NATION

PASSWORD

Transgender health protections rolled back in the States

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Don't need a reason. "I don't want to" is all that's required.

And we're back to selfish disregard for professional ethics.

Your ethics. As I said, your ethics are irrelevant to my business. Just a couple days ago I had a doctor tell me there was nothing he could do for my knee pain. Did I throw a tantrum and sue? No. I made an appt with someone else.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 am

-Astoria wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Again, extremely rare circumstances. If It's a sparsely populated forest then I doubt a doctor just happens to be around.

Again, this is a scenario; it's possible it can happen to any one of us here.

Do you understand that?

Again, do you understand what the word rare means? Anyone of us here could win the lottery. But I'm not holding my breath.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:53 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Then again you still haven't given a real reason for discriminating in the first place beyond "muh frees".

Don't need a reason. "I don't want to" is all that's required.

If I understand correctly, you won't actually be a medical doctor until you've served an internship.
You will have a boss, who can order you to treat patients.
At least for that time "I don't want to" will not work for you.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:54 am

Vassenor wrote:
And we're back to selfish disregard for professional ethics.

Your ethics. As I said, your ethics are irrelevant to my business. Just a couple days ago I had a doctor tell me there was nothing he could do for my knee pain. Did I throw a tantrum and sue? No. I made an appt with someone else.

The ethics of your profession.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:56 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Don't need a reason. "I don't want to" is all that's required.

If I understand correctly, you won't actually be a medical doctor until you've served an internship.
You will have a boss, who can order you to treat patients.
At least for that time "I don't want to" will not work for you.

A seven year residency, although only part of that will be spent treating patients. It's a temporary sacrifice though.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:56 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Your ethics. As I said, your ethics are irrelevant to my business. Just a couple days ago I had a doctor tell me there was nothing he could do for my knee pain. Did I throw a tantrum and sue? No. I made an appt with someone else.

Apparently not. Since doctors refuse to treat people all the time.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:57 am

Vassenor wrote:

Apparently not. Since doctors refuse to treat people all the time.

Based on what factors?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:58 am

Vassenor wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Apparently not. Since doctors refuse to treat people all the time.

Based on what factors?

The ones I've already mentioned. And plenty of others. Are you okay with a doctor refusing to see patients who take suboxone? (If you don't know, It's used to treat addiction to narcotics.)
Last edited by The Republic of Fore on Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:00 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:Yeah, I would. Russia and China wouldn't declare war on us. And the armed forces of the vast majority of other nations are a useless joke compared to ours. Try and enforce your worthless convention. We have nukes.

So now we're going straight into exceptionalism & military peepee-measuring, are we?

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:Again, do you understand what the word rare means? Anyone of us here could win the lottery. But I'm not holding my breath.

And again, do you understand that while it may be rare, it does not mean that it cannot happen?

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:01 am

-Astoria wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Yeah, I would. Russia and China wouldn't declare war on us. And the armed forces of the vast majority of other nations are a useless joke compared to ours. Try and enforce your worthless convention. We have nukes.

So now we're going straight into exceptionalism & military peepee-measuring, are we?

It's just stating a fact. Disney has a larger navy than most of the rest of the world. And the world's second largest air force is the US navy.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:03 am

-Astoria wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:Again, do you understand what the word rare means? Anyone of us here could win the lottery. But I'm not holding my breath.

And again, do you understand that while it may be rare, it does not mean that it cannot happen?

I'm not saying it can't happen. But I'm not worried about things that are rare. Do you spend every day of your life fearing that you'll be eaten by a komodo dragon? That can happen.

-Astoria
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:09 am

The Republic of Fore wrote:It's just stating a fact. Disney has a larger navy than most of the rest of the world. And the world's second largest air force is the US navy.

Not exactly; and also, it was the language used that I was calling 'peepee-measuring'.
The Republic of Fore wrote:I'm not saying it can't happen. But I'm not worried about things that are rare. Do you spend every day of your life fearing that you'll be eaten by a komodo dragon? That can happen.

AFAIK, getting seriously injured in a sparsely-populated place is much more likely to happen than getting killed by a specific animal, which can only be found on a specific island.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:13 am

-Astoria wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:It's just stating a fact. Disney has a larger navy than most of the rest of the world. And the world's second largest air force is the US navy.

Not exactly; and also, it was the language used that I was calling 'peepee-measuring'.
The Republic of Fore wrote:I'm not saying it can't happen. But I'm not worried about things that are rare. Do you spend every day of your life fearing that you'll be eaten by a komodo dragon? That can happen.

AFAIK, getting seriously injured in a sparsely-populated place is much more likely to happen than getting killed by a specific animal, which can only be found on a specific island.

1. Whoops, okay point.
2. Funny enough, there was a severe injury by a dragon on us soil. Sharon Stone's ex husband nearly lost his foot to one. But I just threw out the first example that came to mind.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:38 am

Galloism wrote:It’s fairly likely that 1/100 men are supporting their rapist, either via direct support (IE, they live with them) or via child support. It’s hard to say how many are explicit child support, although it’s probably not a small number.

It’s important for you to understand men and women are raped at about the same rate, and almost half of each group is raped by their intimate partner. For the type of rape that can cause pregnancy, that’s 1.7 million men. Per year, mind you. The notion that 1.7 million rapes per year causes a negligible number of rape babies is laughable.

And it is established law that male victims of rape must support the child (and by extension their rapist) regardless. It’s the exception to not have to, not the rule.

I dunno about 1/100, but in 2019, 235 black people were killed by police, out of a population of around 45 million. That’s a little over 1/50,000.

Yet it’s still a big deal.

1/50,000 isn't a big deal to me. That's extremely rare. Especially considering the vast majority of people killed by police are armed when it happens.

Nevertheless, 1 million+ men are raped by women every year in a manner that can cause pregnancy. There is almost certainly a nonnegligible number of men paying child support as a result of being raped.

1/100? Not sure - it could be more or less than that number. But it's a lot.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:47 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Please do not lie. Everyone can just read back the quote chain, so it is rather silly.
You explicitly denied it being rare to encounter people in need of help on the street. Not the helping of people, the encountering. And did so repeatedly.

But the conclusion is: you would not help. Clear.

That's not denying that accidents happen. But in my entire life, I've never seen someone need help on the street. Going by your earlier logic, I can say I don't think I'm special. So there, It's not common people need help. Same argument you used.

Or you are lying, to use your own earlier reply ;)
Still, we could probably do something with statistics to see what version is more likely.

Orrrr - we could just make a poll and ask the residents of NSG if they ever met someone in distress. And then we will know which of us is special :)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:That's not denying that accidents happen. But in my entire life, I've never seen someone need help on the street. Going by your earlier logic, I can say I don't think I'm special. So there, It's not common people need help. Same argument you used.

Or you are lying, to use your own earlier reply ;)
Still, we could probably do something with statistics to see what version is more likely.

Orrrr - we could just make a poll and ask the residents of NSG if they ever met someone in distress. And then we will know which of us is special :)

That poll wouldn't mean anything. It would be biased due to a small sample size.

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 am

Galloism wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:1/50,000 isn't a big deal to me. That's extremely rare. Especially considering the vast majority of people killed by police are armed when it happens.

Nevertheless, 1 million+ men are raped by women every year in a manner that can cause pregnancy. There is almost certainly a nonnegligible number of men paying child support as a result of being raped.

1/100? Not sure - it could be more or less than that number. But it's a lot.

It is a negligible amount. Anything that happens less than 1% of the time isn't worth worrying about to me.
Last edited by The Republic of Fore on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:56 am

Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Thedas Defiant
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Thedas Defiant » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:59 am

Servilis wrote:What part of "in a post-Trump America where Trans people are heavily demonized" did you not understand?

What part of "don't base your argument off extremely rare circumstances" can you not understand? Trans people aren't demonized. Doing anything but kissing their ass can destroy someone's career.

Please direct me to this magical planet you hail from where trans people aren't degraded, discriminated against, more likely to experience sexual abuse, have higher than average suicide rates, get murdered and see their killers walk free on flimsy defenses, etc.
I could go on but I already have major depression, I don't need to make it worse.

Also if you think recognizing trans people as valid and deserving of medical care constitutes kissing their ass, you clearly lack the basic ethics needed for the medical profession.
Queer pro-choice Christian and massive fantasy/sci-fi geek. She/her pronouns :)

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:59 am

Religious health care institutions and workers shouldn’t be forced to go against their beliefs on transition surgeries or therapies. However, as NPR reports this change seems to cover virtually every aspect of healthcare. Not only would religious hospitals or secular hospitals never deny lifesaving healthcare to LGBT people, the law shouldn’t allow it either.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Thedas Defiant
Political Columnist

Founded: May 05, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Thedas Defiant » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:02 am

Hakons wrote:Religious health care institutions and workers shouldn’t be forced to go against their beliefs on transition surgeries or therapies. However, as NPR reports this change seems to cover virtually every aspect of healthcare. Not only would religious hospitals or secular hospitals never deny lifesaving healthcare to LGBT people, the law shouldn’t allow it either.

People who want to let their bigoted beliefs color their treatment of patients shouldn't be in the healthcare profession TBH.
Queer pro-choice Christian and massive fantasy/sci-fi geek. She/her pronouns :)

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 am

Hakons wrote:Religious health care institutions and workers shouldn’t be forced to go against their beliefs on transition surgeries or therapies.

That workers will don't know how to do transition surgeries or therapies for peoples, don't have experiences etc. so yeah - no one will force them for own sake ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:12 am

Thedas Defiant wrote:
Hakons wrote:Religious health care institutions and workers shouldn’t be forced to go against their beliefs on transition surgeries or therapies. However, as NPR reports this change seems to cover virtually every aspect of healthcare. Not only would religious hospitals or secular hospitals never deny lifesaving healthcare to LGBT people, the law shouldn’t allow it either.

People who want to let their bigoted beliefs color their treatment of patients shouldn't be in the healthcare profession TBH.

I agree, but it depends on what you mean by bigotry and treatments. A Catholic hospital shouldn’t be forced to provide transition surgeries, for example. In this case it wouldn’t be bigotry for a clearly-known Catholic hospital to provide Catholic healthcare. People that are personally opposed to abortion also shouldn’t be forced to assist in abortions. Thankfully this one is near-universally recognized in global healthcare.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:14 am

Why should your religion give you a pass on denying people equal protection under the law?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General