NATION

PASSWORD

Somerville, Mass to recognize polyamorous partnerships

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of this?

I'm not poly, but good for them
42%
I'm gonna tell my wife and her boyfriend, so we can start planning the move
7%
Meh/undecided
11%
This is no bueno
40%

Total votes : 187

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 am

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:not really no

Oppressing people based on who they are, what they do or what they say, no matter how relatively harmless, and having them imprisoned, killed or "disappeared" as a result is not even a remotely good alternative to freedom.

polyamory is not "relatively harmless"
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:50 am

Cekoviu wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Oppressing people based on who they are, what they do or what they say, no matter how relatively harmless, and having them imprisoned, killed or "disappeared" as a result is not even a remotely good alternative to freedom.

You're right here, admittedly.
It's totally harmless.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:53 am

Cekoviu wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Oppressing people based on who they are, what they do or what they say, no matter how relatively harmless, and having them imprisoned, killed or "disappeared" as a result is not even a remotely good alternative to freedom.

Did you actually prove that harm exists or not?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:polyamory is not "relatively harmless"

not to get all philosophical on u but you cannot actually """prove""" anything

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:59 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

not to get all philosophical on u but you cannot actually """prove""" anything

So you have no evidence that polyamory causes harm but assert that it causes harm anyway.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:not to get all philosophical on u but you cannot actually """prove""" anything

So you have no evidence that polyamory causes harm but assert that it causes harm anyway.

Of course it causes harm. The idea that it does not cause harm is the one that needs evidence.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:10 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:not to get all philosophical on u but you cannot actually """prove""" anything

for someone obsessed with facts and logic, you sure do love making non-sequiturs

https://www.economist.com/christmas-spe ... my-and-war
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 093142.htm

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

for someone obsessed with facts and logic, you sure do love making non-sequiturs

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180628151713.htm
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 pm

this focuses on individual benefits while ignoring the detriment to society - you understand how i, as a collectivist, might find this unconvincing?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Cekoviu wrote:not really no

Oppressing people based on who they are, what they do or what they say, no matter how relatively harmless, and having them imprisoned, killed or "disappeared" as a result is not even a remotely good alternative to freedom.

I mean, if we didn't oppress serial killers on the basis of what they do, that would be a problem.
I think what you mean to say is that oppressing people for harmless things is not a good alternative to freedom. In which case the disagreement is over whether or not polyamory is harmless.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Diopolis wrote:

I mean, if we didn't oppress serial killers on the basis of what they do, that would be a problem.
I think what you mean to say is that oppressing people for harmless things is not a good alternative to freedom. In which case the disagreement is over whether or not polyamory is harmless.

Well yeah, I think that was probably what they meant but that makes sense. I'd argue that the state should stay out of this sort of stuff - even if I fail to understand why anyone would bother with it.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Nuroblav wrote:
Diopolis wrote:I mean, if we didn't oppress serial killers on the basis of what they do, that would be a problem.

Well yeah, I think that was probably what they meant but that makes sense.

Probably, but it is an assumption that has to be challenged, or else conceded.
I'd argue that the state should stay out of this sort of stuff - even if I fail to understand why anyone would bother with it.

I understand and respect your position. I don't happen to agree with it, on the basis that the state has a vested interest in encouraging monogamy and marital stability. But it is a clear and consistent position.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Diopolis wrote:I think what you mean to say is that oppressing people for harmless things is not a good alternative to freedom.

That is what I meant.
Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:49 pm

Imagine living in a world full of political oppression and corruption, ecological catastrophe, and widespread pestilence, and you wake up one morning and think to yourself “no... the REAL problem is the poly clusters in that small Massachusetts town... could do in the whole culture if we let that go better make that today’s priority”
Last edited by Senkaku on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Senkaku wrote:Imagine living in a world full of political oppression and corruption, ecological catastrophe, and widespread pestilence, and you wake up one morning and think to yourself “no... the REAL problem is the poly clusters in that small Massachusetts town... could do in the whole culture if we let that go better make that today’s priority”

We can say the same for the folks who passed this nonsense. " We could get black kids more jobs, nah let's confuse the family courts to hell".

If the state did it with appropriate family law legislation it's fine, it is a change that we can debate good or bad. A town does it with nothing to back it up it's nothing more than feel good virtue signaling, and rightfully should be deplored.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Diopolis wrote:In which case the disagreement is over whether or not polyamory is harmless.

Just as I'm sure there's disagreement over whether or not homosexuality, miscegenation, the existence of trans people and probably even what hand people use to write with is harmless.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Diopolis wrote:In which case the disagreement is over whether or not polyamory is harmless.

Just as I'm sure there's disagreement over whether or not homosexuality, miscegenation, the existence of trans people and probably even what hand people use to write with is harmless.

So rhetorical flourishes and arc of history triumphalism in place of argument? Ok.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Diopolis wrote:

Do we oppress serial killers for who they are?
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Serrus
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Serrus » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:08 pm

*shrug*
The sooner we recognize what already exists, the sooner we can get to a better society. Poly relationships are harmless. Sure, legal marriage might be a clusterf*ck, but I'm sure we can make marriage unnecessary.
Katganistan wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:maybe japan wanted the zombie attack.

Possible. Zombies are cool now.

Eastern Raarothorgren wrote:News websites are good and reasonable soruces of information or they would not be on the internet if they were saying things that were incorrect.

This is why rules exist, kids!
Keshiland wrote:I am yes arguing that the 1st 4 are not binding to the states and yes I know that in most Republican states they would ban the freedom of religion and the freedom of essembally but I don't live there and I hate guns!

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Diopolis wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:Just as I'm sure there's disagreement over whether or not homosexuality, miscegenation, the existence of trans people and probably even what hand people use to write with is harmless.

So rhetorical flourishes and arc of history triumphalism in place of argument? Ok.

More like some people tend to claim things many people would probably consider fairly harmless cause societal harm without going much into detail about how much or how widespread said harm is or whether the amount of harm allegedly done is worth banning said things and consequently oppressing people as a result. We have a lot of things people engage in, like free speech for example, that many people see as relatively harmless, that could arguably be causing societal harm to an extent by some who don't like free speech but the cost of banning free speech and preventing people from engaging in any sort of free speech would likely not be worth the trouble.
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Traditionalism
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:Well yeah, I think that was probably what they meant but that makes sense.

Probably, but it is an assumption that has to be challenged, or else conceded.
I'd argue that the state should stay out of this sort of stuff - even if I fail to understand why anyone would bother with it.

I understand and respect your position. I don't happen to agree with it, on the basis that the state has a vested interest in encouraging monogamy and marital stability. But it is a clear and consistent position.

Fair enough. I see we have very different opinions (I'm not much of a state person as you can tell) so I'm glad we've reached some sort of conclusion here.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

And for the 3rd time, Polyamory=/=Polygamy.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Huato
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Huato » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Massachusetts was also the first state to license and recognize same-sex marriages, 11 years before it was recognized in all fifty states, so I wonder if this means that in the future we'll see polyamorous partnerships become recognized in more and more United States jurisdictions.
If that does happen, well, as the poll put it, good for them.

The Holy Mercurian Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Mercurian Empire » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:11 pm

Tell me, do you think that homosexual acts, miscegenation, and polyamory are on a moral par? If so, why?

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:12 pm

New haven america wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:for someone obsessed with facts and logic, you sure do love making non-sequiturs

And for the 3rd time, Polyamory=/=Polygamy.

... In theory, that is
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General