NATION

PASSWORD

Is CANZUK viable?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Archbishopric of York
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archbishopric of York » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Vedan 11 wrote:Would such a thing really even need a Capitol? If I'm not mistaken the CANZUK idea is just favorable immigration and trade laws between the participating nations, it's not like they are relinquishing there sovereignty to form a new country or something.

As seen in this thread, suggestions for a CANZUK union run the gamut from a simple free trade area to a federal state.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Vedan 11 wrote:Would such a thing really even need a Capitol? If I'm not mistaken the CANZUK idea is just favorable immigration and trade laws between the participating nations, it's not like they are relinquishing there sovereignty to form a new country or something.

I personally would think it would need a permanent capital. However that is due to the fact that I myself desire it in the form of an Imperial Federation federal polity. I can live with it being more like the EU, but what I want most of all from it is the economic, political and cultural counterbalance to the current and emerging superpowers.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archbishopric of York » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

I personally would think it would need a permanent capital. However that is due to the fact that I myself desire it in the form of an Imperial Federation federal polity. I can live with it being more like the EU, but what I want most of all from it is the economic, political and cultural counterbalance to the current and emerging superpowers.

CANZUK is not going to be able to provide any sort of economic and political counterbalance to the US, China, India or the EU.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:
Kazakah wrote:
Major arguments that I've heard against the US joining is:

1. The American healthcare system is functionally much different than that of CANZUK and would impede any sort of shared system
  2. America would effectively dominate most trade talks due to their massive economy
  3. US foreign policy is drastically different from the CANZUK powers

There are those arguments but there is also how much America already culturally infests the CANZUK countries. It is my belief that the UK itself is already far too Americanised, and the inclusion of the US into the CANZUK union would only further Americanise it along with Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I would never support such an idea unless the opposite becomes the case (America becoming more and more culturally British).

I sort of wish the latter would be come the case, but unfortunately it is not very likely.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Britannia Maior wrote:
There are those arguments but there is also how much America already culturally infests the CANZUK countries. It is my belief that the UK itself is already far too Americanised, and the inclusion of the US into the CANZUK union would only further Americanise it along with Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I would never support such an idea unless the opposite becomes the case (America becoming more and more culturally British).

I sort of wish the latter would be come the case, but unfortunately it is not very likely.

It isn’t unless it becomes organised, which can be done by raising new generations on British culture and values, or introducing it to others and thus subtly influencing them.
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:19 pm

The Archbishopric of York wrote:

As seen in this thread, suggestions for a CANZUK union run the gamut from a simple free trade area to a federal state.

And are we talking a federation where everyone's equal or a British Empire 2.0 hegemony kind of deal?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:23 pm

And this is the important thing to be answered.
I am not against the idea per se, but prefer Canada join a North American union instead, but it is ultimately up to Canada.

But what will this CANZUK be? A trade agreement, Visa free travel and military alliance? Or a full federation?

A free trade area is likely, although Canada is still going to stay in NAFTA/USMCA almost certainly as well.
A federation much less likely. Many problems exist, such as the English concept of “Parliamentary Sovereignty”, working out the details of who has how much power etc, countries fearing a loss of sovereignty.

The best time to have done something like this is past (although Canada was already given massive de facto sovereignty back on the mid 1800s). An Imperial federation idea been implemented sometime before 1960 maybe something of it could have held together. But that was 60 years ago.

An Imperial Federation of the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Aden, Papua New Guinea, maybe Sarawak and Sabah, plus some smaller Pacific Island nations like Fiji and such could have and probably should have been retained, but now they have move much farther apart and recreating such a thing very difficult.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Rusozak wrote:
The Archbishopric of York wrote:As seen in this thread, suggestions for a CANZUK union run the gamut from a simple free trade area to a federal state.

And are we talking a federation where everyone's equal or a British Empire 2.0 hegemony kind of deal?

Ideally the former. The latter would only cause too much resentment and aid its opponents by driving people away from CANZUK. All citizens of the CANZUK countries need to be treated equally in the eyes of the law.

| The Times |

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

CANZUK is not going to be able to provide any sort of economic and political counterbalance to the US, China, India or the EU.

True. The US and PRC economy would still massively dwarf CANZUK, and it would not be near the top of the world at all population wise, it would have a combined population less than 1/10th that of India.

It would have an economic power and population comparable to Japan, although still significant, hardly a super power.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Greed and Death wrote:Don't you all already have the commonwealth ?

CANZUK is the commonwealth without the embarassing bits, its proponents promote the shared Anglophile culture without wanting to appear racist.

On a purely economic and social basis it has merits and because of having the Commonwealth heritage could work but the optics of a whitewash arent good
Last edited by Cetacea on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

So the Commonwealth but with an army and without the brown places
So um why exclude the rest of the commonwealth
Last edited by Kubra on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:32 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Britannia Maior wrote:
Why not? London is perfectly suited as the capital and really the only one that makes sense unless we’re pulling an Australia and building an entirely new capital.

"Imperial federation" "London is perfectly suited as the capital and really the only one that makes sense"

Yeah you just want the Empire back.

So what, if it's an Empire of willing equals?

Kubra wrote:So the Commonwealth but with an army and without the brown places

Personally, I wouldn't. But CANZUK has high support among the nations in question. The only comparable nation being Jamaica, which a few years ago had over 50% support for being annexed by the united kingdom.

If an ex-colony wanted to join the Imperial federation, i'd probably support it.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Ansarre wrote:Not only is it viable, but CANZUK needs to happen NOW and with the set aim of future unification into a single federal political entity.

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES
4. Unlikely that Ireland would ever want back in, and I wouldn't try and push it on them, but they'd be welcome as a fellow English speaking nation with a similar culture.
5. CANZUK would do fine in the political alliance stage. But it should be changed post-unification into a single polity. Federal Anglosphere, Anglospheric Commonwealth, British Empire. Many possibilities!

Soiled fruit roll ups wrote: We don't have much in common with the predominantly south Asian culture of the UK

Totally unfunny.

Wouldn't adding Ireland to CANZUK be a potential solution to the Northern Irish border problem?

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archbishopric of York » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Most other Commonwealth member states don't have a similar level of social and economic development to the CANZUK countries.
Ostroeuropa wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:"Imperial federation" "London is perfectly suited as the capital and really the only one that makes sense"

Yeah you just want the Empire back.

There is no such thing.
Bienenhalde wrote:Wouldn't adding Ireland to CANZUK be a potential solution to the Northern Irish border problem?

The Republic of Ireland isn't even a member of the Commonwealth. I doubt there's any appetite in Dublin for joining a closer association of former British colonies.
Last edited by The Archbishopric of York on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Ansarre wrote:Not only is it viable, but CANZUK needs to happen NOW and with the set aim of future unification into a single federal political entity.

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES
4. Unlikely that Ireland would ever want back in, and I wouldn't try and push it on them, but they'd be welcome as a fellow English speaking nation with a similar culture.
5. CANZUK would do fine in the political alliance stage. But it should be changed post-unification into a single polity. Federal Anglosphere, Anglospheric Commonwealth, British Empire. Many possibilities!

Totally unfunny.

Wouldn't adding Ireland to CANZUK be a potential solution to the Northern Irish border problem?

It would, if Ireland wanted any part of it. Which is not the case.

Ireland being staunchly republican, EU, demilitarized and neoliberal means no Ireland.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm

I see no reason to exclude non-white countries in the Commonwealth, but the real question is whether or not they would want to join.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Well besides racial, cultural, social and economic disparity issues, assuming any sort of fair representation on population has the problem of India having a bigger population than all the rest COMBINED.

It basically becomes mega India.

Also many countries of the Commonwealth have radically different economic, trade and foreign policy priorities, as well as political systems.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Kazakah
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kazakah » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

I'm personally not in favour of an EU-esque federation. What I want is a free trade and free travel zone. No Brit Empire 2.0 for me, the EU showed me that such a political alliance is not worth it. I'd simply prefer an agreement where us friendly nations trade and work with each other.
✸ THE EMPIRE OF KAZAKAH ✸
Ulhadyy Kazakah!

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:28 pm

I'd like to see this, and maybe even have the US as part of it. Get some common space travel funding going on!
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Most other Commonwealth member states don't have a similar level of social and economic development to the CANZUK countries.
Ostroeuropa wrote:

There is no such thing.
Bienenhalde wrote:Wouldn't adding Ireland to CANZUK be a potential solution to the Northern Irish border problem?

The Republic of Ireland isn't even a member of the Commonwealth. I doubt there's any appetite in Dublin for joining a closer association of former British colonies.
sure but a military alliance without India is the Allies without the soviets.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Novus America wrote:

Well besides racial, cultural, social and economic disparity issues, assuming any sort of fair representation on population has the problem of India having a bigger population than all the rest COMBINED.

Also many countries of the Commonwealth have radically different economic, trade and foreign policy priorities, as well as political systems.
I fail to see the problem with mega India, at least from a meme perspective.
Comrade J. Posadas

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Kubra wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I fail to see the problem with mega India, at least from a meme perspective.

Make the Indian Empire great again?

While entertaining an idea, obviously from any realistic perspective I doubt the UK would be interested in becoming basically a state of India.

Although a military alliance or military cooperation agreement of between the Five Eyes, India and Japan is definitely possible. Maybe along with some sort of trade agreement covering all 7.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Are the common economic and political interests of the possible member-states really strong enough to necessitate a somekind of union? EU, ASEAN, its members are nations with strong trade and geographical links and will be benefited greatly if they can coordinate international relations together, strengthening their collective bargaining power. If there isn't really that much benefit, it'll just be another Commonwealth (which I don't really how important are they, but it clearly doesn't seem too influental).

Novus America wrote:
Kubra wrote: I fail to see the problem with mega India, at least from a meme perspective.

Make the Indian Empire great again?

While entertaining an idea, obviously from any realistic perspective I doubt the UK would be interested in becoming basically a state of India.

Although a military alliance or military cooperation agreement of between the Five Eyes, India and Japan is definitely possible. Maybe along with some sort of trade agreement covering all 7.

At this point this proposed union should just be an expansion of G7 and include the rest of strong democratic states like Japan, Australia, India, and South Korea. A.k.a. the "Anti-China Alliance". Though Germany and France would probably wanna stick closer to the EU, while I dunno if those country wants the US in.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Better thread title:
CAN CANZUK work? Or would it ZUK?
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:Better thread title:
CAN CANZUK work? Or would it ZUK?

I think the topic has shifted slightly since then.

I don't think we're in CANZUK anymore.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General