NATION

PASSWORD

Should Charges for Animal Cruelty be Tougher?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:
Some prisons do rehabilitate.
Look at Norway or Sweden.

I would put them in jail and give them mental healthcare

If you jail them now, in countries like Canada or the USA, it doesn't matter how much mental healthcare you give them. The memories of getting raped and beaten in jail are going to haunt them the rest of their lives in ways no therapy could hope to overcome.

You dream of a hypothetical world where Canadian and American prisons could be as humane as Norway's? Great, when you get there, you let me know. In the meantime, use prison only on those whose need to be made examples of to strike fear into the hearts of criminals outweigh any value in "rehabilitating" them.

And for a moment there I thought you were agreeing with my reasonable schedule for dealing with animal abusers -- but no, it's the same fear and punishment, not rehabilitation, that you're always pushing.

You also make the baseless assumption that all prisons are supermaxes where the worst of the worst are kept. They do actually differentiate between types of crimes and put people into different levels of security accordingly.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:31 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:
Some prisons do rehabilitate.
Look at Norway or Sweden.

I would put them in jail and give them mental healthcare

If you jail them now, in countries like Canada or the USA, it doesn't matter how much mental healthcare you give them. The memories of getting raped and beaten in jail are going to haunt them the rest of their lives in ways no therapy could hope to overcome.

You dream of a hypothetical world where Canadian and American prisons could be as humane as Norway's? Great, when you get there, you let me know. In the meantime, use prison only on those whose need to be made examples of to strike fear into the hearts of criminals outweigh any value in "rehabilitating" them.

statistics showing most prisoners get raped?
In the UK that isn't true but I know America has higher rates of that kind of thing both in prison and outside.
Also UK prisoners are over-crowded but less so.

Also why would they re-offend because of violence at the hands of other inmates that the system actually tries to protect them from
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:40 am

Katganistan wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:If you jail them now, in countries like Canada or the USA, it doesn't matter how much mental healthcare you give them. The memories of getting raped and beaten in jail are going to haunt them the rest of their lives in ways no therapy could hope to overcome.

And for a moment there I thought you were agreeing with my reasonable schedule for dealing with animal abusers -- but no, it's the same fear and punishment, not rehabilitation, that you're always pushing.

You also make the baseless assumption that all prisons are supermaxes where the worst of the worst are kept. They do actually differentiate between types of crimes and put people into different levels of security accordingly.

Well said. I visited a friend in a low security prison: there were scary looking dudes walking around and my friend had himself become quite scary (from working out) but he told me he'd only seen one fight (over some stolen property) and after six months in there, he hadn't himself been involved in a single fight. There was a two metre fence around the prison, which looked easy to climb, but what really kept the prisoners in was the knowledge that escaping would land them in a worse prison. Well also it was in a fairly remote location so escaping would quite likely result in being caught again.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:52 am

For adults, certainly. If it's an animal in their care or wildlife an adult should certainly know better and should serve hard time for causing an animal unnecessary pain or death. Children and even teenagers, I'm not so sure. Kids are generally some kind of crazy anyway and it's not something that should follow them around if they become decent adults. For them, I would suggest therapy to nip anything that could be dangerous before it can carry into adulthood.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Previous

Return to General