NATION

PASSWORD

Corporal Punishment -A Parental Right or Wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Geneviev wrote:
New haven america wrote:How do you perform corporal punishment with hurting the child when the very idea of corporal punishment is hurting the child?

It can't be too painful for the child. It shouldn't hurt much, but only show them that they're wrong in their actions.

Corporal punishment never "showed me" anything, except that the people who hit me were -- in my five year old perception -- not nice to hit me just for being silly and I should make fun of them more.

New haven america wrote:1. No no, there's research for 1 side, and propaganda/fallacies for the other side.
2. And yet you're ok with corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment should only be used to help children.

Help them... what? Learn "might makes right"? Learn they can't trust those they should trust the most? Learn that you don't need an explanation if you have a fist?

Corporal punishment is not a teaching tool (it actually impairs moral internalisation), it's a tool to get immediate and temporary obedience without needing to say why. It's a lazy way to get your child to comply.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Wtf my country outlawed child corporal punishment in 2014
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:18 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
Geneviev wrote:There's research for both sides.

No, one side has actual research. The other has subjective opinion disguised as research (and not well, as no-one wants to publish it)

I would never want to harm children, but sometimes those things are necessary.

You keep saying that, but it's just a by-rote chant at this point.

You are yet to provide research establishing that removing privileges and other methods don't work.

It depends on the child. Some of them don't care about those things.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Disgraces wrote:Wtf my country outlawed child corporal punishment in 2014

Sounds like they where smart
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 03, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Disgraces wrote:I was hit as a kid many times and thank God I was.

And now I want to hit you for this erroneous so-called "opinion"
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.
<< TERRAN INTERSTELLAR ADMINISTRATION >>
Adminyztrasyn Vilstityr Rasyn

THEMES: Peace | Tension | War | Victory | Defeat | National Anthem
NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."
- Operations Director of the T.I.A., Hilbert Lachlan Silverwell

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Geneviev wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:No, one side has actual research. The other has subjective opinion disguised as research (and not well, as no-one wants to publish it)

You are yet to provide research establishing that removing privileges and other methods don't work.

Ya no. Nearly all children care about having things taken from them
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 pm

Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
Disgraces wrote:I was hit as a kid many times and thank God I was.

And now I want to hit you for this erroneous so-called "opinion"

How is it wrong?

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:And now I want to hit you for this erroneous so-called "opinion"

How is it wrong?

Research shows that spanking reduces IQ among other things.
TEMPORARILY USING NSTATS DUE TO LACK OF FACTBOOKS, BUT I'M JUDGING YOU (F7ERS) BY YOUR FACTBOOKS.

NATIONAL Q&A
"For a vast majority of its existence, mankind dreamed to reach the stars. Yet today, reaching the stars is made a reality through joint endeavor."

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Disgraces wrote:Wtf my country outlawed child corporal punishment in 2014

Sounds like they were dumb

FTFY

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It depends on the child. Some of them don't care about those things.

Ya no. Nearly all children care about having things taken from them

Let's do a more child-friendly version of forced labor instead, which would be additional chores.

NATIONAL Q&A

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm

New haven america wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Having experienced both, there is a stark, night and day difference between the two.

Also having experience both? Nope, no discernable difference in most cases.

Then you haven't experienced both.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Do you have anything that's not agitation propaganda written by clearly Christian opinionators?

It's a psychologist writing on Time. It's not propaganda.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
How is it punishment if it doesn't hurt?

It shouldn't be too extreme. If the intent is anything other than teaching, it can become abuse by inflicting too much pain.

"Teaching" the kid that certain undesirable behaviors lead to pain. But how does that work if it's only mild pain? Isn't it quite likely that hitting their sister (for example) is so gratifying for the child that some mild pain as part of the deal, doesn't stop them?

It is inescapable to me that a mild pain coming from a person they love and trust is far more significant than a greater pain from stubbing their toe. It's deliberate and directed at them, this makes it more significant to them.

Spanking is like the opposite of the love and care the child has come to expect. It's a little taste of "I hate you" and no wonder it is "effective".
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Geneviev wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:No, one side has actual research. The other has subjective opinion disguised as research (and not well, as no-one wants to publish it)

Then find something that the child does care for.

Honestly, we have disproved the efficacy of corporal punishment, several times over. You can't keep rebuffing the efficacy of other methods, claiming "only corporal punishment" without providing objective evidence as to the professed inefficacy of non-violent discipline at some point.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Disgraces wrote:How is it wrong?

Research shows that spanking reduces IQ among other things.

Not to brag, but I'm pretty smart.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:23 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's a psychologist writing on Time. It's not propaganda.

It shouldn't be too extreme. If the intent is anything other than teaching, it can become abuse by inflicting too much pain.

Why does this sound oddly familiar? Ya know it kinda sounds like that guy who said that it was ok to abuse your wife but gently as if that changed anything

There is actually a difference between me and Amin.

Geneviev wrote:It can't be too painful for the child. It shouldn't hurt much, but only show them that they're wrong in their actions.

Corporal punishment never "showed me" anything, except that the people who hit me were -- in my five year old perception -- not nice to hit me just for being silly and I should make fun of them more.

Help them... what? Learn "might makes right"? Learn they can't trust those they should trust the most? Learn that you don't need an explanation if you have a fist?

Corporal punishment is not a teaching tool (it actually impairs moral internalisation), it's a tool to get immediate and temporary obedience without needing to say why. It's a lazy way to get your child to comply.

Help them be better people. You should tell the child why you're doing it and discuss it with them so they can learn. If it's lazy, then it's being done wrong.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:25 pm

Off topic but why tf are you anti Beethoven, Geneviev?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Geneviev wrote:It's a psychologist writing on Time. It's not propaganda.

"Teaching" the kid that certain undesirable behaviors lead to pain. But how does that work if it's only mild pain? Isn't it quite likely that hitting their sister (for example) is so gratifying for the child that some mild pain as part of the deal, doesn't stop them?

It is inescapable to me that a mild pain coming from a person they love and trust is far more significant than a greater pain from stubbing their toe. It's deliberate and directed at them, this makes it more significant to them.

Spanking is like the opposite of the love and care the child has come to expect. It's a little taste of "I hate you" and no wonder it is "effective".

They should know that it is coming from love. It's not meant to harm a child at all, and so they need to understand why it's done and have the opportunity to talk about it. So it shouldn't be the opposite of love and care.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:27 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Sounds like they were dumb

FTFY

lmfao imagine thinking outlawing child abuse was a dumb thing to do
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Geneviev wrote:It depends on the child. Some of them don't care about those things.

Then find something that the child does care for.

Honestly, we have disproved the efficacy of corporal punishment, several times over. You can't keep rebuffing the efficacy of other methods, claiming "only corporal punishment" without providing objective evidence as to the professed inefficacy of non-violent discipline at some point.

It is only in very specific circumstances. Nonviolent discipline almost always works, but there are a few exceptions.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Disgraces wrote:
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:Research shows that spanking reduces IQ among other things.

Not to brag, but I'm pretty smart.

People who boast about their IQ are fucking losers. Yes this is a quote from Stephen Hawking, I just added "fucking"

NATIONAL Q&A

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Geneviev wrote:It can't be too painful for the child. It shouldn't hurt much, but only show them that they're wrong in their actions.

This is dumb. Corporal punishment alone doesn't teach anything. That's not it's purpose. It's part of the lesson but not the whole thing. It has its place. If you leave the lesson at just hitting them with no explanation or an arbitrary one, of course it's not going to work.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:28 pm

One word

Neither,so EGG

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Disgraces wrote:FTFY

lmfao imagine thinking outlawing child abuse was a dumb thing to do

How is a fucking slap abuse?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Disgraces wrote:Not to brag, but I'm pretty smart.

People who boast about their IQ are fucking losers. Yes this is a quote from Stephen Hawking, I just added "fucking"

I know. That's why I said "not to brag". I only said it because apparently getting slapped makes you dumber, which isn't my case.

Also I never said anything about my IQ.
Last edited by Disgraces on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Why does this sound oddly familiar? Ya know it kinda sounds like that guy who said that it was ok to abuse your wife but gently as if that changed anything

There is actually a difference between me and Amin.

Yes, you propose beating a small vulnerable human being who trusts you and call that love.

The Free Joy State wrote:Corporal punishment never "showed me" anything, except that the people who hit me were -- in my five year old perception -- not nice to hit me just for being silly and I should make fun of them more.

Help them be better people. You should tell the child why you're doing it and discuss it with them so they can learn. If it's lazy, then it's being done wrong.

Corporal punishment does not make children "better", and it actively inhibits learning (except how to hide their mistakes from you).

It is also an inherently lazy punishment. Rather than working to think of a personal punishment that would mean something to that child in the particular situation they're in and help them learn a genuine lesson and actually become a better person (write an apology to the person they insulted, fix something they broke, removing their gaming machine until they're caught up with their homework), just beat 'em.

Of course, they could suffer terrible effects down the line (in increased aggression, reduced mental wellbeing, and may abuse their spouse and children), but the parent gets to feel real good about "punishing them".
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General