NATION

PASSWORD

US won’t expel foreign students whose universities go online

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dollystana
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dollystana » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:MAGA. More like MAWA.

Make
America
White
Again

MADA.
Make
America
Dumb
Again.
I like warrior cats uwu and having fun
Catocratic Constitutional Monarchy.
Economic -3.38 Social -5.28
My views are basically Scandinavia, that's all you need to know
the best book series Eat sleep read warriors repeat. Warriors Wiki
Self-appointed Warrior cat of F7 overvuwu The Truth Behind Area 51 All About Me

Stats not used
If you support cats, put this in your signature.
Perikuresu wrote:All of mothers are hamsters and all of your fathers smelt like elderberries

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 pm

A very bad idea that is going to really make things unnecessarily hard for the foreign students for no real good reason.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:49 pm

Sounds good to me if they are citizens of the PRC...they should never haven been allowed in anyways and should not be allowed back under any circumstances. Fire anyone in the faculty who has PRC citizenship as well.

It'd be wise to exempt friendly and democratic nations, though. Indian students in particular are a huge asset at American universities.
Last edited by Vetalia on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 pm

I take a different view.

This isn't based on race, this is to discourage universities from going online only.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:52 pm

Vetalia wrote:Sounds good to me if they are citizens of the PRC...they should never haven been allowed in anyways and should not be allowed back under any circumstances.

It'd be wise to exempt friendly nations, though. Indian students in particular are a huge asset at American universities.

Why only kick out Chinese students?
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Vetalia wrote:Sounds good to me if they are citizens of the PRC...they should never haven been allowed in anyways and should not be allowed back under any circumstances.

It'd be wise to exempt friendly nations, though. Indian students in particular are a huge asset at American universities.

Discrimination against people based on national ethnicity? That's dumb.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Aeritai wrote:Why only kick out Chinese students?

I didn't say Chinese, I said PRC citizens.

Reutoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:54 pm

CoraSpia wrote:I take a different view.

This isn't based on race, this is to discourage universities from going online only.

Considering Trump keeps on tweeting about making School's open in the Fall and have in-person classes I can understand this point of view but I believe that it is just about pandering to his base about being 'Tough on China' and crap like that.
The Presidential Republic of Reutoa
19 year old Rockefeller Republican, College Student studying History to be a Teacher, Former Campaign Aide, aspiring pescatarian

WELD 2020
"Every time you stand up for an ideal, you send forth a tiny ripple of hope."
-Senator Robert F. Kennedy

Every post made before August 2020 is not canon for this Nation.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Aeritai wrote:

Because apparently ALL Chinese students are CCP spies. Even the ones from Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Last edited by Gormwood on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Andsed wrote:Discrimination against people based on national ethnicity? That's dumb.

Citizenship, not ethnicity. I would absolutely welcome Taiwanese and ethnic Chinese from democratic states in SE Asia in a heartbeat.
Last edited by Vetalia on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm

Gormwood wrote:Because apparently ALL Chinese students are CCP spies. Even the ones from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Point out where I said "ethnically Chinese" and get back to me.
Last edited by Vetalia on Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dollystana
Envoy

Founded: Aug 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dollystana » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 pm

Gormwood wrote:
Aeritai wrote:

Because apparently ALL Chinese students are CCP spies. Even the ones from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Even Andrew Yang

-Biden
I like warrior cats uwu and having fun
Catocratic Constitutional Monarchy.
Economic -3.38 Social -5.28
My views are basically Scandinavia, that's all you need to know
the best book series Eat sleep read warriors repeat. Warriors Wiki
Self-appointed Warrior cat of F7 overvuwu The Truth Behind Area 51 All About Me

Stats not used
If you support cats, put this in your signature.
Perikuresu wrote:All of mothers are hamsters and all of your fathers smelt like elderberries

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Discrimination against people based on national ethnicity? That's dumb.

Citizenship, not ethnicity.

Whatever. It is still an idea that should go fuck itself. Discriminating against people because they come from a nation we don't like is a ridiculous proposal.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Andsed wrote:Whatever. It is still an idea that should go fuck itself. Discriminating against people because they come from a nation we don't like is a ridiculous proposal.

Despite the fact that citizens of that nation are actively involved in spying and intellectual property theft? I am perfectly fine with discriminating against people who come from enemies of the United States, same as I would be back in the Cold War with admitting "students" from the Soviet Union.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Because apparently ALL Chinese students are CCP spies. Even the ones from Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Point out where I said "ethnically Chinese" and get back to me.

As if China was above faking citizenship documents for their trusted moles.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Andsed wrote:Whatever. It is still an idea that should go fuck itself. Discriminating against people because they come from a nation we don't like is a ridiculous proposal.

Despite the fact that citizens of that nation are actively involved in spying and intellectual property theft? I am perfectly fine with discriminating against people who come from enemies of the United States, same as I would be back in the Cold War with admitting "students" from the Soviet Union.

Has it ever crossed your mind that not all people coming from the PRC are here to aid them against the US? Because that is reality. Discrimination on the basis they might be helping a power we don't get along with is just dumb.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Gormwood wrote:As if China was above faking citizenship documents for their trusted moles.

That doesn't matter...even if it did, you tried to paint me as an evil racist against Chinese people and now you're walking it back because you're so obviously wrong.

Deacarsia
Ambassador

Founded: May 12, 2019
Right-wing Utopia

United States to Expel Foreign Students

Postby Deacarsia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:06 pm

I see nothing necessarily wrong with this, especially if it is for national security reasons.
Visit vaticancatholic.com

Extra Ecclésiam nulla salus

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Gormwood wrote:As if China was above faking citizenship documents for their trusted moles.

That doesn't matter...even if it did, you tried to paint me as an evil racist against Chinese people and now you're walking it back because you're so obviously wrong.

Pffft. You don't even mention any set guidelines, just "BAN CHINESE" and now you're trying to Baghdad Bob your way out of it.

Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Deacarsia wrote:I see nothing necessarily wrong with this, especially if it is for national security reasons.

wdym national security?
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:07 pm

Deacarsia wrote:I see nothing necessarily wrong with this, especially if it is for national security reasons.

Nothing wrong with Trump's phone conversation with Ukraine being classified for National Security Reasons either.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Andsed wrote:Has it ever crossed your mind that not all people coming from the PRC are here to aid them against the US? Because that is reality. Discrimination on the basis they might be helping a power we don't get along with is just dumb.

It's not dumb, do you think the knowledge these "middling" PRC citizens (who would never, ever think of espionage) gain won't be put to use to aid an enemy of the United States? It has happened time, and time, and time again with absolutely zero benefit to the United States from having them here. Even worse, they crowd out slots that would normally be available to Americans because they can pay more at the "international student" rate. I'm sorry, but American universities should be for the benefit of Americans first.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Gormwood wrote:Pffft. You don't even mention any set guidelines, just "BAN CHINESE" and now you're trying to Baghdad Bob your way out of it.

Where did I say "ban Chinese"? I want you to cite that in one of my posts.

Reutoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Reutoa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:09 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:

wdym national security?

Because people think that if you are from a Country not allied with the USA that you will automatically try to steal American Secrets and give it to the Mother/Father Country, even though in most cases it is Americans fed up with the Government who trade State Secrets with Foreign Countries.
Last edited by Reutoa on Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Presidential Republic of Reutoa
19 year old Rockefeller Republican, College Student studying History to be a Teacher, Former Campaign Aide, aspiring pescatarian

WELD 2020
"Every time you stand up for an ideal, you send forth a tiny ripple of hope."
-Senator Robert F. Kennedy

Every post made before August 2020 is not canon for this Nation.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:13 pm

Reutoa wrote:Because people think that if you are from a Country not allied with the USA that you will automatically try to steal American Secrets and give it to the Mother/Father Country, even though in most cases it is Americans fed up with the Government who trade State Secrets with Foreign Countries.

Except it has happened numerous times. China's IP theft has been rampant in both industry and academia.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General