NATION

PASSWORD

Somerville, Mass to recognize polyamorous partnerships

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of this?

I'm not poly, but good for them
42%
I'm gonna tell my wife and her boyfriend, so we can start planning the move
7%
Meh/undecided
11%
This is no bueno
40%

Total votes : 187

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:To avoid cluttering my post, I will simply refer to the post, but, answer me this: since patriarchy is a thing, how would polyamory not be twisted into something serve it? How would you be able to prevent such abuses of the system occurring?

I mean, that's already polygamy.

But the difference would be, whether everyone in the polyamorous marriage is having opening communication and trust amongst those who wish to have multiple relationships.

One way would be for all the people involved consent and accept the marriage.
This would be different from Polygamy, where the male (or female) does not need consent from his (or her) other partners.

This is just idealism. The real world doesn't work like that, that is not a solution to the problem, it is just a platitude that says the problem shouldn't exist. The problem does exist and you need to be able to find a way for the problem to not exist.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:59 pm

Kragholm Free States wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
The same question could be asked about marriages between 2 people. Why should they be encouraged?

I never actually argued that they should be, although societal cohesion, incentivised protection of children, and ease of property inheritance all seem to be decent enough reasons. Ultimately there's just no great disadvantage to doing so.

Celritannia wrote:
Again, polygamy is one person controlling the relationship, not a good basis to follow multiple marriages for.

And how would you avoid granting those relationships state protection while doing so for the "good kind"?

Celritannia wrote:Polyamorous marriages would ensure all parties involved are heard and respected.

The divorce rate is already 42%, so clearly that doesn't work when there's only two people involved. How on earth would it be anything less than a complete clusterfuck with more than that?

Some exceedingly rare examples. I could find examples of consensual murder and cannibalism, doesn't mean we should encourage it.

1. Fair enough.
In all honesty, I dislike the concept of marriage anyway, but I am not against it.

But those things can also happen in 3 or 4 way marriages.

2. Ensuring all parties involved have expressed consent that they all wish to marry each other, or one person wishes to seek another spouse.

3. That's up to the people involved, not us.

4. Consensual Murder is a crime that insists to harm someone.

Cannibalism is not illegal, I have seen a Reddit thread where an amputee cooks his own leg at a BBQ for close friends out of curiosity.
However, harming someone to eat their flesh is a crime.

Polyamory does not wish to harm anyone, only share their lives with each other.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I mean, that's already polygamy.

But the difference would be, whether everyone in the polyamorous marriage is having opening communication and trust amongst those who wish to have multiple relationships.

One way would be for all the people involved consent and accept the marriage.
This would be different from Polygamy, where the male (or female) does not need consent from his (or her) other partners.

This is just idealism. The real world doesn't work like that, that is not a solution to the problem, it is just a platitude that says the problem shouldn't exist. The problem does exist and you need to be able to find a way for the problem to not exist.

Not idealism, this already happens in polyamorous relationships.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:This is just idealism. The real world doesn't work like that, that is not a solution to the problem, it is just a platitude that says the problem shouldn't exist. The problem does exist and you need to be able to find a way for the problem to not exist.

That's just plain naive. And it goes against the argument that polyamory grants more freedom than monogamy.

If you have to get permission from all other partners in order to add an additional partner, then that is actually less free than monogamy. That is the nature of multi-party contracts though.
Last edited by Punished UMN on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:14 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

That's just plain naive. And it goes against the argument that polyamory grants more freedom than monogamy.

If you have to get permission from all other partners in order to add an additional partner, then that is actually less free than monogamy. That is the nature of multi-party contracts though.

It's not naive.
It's called communication.
If one person didn't like the idea of their partner having another one, they would listen. Which is different compared to Polygamy.

And let's not forget, in monogamy, only 2 people are involved.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:That's just plain naive. And it goes against the argument that polyamory grants more freedom than monogamy.

It's not naive.

You do not understand. You are assuming that all relationships involve communication and lack coercion when you say that.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
It's not naive.

You do not understand. You are assuming that all relationships involve communication and lack coercion when you say that.

What relationships have you been in that don't have communication?
But when it comes to the polyamorous relationships I have read about and know from good friends, communication about adding additional partners is a primary aspect.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:You do not understand. You are assuming that all relationships involve communication and lack coercion when you say that.

But when it comes to the polyamorous relationships I have read about and know from good friends, communication about adding additional partners is a primary aspect.

I have not been in such a relationship, but I have known many people who have been in bad and exploitative relationships, both mono and poly.

Yes, that is ideally an aspect, but that doesn't address that the law has no way to mandate that that is a thing.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

I have not been in such a relationship, but I have known many people who have been in bad and exploitative relationships, both mono and poly.

Yes, that is ideally an aspect, but that doesn't address that the law has no way to mandate that that is a thing.

As it has no way in mandating such a thing in monogamous marriages either.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I have not been in such a relationship, but I have known many people who have been in bad and exploitative relationships, both mono and poly.

Yes, but at least in monogamous settings, the exploitative partner is limited to only one partner and the partner can leave with less legal hassle and without abandoning a much larger social support structure. Moreover, when people are suffering together, they are more inclined to remain in a situation where they are suffering.
Last edited by Punished UMN on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Yes, but at least in monogamous settings, the exploitative partner is limited to only one partner and the partner can leave with less legal hassle and without abandoning a much larger social support structure. Moreover, when people are suffering together, they are more inclined to remain in a situation where they are suffering.

Then that's something for the people involved to sort out, not us.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yes, but at least in monogamous settings, the exploitative partner is limited to only one partner and the partner can leave with less legal hassle and without abandoning a much larger social support structure. Moreover, when people are suffering together, they are more inclined to remain in a situation where they are suffering.

No, actually, it isn't. Social contracts are sorted out by society.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

No, actually, it isn't. Social contracts are sorted out by society.

But you want to get involved of the private lives of individuals who take out a contract for them and no one else.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:37 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:No, actually, it isn't. Social contracts are sorted out by society.

But you want to get involved of the private lives of individuals who take out a contracts for them and no one else.

Yes, that is how the enforcement of contracts work. Do you understand what a legal contract is?

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:39 pm

A divorce from such a relationship would be a legal nightmare I must say.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
But you want to get involved of the private lives of individuals who take out a contracts for them and no one else.

Yes, that is how the enforcement of contracts work. Do you understand what a legal contract is?

I do. But unless you are the government official overseeing the contract, or a law enforcement officer dispatched to deal with a domestic issue involving said contracting, then you have no reason to be apart of what happens.

Just as you have no reason to be involved of someone's divorce, marriage, or funeral.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:42 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:A divorce from such a relationship would be a legal nightmare I must say.

Depends who was married to who.
If it was one person married to 2 people, then only one person gets divorced.

If 3 people were jointly married, then it would be a mess.
But I still support these marriages regardless, since the private lives of these people do not concern me.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:43 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yes, that is how the enforcement of contracts work. Do you understand what a legal contract is?

I do. But unless you are the government official overseeing the contract, or a law enforcement officer dispatched to deal with a domestic issue involving said contracting, then you have no reason to be apart of what happens.

That is a misrepresentation of what I support. I do not want to get personally involved in the enforcement of contracts as a private citizen, what I want is for contracts to be enforceable and for contracts to be less prone to exploitation. A multi-party contract creating a legal union of persons would be extremely difficult to enforce and easy to exploit, and that does not even go into how prone such a relationship structure could be to gaslighting and emotional manipulation more generally.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Celritannia wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:A divorce from such a relationship would be a legal nightmare I must say.

But I still support these marriages regardless, since the private lives of these people do not concern me.

Private lives of all citizens concern all other citizens.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

That is a misrepresentation of what I support. I do not want to get personally involved in the enforcement of contracts as a private citizen, what I want is for contracts to be enforceable and for contracts to be less prone to exploitation. A multi-party contract creating a legal union of persons would be extremely difficult to enforce and easy to exploit, and that does not even go into how prone such a relationship structure could be to gaslighting and emotional manipulation more generally.

IT depends what the people involved want to get out of the relationship and what they put in the contract.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Yes, that is how the enforcement of contracts work. Do you understand what a legal contract is?

Just as you have no reason to be involved of someone's divorce, marriage, or funeral.

Notably, all three of those things include people who are not, by the way, getting divorced/married or buried as major parts.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Private lives of all citizens concern all other citizens.

What do I have to gain from knowing the private lives of people 4 doors down from me?

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:That is a misrepresentation of what I support. I do not want to get personally involved in the enforcement of contracts as a private citizen, what I want is for contracts to be enforceable and for contracts to be less prone to exploitation. A multi-party contract creating a legal union of persons would be extremely difficult to enforce and easy to exploit, and that does not even go into how prone such a relationship structure could be to gaslighting and emotional manipulation more generally.

IT depends what the people involved want to get out of the relationship and what they put in the contract.

Marriage is not a private contract, it is a social contract. The people in the marriage don't decide the conditions for it unless they have a prenuptial and even then those are not legally binding.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Notably, all three of those things include people who are not, by the way, getting divorced/married or buried as major parts.

Yes, but only include the parties involved, not every Tom, Dick, Harry.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Private lives of all citizens concern all other citizens.

What do I have to gain from knowing the private lives of people 4 doors down from me?

If it were just that, that would be well and good, but that is not the question we must ask. What we must ask is "what do I have to gain and lose from public behavior?"

Marriage and relationship norms are not a private affair just as commerce is not a private affair and just as government policy is not a private affair. My actions affect you and your actions affect me. The only way to resolve this conflict of interests is to have as many members of society as possible agree to specifically laid out social conditions (the social contract) and to put sanctions against the few who do not abide to these social conditions.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General