NATION

PASSWORD

Justice Ginsburg in the hospital twice in a fortnight

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fedel
Minister

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Fedel wrote:
Here's my opinion on what murder is:

(Image)

I'll let you figure out my opinion on that from there.

"Premeditation". Setting the bar so high a giraffe can successfully limbo under it. Trump's sociopathy contributed to his incompetent handling of the pandemic but you're playing semantics insisting he has no accountability unless he's recorded stating an intention to murder people like a Scooby Doo villain.

You're accusing me of setting the bar when I literally cited the dictionary definition. Please think about that for a moment.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SINESTRAS HOME
Civilian

Founded: Jul 16, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SINESTRAS HOME » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:42 pm

I don't care what anyone else believes, RBG isn't going to die. She was there with Betty White and Larry King when God turned on the light switch. RBG isn't going anywhere.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:
We know people not staying at home 24/7 increases the overall number of deaths as a result of COVID.

Are people who've gone outside murderers?

Answer my first question. Do it.

Do you understand that even if I think Trump and McConnell had enacted policies that were not optimal and more people died as a result that I would not consider them murderers?

In the same way that I do not consider you a murderer for spending your time making posts like this instead of:

A) Working to donate your earnings to charities that would help save lives.
B) Actively volunteering to work at a soup kitchen.
C) Protesting food waste by major Fast Food brands.
D) The tens of millions of other actions you could be carrying out that would help save more lives than what you're doing right now.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Answer my first question. Do it.

Do you understand that even if I think Trump and McConnell had enacted policies that were not optimal and more people died as a result that I would not consider them murderers?

In the same way that I do not consider you a murderer for spending your time making posts like this instead of:

D) The tens of millions of other actions you could be carrying out that would help save more lives than what you're doing right now.

Except you’ve already admitted that they directly have killed people through policies that can save lives but have not done so for politics gain.

Whose decision is it that Lockdown and masks was not enforced at a federal level?

I’m not required to do A) through D). The Senate and executive are required to protect Americans.

Has the senate and executive thus killed Americans by not enacting policies that could directly save lives but do not do so for anything but political gain?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:54 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:

Except you’ve already admitted that they directly have killed people through policies that can save lives but have not done so for politics gain.

Whose decision is it that Lockdown and masks was not enforced at a federal level?

I’m not required to do A) through D). The Senate and executive are required to protect Americans.

Has the senate and executive thus killed Americans by not enacting policies that could directly save lives but do not do so for anything but political gain?

Your definition of "direct" and "indirect" are very different from mine.

Literally every event that happens can be traced back to you in some way because we live in a system whereby all our actions have a butterfly effect on each other.

My definition, like the dictionaries, has a rather strict definition of "murder" so that we cannot go around accusing those we dislike of act because their actions in some way contributed to the death of an individual ( something everybody can be accused of ).

I do not doubt that the non-optimal actions of every government official to have ever existed has lead to unnecessary deaths.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Fedel wrote:
Gormwood wrote:"Premeditation". Setting the bar so high a giraffe can successfully limbo under it. Trump's sociopathy contributed to his incompetent handling of the pandemic but you're playing semantics insisting he has no accountability unless he's recorded stating an intention to murder people like a Scooby Doo villain.

You're accusing me of setting the bar when I literally cited the dictionary definition. Please think about that for a moment.

Yoi're still playing semantics to deflect from absolving Trump of culpability. Okay then.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Literally every event that happens can be traced back to you in some way because we live in a system whereby all our actions have a butterfly effect on each other.

My definition, like the dictionaries, has a rather strict definition so that we cannot go around accusing those we dislike of "murder" because their actions in some way contributed to the death of an individual ( something everybody can be accused of ).

If Trump loses the election a committee will be held to determine the overt failures of this administration in protecting Americans from this virus.

As you’ve already admitted, the actively took a path that killed Americans.

Making them traitors.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Fedel wrote:

Yoi're still playing semantics to deflect from absolving Trump of culpability. Okay then.

I'm saying that going by the definition of Lower Nubia, we are all murderers.

I am in no way saying that Trump has governed optimally or even that he could have made many decisions that would have saved more lives than he did. Take that as you will.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Fedel wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Yoi're still playing semantics to deflect from absolving Trump of culpability. Okay then.

I'm saying that going by the definition of Lower Nubia, we are all murderers. I am in no way saying that Trump has governed optimally or even that he could have made many decisions that would have saved more lives than he did.

Please. You’ve already admitted that the senate and executive have killed Americans through policy choice.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:

My definition, like the dictionaries, has a rather strict definition so that we cannot go around accusing those we dislike of "murder" because their actions in some way contributed to the death of an individual ( something everybody can be accused of ).

If Trump loses the election a committee will be held to determine the overt failures of this administration in protecting Americans from this virus.

Making them traitors.

Every government official that has ever existed has failed to take the optimal path and caused deaths as a result.

Going by your definition, every member of government that has ever existed throughout human history is a "traitor" to whatever people they were representing.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

Making them traitors.

Every government official that has ever existed has failed to take the optimal path and caused deaths as a result.

Going by your definition, every member of government that has ever existed throughout human history is a "traitor."

So no lockdown and no masks has not killed people?
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:
I'm saying that going by the definition of Lower Nubia, we are all murderers. I am in no way saying that Trump has governed optimally or even that he could have made many decisions that would have saved more lives than he did.

Please. You’ve already admitted that the senate and executive have killed Americans through policy choice.

That's not what I said, but I can see my words aren't getting through to you.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a very odd situation to have the judges in the most senior court in the land appointed on party-political grounds. Where there's a vacancy and you have the requisite confirming majorities you can appoint someone who will say the constitution says what you want it to say. This gives those presidents who have high turnover in their terms get to set the agenda for maybe decades to come. I suppose that if you live by judicial activism you must die by it too. Decisions impact many lives very deeply and it's not surprising that those who oppose her judicial agenda are enthusiastic about the benefits they think will ensue for the country if she has to retire. This shouldn't be an active enthusiasm for her suffering, of course.

Activist judges and playing fast and loose with what the constitution said wouldn't be problems if there was a common understanding of what the Constitution said, what it meant, and everyone stuck to it.

Oh give me a break, I don't care if the judge is a self-professed constitutionalist or originalist like the conservatives (Alito, Thomas) on the bench or a self-proclaimed activist like RBG or Kagan, they're all influenced by partisan politics and those influences play a huge factor in how they decide cases.

In other words, and not to sound like some enlightened centrist, neither wing of the court truly upholds the Constitution, because the act of doing so in and of itself is wildly subjective and subject to one's own interpretations of the constitution as it applies to Case Law. In other words, the Constitution is such an antiquated, albeit very important document, so the accusation that judges play "fast and loose" with it could apply to any SCOTUS justice or even district-level judges for that matter.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:

Going by your definition, every member of government that has ever existed throughout human history is a "traitor."

I don't know what you're asking. Policies can't kill people. The virus kills people.

Policies ( in this context ) are simply actions that are more or less effective in lowering the number of deaths that would occur without one in place.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lower Nubia
Minister

Postby Lower Nubia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:02 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:

I don't know what you're asking. Policies can't kill people. The virus kills people.

Policies are simply actions that are more or less effective in lowering the number of deaths that would occur without one in place.

1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Lol. If you say so. I never professed to believe anything other than what I've stated and I don't feel I've contradicted anything I've said.

But if you feel differently, I don't begrudge you any satisfaction or good feelings.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Lower Nubia wrote:
Fedel wrote:
Depends on how one personally defines those terms. Based on how I define "murder" I definitely wouldn't classify either of them as such.

Well I look at 141,000 dead Americans who died for partisan reasons.

How about you use your mind to deduce that one.

You are talking about people who were killed by a virus, and a wild virus too, not one that was created or enslaved by humans. Viruses do not work for the government, and we do not commit murder. Murder requires intent.

You can make a case that Trump and McConnell are traitors, though. They've been very irresponsible and do not seem to care much about the common people.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Fedel wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
You said:

“Thanks for further confirming something for me. :)

I did. Still don't know what you're asking me here.

Sorry. For the old guy could you explain what was confirmed. Our brains don’t move as fast as they once did. :(
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

-SARS-
Diplomat

Founded: May 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby -SARS- » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:14 pm

SINESTRAS HOME wrote:I don't care what anyone else believes, RBG isn't going to die. She was there with Betty White and Larry King when God turned on the light switch. RBG isn't going anywhere.

We can hope so.
Last edited by -SARS- on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation is made with pure 100% all-natural SARS. Non-GMO, gluten-free, and ZERO ADDED SUGAR!

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:15 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Fedel wrote:
I did. Still don't know what you're asking me here.

Sorry. For the old guy could you explain what was confirmed. Our brains don’t move as fast as they once did. :(

It's made me further understand certain things about the culture/users on this forum. Not really something that's relevant to you guys.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:17 pm

-SARS- wrote:
Lower Nubia wrote:
Well I look at 141,000 dead Americans who died for partisan reasons.

How about you use your mind to deduce that one.

You are talking about people who were killed by a virus, and a wild virus too, not one that was created or enslaved by humans. Viruses do not work for the government, and we do not commit murder. Murder requires intent.

You can make a case that Trump and McConnell are traitors, though. They've been very irresponsible and do not seem to care much about the common people.

Guys.....I just noticed this was the RBG thread. Shouldn’t virus talk go to the covid thread?......
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
-SARS- wrote:

Guys.....I just noticed this was the RBG thread. Shouldn’t virus talk go to the covid thread?......

I brought this up on a previous page but, unfortunately, Nubia and Gorm didn't seem inclined to take my advice.
Last edited by Fedel on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Fedel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

It's made me further understand certain things about the culture/users on this forum. Not really something that's relevant to you guys.

If it’s not relevant then why state it?

It comes off as semantic arguments and those are boring.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fedel
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fedel » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Fedel wrote:

I comes off as semantic arguments and those are boring.

Will keep that in mind for the future.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Fedel wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I comes off as semantic arguments and those are boring.

Will keep that in mind for the future.

No worries. I write stuff I think is obvious all the time. :D

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General