NATION

PASSWORD

Bezos' Newspaper WaPo Doxxxed Innocent Partygoer

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:04 am

The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic. And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp.
-George Orwell, 1984
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Panslavicland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Panslavicland » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 am

Its genuinely amazing that the same people criticizing the Washington Post and journalists of that particular type think that replacing the free media with government run news agencies is in any way a good idea. Its not going to fix the problem of the largely out of touch news media, its only going to entrench it. The sort of journalists who are going to end up working st state media are the exact same sort who work for the Washington Post now.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:44 am

Panslavicland wrote:Its genuinely amazing that the same people criticizing the Washington Post and journalists of that particular type think that replacing the free media with government run news agencies is in any way a good idea. Its not going to fix the problem of the largely out of touch news media, its only going to entrench it. The sort of journalists who are going to end up working st state media are the exact same sort who work for the Washington Post now.

At least with freedom of the press we can have independent news agencies that can do their job right. You have options. With state run media there is only one narrative. And more often than not, the narrative is a flat out lie.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Fiveholm wrote:
people are all about doing everything they can to change systemic racism except change systemic racism.

"Colin Kapernick is in our commercials so we're doing pretty good."

-Nike explaining why human rights don't really matter to them

“We solved racism by having a black persons in our ads” says the corporation that uses slave labor to produce its crap
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:36 am

Don't dox people. People or groups who dox people are shitty groups of people or shitty people.

That said, a free press is necessary for democracy to thrive and WaPo is actuly a good sauce for news as there reporting is highly factual.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:36 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

“We solved racism by having a black persons in our ads” says the corporation that uses slave labor to produce its crap

Rainbow capitalism at it's finest.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:20 am

Ah the free press, where they will gladly ruin your life if it means maintaining their stranglehold of the masses’ attention.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:27 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:Ah the free press, where they will gladly ruin your life if it means maintaining their stranglehold of the masses’ attention.

Their reporting is highly factual tho
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:Ah the free press, where they will gladly ruin your life if it means maintaining their stranglehold of the masses’ attention.

There reporting is highly factual tho

Does that excuse this shit?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:36 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:There reporting is highly factual tho

Does that excuse this shit?

Of course not.

I'm just saying don't go overboard with the trumplike statements of media bad free press bad.

We allready had more then a few people here who went off about free press is bad.

But of course, people should not be doxxed and this is still very shity behavior.

Esotyrica
Attaché

Founded: Jul 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esotyrica » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:38 am

There reporting is highly factual tho

*their
go outside and do the activism you want instead of debating AWFL-type liberalism on NSG

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am

Esotyrica wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:There reporting is highly factual tho

*their

Ok fixed thanks.

Still doesn't change the fact that WaPo is a good source of information.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:54 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Woke Capitalism™ in a nutshell
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:20 am

Their reporting is highly factual tho

Is it? I've seen CNN lie several times, and fox made lying about artform.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:Does that excuse this shit?

Of course not.

I'm just saying don't go overboard with the trumplike statements of media bad free press bad.

We allready had more then a few people here who went off about free press is bad.

But of course, people should not be doxxed and this is still very shity behavior.

Just because the media has a right to be free doesn't mean they aren't staffed by scumfucks. Alot of reporters are borderline sociopathic.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:24 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Their reporting is highly factual tho

Is it? I've seen CNN lie several times, and fox made lying about artform.

It is. It's baised a bit but a high fact check.

Rojava Free State wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:Of course not.

Just because the media has a right to be free doesn't mean they aren't staffed by scumfucks. Alot of reporters are borderline sociopathic.

Eh, yeah. Some are.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm

On one hand, yeah it's a bad look. On the other hand, imagine Jonathan Franzen telling you (in a gentle NPR monotone) a joke that starts "so a management consultant, an art critic, and a government contractor walk into a Washington Post loft party...."
I mean, this is the height of petty middle class existence, and that's what *really* grinds them gears.
Last edited by Kubra on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Panslavicland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Tyranny by Majority

Postby Panslavicland » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:00 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Panslavicland wrote:Its genuinely amazing that the same people criticizing the Washington Post and journalists of that particular type think that replacing the free media with government run news agencies is in any way a good idea. Its not going to fix the problem of the largely out of touch news media, its only going to entrench it. The sort of journalists who are going to end up working st state media are the exact same sort who work for the Washington Post now.

At least with freedom of the press we can have independent news agencies that can do their job right. You have options. With state run media there is only one narrative. And more often than not, the narrative is a flat out lie.

Exactly. There's good media, and there's bad media. The solution to that is not to have only bad media, but top give our attention to the good media. It doesn't matter how many billions Jeff Bezos has, if no one reads the Washington Post it won't have any influence.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:06 pm

I mean...blackface isn't excusable in my mind, but if she recognizes her mistake, she doesn't deserve to be Doxxed and humiliated. It doesn't appear that she meant any particular malice or had any racist intent, she was just...acting kinda stupidly.

I would say to some of the people in the thread here decrying the free press that you are acting absurdly. With a free press, we can have outlets such as the one the OP linked that can criticize other news outlets (in this case, the WAPost). I would add that without a free press, all we're saved is the occasional drivel we don't care to read, but instead we sacrifice intellectual freedom and freedom of expression, and most importantly, freedom to make criticisms. Do you lot genuinely think that if, say, a state newspaper ran a story you weren't too keen on, that another news outlet would be able to promptly critique it? Nope.

TLDR, WaPost isn't exactly the best newspaper and can have some bad takes, but that's no reason to go into an uproar about the state of our journalistic freedom over this.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:37 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I mean...blackface isn't excusable in my mind, but if she recognizes her mistake, she doesn't deserve to be Doxxed and humiliated. It doesn't appear that she meant any particular malice or had any racist intent, she was just...acting kinda stupidly.

I would say to some of the people in the thread here decrying the free press that you are acting absurdly. With a free press, we can have outlets such as the one the OP linked that can criticize other news outlets (in this case, the WAPost). I would add that without a free press, all we're saved is the occasional drivel we don't care to read, but instead we sacrifice intellectual freedom and freedom of expression, and most importantly, freedom to make criticisms. Do you lot genuinely think that if, say, a state newspaper ran a story you weren't too keen on, that another news outlet would be able to promptly critique it? Nope.

TLDR, WaPost isn't exactly the best newspaper and can have some bad takes, but that's no reason to go into an uproar about the state of our journalistic freedom over this.

Even someone who thinks blackface is funny doesn't deserve to lose their job. They ought to be confronted about it but this is too far. All this because someone smeared their face in dark paint in a style similar to one used to mock people. No one died or was injured and this was in the past but apparently its still a reason to run someone outta town.

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:I mean...blackface isn't excusable in my mind, but if she recognizes her mistake, she doesn't deserve to be Doxxed and humiliated. It doesn't appear that she meant any particular malice or had any racist intent, she was just...acting kinda stupidly.

Even someone who thinks blackface is funny doesn't deserve to lose their job. They ought to be confronted about it but this is too far. All this because someone smeared their face in dark paint in a style similar to one used to mock people. No one died or was injured and this was in the past but apparently its still a reason to run someone outta town.

Not to mention it was done to jab at Megyn Kelly who said blackface was all right. Ironic humor, yes, albeit extremely tasteless, but not something she needs to have her life ruined over, especially after she admitted to making a mistake, apologized to those who were offended, and then freaking left.
Last edited by Asle Leopolka on Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Not to mention it was done to jab at Megyn Kelly who said blackface was all right. Ironic humor, yes, albeit extremely tasteless, but not something she needs to have her life ruined over, especially after she admitted to making a mistake, apologized to those who were offended, and then freaking left.

She was using blackface to mock racism and yet it's still racist.

I swear we can't even have comedy anymore.

West Leas Oros 2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Leas Oros 2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:38 pm

Underhanded and shitty. Par for the course when Bezos' crew gets involved.
WLO Public News: Outdated Factbooks and other documents in process of major redesign! ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE: <error:not found>
How many South Americans need to be killed by the CIA before you realize socialism is bad?
I like to think I've come a long way since the days of the First WLO.
Conscientious Objector in the “Culture War”

NationStates Leftist Alternative only needs a couple more nations before it can hold its constitutional convention!

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Asle Leopolka wrote:Not to mention it was done to jab at Megyn Kelly who said blackface was all right. Ironic humor, yes, albeit extremely tasteless, but not something she needs to have her life ruined over, especially after she admitted to making a mistake, apologized to those who were offended, and then freaking left.

She was using blackface to mock racism and yet it's still racist.

I swear we can't even have comedy anymore.

For all of the right's fears about the degeneracy of the left, the above is puritan.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:55 pm

I have to admit, I do feel sorry for people whose lives are so empty and who are so filled with bitterness, hate and misery that they act in such a vindictive and cruel way. I think they are the ones who need therapy, not some innocent person who did nothing wrong.

Not that it's surprising a garbage rag like the WaPo with zero credibility would do something like this but the damage is still done. The only thing I'm wondering is what they wanted to hide by publishing a hit piece like this.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General