NATION

PASSWORD

Body modification

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Mortshnefran
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Body modification

Postby Mortshnefran » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:48 am

So i was trying to think of a reasonably undone topic. and i thought, with the advances being made in brain to pc interface, nano technology, and viral gene manipulation, the day might not be so far away where people can modify their bodies in any way they see fit. implants in the brain to increase processing or memory recall, manipulating genes to make you stronger, faster, age slower or to have gills(i hope). so the questions are. is this morally ok? Do there need to be legal limits? if so what?

i for one would love to have a nano immune system.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." -G. Gordon Liddy
"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it."
"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Body modification

Postby SaintB » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:52 am

When they release the Data Jack, I'll be standing in line.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:58 am

I can finally have that prehensile penis I always wanted. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Rejistania
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rejistania » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 am

SaintB wrote:When they release the Data Jack, I'll be standing in line.

I'll meet you there! I would also like to have the 'sleep' and the 'deprecate' bug fixed :)
Rejis sjiki, linux sjiki, alari sjiki, korona sjiki!
Forever united, forever free, forever in justice, forever prospering!

"Tekneluru mi'aru mi aji, il'sidekhir'ra mi, lajistas. Mi'ki'vasu kynha'het kijitax." Hank͜hila Sede, first lentine (translation: A dream is only a dream until it is reached. After that, it becomes something trivial)

Headlines from the Na~ovi Nanti: Hetkali election ended in no candidate over 2% hurdle - Syku I Jai fired as coach of Aetaila Seli, youth coach Hea I Juien takes over reins of club - Rising number of fairy penguins in Sumumusumu and neighboring islands

This person is pro-EU and proud of it! They are also a Eurofederalist and want the Federated States of Europe!

Deschenek
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Deschenek » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:17 am

Mortshnefran wrote:So i was trying to think of a reasonably undone topic. and i thought, with the advances being made in brain to pc interface, nano technology, and viral gene manipulation, the day might not be so far away where people can modify their bodies in any way they see fit. implants in the brain to increase processing or memory recall, manipulating genes to make you stronger, faster, age slower or to have gills(i hope). so the questions are. is this morally ok? Do there need to be legal limits? if so what?

i for one would love to have a nano immune system.

I`m pretty sure Micheal Jackson already did.

Oh Um get rid of sleep and blinking, imunity to poison, internet inside my brain, regeneretive implants, cardiovascular encouragement, myostatin blockers increased oxygen storage in red cells, augmentation of memory synapsises,nervous signals augmentation, darkvision, universal translator, the ability to drive my car with my brain the cybernetic augmentation of my arms to allow storage and discharge of electricity, artificial adreneline, the ability to absorb moisture and nutrients from the air, the ability to absorb oxygen from H20, the ability to sound like Vin Deisel.
Endorse Deschenek for the greater peace and goodwill torwards flies ( we`re looking into comments for extending that policy torwards humans too)

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.05

The Beautiful Darkness
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Beautiful Darkness » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 am

I thought this would be a thread about tattoos and piercings.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:31 am

Stuff from the Neuromancer. All that shit. Wants it.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:33 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I can finally have that prehensile penis I always wanted. :)

I foresee a mountain of legal troubles in your future.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:36 am

In Holland they've rolled out an augmented reality program where you can hold up your cell-phone camera and see housing prices, find directions to ATMs and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b64_16K2e08

If I could have my eyes fixed with this, with access to the entire Internet...

Soon.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Atreath
Attaché

Founded: Jul 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Atreath » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 am

A full blown cure for aging would be nice. Also enhanced regenerative abilities. I really wouldn't care about anything else.

Deschenek
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Deschenek » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:50 am

Atreath wrote:A full blown cure for aging would be nice. Also enhanced regenerative abilities. I really wouldn't care about anything else.

Aging is the bodies way of fighting infrared rays (cancers) without aging you die real quick
Endorse Deschenek for the greater peace and goodwill torwards flies ( we`re looking into comments for extending that policy torwards humans too)

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.05

The Beautiful Darkness
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The Beautiful Darkness » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 am

Deschenek wrote:
Atreath wrote:A full blown cure for aging would be nice. Also enhanced regenerative abilities. I really wouldn't care about anything else.

Aging is the bodies way of fighting infrared rays (cancers) without aging you die real quick

:blink: Source?
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:07 am

I'll take the Go Go Gadget special, please.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

The Great Lord Tiger
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Lord Tiger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:35 am

The Beautiful Darkness wrote:I thought this would be a thread about tattoos and piercings.

lol so did I...

I WAS going to tell a story about how my friend's uncle got his face TATTOOED like the Joker's facepaint in The Dark Knight and cut his lips at the corners so that his mouth was wider...

But on-topic, I plan on getting my limbs replaced by cybernetic ones, or at least my arms.
Last edited by The Great Lord Tiger on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my II/RP information:
JOLT VETERAN

Member of: League of Armed Neutrality & Inter-Galactic Security Council

Immortal Lands of the Great Lord Tiger - "Imglot" | Imglot Fleet Warning Level (IFWAL): 1|2|3|4|5
Imglot Factbook | Terrestrial Military | Stellar Military | Forces
My political compass
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.74
I just about the same as Romano Prodi, according to the international chart

Tarantum
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tarantum » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:42 am

No, thanks. If I wanted to be Borg I'd just fly my ship at a cube or something. :p
Gloria virtutis umbra.

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:51 am

hah! Would that I could ever afford it. I'd be tempted to have my brain largely replaced as quickly as conceivable with something a lot faster, and less organic. Preferably something that I could back up, but maintain a coherent link to my backup at all times. As far as beyond the brain goes, it's all rather secondary. I'm fairly happy with the fleshiness. everything I really want to improve is upstairs.
...gorgonopsids.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 am

I'm fine with it. I'd love to be a cyborg.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:07 am

Deschenek wrote:

. . . only kinda. But yah any longevity work also has to include ways to deal with pathogen and Ionizing Radiation induced genetic/cellular damage.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Biteme
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Biteme » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I can finally have that prehensile penis I always wanted. :)

Interesting ... but you don't really know what 'prehensile' means, do you? :-)

SoWiBi
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby SoWiBi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 am

Biteme wrote:

Interesting ... but you don't really know what 'prehensile' means, do you? :-)

I rather fear that you don't really know what "LG" means, do you?

As for myself, I'd welcome a few more hands, a reduced gag reflex, a way to eat much more tasty things without getting much more of a belly, I'd like some nifty extensions to my eyesight (but always switch-off-able). a better organized and updated brain could be in, too..

..SoWiBi....Oeck....ElkElks....NietzscheHeretics....Isjan....I am a False Statement..
are all expressing the above view in an indiscernible cacophony

We'll also all vanish now for a while. So long and thanks for all the fish!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 am

An upgraded brain. I want more processing power, more memory, and the ability to download information directly from my computer to my mind. 8)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:31 am

SoWiBi wrote:reduced gag reflex

Hot
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Dolbri
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolbri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:34 am

Deschenek wrote:

I'm not a medical expert, but I'm pretty sure cancer is not caused by infrared rays. Infrared rays do nothing except spread heat.

EDIT: Also, ageing is ill-defined and is most probably caused by a combination of many things.
Last edited by Dolbri on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." ~Schopenhauer
Project Gutenberg needs your help

SoWiBi
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby SoWiBi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:39 am

Neo Art wrote:
SoWiBi wrote:reduced gag reflex

Hot

You know, I even edited my post to write another thing I'd totally want.. but then realized it was about as PG-13 as my ass is metallic, and refrained.

And now a spent a felt gazillion years to figure out the new live msns messenger, only to find you're not online? Sucker.
Last edited by SoWiBi on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

..SoWiBi....Oeck....ElkElks....NietzscheHeretics....Isjan....I am a False Statement..
are all expressing the above view in an indiscernible cacophony

We'll also all vanish now for a while. So long and thanks for all the fish!

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:43 am

the same as Jake 2.0...

nano technology that allows me to be faster, stronger healing abilities and being able to remotely control any wireless device...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_2.0
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General