NATION

PASSWORD

Justice Ginsburg in the hospital twice in a fortnight

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:21 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
-SARS- wrote:
You are talking about people who were killed by a virus, and a wild virus too, not one that was created or enslaved by humans. Viruses do not work for the government, and we do not commit murder. Murder requires intent.

You can make a case that Trump and McConnell are traitors, though. They've been very irresponsible and do not seem to care much about the common people.

Guys.....I just noticed this was the RBG thread. Shouldn’t virus talk go to the covid thread?......

Sorry, I sometimes forget how contagious I am.

I do hope RBG hangs in there, though. She is a respectable lady.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:24 pm

-SARS- wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Well I look at 141,000 dead Americans who died for partisan reasons.

How about you use your mind to deduce that one.

You are talking about people who were killed by a virus, and a wild virus too, not one that was created or enslaved by humans. Viruses do not work for the government, and we do not commit murder. Murder requires intent.

You can make a case that Trump and McConnell are traitors, though. They've been very irresponsible and do not seem to care much about the common people.

I agree, Virus’s aren’t government agents (weird I need to say that).

Doesn’t mean government policy get’s to wash its hands of it and say; what ever we do people will die. When the vast majority of deaths could be stopped by masks, lockdown/social distancing (evidence from Japan, Germany, New Zealand, etc..)

When those last three items aren’t enacted without any evidence against their effectiveness, what’s happened is you’ve killed people for.... you’ve just killed people.

It’s like a war crime, a government knows launching missiles into civilian populations will kill those civilians. Telling people the things which will protect them (masks, lockdown, social distancing) are a political statement is the same as launching a missile into a civilian population; it will kill people. Heck, if you launch a missile into a civilian population to kill a high level terrorist, you could make a case that it was warranted (war crimes to meet war goals is not something I condone).

In the case of this pandemic, there is no justification/warrant for stigmatising masks, lockdown or social distancing; it just kills people.

Killing people in policy is a crime. The issue is that determining what kills the least in policy is sometimes quite difficult; thus governments get the benefit of the doubt as hindsight is 20-20. Yet for anti-lockdown, anti-mask has no evidence it saves lives, it just kills people. There is no difficulty in enacting those policies of masks and lockdown to save lives; they won’t because it damages their political choices. Therefore it is simply murder through policy. A crime committed by the responsible entities; the senate and the executive. Who have not enforced good pandemic policy and actively warranted anti-lockdown, anti-mask, and anti-social distancing policies which kill people.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Cyng wrote:Hopefully she goes soon

If that happens in the next week, you won't be here to comment on it. *** 7 day ban for trolling. ***

You had two bans last month. Did you think we forgot about those? Or are you one of those people who just thinks the rules don't apply to them and any attempt to enforce the rules is the Moderation Team being mean to you?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:"Premeditation". Setting the bar so high a giraffe can successfully limbo under it. Trump's sociopathy contributed to his incompetent handling of the pandemic but you're playing semantics insisting he has no accountability unless he's recorded stating an intention to murder people like a Scooby Doo villain.

Fucking exactly. This muppet puts the issue to some higher authority as if the senate and executive arn’t the highest.

"Muppet"? Tsk. *** Warned for flaming ***

Be civil. I know you know this because this is not your first run-in with Moderation.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:11 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Fucking exactly. This muppet puts the issue to some higher authority as if the senate and executive arn’t the highest.

"Muppet"? Tsk. *** Warned for flaming ***

Be civil. I know you know this because this is not your first run-in with Moderation.

Muppets is a British term of endearment. "You old, muppet you".

Also, get better soon Ginsburg, to stay on topic.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:"Muppet"? Tsk. *** Warned for flaming ***

Did they change languages in Britain? All the definitions I've seen say "muppet" is equivalent to "moron" and "gormless" and other such insults. You can make a proper appeal in the thread where you were reported.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Did they change languages in Britain? All the definitions I've seen say "muppet" is equivalent to "moron" and "gormless" and other such insults. You can make a proper appeal in the thread where you were reported.

Now, now, I won't have facts ruin a perfectly good cultural saying.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:26 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Whose decision is it that Lockdown and masks was not enforced at a federal level?

It's the 10th Amendment's decision. Same reason Trump wasn't able to follow through on his idea of banning lockdowns at the federal level.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Victorious Decepticons wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Whose decision is it that Lockdown and masks was not enforced at a federal level?

It's the 10th Amendment's decision. Same reason Trump wasn't able to follow through on his idea of banning lockdowns at the federal level.

If he could declare a national emergency to take money from the Defense budget to (not) build his wall, he could bloody well declare one during a raging pandemic and shut down the country to keep people from getting sick and dying. Just sayin'.

And what does this have to do with Justice Ginsburg being ill?
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Victorious Decepticons wrote:It's the 10th Amendment's decision. Same reason Trump wasn't able to follow through on his idea of banning lockdowns at the federal level.

If he could declare a national emergency to take money from the Defense budget to (not) build his wall, he could bloody well declare one during a raging pandemic and shut down the country to keep people from getting sick and dying. Just sayin'.

I was about to ask the same thing.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Did they change languages in Britain? All the definitions I've seen say "muppet" is equivalent to "moron" and "gormless" and other such insults. You can make a proper appeal in the thread where you were reported.

You'll have to bow to the American usage on this one. Actual Muppets are American. And I'm pretty sure they're copyrighted too.

Greed and Death wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If he could declare a national emergency to take money from the Defense budget to (not) build his wall, he could bloody well declare one during a raging pandemic and shut down the country to keep people from getting sick and dying. Just sayin'.

Do you know if (a) RBG really did have a lung removed, (b) if so, was it due to cancer?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

You'll have to bow to the American usage on this one. Actual Muppets are American. And I'm pretty sure they're copyrighted too.

Greed and Death wrote:

Do you know if (a) RBG really did have a lung removed, (b) if so, was it due to cancer?

Half of a lung
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:

So immigrants coming up in a caravan is an emergency, but a pandemic isn’t...

Also, Ginsburg is a tough ol’nugget.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Victorious Decepticons wrote:It's the 10th Amendment's decision. Same reason Trump wasn't able to follow through on his idea of banning lockdowns at the federal level.

A survivor. At her age, chances of surviving a major operation aren't good. It matters a lot how much will to live they still have.

I'm almost jealous of her. I have barely any sense of duty, or work ethic or whatever it is that keeps her hanging in there.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

A survivor. At her age, chances of surviving a major operation aren't good. It matters a lot how much will to live they still have.

I'm almost jealous of her. I have barely any sense of duty, or work ethic or whatever it is that keeps her hanging in there.

If I was her, I’d stay alive 6 months just to spite the Republicans. Then on my deathbed summon McConnell and say; “McConnell, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.” Then Slowly close my eyes for the last time on the 22nd of January, my final vision of Moscow Mitch’s eyes filling with tears.
Last edited by Lower Nubia on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:58 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If I was her, I’d stay alive 6 months just to spite the Republicans. Then on my deathbed summon McConnell and say; “McConnell, you will not fill the Supreme Court vacancy.” Then Slowly close my eyes for the last time on the 22nd of January, my final vision of Moscow Mitch’s eyes filling with tears.

Nice rhapsody there. I'd say it would be even better if McConnell is out of the Senate by then, but it would be a bit off to gloat in advance about an old guy who clearly loves his job too. I'd feel terrible if he up and died before then.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:00 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If at the very end she set a nearby radio to play This (with a special dedication for Mitch), I do believe I would recommend her for sainthood. Religious or not.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:12 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Just responding to the other poster. Interesting how you didn't mind that side-discussion until I came along and reminded people about the 10th Amendment.

The Wall had nothing to do with states' rights, making the 10th Amendment not apply to it. Anything to do with how states handle state matters is another story.

But back to the original topic:

As for Justice Ginsburg, she's too invincible for that cancer to kill her just yet. She was saying that the chemo is working, after all.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:16 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Pure spite is an oft-overlooked, but powerful, source of fuel.

The best way to ensure that she stays alive for four more years is to vote Trump in again. She'll keep living as long as it takes to keep him from appointing her replacement.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:23 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

The best way to ensure that she stays alive for four more years is to vote Trump in again. She'll keep living as long as it takes to keep him from appointing her replacement.

Gormwood wrote:
US-SSR wrote:She's ba-a-a-a-ack! Long live RBG!

(Image)

She's tapped into the Dark Side of the Force like Palpatine and surviving off the collective anger and hate of the conservative Republican base.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:56 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Aww. That's about the most approbatory thing anyone has said about her yet.

I expected her to stand down during Obama's term. I couldn't see her reasoning to try and hang in for a more friendly Senate, and even less for a more leftist President. Though I suppose like most people she might have expected a President Clinton II, but that really only explains not standing down late, in Obama's term.

So I suggest a slightly less cynical explanation than spite. I think she has that thing which all great public figures have, which is a huge ego. She probably thinks no other judge in the country could do a better job as SC Justice than herself, so it hardly even matters to her which President appoints, or which Senate approves, her successor. If that runs contrary to what I said before, her strong sense of duty, then that's OK. Great leaders, jurists, scientists and pretty much anyone in a position to make a mark in history, need a strong ego to avoid being torn down by jealous rivals, and a strong sense of duty to guard against their mark on history being a bad one, and those two motives will often conflict. Ego drives them to make as big a mark as they can, but the sense of duty (to make the world a better place) puts limits on the mark they will let themselves make.

Story of my life bro. I've got plenty of ego so I could be great. But I have no ambition and not much sense of duty. :meh:

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 am

Farnhamia wrote:If he could declare a national emergency to take money from the Defense budget to (not) build his wall, he could bloody well declare one during a raging pandemic and shut down the country to keep people from getting sick and dying. Just sayin'.

Just responding to the other poster. Interesting how you didn't mind that side-discussion until I came along and reminded people about the 10th Amendment.

The Wall had nothing to do with states' rights, making the 10th Amendment not apply to it. Anything to do with how states handle state matters is another story.

But back to the original topic:

As for Justice Ginsburg, she's too invincible for that cancer to kill her just yet. She was saying that the chemo is working, after all.

Actually the wall did violate a few things like going through peoples lands without so much a by your leave. I remember one story where a couple watched helplessly as the barn and animals burned because it was on the other side of the fence and the firemen didn’t have the keys to open a gate.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 pm

As an update Ginsburg is in the hospital again. Basically twice in two weeks.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... tal-387588
Barack Obama

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Greed and Death wrote:As an update Ginsburg is in the hospital again. Basically twice in two weeks.

*looks up what the procedure was*

Sounds like it was a follow-up procedure.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Greed and Death wrote:As an update Ginsburg is in the hospital again. Basically twice in two weeks.

That's not a good sign, but it is admirable how well she's holding up.

Maybe she can give Her Majesty a run for her money in terms of undying political women.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General