NATION

PASSWORD

Bezos' Newspaper WaPo Doxxxed Innocent Partygoer

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Esotyrica wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I find it interesting that of all the things y'all could have gone for over the years, this is the one that makes you scream about enemies of the people and how the free press needs to die.

just call them racist lmao

Why?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Prosa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Prosa wrote:So you believe that the government should be able to control what news the people see? Yeah, that’s definitely always ended well.

That seems to be the same kind of response we see from anarcho-capitalists on the economy, and it's silly for the same reasons.

There's a difference between the government banning some things, and outright controlling everything. Saying "You can't dump crude oil into the sea" isn't the same as "The government will now own, manage, and control all oil production.". Similarly, regulating the press and punishing them when they break the law is not the same as a state controlled press, or the government controlling everything you see.

The question of how much regulation is desirable is a separate question, but this experiment of "None at all" has produced clearly negative and destructive results.

First of all, I’m not an ancap—just an anarchist.
Second, who exactly do you believe should “regulate” the press? The government? Local authorities? Corporate owners?
The Prosan Empire
NEWS: 9/5/20——A new documentary about the life of Emperor emeritus Davorin Elkan has stirred up controversy due to its focus on his many extramarital affairs.

Strength Valour Progress

Esotyrica
Attaché

Founded: Jul 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esotyrica » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Esotyrica wrote:just call them racist lmao

Why?

isn't that what you're implying or something

why is it interesting
go outside and do the activism you want instead of debating AWFL-type liberalism on NSG

Esotyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Esotyrica » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Prosa wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
That seems to be the same kind of response we see from anarcho-capitalists on the economy, and it's silly for the same reasons.

There's a difference between the government banning some things, and outright controlling everything. Saying "You can't dump crude oil into the sea" isn't the same as "The government will now own, manage, and control all oil production.". Similarly, regulating the press and punishing them when they break the law is not the same as a state controlled press, or the government controlling everything you see.

The question of how much regulation is desirable is a separate question, but this experiment of "None at all" has produced clearly negative and destructive results.

First of all, I’m not an ancap—just an anarchist.
Second, who exactly do you believe should “regulate” the press? The government? Local authorities? Corporate owners?

him
go outside and do the activism you want instead of debating AWFL-type liberalism on NSG

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Typically shitty actions from a shitty "news" site.

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Prosa wrote:So you believe that the government should be able to control what news the people see? Yeah, that’s definitely always ended well.

I'm of the mind that Elon Musk's idea from a while back should be put to fruition, specifically the "media credibility rating site" where the people judge articles based on their accuracy and bias, and this aggregates into a score for journalists and websites.

For some reason, journalists did not like this idea.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Esotyrica wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Why?

isn't that what you're implying or something

why is it interesting

Just find it weird that it's this incident rather than (say) anything The Sun has pulled over the years.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Esotyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Esotyrica » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Proctopeo wrote:Typically shitty actions from a shitty "news" site.

Ostroeuropa wrote:

I'm of the mind that Elon Musk's idea from a while back should be put to fruition, specifically the "media credibility rating site" where the people judge articles based on their accuracy and bias, and this aggregates into a score for journalists and websites.

itd be cool but people would fuck with the website

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

So Elon is trying to get credit for inventing something that already exists again?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Prosa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

This could only end in people going after journalists or news sources of an opposing political stance. With this system, it’d be more than easy for someone to frame a truthful article as false just because they don’t agree with the information in it.
The Prosan Empire
NEWS: 9/5/20——A new documentary about the life of Emperor emeritus Davorin Elkan has stirred up controversy due to its focus on his many extramarital affairs.

Strength Valour Progress

Proctopeo
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Proctopeo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:

So Elon is trying to get credit for inventing something that already exists again?

MBFC isn't the same thing, though it's similar.
His idea is a bit closer in concept to RateMyProfessor.
Arachno-anarchism || NO GODS NO MASTERS || Free NSG Odreria

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:14 pm

I don’t care who it is, doxxing people is never okay.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:20 pm

I feel like society is starting to be less forgiving as the years progress.
Last edited by Aeritai on Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

James_xenoland
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby James_xenoland » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 pm

This whole thing is fucked up and perverse beyond words! The worst part is that sadly, this isn't even WaPos (as well as the rest of the psychopathic prog REEEEEEdia's) best most deranged and hate filled work. I mean at least it wasn't a completely innocent minor being setup based solely on outright lies this time. (Nicholas Sandmann says hello) Plus she sounds like a true believer anyway.. reap what you sow.. If you empower deranged ideologue extremists and mental patients to screech endlessly about their delusional victim complexes, support the "refutation" of factual scientific concept in the name of ideology, and generally uncritically buy into the "need" for feels-over-reals type hysterical hyperbole via "lived" subjectivity... To the actual point of totalitarian level close mindedness and thought policing.. It should have been very clear that your own pet monsters might turn around and eat you too one day! So while fucked up.. There is a measure of ironic justice every time an uncritical believer falls on their own nonsense.
One either fights for something, or falls for nothing.
One either stands for something, or falls for anything.

---
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

---
Rikese wrote:From a 14 year old saying that children should vote, to a wankfest about whether or not God exists. Good job, you have all achieved new benchmarks in stupidity.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Vassenor wrote:I find it interesting that of all the things y'all could have gone for over the years, this is the one that makes you scream about enemies of the people and how the free press needs to die.

Something tells me that if a powerful entity, say Fox News, went after an innocent liberal librarian, for no reason whatsoever, you wouldn't be singing that tune here, Vass. The reason that this is a big deal, is because it's symptomatic of Washington Post's sheer depravity, clearly showing what WaPo became.

Also, this isn't "over the years" - it happened recently, so we're discussing it. The "over the years" part is incredibly disingenuous. We will continue to discuss acts of depravity, and we'll have your support when they're against liberals and your opposition when they're against conservatives.

Vassenor wrote:
Prosa wrote:You’re joking, right? There’s no way you’re serious.

But someone fucked up and a white person had problems as a result so the free press is evil and needs to die.

"Has problems" - fucking really Vass? "Has problems" - yeah, no. Her entire life was turned upside down. "Has problems" is what happened to me when my car insurance agent screwed me. Now I need to get car insurance. I got my house, I got my cars, I got my job, and my health insurance. I'll be good.

What happened to her isn't "has problems" - it's setting her up for a life of starvation, misery, depression, etc. She lost her job, and with it, her health insurance, one that she desperately needs. At 54, with that WaPo article, she's not going to be employable for the next two years. What if something happens to her? What if she needs treatment, and being uninsured, she's going to have a massive healthcare bill. What is she actually supported Obamacare, voted blue, but can no longer afford the one she needs without a job? And it shouldn't matter how she voted - she's a human being.

Despite working all her life, she could be on the street, homeless, mentally ill, broke, desperate and destitute. Because of the article. Solely because of the article. This isn't merely "has problems" and how dare you merely dismiss it as "has problems" because she was white? I'll save this post for the next time you're sympathetic about a victim that I have no sympathy for, that work? "has problems" - I should stop typing now, because if I keep going, I'll have problems with moderation...

I'll just say this about WaPo - this is a symptom of how far they've fallen. This is their Anakin Skywalker at the Jedi Temple moment. This is pathetic, a powerful entity picking on a defenseless person. It's simply wrong.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Aeritai wrote:I feel like society is starting to be less forgiving as the years progress.

Apparently doing something offensive that killed 0 people and injured 0 should be an unforgivable sin according to some.

As i said, they're canceling people for things they said years ago. That's pretty ridiculous.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:16 pm

If only Trump didn't start with his "enemy of the people" rhetoric. He's giving the media the sense of persecution they need and making them look like valiant heroes. This is similar to the white supremacist issue in the sense that you ought to leave said person alone and let them talk, so then society gets to see how much of a cocksucker they really are.

The news aren't enemies of the people. They're just sociopathic weirdos who love it when something bad or controversial happens, and sometimes they'll even start the controversy (like in this case) so they can get that money. Most mainstream news whether left or right is full of real pathetic losers. I think it's about time they get the respect they deserve, which is none at all.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Shofercia wrote:

Something tells me that if a powerful entity, say Fox News, went after an innocent liberal librarian, for no reason whatsoever, you wouldn't be singing that tune here, Vass. The reason that this is a big deal, is because it's symptomatic of Washington Post's sheer depravity, clearly showing what WaPo became.

Also, this isn't "over the years" - it happened recently, so we're discussing it. The "over the years" part is incredibly disingenuous. We will continue to discuss acts of depravity, and we'll have your support when they're against liberals and your opposition when they're against conservatives.

Vassenor wrote:
But someone fucked up and a white person had problems as a result so the free press is evil and needs to die.

"Has problems" - fucking really Vass? "Has problems" - yeah, no. Her entire life was turned upside down. "Has problems" is what happened to me when my car insurance agent screwed me. Now I need to get car insurance. I got my house, I got my cars, I got my job, and my health insurance. I'll be good.

What happened to her isn't "has problems" - it's setting her up for a life of starvation, misery, depression, etc. She lost her job, and with it, her health insurance, one that she desperately needs. At 54, with that WaPo article, she's not going to be employable for the next two years. What if something happens to her? What if she needs treatment, and being uninsured, she's going to have a massive healthcare bill. What is she actually supported Obamacare, voted blue, but can no longer afford the one she needs without a job? And it shouldn't matter how she voted - she's a human being.

Despite working all her life, she could be on the street, homeless, mentally ill, broke, desperate and destitute. Because of the article. Solely because of the article. This isn't merely "has problems" and how dare you merely dismiss it as "has problems" because she was white? I'll save this post for the next time you're sympathetic about a victim that I have no sympathy for, that work? "has problems" - I should stop typing now, because if I keep going, I'll have problems with moderation...

I'll just say this about WaPo - this is a symptom of how far they've fallen. This is their Anakin Skywalker at the Jedi Temple moment. This is pathetic, a powerful entity picking on a defenseless person. It's simply wrong.

Reminder that the ideology pushed by the media and which Vass has internalized has been scientifically proven to produce a lack of empathy for white people. This kind of dismissive attitude is a consequence of that.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/articl ... _privilege
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:56 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:If only Trump didn't start with his "enemy of the people" rhetoric. He's giving the media the sense of persecution they need and making them look like valiant heroes. This is similar to the white supremacist issue in the sense that you ought to leave said person alone and let them talk, so then society gets to see how much of a cocksucker they really are.

The news aren't enemies of the people. They're just sociopathic weirdos who love it when something bad or controversial happens, and sometimes they'll even start the controversy (like in this case) so they can get that money. Most mainstream news whether left or right is full of real pathetic losers. I think it's about time they get the respect they deserve, which is none at all.

The media was behaving like this long before Trump.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Friendly reminder btw, because this is related to cancel culture, that when you cancel people, they don't just disappear. They still are alive and out there, and I guarantee you that you don't want a society full of angry, bitter, vengeful and jobless people with a feeling of persecution. That's literally a recipe for disaster. I dont think I need to go into detail as to what kinds of things can happen when you basically kick everyone out of work and run them out of town because "at age 12 they gave a banana to a black kid at lunch who was sitting next to them, and while it may have not even been racist and they're 39 now, we're still gonna get them fired from their job and have their kids taken from them."

People who are cancelled tend to vote Republican 95+% of the time. It seems to most certain way to ensure regression of social gains.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Prosa wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
I'm challenging the notion there should be such a freedom.

So you believe that the government should be able to control what news the people see? Yeah, that’s definitely always ended well.

He doesn’t but I do.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:20 pm

Gravlen wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Enemies of the people.

Yeah, no. Drop the Trumpian bullshit.

Dresderstan wrote:Why do we need a free press again?

Because a functioning free press is integral to a functioning democracy. If the system breaks down, like in this case, we need to fix it, not discard it.

Democracy has been shown to be nothing more than a steaming pile of crap that has led the US into oblivion at the hands of capitalist pigs
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 pm

WaPo sucks, I thought this was known.

Though I had not heard about this level of…incompetence? Maliciousness?
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Drexel Burnham Lambert
Secretary

Founded: Apr 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Drexel Burnham Lambert » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 pm

i like that our "authoritative" and "credible" news sources are owned by avaricious oligarchs
Drexel Burnham Lambert was an American investment bank that was forced into bankruptcy in February 1990 due to its involvement in illegal activities in the junk bond market, driven by Drexel employee Michael Milken. At its height, it was a Bulge Bracket bank, as the fifth-largest investment bank in the United States.
60 Broad Street,
New York, NY 10004
Wholly-owned subsidiary of Bear Stearns

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Reminder that the ideology pushed by the media and which Vass has internalized has been scientifically proven to produce a lack of empathy for white people. This kind of dismissive attitude is a consequence of that.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/articl ... _privilege

You've been sounding that alarm bell for quite a while, but now I'm starting to believe it. There's a right way to act and a wrong way to act, and you shouldn't treat people differently based on characteristics that people cannot change.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Intaglio
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Intaglio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:22 pm

I mean, the story seems pointless considering the incident happened years ago and she definitely shouldn't have been fired, but I don't really feel this is some sign of how far WaPo has fallen or whatever claim it is Reason.com is making.

As for the cancel culture some people have mentioned, I definitely agree that people are way too unforgiving; if somebody apologizes for what they did, we should forgive them, so long as they have put aside their past behavior. Not to mention the cancel culture is really nonsensical in some cases.
Last edited by Intaglio on Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General