NATION

PASSWORD

World War Tea

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

World War Tea

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Right..

Nearly 250 years after the Boston Tea Party, the British ambassador in Washington and her US counterpart in London are going at it over how to make a decent hot drink. And by Wednesday evening, the conflict was spilling over into mainland Europe.

Bloody 2020, can it get any worse..

Like many tense diplomatic standoffs, it began with a deliberate provocation. An American TikTok user going by the name of Michelle from North Carolina posted a video showing how to make what she describes as “hot tea”, which entails mixing milk with powdered lemonade, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and Tang, which turns out to be a soft drink.

Tang? What devilry is this?

As an afterthought she dunked a teabag, and then put the whole thing in the microwave.

Microwave, what is wrong with you people?

Her subsequent attempt at “British tea” involved cold water first. The British internet lost its marbles.

Jesus wept. I actually saw this video, she bunged it all in the microwave as usual and it.. was.. fucked.. up..

Inevitably, Dame Karen Pierce, the British ambassador to Washington – who holds an MSc in international strategy and diplomacy from the LSE, has served in the Foreign Office for 39 years and is a former president of the UN security council - was obliged to weigh in.

She posted a viral video of her own on Monday, explaining that “the Anglo-American relationship is defined by tea”, a reference to the Boston Tea Party of 1773 that eventually led to US independence.

Then, in what Twitter banter enthusiasts viewed as a thrilling escalation, she threw to three branches of the armed forces, who took it in turns to demonstrate how to make what one Royal Navy sailor called a “proper British cup of tea”.

Nice little coded threat of force there Ambassador, you spoil us..

The US ambassador in London, Woody Johnson, who recognised the impossibility of his position on the tea front and quickly shifted his forces to a classic British weakness: coffee.

“I’m going to make an American cup of coffee, the way I make it every day, responding to Ambassador Pierce’s perfect cup of tea and her instructions,”.

Okay..

He proceeded to pour a bottle of water into a kettle, stick a spoon of instant coffee in a mug, splash in some milk and say “have a nice day”.

WTF.. hear that Italians.. that's proper coffee.

But there may now be questions as to whether he had committed a serious strategic error, by making, to put it bluntly, what looked like a terrible cup of coffee. On Wednesday evening, a source at the Italian embassy asked for a view on the US video replied: “What he made was American coffee. And I stress... American coffee.”

We don't screw around with, like, hotdogs Americans so why are you so adamant in screwing up our tea, was Boston not enough, what is wrong with you people? When did you lose all sense of values by using a microwave to make tea for god's sake?

However, otherwise, what is you favourite tea - since WFH I've been gazzumping gallons of good old Breakfast Tea where I substitute sugar with a drop or two of honey. Here in HK iced lemon tea is very popular too. When I lived in India I did love those big pots of masala chai.

What about you, please indicate if you're American and therefore we can dismiss your opinion off the bat.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:44 pm

As a southeast Asian who drinks 2-3 cups of tea in a beer glass each day I feel sad to see all tea thrown around like it is useless in the Americas

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Bombadil wrote:Right..

Nearly 250 years after the Boston Tea Party, the British ambassador in Washington and her US counterpart in London are going at it over how to make a decent hot drink. And by Wednesday evening, the conflict was spilling over into mainland Europe.

Like many tense diplomatic standoffs, it began with a deliberate provocation. An American TikTok user going by the name of Michelle from North Carolina posted a video showing how to make what she describes as “hot tea”, which entails mixing milk with powdered lemonade, cinnamon, cloves, sugar and Tang, which turns out to be a soft drink.

As an afterthought she dunked a teabag, and then put the whole thing in the microwave.

Her subsequent attempt at “British tea” involved cold water first. The British internet lost its marbles.

Jesus wept. I actually saw this video, she bunged it all in the microwave as usual and it.. was.. fucked.. up..

Inevitably, Dame Karen Pierce, the British ambassador to Washington – who holds an MSc in international strategy and diplomacy from the LSE, has served in the Foreign Office for 39 years and is a former president of the UN security council - was obliged to weigh in.

She posted a viral video of her own on Monday, explaining that “the Anglo-American relationship is defined by tea”, a reference to the Boston Tea Party of 1773 that eventually led to US independence.

Then, in what Twitter banter enthusiasts viewed as a thrilling escalation, she threw to three branches of the armed forces, who took it in turns to demonstrate how to make what one Royal Navy sailor called a “proper British cup of tea”.

The US ambassador in London, Woody Johnson, who recognised the impossibility of his position on the tea front and quickly shifted his forces to a classic British weakness: coffee.

“I’m going to make an American cup of coffee, the way I make it every day, responding to Ambassador Pierce’s perfect cup of tea and her instructions,”.

Okay..

He proceeded to pour a bottle of water into a kettle, stick a spoon of instant coffee in a mug, splash in some milk and say “have a nice day”.

But there may now be questions as to whether he had committed a serious strategic error, by making, to put it bluntly, what looked like a terrible cup of coffee. On Wednesday evening, a source at the Italian embassy asked for a view on the US video replied: “What he made was American coffee. And I stress... American coffee.”

We don't screw around with, like, hotdogs Americans so why are you so adamant in screwing up our tea, was Boston not enough, what is wrong with you people? When did you lose all sense of values by using a microwave to make tea for god's sake?

However, otherwise, what is you favourite tea - since WFH I've been gazzumping gallons of good old Breakfast Tea where I substitute sugar with a drop or two of honey. Here in HK iced lemon tea is very popular too. When I lived in India I did love those big pots of masala chai.

What about you, please indicate if you're American and therefore we can dismiss your opinion off the bat.

I won't even talk about Tang. All these youngsters only know how to make tea with teabags I actually make it by boiling water then once it's hot I just add sugar and the grounded tea leaves but sometimes I add milk

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Somerania wrote:I won't even talk about Tang. All these youngsters only know how to make tea with teabags I actually make it by boiling water then once it's hot I just add sugar and the grounded tea leaves but sometimes I add milk

When in office I drank a mixture of simple green tea, and then a ginger and honey tea, both without anything else, at home I've switched for no real reason I can discern other than tea was free in the office.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Milk.
In tea.

I daresay that is a bigger sin than putting it in the microwave.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Somerania wrote:I won't even talk about Tang. All these youngsters only know how to make tea with teabags I actually make it by boiling water then once it's hot I just add sugar and the grounded tea leaves but sometimes I add milk

When in office I drank a mixture of simple green tea, and then a ginger and honey tea, both without anything else, at home I've switched for no real reason I can discern other than tea was free in the office.

Ginger and honey are very soothing to the throat, I once made milk/spice tea and I have to say it was amazing

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Just drink coffee like normal people.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Coffee and tea are both nasty in my opinion, so I guess I should declare neutrality or something.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Greed and Death wrote:Just drink coffee like American people.

Fixed it

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 pm

Bombadil wrote:Right..

Okay..

"Michelle"? Trump got his wife's name wrong again?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 pm

When I make literal tea, I use an electric kettle, I don't know if the British are cool with that or have some irrational nostalgic attachment to putting old style kettles on stoves, but I agree that microwaving the tea water is stupid if only for the fact that it makes the cup too hot to hold.

I also like to make herbal tea out of certain psychoactive plants, although it is not really tea despite me calling it so, it's really a decoction that involves boiling water with the plant matter inside and then later filtering the liquid through a cloth. Depending on the plant you're using, lemon juice is often an important secret ingredient as the citric acid helps make the decoction more powerful and taste better.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Wait? So milk in tea is just an American thing?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Page wrote:When I make literal tea, I use an electric kettle, I don't know if the British are cool with that or have some irrational nostalgic attachment to putting old style kettles on stoves, but I agree that microwaving the tea water is stupid if only for the fact that it makes the cup too hot to hold.

I also like to make herbal tea out of certain psychoactive plants, although it is not really tea despite me calling it so, it's really a decoction that involves boiling water with the plant matter inside and then later filtering the liquid through a cloth. Depending on the plant you're using, lemon juice is often an important secret ingredient as the citric acid helps make the decoction more powerful and taste better.

Kettle's are cool.

I lived in Germany of a summer and of a dawn we'd head into the forest to find 'mushrooms', and then brew them in tea for an afternoon and evening of fun and merriment.

十年

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Rusozak wrote:Wait? So milk in tea is just an American thing?

British. People claim it was to cool the cup to prevent it from breaking.
In reality it is just an insult to tea.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Page wrote:When I make literal tea, I use an electric kettle, I don't know if the British are cool with that or have some irrational nostalgic attachment to putting old style kettles on stoves, but I agree that microwaving the tea water is stupid if only for the fact that it makes the cup too hot to hold.

Kettle's are cool.

I lived in Germany of a summer and of a dawn we'd head into the forest to find 'mushrooms', and then brew them in tea for an afternoon and evening of fun and merriment.

"... mushrooms ... fun and merriment ..."

Uh huh.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm not sure even tea is an American thing given their history with it and continued abuse of it.

Farnhamia wrote:"... mushrooms ... fun and merriment ..."

Uh huh.

They especially like to grow next to cowpats.. the things we do when young..

The Alma Mater wrote:

British. People claim it was to cool the cup to prevent it from breaking.

Very much depends on the tea, I certainly add to English Breakfast Tea but wouldn't to, say, Earl Grey.

十年

New Bremerton
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bremerton » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 pm

Earl Grey is my favorite English tea, I think. I normally drink it at hotels. Cameron Highlands is famous for its BOH tea as well as its temperate climate. I don't know what the British think of iced milk tea. HK's iced lemon tea is typically of a far higher quality than its Malaysian counterpart. Here in Malaysia, we also have teh tarik (pulled tea), which is basically just ordinary Malaysian milk tea with lots of bubbles and a whole lot more expensive.

I'm pretty sure I add milk to my tea.
Last edited by New Bremerton on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIBERA TE TUTEMET EX INFERIS (Liberate yourself from hell)
Alt of Glorious Hong Kong

Pangurstan
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Pangurstan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:38 pm

The Boston tea party was the ultimate display of Americans' love for tea. We love tea so much, we brewed an entire harbor of it.
among us

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of a dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:38 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Coffee and tea are both nasty in my opinion, so I guess I should declare neutrality or something.
not all tea and coffee is bad

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:40 pm

Why are we fighting over tea?

Oh yeah 2020

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:45 pm

Bombadil wrote:Tang? What devilry is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guk

Sorry Brits, you'll have to fight alone. You brexited, and we're already busy spitting on the "hawaiian" pizzas American tourists order over here, and enriching with bogies every cappuccino ordered after 11 o'clock. (Yeah, we don't do that am/pm thingy).

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:46 pm

Bombadil wrote:

I'm not sure even tea is an American thing given their history with it and continued abuse of it.

Farnhamia wrote:"... mushrooms ... fun and merriment ..."

Uh huh.

They especially like to grow next to cowpats.. the things we do when young..

The Alma Mater wrote:British. People claim it was to cool the cup to prevent it from breaking.

Very much depends on the tea, I certainly add to English Breakfast Tea but wouldn't to, say, Earl Grey.

Everybody drinks milk tea

lemon isn't really a secret ingredient many people drink it, I recently drank a lemongrass flavored teabag and the Aroma was lemony but the drink only had a hint of lemon the only other flavor was green tea, I also had some Tulsi teabags (Holy Basil) the Aroma and taste can be a bit better but it grows on you
I had jasmine, ginger, green, black, lemongrass and Tulsi flavored teabags so far Jasmine is the best one (these aren't Earl grey or Yorkshire it's a local tea manufacturer)

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015

Postby Rusozak » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 pm

Risottia wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Tang? What devilry is this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guk

So they're not talking about orange powdered drink mix?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Somerania
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Somerania » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:50 pm

Rusozak wrote:

So they're not talking about orange powdered drink mix?

Lmao? Fun fact in my country you can buy powdered milk packets for your tea
Last edited by Somerania on Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 pm

I tend to like different chai teas, as well as cardamom milk tea.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General