NATION

PASSWORD

Trump to begin formal withdrawal from World Health Org

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Trump to begin formal withdrawal from World Health Org

Postby Asle Leopolka » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:51 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronav ... ation.html

White House begins the process of withdrawing from the World Health Organization
PUBLISHED TUE, JUL 7 20202:50 PM EDTUPDATED 14 MIN AGO

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has submitted to the U.N. secretary-general its notice to withdraw from the World Health Organization by July 6, 2021, a senior administration official confirmed to CNBC.

The notice to the United Nations was the first step in a yearlong process that will rely on several factors outside of Trump’s control, including cooperation from Congress and the president’s own reelection in November, neither of which are assured.

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said he would have the U.S. rejoin the WHO on day one of his presidency, were he to defeat Trump this November.

The move comes as coronavirus cases are again surging in the United States. Nearly 3 million people in the nation have contracted the disease, while more than 130,000 have died, according to a Johns Hopkins University tally. Worldwide, the virus has infected 11.69 million and killed more than 540,000.

Whether the president has the unilateral authority under U.S. law to withdraw from the WHO, which is the health agency of the U.N., is the subject of scholarly debate, according to a June report from the Congressional Research Service. Answering that question would require a court to “confront several complicated issues of first impression,” the nonpartisan organization found.

In April, Trump said that he had suspended U.S. funding to the organization pending a review, citing what he called “the World Health Organization’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”

A month later, he announced his intentions to leave the organization amid the coronavirus pandemic, citing what he called the WHO’s misuse of funding and its cozy relationship with China. The coronavirus is widely believed to have originated from China.

“China has total control over the World Health Organization, despite only paying $40 million per year compared to what the United States has been paying, which is approximately $450 million a year,” Trump explained during remarks made in the Rose Garden.

“We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engage with them directly, but they have refused to act. Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization and redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving, urgent, global public health needs,” he added at the time.

The WHO did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment.

The decision to end the partnership between the United States and the WHO has drawn criticism from congressional lawmakers. Earlier this month, House Republicans argued that the United States would be able to have a bigger impact on the U.S. response to the coronavirus pandemic if the country remained part of the international group.

To avoid the mod stick, I personally think this is incredibly short-sighted and is another glaring example of the US's mishandling of the COVID situation.
Last edited by Asle Leopolka on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:59 pm

Mods are gonna tell you to expand your op and include your opinion on the topic.

Anyway, this is perhaps one of the stupidest things the current administration has done. Of all the times to pull out of the WHO, why now?
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Good. The WHO has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that it is not fit for purpose.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Space Lads
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Lads » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm sorry if anyone disagrees, but he is clearly very stupid and doesn't know a thing about leadership. It's all about the headlines for him. He knows CNN will go crazy over it. That's why he does these ridiculous actions. But really, would a smart person say "Oh, during the middle of the worst pandemic since the Spanish Flu, lets pull out of a intergovernmental organization that will help us get through it!" Like, WHAT?
Space Brits. Also Communists.
We do not have capital punishment. Sorry for the inconvenience to any criminals.
“Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars.”
- Carl Sagan
National News
LNN: Chairhead Morris and girlfriend Meredith Gumble to go vacation on their ship “Janice” during the two week Congressional recess. They plan to tour the Uranian System, which Gumble says “needs some love.”

International News
LNN: Eros wins the Soccer Solarium Cup for the 4th year in a row. They also hosted the event in an arena on one of their artificial satellites.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Another brain dead move from Trump and his administration.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Not surprised. I am sure we will soon be hearing campaign ads about it wasn't his incompetence over the pandemic; it was those Chinese people!......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Outer Bratorke
Secretary

Founded: Nov 08, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Outer Bratorke » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Kragholm Free States wrote:Good. The WHO has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that it is not fit for purpose.

America has the most COVID-19 cases in the world, the Federal government refused to take it seriously when the threat was first announced,and they even refused to use test kits that worked because they wanted to make their own.

Nobody has said WHO was perfect, but the US would be in much better shape if the Federal Government actually listened to them, and not try to play politics during a time like this.
Last edited by Outer Bratorke on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.politiscales.net/en_US/resul ... 3&comp=100

"Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it." Tom Leher

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Trump is very smart to do this. Corpses of americans are going to pile up under his rule either way. But if he pins it on somebody else and than commits to decisive action against that someone else he can turn a defeat into a victory. And that's really all that matters.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:14 pm

Outer Bratorke wrote:
Kragholm Free States wrote:Good. The WHO has demonstrated throughout this pandemic that it is not fit for purpose.

America has the mos COVID-19 cases in the world, the Federal government refused to take it seriously when the threat was first announced,and they even refused to use test kits that worked because they wanted to make their own.

Nobody has said WHO was perfect, but the US would be in much better shape if the Federal Government actually listened to them, and not try to play politics during a time like this.

Welcome to America, where we can turn questions like “is the sky blue” into political issues
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Outer Bratorke wrote:

America has the mos COVID-19 cases in the world, the Federal government refused to take it seriously when the threat was first announced,and they even refused to use test kits that worked because they wanted to make their own.

America's abysmal handling of the crisis has nothing to do with whether or not they've been listening to the WHO. The WHO has given inconsistent, deliberately vague, and sometimes downright terrible advice throughout. Torn between an incompetent idiot in the White House and a gang of incompetent idiots posing as credible public health experts, the US was fucked either way.
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/coronavirus-white-house-begins-process-of-withdrawing-from-world-health-organization.html
The notice to the United Nations was the first step in a yearlong process that will rely on several factors outside of Trump’s control, including cooperation from Congress and the president’s own reelection in November, neither of which are assured.

Good thing it isn't guaranteed, though. There isn't much of a chance for the US to actually withdraw from the WHO.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Doom Legions
Minister

Founded: Apr 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Doom Legions » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Solid move and overall based af.
The WHO has shown itself to be utterly incapable of fulfilling its duties. They seem more concerned with slurping that sweet chinese money.
Cum is stored in the brain, and I've got a headache.
Born2shit4ced2wipe
All of my friends are dead (:

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Doom Legions wrote:Solid move and overall based af.
The WHO has shown itself to be utterly incapable of fulfilling its duties. They seem more concerned with slurping that sweet chinese money.

Hmmm I didn't American executives and politicians were running the WHO.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:22 pm

Best thing he's ever done. Maybe this will finally whip the WHO's arses into line, and we'll finally get rid of that horrible "Doctor" Tedros, the real life version of the Simpsons' character Dr. Nick Riviera. Without the USA's funding, let's see if those dickheads can continue to jepodise world health by being CCP shills. Based on their handling of Covid, I'd sooner take medical advice from my dog than from "Doctor" Tedros, or any of his crew. I wish that Australia would follow suite
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Best thing he's ever done. Maybe this will finally whip the WHO's arses into line, and we'll finally get rid of that horrible "Doctor" Tedros, the real life version of the Simpsons' character Dr. Nick Riviera. Without the USA's funding, let's see if those dickheads can continue to jepodise world health by being CCP shills. Based on their handling of Covid, I'd sooner take medical advice from my dog than from "Doctor" Tedros, or any of his crew. I wish that Australia would follow suite

Said someone who has been condemned because of corruption
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Drew Durrnil wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Best thing he's ever done. Maybe this will finally whip the WHO's arses into line, and we'll finally get rid of that horrible "Doctor" Tedros, the real life version of the Simpsons' character Dr. Nick Riviera. Without the USA's funding, let's see if those dickheads can continue to jepodise world health by being CCP shills. Based on their handling of Covid, I'd sooner take medical advice from my dog than from "Doctor" Tedros, or any of his crew. I wish that Australia would follow suite

Said someone who has been condemned because of corruption

That's not how this game works...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Drew Durrnil wrote:Said someone who has been condemned because of corruption

That's not how this game works...

You think this move was because he wanted to "save" the WHO?

Weldblunderland
Civilian

Founded: Jul 07, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Weldblunderland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:37 pm

A blundering president who has survived impeachment by the skin of his teeth who did
nothing to lower the numbers of Coronavirus cases during the pandemic,beat up protesters in Washington riots for a bad photo op, he blames NASCAR for not allowing the Confederate flag and now pulls out of WHO. The king of bad decisions.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Is it the fault of China for not handling COVID well enough initially? Probably. Is it the fault of Trump for not handling COVID once it reached our shores? Definitely.

He can deflect all he wants, but the reality is, no matter how idiotic Tedros was initially and no matter how incompetent WHO can be, the 130,000 dead Americans are on him. And leaving WHO unilaterally as a show of petulance won't fix that. WHO isn't perfect, and it has shown displays of incompetency now and in the past, but ffs, it's a net benefit overall.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Slurping a whole $40 million dollars, less than %0.25 of it's total annual budget, that's more of a tiny sip than a slurp.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:50 pm

That's fair, the WHO and the president did have more in common than expected.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:52 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:

Slurping a whole $40 million dollars, less than %0.25 of it's total annual budget, that's more of a tiny sip than a slurp.

How much has your boy slurped up since taking office?

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Slurping a whole $40 million dollars, less than %0.25 of it's total annual budget, that's more of a tiny sip than a slurp.

My who?
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

My who?

I think he meant Trump, not the WHO.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:56 pm

So the solution to countering Chinese influence on the WHO is to withdraw from the WHO?

Thank God Trump wasn't president during the Cold War or the Soviets would have been able to bring Canada into the Warsaw Pact by the time he left office.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General