NATION

PASSWORD

Somerville, Mass to recognize polyamorous partnerships

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of this?

I'm not poly, but good for them
77
41%
I'm gonna tell my wife and her boyfriend, so we can start planning the move
14
8%
Meh/undecided
20
11%
This is no bueno
75
40%
 
Total votes : 186

User avatar
State of Turelisa
Diplomat
 
Posts: 574
Founded: May 30, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby State of Turelisa » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:25 pm

Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.
There is TRUTH beyond our ability to prove.
My Personal Theology

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19674
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:29 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.

You made a statement, not a point and indicated you do not wish to debate on a debate forum.

Well,10 points from your side.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Necroghastia
Minister
 
Posts: 3246
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:41 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.

Max Barry or violet or someone idfk wrote:General

For discussion and debate about anything.


Why are you here if you don't want to debate or discuss your points?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Farnhamia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 106672
Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:45 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.

Max Barry or violet or someone idfk wrote:General

For discussion and debate about anything.


Why are you here if you don't want to debate or discuss your points?

It's his prerogative. I'd let it go.
Wash Your Damned Hands!

Freedom ... or cake. ~ Ashmoria (RIP)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo

User avatar
Lavan Tiri
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7305
Founded: Feb 18, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lavan Tiri » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Are there really 10+ pages of people arguing about this?

It has no effect on your life unless you or someone important who just happens to live in Somerville, Massachusetts is polyamorous! It's not "decaying society" or whatever the fuck, as long as everyone involved is a consenting member of the same age group it's not hurting anyone--what's the deal?
Big Jim P wrote:I like the way you think.

Constaniana wrote:Ah, so you were dropped on your head. This explains a lot.

Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Snarky bastard.

The Grey Wolf wrote:You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Renewed Imperial Germany wrote:I'm not sure whether to laugh because thIs is the best satire I've ever seen or be very very afraid because someone actually thinks all this so.... have a cookie?


Rep. Jason Evander (R-South Dakota)
Gov. Russell Long (D-Louisiana)
Sen. Kimberly Dunbar (R-Kansas)

SPIRITUALLY CONFUSED
LIBERTARIAN SOCIALIST


My pronouns are they/them

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm

Comfed wrote:Polygamy is very stressful and damaging for all parties involved, including children.


Mormon or Muslim polygamy, or actual polyamory?

As someone who's been in actual poly relationships, its no more "stressful" or "damaging" than a mono relationship.

We’re all humans, but humans should only have one lover.


Why?

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.


Then why'd you say that on a debate forum?

Lavan Tiri wrote:Are there really 10+ pages of people arguing about this?

It has no effect on your life unless you or someone important who just happens to live in Somerville, Massachusetts is polyamorous! It's not "decaying society" or whatever the fuck, as long as everyone involved is a consenting member of the same age group it's not hurting anyone--what's the deal?


But, Lavan. THE MUSLIMS AND MORMONS TREATED THEIR WOMEN LIKE PROPERTY!!!!eleven1
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52912
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 am

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.


Thank you for admitting that your argument has no leg to stand on if you don't want us debating it. As such we're free to dismiss it entirely.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19674
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 am

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other.


While you are not going to answer.... I wonder.. where does it say that ?
After all, the Bible tells us it was first Adam with God, then Adam with all the animals and then Adam and Eve (or Lilith first if you believe that) and then probably Adam with his children. And later on we learn of many, many other arrangements that God approves, like fucking your slave (Hagar).
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Crockerland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5359
Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Crockerland » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:23 am

Celritannia wrote:Superb news.

BTW, arguments that involve "but it will destroy society" were said over LGBT marriages, women's rights, giving women the vote, giving the working class the vote, freeing slaves etc.
So that argument has no leg to stand on.

"My nutritionist said I need to stop eating 45 butterdogs a day. Well, he's a doctor - You know who else was a doctor? Josef Mengele. Therefore, I should keep eating my 45 butterdogs per day."

https://owl.excelsior.edu/argument-and-critical-thinking/logical-fallacies/logical-fallacies-guilt-by-association/
A guilt by association fallacy occurs when someone connects an opponent to a demonized group of people or to a bad person in order to discredit his or her argument. The idea is that the person is “guilty” by simply being similar to this “bad” group and, therefore, should not be listened to about anything.
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Self-defense, Biodiesel, LGBTI equality, Universal healthcare, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to life


User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52912
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 am

Crockerland wrote:
Celritannia wrote:Superb news.

BTW, arguments that involve "but it will destroy society" were said over LGBT marriages, women's rights, giving women the vote, giving the working class the vote, freeing slaves etc.
So that argument has no leg to stand on.

"My nutritionist said I need to stop eating 45 butterdogs a day. Well, he's a doctor - You know who else was a doctor? Josef Mengele. Therefore, I should keep eating my 45 butterdogs per day."

https://owl.excelsior.edu/argument-and-critical-thinking/logical-fallacies/logical-fallacies-guilt-by-association/
A guilt by association fallacy occurs when someone connects an opponent to a demonized group of people or to a bad person in order to discredit his or her argument. The idea is that the person is “guilty” by simply being similar to this “bad” group and, therefore, should not be listened to about anything.


So what is the evidence that recognising polyamorous relationships will actually destroy society then?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Grenartia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 42499
Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:33 am

Crockerland wrote:
Celritannia wrote:Superb news.

BTW, arguments that involve "but it will destroy society" were said over LGBT marriages, women's rights, giving women the vote, giving the working class the vote, freeing slaves etc.
So that argument has no leg to stand on.

"My nutritionist said I need to stop eating 45 butterdogs a day. Well, he's a doctor - You know who else was a doctor? Josef Mengele. Therefore, I should keep eating my 45 butterdogs per day."

https://owl.excelsior.edu/argument-and-critical-thinking/logical-fallacies/logical-fallacies-guilt-by-association/
A guilt by association fallacy occurs when someone connects an opponent to a demonized group of people or to a bad person in order to discredit his or her argument. The idea is that the person is “guilty” by simply being similar to this “bad” group and, therefore, should not be listened to about anything.


https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

the fallacy fallacy
You presumed that because a claim has been poorly argued, or a fallacy has been made, that the claim itself must be wrong.


Also, a healthy dose of Godwin's Law.
Impeach Humanity, Legalize Death Stars, Life is TheftWis/Gren 2016 Something all cisgender allies should start doing. I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith. ⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧
"Don't take life so serious. It isn't permanent."-Dyakovo
I'm a pansexual Androgyne. Also a Christian.
Please use they/them/their when referencing me, as I do NOT appreciate the other pronouns.
Textbook definition of irony
Quotes of awesomeness

User avatar
Nuroblav
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1488
Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nuroblav » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:51 am

State of Turelisa wrote:Marriage is and should be a union between a man and a woman bound by vows taken before God to love and honour each other. I don't want to debate about it with you angry LGBT supporting people. I've made my point and there's no point or argument which I've not heard before.

Ah yes, because everything should all revolve around a religion not everyone follows.
Your NS Anarcho-Communist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -7.13, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16446
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:25 am

Vassenor wrote:
Crockerland wrote:"My nutritionist said I need to stop eating 45 butterdogs a day. Well, he's a doctor - You know who else was a doctor? Josef Mengele. Therefore, I should keep eating my 45 butterdogs per day."

https://owl.excelsior.edu/argument-and-critical-thinking/logical-fallacies/logical-fallacies-guilt-by-association/
A guilt by association fallacy occurs when someone connects an opponent to a demonized group of people or to a bad person in order to discredit his or her argument. The idea is that the person is “guilty” by simply being similar to this “bad” group and, therefore, should not be listened to about anything.


So what is the evidence that recognising polyamorous relationships will actually destroy society then?

do u ever get tired of doing this?
RWDT - REST IN POWER
David Hume fangirl, massive Tuvaboo, anti-imperialist, and Castroist socialist. Also a sex-negative SWERF, traditionalist SJW, and Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian.
/tʃɛ'koʊ.vi:.ju:/ (check-OH-vee-you)

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52912
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:56 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what is the evidence that recognising polyamorous relationships will actually destroy society then?

do u ever get tired of doing this?


What, asking for evidence that a thing is bad rather than just accepting that it is bad because someone on the internet said so?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16446
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:18 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:do u ever get tired of doing this?


What, asking for evidence that a thing is bad rather than just accepting that it is bad because someone on the internet said so?

yes - particularly when evidence has already been presented and when you haven't presented counterevidence
RWDT - REST IN POWER
David Hume fangirl, massive Tuvaboo, anti-imperialist, and Castroist socialist. Also a sex-negative SWERF, traditionalist SJW, and Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian.
/tʃɛ'koʊ.vi:.ju:/ (check-OH-vee-you)

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52912
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:24 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
What, asking for evidence that a thing is bad rather than just accepting that it is bad because someone on the internet said so?

yes - particularly when evidence has already been presented and when you haven't presented counterevidence


And where was it presented?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16446
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:31 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:yes - particularly when evidence has already been presented and when you haven't presented counterevidence


And where was it presented?

i literally presented it in response to YOU and then you responded with an irrelevant article that did not counter the actual point
viewtopic.php?p=37372337#p37372337
RWDT - REST IN POWER
David Hume fangirl, massive Tuvaboo, anti-imperialist, and Castroist socialist. Also a sex-negative SWERF, traditionalist SJW, and Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian.
/tʃɛ'koʊ.vi:.ju:/ (check-OH-vee-you)

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24277
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And where was it presented?

i literally presented it in response to YOU and then you responded with an irrelevant article that did not counter the actual point
viewtopic.php?p=37372337#p37372337

Your evidence was, as the same the last time we did this, about polygamy, not polyamory. Try again.
Spanish-American Atheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Ni dios, ni rey, ni patria, ni amo


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16446
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 am

Kowani wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:i literally presented it in response to YOU and then you responded with an irrelevant article that did not counter the actual point
viewtopic.php?p=37372337#p37372337

Your evidence was, as the same the last time we did this, about polygamy, not polyamory. Try again.

the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.
RWDT - REST IN POWER
David Hume fangirl, massive Tuvaboo, anti-imperialist, and Castroist socialist. Also a sex-negative SWERF, traditionalist SJW, and Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian.
/tʃɛ'koʊ.vi:.ju:/ (check-OH-vee-you)

User avatar
Necroghastia
Minister
 
Posts: 3246
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Kowani wrote:Your evidence was, as the same the last time we did this, about polygamy, not polyamory. Try again.

the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.

Also vastly different social/cultural/political conditions but let's ignore that in favor of pretending it's impossible for more than 2 people can have a loving, consensual relationship.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16446
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Cekoviu » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.

Also vastly different social/cultural/political conditions but let's ignore that in favor of pretending it's impossible for more than 2 people can have a loving, consensual relationship.

yeah i like that idea!
RWDT - REST IN POWER
David Hume fangirl, massive Tuvaboo, anti-imperialist, and Castroist socialist. Also a sex-negative SWERF, traditionalist SJW, and Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian.
/tʃɛ'koʊ.vi:.ju:/ (check-OH-vee-you)

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24277
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Kowani wrote:Your evidence was, as the same the last time we did this, about polygamy, not polyamory. Try again.

the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.

And this is entirely false.
Spanish-American Atheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Ni dios, ni rey, ni patria, ni amo


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52912
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:47 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And where was it presented?

i literally presented it in response to YOU and then you responded with an irrelevant article that did not counter the actual point
viewtopic.php?p=37372337#p37372337


So I did present counter evidence and you just stuck your fingers in your ears and screamed because you didn't like it.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

User avatar
Auze
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1967
Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Auze » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:56 am

Kowani wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.

And this is entirely false.

Yeah, there’s also a difference of about two letters.
Hello, I'm an LDS kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].

Anyway, how about a game?
RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.

User avatar
Necroghastia
Minister
 
Posts: 3246
Founded: May 11, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am

Auze wrote:
Kowani wrote:And this is entirely false.

Yeah, there’s also a difference of about two letters.

Necroghastia wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:the difference between polygamy and polyamory is paperwork.

Also vastly different social/cultural/political conditions but let's ignore that in favor of pretending it's impossible for more than 2 people can have a loving, consensual relationship.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alcala-Cordel, Bienenhalde, Carnault, Columbia and America, Dresderstan, Ethel mermania, Eurasies, Google [Bot], Greater Miami Shores, Greed and Death, Heloin, Hfhbsd, Kowani, New haven america, Salus Maior, Sylh Alanor, The Greater Ohio Valley, Thermodolia, Vasilinople, West Leas Oros 2, Wubdich

Advertisement

Remove ads