NATION

PASSWORD

Somerville, Mass to recognize polyamorous partnerships

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of this?

I'm not poly, but good for them
42%
I'm gonna tell my wife and her boyfriend, so we can start planning the move
7%
Meh/undecided
11%
This is no bueno
40%

Total votes : 187

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Cetacea wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Because social norms are not as firm as we might like to pretend, and poly relationships can and have been normalized and mainstreamed in other societies, and it usually doesn't end well when you reach them being prevalent and the norm. That's separate to them being tolerated with this understanding in mind.

Can you give any real examples where socially acceptable polyamory have caused social breakdown? I’d argue that serial monogamy is normalised and more of an issue

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... -civil-war

A very strong correlation between Polygamy.

Generally if men are denied the ability to reproduce they tend to become anti social. A large enough group of men become denied then society becomes unstable. Yes I agree men are not entitled to sex, but saying that and shaking your finger at them doesn't make them any less violent.

Also uneven sex ratios also produce this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5983495/

Now yes the correlation is with multiple wives but I am not convinced the multiple husband will make up for that, for the simple fact that as men seek to have children they will transition to monogamous relationships in order to ensure any child they invest 18 years of time and money into are actually theirs.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:29 am

Atheris wrote:Ruh-roh. I don't think this will end well.Last time I saw polyamory in the news, well, that was during the whole ProJared debacle. I really hope something like that doesn't happen again, especially as a result of what's happening in Somerville.

Imagine thinking the ProJared drama was bad because of polyamory, and not a guy cheating on his wife (I'm sure you'll be shocked to know that cheating is not a form of polyamory) and soliciting nudes from minors.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Parxland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Parxland » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:57 am

Cool.
- < D O O M > -

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:48 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
Can you give any real examples where socially acceptable polyamory have caused social breakdown? I’d argue that serial monogamy is normalised and more of an issue

https://www.economist.com/the-economist ... -civil-war

A very strong correlation between Polygamy.

Generally if men are denied the ability to reproduce they tend to become anti social. A large enough group of men become denied then society becomes unstable. Yes I agree men are not entitled to sex, but saying that and shaking your finger at them doesn't make them any less violent.

Also uneven sex ratios also produce this. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5983495/

Now yes the correlation is with multiple wives but I am not convinced the multiple husband will make up for that, for the simple fact that as men seek to have children they will transition to monogamous relationships in order to ensure any child they invest 18 years of time and money into are actually theirs.

Arguably the current instability is due to functional polyamory in our society. The radicalization of the country can be traced to the market crash and subsequent dynamic. The number of men having no sex skyrocketed, while the number of women having no sex stayed the same. This is because women don't sleep with poor men or socially marginalized men if given the choice due to how female identity and sexuality is constructed. So women started sleeping with richer men and it's led to a massive social rift that has led to radicalization of the populace, including boogaloo memes.

It's difficult to buy into the "You're not entitled to sex" framing when womens sexuality so clearly reinforces material and social hierarchies, despite their oft repeated claims (Spammed in order to protect their own egos and blame men) that its because of those mens personal flaws and so on, the study demonstrates that isn't the case. When they had money, they got sex, when the market crashed, that stopped.

We hear a lot from feminists about how male sexuality is problematic. But when various manospheric movements make these observations about womens sexuality, the reaction has been to cast their gaze anywhere else but at examining how womens identities are toxic and behavior for society, and to basically insist upon lying to themselves and men for why the dynamic is in place.

The acknowledgement of the problem of a large number of single, sexless men driving the alt-right and so on is one that isn't controversial. But feminists and women default into blaming them for their personality flaws and acting like it's because of masculinity, or something wrong with the men, because this is how feminism has trained them to think, and because their identities as people are based on regurgitating that kind of analysis rather than engaging in honest self-reflection.

But once again...

It can be traced to the market crash.

The problem isn't that they're "Nice guys", it's that they are poor. That's basically impossible for women to defend or internalize, so they come up with a myriad of lies and excuses for their choices instead, desperately rationalizing excuses in order to protect their ego and view of themselves rather than confront what they actually are and how they actually behave. There is nothing more destructive to womanhood than self-awareness. (And note, I'm saying this is a good thing. Womanhood should be deconstructed and destroyed and rebuilt into a more functional identity and set of behaviors. Same for Manhood.).

This dynamic also shows why "Polyamory" is always going to lead to Polygamy, not balanced by Polyandry. Because womens sexuality is constructed in such a way to cause that outcome. Far more women will be comfortable being a rich mans 2nd or 3rd wife and consider that a desirable outcome than the reverse.

And it also shows why it's going to lead to social instability, division, polarization, and arguably violence and eventual civil war. Because women keep pretending to themselves and others that it's because the men have some undesirable personality traits, they dehumanize them and make them out to be bad people, rather than just say;

"I find money sexually attractive. The reason I won't sleep with those men is they do not have money.". Because that idea, that fact, is so antithetical to how women think of themselves, they can't bare it. It might force them to think "Okay, so am I going to become a borderline ancap type who openly accepts this fact about myself and push for a hierarchical hellscape of a society, or am I going to try and change my behavior and evaluate the toxic way I interact with men?". Far simpler to just cling to feminist ideology as gospel and avoid self-awareness, pretending to themselves the reasons are the men having bad personalities or something. That way, they can continue to identify as egalitarian people while behaving like inegalitarian people.

Source on claim:
https://old.reddit.com/r/science/commen ... m_2000_to/
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am

Grenartia wrote:
Atheris wrote:Ruh-roh. I don't think this will end well.Last time I saw polyamory in the news, well, that was during the whole ProJared debacle. I really hope something like that doesn't happen again, especially as a result of what's happening in Somerville.

Imagine thinking the ProJared drama was bad because of polyamory, and not a guy cheating on his wife (I'm sure you'll be shocked to know that cheating is not a form of polyamory) and soliciting nudes from minors.

I'm not saying it was bad because of polyarmory, just that Jared and his wife's polyamorous relationship either made it happen in the first place or exacerbated it 10x more than what it needed to be.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:36 am

Atheris wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I'm not saying it was bad because of polyarmory, just that Jared and his wife's polyamorous relationship either made it happen in the first place or exacerbated it 10x more than what it needed to be.

The last I heard, Jared was just trying to excuse his cheating by saying they were in a poly relationship, but his wife denied that. I haven't kept up with it in a hot minute, though.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

In the future I recommend linking to the study itself and not the reddit on it.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... erm=061220

I find linking to a Reddit while citing the a study the same as linking to shoddy pop history sources that cite primary sources but really quote other shoddy pop history sources.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:50 am

Grenartia wrote:
Atheris wrote:I'm not saying it was bad because of polyarmory, just that Jared and his wife's polyamorous relationship either made it happen in the first place or exacerbated it 10x more than what it needed to be.

The last I heard, Jared was just trying to excuse his cheating by saying they were in a poly relationship, but his wife denied that. I haven't kept up with it in a hot minute, though.

He cheated on his wife with Holly, but everything else is 100% the fault of his wife. There's a few videos I recommend you check out, especially this one by Treesicle.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 am

One off the cuff issue with polyamory is that it does, indeed, appear to work well for smart, stable adults dedicated to making the relationship work(at least in a liberal few/no kids strata- I've never seen any reports of it actually happening in a high-fertility environment), but that a significant percentage of the population does not meet all of those criteria. Therefore we should be pretty cautious about poly as a default, or as some kind of widespread social phenomenon, until we're sure that we've worked out all the kinks.
I'm pretty sure that we haven't, and notably, without strong, normative roles which dictate behavior in poly relationships- in order to compensate for the inevitable influx of people who are not smart, are not stable, stopped maturing at 17, or are not particularly dedicated to making the relationship work- I'm pretty sure the kinks can't be considered well enough worked out for it to be safe to let it out of the closet.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 am

Cool. Not polyamorous, but good for them.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am

Cetacea wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Because social norms are not as firm as we might like to pretend, and poly relationships can and have been normalized and mainstreamed in other societies, and it usually doesn't end well when you reach them being prevalent and the norm. That's separate to them being tolerated with this understanding in mind.

Serial monogamy is a good case study for this. We legalized it without fully considering the consequences, and look at that, the consequences.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:44 am

I think I want to be a family law attorney in mass. When I grow up.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 am

Atheris wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

He cheated on his wife with Holly, but everything else is 100% the fault of his wife. There's a few videos I recommend you check out, especially this one by Treesicle.

I admittedly saw the first two by them, but not the third.

Diopolis wrote:One off the cuff issue with polyamory is that it does, indeed, appear to work well for smart, stable adults dedicated to making the relationship work(at least in a liberal few/no kids strata- I've never seen any reports of it actually happening in a high-fertility environment), but that a significant percentage of the population does not meet all of those criteria. Therefore we should be pretty cautious about poly as a default, or as some kind of widespread social phenomenon, until we're sure that we've worked out all the kinks.
I'm pretty sure that we haven't, and notably, without strong, normative roles which dictate behavior in poly relationships- in order to compensate for the inevitable influx of people who are not smart, are not stable, stopped maturing at 17, or are not particularly dedicated to making the relationship work- I'm pretty sure the kinks can't be considered well enough worked out for it to be safe to let it out of the closet.

The big thing to remember here is that polyamory, just like monogamy, requires open, honest, forthwright communication, albeit, poly requires an even greater degree of it than mono.

I (along with probably most of the rest of the community) will freely admit polyamory isn't for everyone, and a decent chunk of people won't know if its for them or not until they try it, and some of those people will get burned. But its no different from mono relationships in general. Collectively, as a society, we all accept that in a monogamous relationship, there is a significant chance that some kind of toxicity will develop, and most monogamous relationships will not 'succeed' even if no toxicity happens, but we also accept that consenting adults are free to take that risk to discover true love and happiness. The same thought process applies to polyamory.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 am

I wonder if this will attract Mormons.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Asle Leopolka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Asle Leopolka » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm

More than one wife? What, do ya like being nagged?

But seriously, if that's your thing then fly your freak flag.
W̵̲͔͇͒̌̉̆̇͛̋ͅa̸̢̼̺̅̉̊͝l̶̟͈̳̗͒͜l̷̫͝ ̶̱̱̘͖̙̬͖̈́̏̕͘ō̴̼̭̥͔̮̟͒̒͒ͅn̴̖̦͎̯͕̈́̿͘͠ ̸̞̼͉͙́͐̏͝ẗ̴̮͕̰̫̖͉̩̍͆̂͛͝h̵̖̋̉̾̎͆e̸̞̩̳̲͙͎͑ ̴̩̈̽̈́͑S̵̯̮̟͈͎̭͠t̸͍̗̹̬͉̙̓͆̔̿r̸̡̤̺̱̹͈̦͑̈́̅ẹ̶̮͔̳̆͆̄̏̔e̴̢̺͚̠̟͕̋̄̂̓̽͘t̴̢̡̩͙̫̼̚,̸̩̖͌̈́͐̇ ̷̨͐͆P̵̳̦͗r̶̹̪̯͕̬̰̍̓͆o̷̠̱͙̠͔̗̫̽f̶̱͙͇̼̬̮̻̊͌̋į̸̯̩̖͇̍͋̓̾́̏̽ͅt̴͇̬͍̗̺̀̈́̈́͗͊ ̴̧̯̼̩͑̓̒͗i̷̪̲̜̮̼̲̎͑͊̂̕n̶͍̂ ̴͓̻̤̬͎̫̹̎͌̈́́̕͝t̸̺͚͍̕h̷͖͎̙͍̬̫̰̍̀̃̿̓e̷̛̩̔̑̌̾͊ ̵̤̖͎͔͖̂͘͝S̴̳͖̩̪͕̒͒̌͌͝h̷̝͇̱̝̻̓̓͂͑̒ȅ̶̛̞̱̮̏͐͜ḕ̷͙͉̄͜ť̸̫̩̟s̴̲̲̏̑̏̇͆͂͘͜

ᛖᚷᛟ ᛋᚢᛗ ᛒᛖᛋᛏᛁᚨ ᛖᚷᛟ ᚲᚢᛚᛏᚢᛋ
Personality: Chaotic Good | ENTJ | Math dominant | Pro business
Politically: Classical liberal | Pro 2A | Pro Choice | Behavioral economist

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Diopolis wrote:One off the cuff issue with polyamory is that it does, indeed, appear to work well for smart, stable adults dedicated to making the relationship work(at least in a liberal few/no kids strata- I've never seen any reports of it actually happening in a high-fertility environment), but that a significant percentage of the population does not meet all of those criteria. Therefore we should be pretty cautious about poly as a default, or as some kind of widespread social phenomenon, until we're sure that we've worked out all the kinks.

The big thing to remember here is that polyamory, just like monogamy, requires open, honest, forthwright communication, albeit, poly requires an even greater degree of it than mono.

I (along with probably most of the rest of the community) will freely admit polyamory isn't for everyone, and a decent chunk of people won't know if its for them or not until they try it, and some of those people will get burned. But its no different from mono relationships in general. Collectively, as a society, we all accept that in a monogamous relationship, there is a significant chance that some kind of toxicity will develop, and most monogamous relationships will not 'succeed' even if no toxicity happens, but we also accept that consenting adults are free to take that risk to discover true love and happiness. The same thought process applies to polyamory.

The fundamental point, which I think we both agree on, is that polyamory requires a lot of the same things as monogamy, and can go wrong in similar ways(and a few unique ways that require more than two people), but is a lot harder.
At least in a liberal low-fertility strata(and this is an important confounding variable, albeit we have no idea how it would affect the results of such experiments because we've never seen it), polyamory among smart, stable, mature adults with a strong dedication to the relationship does not seem to be a notable dumpster fire on a level which we can see.
Now as you admit, polyamory isn't for everyone and a substantial portion of people who try it will probably get burned. This is distinguished from more conventional relationships in multiple ways-
1)Monogamous relationships are usually going to have smaller fallout than polygamous relationships because there are fewer people.
2)The lack of a script for polyamorous relationships means that elders and other wise members of the community often cannot be consulted for problems their advice would render dealable with in monogamous relationships.
3)Polyamory is harder than monogamy. This means that it works for fewer people. Considering that we as a society are pretty quick to push monogamous relationships on people for whom any relationship is unlikely to be successful, I doubt that we will develop strong norms to restrict polyamory to the subset for whom it works.
4)The lack of a script for polyamory adds relationship stress because things have to be figured out as one goes along. Not a death knell, necessarily, but it does make it even harder.
5)Polyamory has only been demonstrated not to be a trainwreck in one particular social stratum, and that needs to be taken into account. What works in a well educated, wealthy, liberal, few-to-no-kids stratum may not work in a trailerpark(although what works in a trailerpark will probably work in such a stratum). But what goes on in high-prestige strata like the one experimenting with polyamory will inevitably get exported down the line to places like ghettos, trailerparks, and other locations with enhanced societal fragility.
Last edited by Diopolis on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:00 pm

Atheris wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Including the ways he abused her?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Thermodolia wrote:This is going to end in a massive dumpster fire. Though the lawyers will be happy

I will feel sorry for the child that gets the shit beat out of it by one of the fathers after the mother, and other partners become a massive meme thanks to the dumpster fire known formerly as Barcroft tv do a documentary on them.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I do want to get around to responding to this but I have to go cook for a fourth of July party, so I'm reserving this post.

Ok, that's fine.

Benuty wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:This is going to end in a massive dumpster fire. Though the lawyers will be happy

I will feel sorry for the child that gets the shit beat out of it by one of the fathers after the mother, and other partners become a massive meme thanks to the dumpster fire known formerly as Barcroft tv do a documentary on them.

What the actual fuck?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Benuty wrote:

did you have a stroke? should i call 911?
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Benuty wrote:I will feel sorry for the child that gets the shit beat out of it by one of the fathers after the mother, and other partners become a massive meme thanks to the dumpster fire known formerly as Barcroft tv do a documentary on them.

did you have a stroke? should i call 911?

Barcroft tv did a documentary on a polyamorous group, and these people became absolutely blasted on the internet. The woman at the center of the relationship gave birth to a child who was fought over by the male partners, and ultimately beaten half to death by one of the men.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Benuty wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:did you have a stroke? should i call 911?

Barcroft tv did a documentary on a polyamorous group, and these people became absolutely blasted on the internet. The woman at the center of the relationship gave birth to a child who was fought over by the male partners, and ultimately beaten half to death by one of the men.

It's a little self-selecting there in that you're in the intersection of "Polyamorous" and "Wants to go on modern reality television", and i'd wager those people are a total mess in ways that are well beyond the poly bit.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Asle Leopolka wrote:More than one wife? What, do ya like being nagged?

(Image)

But seriously, if that's your thing then fly your freak flag.

"One mother-in-law is one too many, why you'd want more than that is beyond me."
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Liriena wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Your concerns are historically valid (and I shudder to think what a poly divorce would look like), but I'm not entirely sure we'd be looking at the same negative outcomes, depending on the kind of poly relationships we're talking about. Traditional polyamory, as seen in many religious communities, has a ton of widespread and well-documented problems. But a lot of contemporary poly relationships don't come from those communities nor are structured like traditional polyamory. The dynamics are often very different and I'm not sure we can expect the consequences of their normalization to be the same.

If you have to be outside the norm to "date" multiple people, that will incentivize proceeding with caution.

If it's normal, people will be more complacent.

Our ape ancestors embraced polygamy and the result was sexual jealousy escalating to severe violence. Individually, people have the right to take that risk. Enshrining society's endorsement of it into law might be pushing it.

As well, if there's no limit as to how many spouses you can take... is there any meaningful distinction between a marriage and a club?
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:44 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Liriena wrote:Your concerns are historically valid (and I shudder to think what a poly divorce would look like), but I'm not entirely sure we'd be looking at the same negative outcomes, depending on the kind of poly relationships we're talking about. Traditional polyamory, as seen in many religious communities, has a ton of widespread and well-documented problems. But a lot of contemporary poly relationships don't come from those communities nor are structured like traditional polyamory. The dynamics are often very different and I'm not sure we can expect the consequences of their normalization to be the same.

If you have to be outside the norm to "date" multiple people, that will incentivize proceeding with caution.

If it's normal, people will be more complacent.

Our ape ancestors embraced polygamy and the result was sexual jealousy escalating to severe violence. Individually, people have the right to take that risk. Enshrining society's endorsement of it into law might be pushing it.

As well, if there's no limit as to how many spouses you can take... is there any meaningful distinction between a marriage and a club?

i'm concerned about how you approach social interaction if you think marriages can be equivalent to club membership purely due to number
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General