NATION

PASSWORD

Vladimir Putin to remain in power until 2036

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Vladimir Putin to remain in power until 2036

Postby Kargintina the Third » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/russia- ... -2036.html

Russians have overwhelmingly voted in favor of changes to the country's constitution that enable President Vladimir Putin to potentially stay in power up to 2036.

With all the votes counted, the electoral commission said Thursday morning that the final count showed 77.9% of those who voted were in favor of amendments to the constitution of Russia and 21.2% against, state news agency RIA Novosti reported. Data showed voter turnout was 65%, the commission said.

The constitutional amendments covered a raft of issues ranging from the minimum wage and pensions, to giving Putin the right to run for two more six-year terms in office. The 67-year old's current term ends in 2024.

The vote on constitutional amendments was billed as a referendum, but in reality the changes had already been passed by Russia's parliament and the public vote was seen as a move to legitimize the amendments. Putin has not yet explicitly stated that he will run for office again.

Critics of the Kremlin say the vote was neither transparent nor conducted according to usual electoral standards; ballot boxes were set in conventional polling stations but also on pavements, and in fields and parks.

Some voters — those in Moscow and the Nizhny Novgorod region — were able to vote online, and votes were cast from abroad too. A Russian cosmonaut even voted from space as he is stationed at the International Space Station. Controversially, incentives were also reportedly offered to voters, with reports of prizes being up for grabs.

Russia's electoral commission has rebuffed accusations of irregularities, however, saying on Twitter that it had received few complaints and had taken measures to prevent double voting, adding that voter lists would be checked and verified.

Opposition politician Alexei Navalny, who has heavily criticized the electoral procedure during the week-long vote, called it illegitimate. "We'll never recognize this result," Navalny told supporters in a video, Reuters reported. Navalny said on Twitter the opposition would focus its efforts on regional elections later this year in its efforts to defeat ruling party United Russia.

"The best reaction to what happened is not despair and anxiety, but the mobilization of thousands of observers this fall and the defeat of United Russia in the regional elections, where at least some procedure has remained," Navalny tweeted.

Putin gave a speech Tuesday, on the eve of the last day of voting, calling on Russians to vote, though he did not mention how the changes would amend rules to the presidential office that "reset the clock" on Putin's presidency.

Well this is certainly not good. I don’t think any leader should be in power that long. Russia is essentially a full on dictatorship at this point. However without Putin leaving office soon it brings up the question of what happens when he eventually passes away? Collapse? Civil War? And what effect will this vote have on Russia’s neighbors such as Ukraine who have been issues with Russia?
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Hrythingland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingland » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Based.
Kingdom of the Hrythingas
Hrýðingríċe
ᛒᛠᛚᚢᚳᚹᛠᛚᛘ ᚢᚾᚹᛖᚩᚱᚦᛋᚳᛁᛈᛖ ᛒᛖᚠᚩᚱᚪᚾ

SAXON NATIONALISM|WODENISM|MARTIALISM

State type: Elective Monarchy
Leader: Hrythwealda (King) Wynmar II, Earl of Ashwold,
Capital: Ingwineburgh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Holy Wodenic Rite
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services

Qassadia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Qassadia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

B A S E D

“All men are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born of weak body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory. That’s why there are wars, violence, and unrest.”Emperor Charles (VII) Von Peacecraft

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:20 pm

based
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:20 pm

Remember when he said he wasn't running for re-election in 2024?

Yeah, uh, about that...
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The state of greg
Civilian

Founded: Jun 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The state of greg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Incredibly based

Autumn Wind
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Autumn Wind » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Raise your hand if you’re surprised. Anyone? Anyone?
Your faith does not amuse me. Fundamentalism is a singularly unfunny disposition- A Rightist Puppet

In short, "fascist" is a modern word for "heretic," branding an individual worthy of excommunication from the body politic. The right uses otherwords ("reverse-racist," "feminazi," "unamerican," "communist") for similiar purposes, but these words have less elastic meanings. Fascism, however, is the gift that keeps on giving. - Jonah Goldberg, revisited.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

Atheris wrote:Remember when he said he wasn't running for re-election in 2024?

Yeah, uh, about that...

say it with me, Tsar for life

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:22 pm

It is rather disappointing that this has come to pass, but not necessarily unsurprising. Russian culture naturally leans towards strongman figures and Vladimir Putin has thus far managed to appeal to that. I would rather Russia return to political limbo and infighting, it’s much easier to push down then. Here’s hoping London grows a spine to deal with the Bear.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Yeah, uh, about that...

Technically correct. Like there will be an election in 2024.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Hrythingland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingland » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:It is rather disappointing that this has come to pass, but not necessarily unsurprising. Russian culture naturally leans towards strongman figures and Vladimir Putin has thus far managed to appeal to that. I would rather Russia return to political limbo and infighting, it’s much easier to push down then. Here’s hoping London grows a spine to deal with the Bear.

London has about as much spine as a slug.
Kingdom of the Hrythingas
Hrýðingríċe
ᛒᛠᛚᚢᚳᚹᛠᛚᛘ ᚢᚾᚹᛖᚩᚱᚦᛋᚳᛁᛈᛖ ᛒᛖᚠᚩᚱᚪᚾ

SAXON NATIONALISM|WODENISM|MARTIALISM

State type: Elective Monarchy
Leader: Hrythwealda (King) Wynmar II, Earl of Ashwold,
Capital: Ingwineburgh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Holy Wodenic Rite
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Rusozak wrote:

Yeah, uh, about that...

Well, there will be. The Russian Constitution's electoral dates weren't changed yesterday. It won't be free and fair, is what I think you were saying?
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:It is rather disappointing that this has come to pass, but not necessarily unsurprising. Russian culture naturally leans towards strongman figures and Vladimir Putin has thus far managed to appeal to that. I would rather Russia return to political limbo and infighting, it’s much easier to push down then. Here’s hoping London grows a spine to deal with the Bear.

What?
There's a reason Belorussians and Russians have turned 'Anglo' into a slur, the 'intervention' with Rasputin and Imperial politics helped in some regards. It be best if England stays a way before we have a worse outcome.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:25 pm

Hrythingland wrote:

London has about as much spine as a slug.

Hence why I wish it would grow one rather than making funny hand signals or writing a constructively critical letter. Punitive action is required here.
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

South Acren
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby South Acren » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Oh. Wonderful. Quickly internet, start making more memes about him! Hopefully they'll distract him enough to prevent a full on WW3!
Seriously, are we suprised? Putin wants power, he gets it. Its not like someone can go up against him. Remember all those defectors that died of unknown causes?
"Gott Mit Uns!"
.....begin transmission

Be not afraid. We now acknowledge your existence. You are now under protection of The Eternal Empire. We will guard you with our lives forevermore. Pray you never give us a reason to revoke it.
Imperium Aeterna, Empire Eternal

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:

What?
There's a reason Belorussians and Russians have turned 'Anglo' into a slur, the 'intervention' with Rasputin and Imperial politics helped in some regards. It be best if England stays a way before we have a worse outcome.

The weaker Russia is the better it is for what I believe to be our national interests.

| The Times |

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Can't see him holding on to power until he is 83 myself.
Last edited by An Alan Smithee Nation on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is intertwinkled

Neuer Deutsches Reich
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 21, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Neuer Deutsches Reich » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:27 pm

He can do what he wants i really don't care.

16 more wide putin years!
Economic Left/Right: -1.43
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.34

Pro: Europe - centrism - conservative - nationalism - LGBTQ’s - exploration and colonisation - life - racial and gender equality - freedom of speech - conscription - discussion

Anti: fascism - communism - AntiFa - multiculturalism - SJW - feminism - globalism - illegal immigration - pacifism - extreme religious

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:28 pm

South Acren wrote:Oh. Wonderful. Quickly internet, start making more memes about him! Hopefully they'll distract him enough to prevent a full on WW3!
Seriously, are we suprised? Putin wants power, he gets it. Its not like someone can go up against him. Remember all those defectors that died of unknown causes?

The last man who attacked him lived a half-life.
#FreeNSGRojava

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:
Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:What?

The weaker Russia is the better it is for what I believe to be our national interests.

True, if the Heartland theory holds up then it would only get worse with technological advancement. NATO hasn't done enough in Georgia and Ukraine, vital regions.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Atheris wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

Well, there will be. The Russian Constitution's electoral dates weren't changed yesterday. It won't be free and fair, is what I think you were saying?

I doubt this will be the last of moves to keep Putin in power. I'm sensing a "leader for life" referendum may come at some point.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
Britannia Maior wrote:

True, if the Heartland theory holds up then it would only get worse with technological advancement. NATO hasn't done enough in Georgia and Ukraine, vital regions.

"Heartland Theory"? I haven't heard that before.
#FreeNSGRojava

Kargintina the Third
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina the Third » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 pm

Rusozak wrote:
Atheris wrote:Well, there will be. The Russian Constitution's electoral dates weren't changed yesterday. It won't be free and fair, is what I think you were saying?

I doubt this will be the last of moves to keep Putin in power. I'm sensing a "leader for life" referendum may come at some point.

Considering his age this basically is leader for life
Representative Earl Tenson (R-MT-All)

Senate candidate Christina Mudale (R-AL)

Senator Nickolai Dernilski (D-OH)

Houston Mayor Harold Baines (D-TX)

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Atheris wrote:
Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:True, if the Heartland theory holds up then it would only get worse with technological advancement. NATO hasn't done enough in Georgia and Ukraine, vital regions.

"Heartland Theory"? I haven't heard that before.

'The Geographical Pivot of History' by Mackinder, I haven't read it but I understand some of the premise. 1904.

'Who rules East Europe commands the Heartland;
who rules the Heartland commands the World-Island;
who rules the World-Island commands the world.'

Reason why the USSR or the Russian Empire never truly acquired it's potential from resources was a lot of underdevelopment in a vast array of areas.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:37 pm

Oh wow who.. who could have seen that coming.. ha.. ha based. ah
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General