NATION

PASSWORD

Corporal Punishment -A Parental Right or Wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:50 am

I don’t believe in it but the usual arguments against it don’t hold up and neither do the studies.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:51 am

Page wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Only if you agree on a safeword first.

To be honest I think S&M fetishes might sometimes stem from trauma from being hit as a kid, that one consents for their partner to spank them as a way of taking back control. Just a theory.

Oh, there certainly is truth to that. Many holocaust survivors also ended up in the bdsm scene after they were freed from the camps. It helped dealing with the trauma.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 am

Geneviev wrote:
Page wrote:
What kind of behavior deserves violence? I can entertain the notion that if I had a kid who started trying to stab me or set the house on fire that I would use force to subdue them, but it's quite rare for a kid to be homicidal.

I never tried to stab my parents. I was hit for petty and irrelevant bullshit like not wanting to wear the clothes my parents wanted me to, or using profanity, or "talking back."

If they're bullying other kids, or they're doing something dangerous, or if they refuse to listen to their parents and it becomes a serious problem.

The bullies were being hit by their parents in the first place more often than not, and in fact that might be the origin of the bullying. They learn the lesson that when you're bigger and stronger you can do what you want to the weaker ones.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:54 am

Page wrote:
Geneviev wrote:If they're bullying other kids, or they're doing something dangerous, or if they refuse to listen to their parents and it becomes a serious problem.

The bullies were being hit by their parents in the first place more often than not, and in fact that might be the origin of the bullying. They learn the lesson that when you're bigger and stronger you can do what you want to the weaker ones.

That wouldn't be possible if the hitting were actually controlled from the beginning.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Nolo gap
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nolo gap » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:54 am

children have a moral right to seek asylum from abusive parents through a fair and impartial legal system.

parents of course have an equal right to take reasonable and necessary measures protect their sanity, and that of the society they live in.

there's no never or always about this. it is a totally nuanced reality.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:57 am

Geneviev wrote:
Page wrote:

That wouldn't be possible if the hitting were actually controlled from the beginning.

That is absurd.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:57 am

I hope I never feel inclined to use violence towards anyone.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:58 am

Page wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That wouldn't be possible if the hitting were actually controlled from the beginning.

That is absurd.

No. The kids would learn from their parents' example.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:59 am

I don’t buy most of the arguments against spanking, but I also just don’t see the necessity of using violence to raise children.
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:00 am

Sundiata wrote:I hope I never feel inclined to use violence towards anyone.

I don't know that I would even be able to do it.

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:38 am

In response to the argument which several posters have made, I don't think corporal punishment makes violent personalities, and I base that on examples of gentle and harmless people who really were abused as children, and two examples of psychopathic people, Hitler and Stalin, who were anti-social children and punished harshly for it.

Anecdotal proof for me is my childhood. I was a very problematic child who didn't respect rules or respond well to authority at home and in the classroom, and my behaviour only worsened as I got older. The violent beating across the legs with a belt, which I got for stealing at the age of ten, was the last resort. All other reactions to previous misdemeanours - remonstrations, threats, confinements to my bedroom and confiscating toys - hadn't encouraged reform in my character, and my parents long patience had finally been exhausted and replaced with a righteous anger and a profound anxiety for my future status as an adult member of society.

Corporal punishment hasn't made me a violent, anti-social criminal who hates authority, and I don't resent my parents for their wrathful punishment upon me, which I can talk about in complete agreement with them now as a healthy, well-adjusted adult who's thankful for their intervention.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:44 am

Don't hit your kids, unless you WANT to traumatize them, in which case... the fuck is wrong with you?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Corporal punishment hasn't made me a violent,

Hard to reconcile that with how you're okay with children being physically abused.
Last edited by Necroghastia on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:01 am

It is true that children need to be disciplined, but using psyhical punishment against them is not the right way. Of course when I was spanked as a child that didn't hurt my relationship with my parents. However, other kids experiences are way different than mine and I think physical punishment shouldn't be use and there are effective ways to discipline them.

For example just ground them from their toys, video games, and iPads. Most kids these days can't live without their technology and it would teach them not to do wrong.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

Let's be honest, OP only supports this because it's in the bible, and that is all the reasoning he needs. He is a theocrat and barbaric punishments like this are everywhere in the bible.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

The Archbishopric of York
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archbishopric of York » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am

I don't think that lightly smacking a child to discipline them is "abusive" in the slightest. Particularly with young children, it can be difficult to punish them in any other way. You can't explain to them why what they are doing is wrong or, for that matter, dangerous; you can send them to the "naughty step" or whatever the equivalent in your household is, or you can take away a favoured toy, but those kinds of punishments require a certain degree of cooperation from the child. The quickest and most effective way to prevent a child from, say, sticking their finger in a plug socket or putting things in their mouths that they shouldn't is to give them a literal slap on the wrist.
Necroghastia wrote:Don't hit your kids, unless you WANT to traumatize them, in which case... the fuck is wrong with you?

I and hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, of people around the world stand as testament to the fact that physically disciplining children doesn't "traumatise" them, at least not unless you're using excessive force- at which point, yes, you've crossed the line over into abuse.

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:47 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:Let's be honest, OP only supports this because it's in the bible, and that is all the reasoning he needs. He is a theocrat and barbaric punishments like this are everywhere in the bible.

I outlined my reasoning in my previous post with anecdotal evidence, which hasn't been supplemented with reference to Scripture. Your groundless accusation is clearly flamebaiting.

Let's be honest? Don't make me laugh.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:01 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Let's be honest, OP only supports this because it's in the bible, and that is all the reasoning he needs. He is a theocrat and barbaric punishments like this are everywhere in the bible.

I outlined my reasoning in my previous post with anecdotal evidence, which hasn't been supplemented with reference to Scripture. Your groundless accusation is clearly flamebaiting.

Let's be honest? Don't make me laugh.

My intent is not to flamebait, but anyway, you know where acusations of flamebaiting go.

Anecdotal reasons and evidence is also not very convincing.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:13 am

I don't understand the fetish about beating people.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am

My parents used corporal punishment in me, but I hold no animosity toward then, nor do I consider myself to be abused. In fact, I appreciate the level of discipline I was instilled with.

That being said, however, I can understand the arguments of corporal punishment being a dated practice, when far healthier alternatives exists. I can't see myself spanking my kids, if I ever have any.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am

Necroghastia wrote:Don't hit your kids, unless you WANT to traumatize them, in which case... the fuck is wrong with you?

It doesn't necessarily traumatize them. It depends on how its done and your intent. Wanting to hurt kids is definitely wrong.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:18 am

The Archbishopric of York wrote:I don't think that lightly smacking a child to discipline them is "abusive" in the slightest. Particularly with young children, it can be difficult to punish them in any other way. You can't explain to them why what they are doing is wrong or, for that matter, dangerous; you can send them to the "naughty step" or whatever the equivalent in your household is, or you can take away a favoured toy, but those kinds of punishments require a certain degree of cooperation from the child. The quickest and most effective way to prevent a child from, say, sticking their finger in a plug socket or putting things in their mouths that they shouldn't is to give them a literal slap on the wrist.

I and hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, of people around the world stand as testament to the fact that physically disciplining children doesn't "traumatise" them, at least not unless you're using excessive force- at which point, yes, you've crossed the line over into abuse.

There’s a difference between slapping a child’s hand away from being burnt or making sure they don’t eat something bad and beating them because they did something bad.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:21 am

Pretty sure applying fist to head of child causes personality changes at the mildest but that's maybe just me.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:27 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:I don't understand the fetish about beating people.

I understand the fetish. I don't understand wanting to beat children if they act up.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:31 am

Assault does not stop being assault because the person you're assaulting happens to be a child.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General