we currently approach mental illness that are much better that went on in the past.

I dont have much to argue with your basic point that the service provided are far from the ideal, and a massive investment in both buildings and people are required.

The problem with that investment is it gets circumvented into the politicians back pockets while doing absolutely squat for the vulnerable population it is suppose to server.

For example here in NYC the mayor appointed his wife to run this dismal failure of a program that has spend more than a billion dollars in 4 years, and the population is just 4 year deeper in shit.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/09/thrivenyc ... need-help/

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I dont have much to argue with your basic point that the service provided are far from the ideal, and a massive investment in both buildings and people are required.

The problem with that investment is it gets circumvented into the politicians back pockets while doing absolutely squat for the vulnerable population it is suppose to server.

For example here in NYC the mayor appointed his wife to run this dismal failure of a program that has spend more than a billion dollars in 4 years, and the population is just 4 year deeper in shit.

America really is a bad place.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm

We need mental hospitals to come back but gooder this time
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:51 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

America really is a bad place.

Unfortunately for many who are mentally ill, we are a very bad place. We used to have an extensive (admittedly very flawed) mental health system, but instead of actually modernizing it and fixing it as we originally planned to do in the late 50s to early 60s, we simply shut it down In the 70s without building any alternative.
Just dumping the people in the institutions on the street.

Although it was supposed to “save” money ironically it actually costs us more to leave them on the streets or in jails and prisons.

Deinstitutionalization, despite many advocating for it having good intentions was a complete disaster for hundreds of thousands of people.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Novus America wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:America really is a bad place.

Unfortunately for the mentally ill, we are a very bad place. We used to have an extensive (admittedly very flawed) mental health system, but instead of actually modernizing it and fix it as we originally planned to to in the late 50s to early 60s, we simply shut it down without building any alternative.

Although it was supposed to “save” money ironically it actually costs us more to leave them on the streets or in jails and prisons.

FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Novus America wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:America really is a bad place.

Unfortunately for many who are mentally ill, we are a very bad place. We used to have an extensive (admittedly very flawed) mental health system, but instead of actually modernizing it and fixing it as we originally planned to do in the late 50s to early 60s, we simply shut it down In the 70s without building any alternative.

Deinstitutionalization, despite many advocating for it having good intentions was a complete disaster for hundreds of thousands of people.

Oh no, I remember Willowbrook, my wife not wife yet, but dating), worked extensively with the population that was discharged. What they went through was horrible, left in feces for weeks, chained to bed in soiled underwear, medicical experiments undertaken on them. These people faced lifetime scars placed on them by people who were suppose to provide care. Folks who ran Willowbrook and their masters should have received the Death Penalty for their crimes against humanity. For those people, living on the street is the rational choice.

/ rant off.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:20 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Oh no, I remember Willowbrook, my wife not wife yet, but dating), worked extensively with the population that was discharged. What they went through was horrible, left in feces for weeks, chained to bed in soiled underwear, medicical experiments undertaken on them. These people faced lifetime scars placed on them by people who were suppose to provide care. Folks who ran Willowbrook and their masters should have received the Death Penalty for their crimes against humanity. For those people, living on the street is the rational choice.

/ rant off.

Again it is not a Hobson’s choice between the current disaster or returning to the worst excesses of the 40s systems.

There is a middle way that I already outlined and has been done elsewhere.

The fact that some of the institutions of the past were truly horrible, does not mean dumping the patients to be robbed, raped, killed, starved and frozen in the streets was good.

And honestly you think most prisons are much better?

Shutting down places like Willowbrook would have been good BUT alternative, more humane options should have been made available.

Leaving them on the street to die was neither morally justifiable nor even financially justified (it actually costs us more money).

This is something akin to say “some schools are bad and abuse students, shut down and defund all schools”.
Sure you get rid of the abusive schools, but it is still not the way to fix the education system.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Baphomet Union wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Again it is not a Hobson’s choice between the current disaster or returning to the worst excesses of the 40s systems.

The fact that some of the institutions of the past were truly horrible, does not mean dumping the patients to be robbed, raped, killed, starved and frozen in the streets was good.

Shutting down places like Willowbrook would have been good BUT alternative, more humane options should have been made available.

Leaving them on the street to die was neither morally justifiable nor even financially justified (it actually costs us more money).

This is something akin to say “some schools are bad and abuse students, shut down and defund all schools”.
Sure you get rid of the abusive schools, but it is still not the way to fix the education system.

I lived in a group home. The only thing I liked about it that there were “normal” people there. I do not consider you to be “normal” at all.

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here but normalcy is not really a virtue. One cannot be exceptional and be normal. Albert Einstein was not normal (being a genius is of course abnormal).

Being “abnormal” is fine if you can feed, house and clothe yourself fine and not be dangerous.

It is not about “normalcy” as much as the ability to function on ones own outside a group housing of some sort. Some people (most people) obviously can, but the problem is that literally hundreds of thousands are failing to successfully function without a long term group home and have none as an option.

Then there are those who are dangerous to themselves or others, who although a minority of the mentally ill still exist, need specialized (obviously more secure) housing and care apart from the typical group homes, yet do not receive it.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Depends on your definition of "mentally ill" and "treatment."

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Baphomet Union wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Yes. But it seems “normal” to leave us to starve. Why ? Because you are afraid of us. You really are. What you fear you want to destroy. In such a way, you can hide from makings decision. In such a way, you are all are responsible which while nevertheless being responsible.
Thus you can blame each other for our deaths while saying “ I didn’t know he was sick ! What was I supposed to do ?”. What could you do ? What ! You could protest, you could demonstrate- ANYTHING but watching us sit there and silently die ! So don’t releave yourself of the blame. You ARE to blame. Why ? Because you know of us silently dying and you STILL ignore us !

Well yes we are collectively as a society to blame, of course for the mentally ill in prisons or dying in the streets.
And yes we are failing to address it.

The question of course becomes how we fix it, for which I have policy ideas, but of course I do not actually make the policies (if I did the problem would have already been fixed).
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Baphomet Union wrote:Where are we supposed go? There used to be public mental hospitals, but the great God showed up and demanded they can’t go. Because of that, we have seriously mentally ill people walking the streets, deluded and hallucinating. They are constantly sick, and inevitably, some old commit suicide.
Is that acceptable ? Do you sleep well at night thinking about how lost and alone they are ? Can you imagine that happening to YOU ? I feel we had better have public mental hospitals. I feel that it is absurd to expect
them to survive hallucinating and delusional. I feel that’s a good way to frankly kill them. Is that want you want ? To KILL them ?
I honestly think you better state what you want to do. Kill or health ? Poop or get off the pot . Make it clear what you want to do.

God had nothing to do with it. You're out of it.

I don't think you and him are speaking of the same God.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Reploid Productions
Director of Moderation

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Baphomet Union was a returning DOS, and with their posts mass-moved to the evidence locker... well, not much point leaving this open with the OP no longer visible. Sorry folks!
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003 -- Nation turned 20 on March 23, 2023!
Sunset's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such.
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2024! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General