NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Snail Riders, Charge!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:32 pm

West Kronisia wrote:Feeling a bit uneasy on Marvel's acquirement of Alien and Predator franchises. Hope we don't get the same damn basic plot movie every year out of those franchises, though i'm also of the mind that even that might end up being an improvement on the last two movies, at least in the mainstream viewers' minds.

The franchise is in dire need of revitalization

But Marvel? Is this the right group for this?

Still looking forward to Scott’a third Alien prequel movie

Wonder when that’s gonna happen now
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:38 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Immoren wrote:I started Finnish course on Duolingo for lulz for a moment and now it won't quit threatening me over e-mail.

Duolingo is still emailing me about my English course that I gave up four years ago. I think my English is good enough, but Duolingo just doesn't agree.

They want your money? :)

West Kronisia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby West Kronisia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
West Kronisia wrote:Feeling a bit uneasy on Marvel's acquirement of Alien and Predator franchises. Hope we don't get the same damn basic plot movie every year out of those franchises, though i'm also of the mind that even that might end up being an improvement on the last two movies, at least in the mainstream viewers' minds.

I agree entirely, it needs a revitalization, but i don't think taking it to "Generic Action Movie: The Film Studio" is necessarily what i'd like to see. Sure, it'll be all good by the marvel crowd but there's some of us out there that want something more than the same 6 conventionally attractive people make terrible quips between poorly filmed fight scenes.

If they can do it well, I will eat my words, but if they throw the horror out in favour of just more action, I will be truly disappointed.
Call me Kro - It's my name pretty much anywhere else on the internet.

I'm a big history nerd and enjoyer of video games. Always willing to listen if someone needs a friend!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Duolingo is still emailing me about my English course that I gave up four years ago. I think my English is good enough, but Duolingo just doesn't agree.

They want your money? :)

They never got my money, so I hope not. :p

Edit: Also, for people who know Christian media, should I watch War Room or I'm Not Ashamed? I can't decide, as both of them have fairly dark themes.
Last edited by Geneviev on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:51 pm

West Kronisia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I agree entirely, it needs a revitalization, but i don't think taking it to "Generic Action Movie: The Film Studio" is necessarily what i'd like to see. Sure, it'll be all good by the marvel crowd but there's some of us out there that want something more than the same 6 conventionally attractive people make terrible quips between poorly filmed fight scenes.

If they can do it well, I will eat my words, but if they throw the horror out in favour of just more action, I will be truly disappointed.

I really hope Marvel doesn't screw up Alien.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Ugh, I'm currently editing my short story and IDK what it is, but something about it seems off. Like there's a major plot hole somewhere but I just can't find it. Or it could be a pacing issue. It's just that something seems weird about it.
Last edited by Xmara on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Xmara wrote:Ugh, I'm currently editing my short story and IDK what it is, but something about it seems off. Like there's a major plot hole somewhere but I just can't find it. Or it could be a pacing issue. It's just that something seems weird about it.

Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Xmara wrote:Ugh, I'm currently editing my short story and IDK what it is, but something about it seems off. Like there's a major plot hole somewhere but I just can't find it. Or it could be a pacing issue. It's just that something seems weird about it.

Thanks, I'll be sure to slather the pages in it :lol2:
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:52 pm

West Kronisia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I’m still getting a touch of trauma from the Predator remake

It was just too casual and upbeat; and there was a... a bit of a Transformer vibe... to it (didn’t mesh well)

Not my cup of tea

I really hope they handle the franchise carefully. They should stick to the sorts of themes and atmospheres that made the originals such successes.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 pm

The advice I generally read is to place your story in a drawer for two to three days (or a week, a month is better, longer if you have it) so you can return to it with fresh eyes and the flaws easier.

If there's a pacing issue, maybe it could use a subplot or a more complicated opening dilemma?
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:

The advice I generally read is to place your story in a drawer for two to three days (or a week, a month is better, longer if you have it) so you can return to it with fresh eyes and the flaws easier.

If there's a pacing issue, maybe it could use a subplot or a more complicated opening dilemma?

Idk about a subplot. It’s only a short story. But I’ll take a break and revisit it in a few days. Thanks.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:04 pm

I had the first meeting with the newest prayer group today, and I think that I successfully proved to myself that I'm not a coward, but I am careless.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 pm

Geneviev wrote:I had the first meeting with the newest prayer group today, and I think that I successfully proved to myself that I'm not a coward, but I am careless.

How did it go?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I had the first meeting with the newest prayer group today, and I think that I successfully proved to myself that I'm not a coward, but I am careless.

How did it go?

I decided to argue with some of the things that were being said, and received suggestions for new clothes. It was interesting. :p

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm

One way to check for major plot holes is to re-imagine the actions and decisions and outcomes in the piece from the limited POV of all characters one by one. What did it look like from each and every character? Did it all add up from those limited points of views?

If there’s still a plot hole you miss using that way, then it’s more of a mechanical and less characte-driven gap
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 pm

So after smashing my brother's car window last month, we had more misfortune when we were out tonight and accidentally ran over a racoon.

I know we hit that fool. Great, I don't even wanna look at the tire.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:So after smashing my brother's car window last month, we had more misfortune when we were out tonight and accidentally ran over a racoon.

The poor raccoon. :(

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
How did it go?

I decided to argue with some of the things that were being said, and received suggestions for new clothes. It was interesting. :p

Hmmmm

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:So after smashing my brother's car window last month, we had more misfortune when we were out tonight and accidentally ran over a racoon.

The poor raccoon. :(

I wonder what happens to raccoons after they die

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:23 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Geneviev wrote:The poor raccoon. :(

I wonder what happens to raccoons after they die

I'd assume that it's the same that happens to other animals and they go to heaven.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:29 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
How did it go?

So, you were saying that the pre-existent Son of God was directly created by the Father, before all ages, and that he was subordinate to God the Father and they answered, "That blouse is not really a good color for you, dear. And those jeans, tsk, all torn."
Last edited by Farnhamia on Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:I decided to argue with some of the things that were being said, and received suggestions for new clothes. It was interesting. :p

So, you were saying that the pre-existent Son of God was directly created by the Father, before all ages, and that he was subordinate to God the Father and they answered, "That blouse is not really a good color for you, dear. And those jeans, tsk, all torn."

That's weirdly accurate. Although they were more concerned that I should maybe wear longer dresses, and apparently blue really isn't my color.

Still, it was a very strange exchange.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So, you were saying that the pre-existent Son of God was directly created by the Father, before all ages, and that he was subordinate to God the Father and they answered, "That blouse is not really a good color for you, dear. And those jeans, tsk, all torn."

That's weirdly accurate. Although they were more concerned that I should maybe wear longer dresses, and apparently blue really isn't my color.

Next time, go head to toe in navy, and blasting Der Hölle Rache. :p
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Xmara
Negotiator

Postby Xmara » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So, you were saying that the pre-existent Son of God was directly created by the Father, before all ages, and that he was subordinate to God the Father and they answered, "That blouse is not really a good color for you, dear. And those jeans, tsk, all torn."

Longer dresses? Really?
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
We are not Estonia.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Geneviev wrote:

Sounds like it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General