NATION

PASSWORD

Race, or Gender - What Metric Drives Police Brutality?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Rugged Ruggedists wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
So what? If the "vast majority" of police killings were justified, those shouldn't be included when looking for racial bias in unjustified killings.

Furthermore "posing a threat to officers" is what the officers would obviously say, whether the person was armed or not. Just the fact that they were armed should not justify them being killed. How would you square that with the 2nd amendment?

Shootings have to be investigated before being deemed justified or not. You do realize this, right? They aren't going on the cop's word alone.

You've read the study then, and you know something I don't. Apparently all these brutal cops wore body cams ...
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Rugged Ruggedists wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
You've read the study then, and you know something I don't. Apparently all these brutal cops wore body cams ...

Police departments have been pushing pretty heavily for body scams. It's typically the anti-police crowd who are opposed to them.

Why on earth would they do that? Sounds like total bullshit to me.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Rugged Ruggedists wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Why on earth would they do that? Sounds like total bullshit to me.

Ask them.

That doesn't prove anything about what the "anti-police crowd" want.

I'm not going any further down your rabbit hole. Let's get back to the topic ... or you could take it to the Protests and Riots thread.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Yeah, that could be the largest factor in how badly someone will be brutalized, although the other two contribute to it.

It might not be "class" so much on if the person is wearing cheap looking clothing, etc. If the person looks poor, regardless of if they are poor, they may face more violence.

Everyone saying "class" should pay attention to your post. How the person is dressed (or the car they're driving) gives the cop a strong first impression of the person's class. Just by dressing "above" their class a person could avoid having to interact with police at all.

But that might backfire. If the cop has some other reason to interact with them, like observing a driving infringement or being called out to their house, the first impression will be the car or the house. And then, speaking with the person, the cop will "class" them in more detail. If they're coming across as working class but they're dressed in a suit and tie, just the incongruity of that will seem suspicious to the cop.

How they dress is still a very important factor, but there's a bunch of other factors which go into ascribing class to a person.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 pm

If theater's taught me anything, it's stealing a loaf of bread and breaking a window pane, and breaking your parole.
Last edited by Atheris on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Mirjt wrote:What drives police brutality is the fact police exists at all. Police only defend capital and harm all others (police are a part of the capitalist system). While everyone is endangered by the police, the police often target those with the least power and who deviate from the norm that the people have been brainwashed into accepting (in the U.S.'s case cishet, white, able-bodied, protestant Christian, men).

Men tend to be targeted more.

It's worth note that white able bodied women are targeted the absolute least.

Maybe that's who has the most power that the people have been brainwashed into accepting.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Rugged Ruggedists wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-police-race/more-racial-diversity-in-us-police-departments-unlikely-to-reduce-shootings-study-idUSKCN1UI017

Crime.

"In the vast majority of cases, the person killed was armed and posed a threat or had opened fire on officers, Cesario said.

“We find no evidence of anti-Black or anti-Hispanic disparities across shootings, and White officers are not more likely to shoot minority civilians than non-White officers,” the authors wrote.

Instead, the authors found variances between local crime rates played a key role in predicting who was most likely to be killed by police.

In areas with high rates of violent crime by blacks, police were more than three times more likely to shoot dead a black person than a white person, the study found."

So what? If the "vast majority" of police killings were justified, those shouldn't be included when looking for racial bias in unjustified killings.

Furthermore "posing a threat to officers" is what the officers would obviously say, whether the person was armed or not. Just the fact that they were armed should not justify them being killed. How would you square that with the 2nd amendment?

No police killings are ever justified.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:38 pm

Mirjt wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I work with what I've got, and it seems to be an assumption made by "researchers at Michigan State University and the University of Maryland at College Park" that shootings are justified when the police say they're justified.

The findings are just about useless if police lying about them is taken into account. But I'd have to read it: Reuters only reports news, and null hypotheses aren't news.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Mirjt wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Even if it threatens the officers or innocent people in the line of fire?

Sure, *some* police killings aren't justified, but I'd hardly say that the death of someone who murders someone and goes on to target civilians and the police isn't justified.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Atheris wrote:
Mirjt wrote:

Sure, *some* police killings aren't justified, but I'd hardly say that the death of someone who murders someone and goes on to target civilians and the police isn't justified.

I am in favor of police abolition, however even if I wasn't, it is the police officer's job to put themselves in the line of fire to protect others (including aggressors, whose lives have just as much value). The police are suppose to do what they can to incapacitate aggressors without killing them, even if that means the police officer getting injured or dying, and only kill as the absolute last resort to an immediate threat and only after doing 4 or 6 or 10 other tactics first. If someone is unwilling to risk death (not saying they should expect to die, just realize it is a real possibility) then they should not be police officer and should not get a police paycheck. I consider a actual justified police killing to be so rare to be statistically impossible more than once or twice a year, otherwise the killing was unjustified, and I think there is a good argument to be made that killing is always unjustified no matter the circumstances.

P.S. I have always been against the death penalty. I became in favor of police and prison reform in 2010. I became in favor of banning lifetime incarceration and sentences longer than 20 years in 2015. I became aware of the police and prison abolition movement in 2016. I became in favor of total police and prison and penal abolition in 2018-2019. I was really excited about the protests in mid 2020 because I was hoping it would lead to greater acceptance of police and prison abolition, but I am uncertain of the result and am fearful I won't get the change I want.
Last edited by Mirjt on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Atheris wrote:
Mirjt wrote:

Rampage killings like that are extremely rare. Given how rarely police are present at a regular murder, it really stretches credulity to think that police killings stopped a great number of rampage killings.

I don't think police even use that "protection of other lives" explanation very often. Shootings are almost always justified as protecting their OWN lives. Which is fair enough, sometimes they genuinely have to do that. But I'd like there to always be a working camera per officer, because we simply can't take their word for it that they shot in self-defense.

Or even that the suspect was armed. Cops lie about that too.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General