NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminism Thread IV: Fight Like A Girl!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we continue this thread or retire it at the 500 page mark?

Continue
48%
Retire
52%

Total votes : 347

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:20 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
That's a very specific percentage. 74% rather than 75%

How come?

It's easy, look at what page number you are on, then look at the total number of pages, then calculate as a percentage. Tbh I'd want to read that extra few pages to get it to 75%.

Overachiever
The Blaatschapen should resign

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am

Kowani wrote:Indian Supreme Court rules that unpaid homemaking constitutes work and adds economic value, recommends fixing a notional income

For reference on how big this for women in India, in 2011, 159.85 million women stated that “household work” was their main occupation.

It's about time, really. This sort of policy should be commonplace the world over.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Rosmana
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rosmana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:40 am

Sundiata wrote:
Kowani wrote:Indian Supreme Court rules that unpaid homemaking constitutes work and adds economic value, recommends fixing a notional income

For reference on how big this for women in India, in 2011, 159.85 million women stated that “household work” was their main occupation.

It's about time, really. This sort of policy should be commonplace the world over.

Not that all women have to do this, but it IS a work, and it DOES constitutes work and adds economic value. :)
-News in Dispatches, NS stats are not accurate-

My other nations are Rosmana and raskana

-Stop Putin NOW, copy if you agree-

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 am

Rosmana wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's about time, really. This sort of policy should be commonplace the world over.

Not that all women have to do this, but it IS a work, and it DOES constitutes work and adds economic value. :)

Yes, yes. And it would also open the option for mothers to fully dedicate themselves to homemaking. Even fathers if they so choose. :lol2:
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Rosmana
Diplomat

Postby Rosmana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:04 am

Sundiata wrote:
Rosmana wrote:Not that all women have to do this, but it IS a work, and it DOES constitutes work and adds economic value. :)

Yes, yes. And it would also open the option for mothers to fully dedicate themselves to homemaking. Even fathers if they so choose. :lol2:

Agreed, and why is that funny? :unsure:

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:08 am

Rosmana wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Yes, yes. And it would also open the option for mothers to fully dedicate themselves to homemaking. Even fathers if they so choose. :lol2:

Agreed, and why is that funny? :unsure:

It's just not something you see often, a stay-at-home dad. :lol2: Still, to tend to the needs of the household, it's better that one parent stays at home as opposed to neither.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Rosmana
Diplomat

Postby Rosmana » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am

Sundiata wrote:
Rosmana wrote:Agreed, and why is that funny? :unsure:

It's just not something you see often, a stay-at-home dad. :lol2: Still, to tend to the needs of the household, it's better that one parent stays at home as opposed to neither.

Well, my brother in law does it, and it does not make him any less of a man. :D

Not saying you are saying it does though. LOL

But agreed!
Last edited by Rosmana on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am

Rosmana wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's just not something you see often, a stay-at-home dad. :lol2: Still, to tend to the needs of the household, it's better that one parent stays at home as opposed to neither.

Well, my brother in law does it, and it does not make him any less of a man. :D

Not saying you are saying it does though. LOL

But agreed!

Yes, yes. Personally speaking, I would prefer for my wife to stay at home with the children. If not, the both of us.

However, if one of us had to professionally work, I would prefer it be me. More leisure time for my wife.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:22 am

Sundiata wrote:Yes, yes. And it would also open the option for mothers to fully dedicate themselves to homemaking. Even fathers if they so choose. :lol2:

I don't know what you think is happening but notional income is money you did not receive but are treated as having made. So if your wife dies you can calculate the lost value of her housework and be compensated. Nobody is getting additional money.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:23 am

Des-Bal wrote:

I don't know what you think is happening but notional income is money you did not receive but are treated as having made. So if your wife dies you can calculate the lost value of her housework and be compensated. Nobody is getting additional money.

Fathers too?
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Rosmana wrote:Agreed, and why is that funny? :unsure:

Or we decrease the working hours so both working parents can spend time with their child(ren) so they can make the money they need.

Not all parents are affluent enough to have one stay at home.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Sundiata wrote:It's just not something you see often, a stay-at-home dad. :lol2: Still, to tend to the needs of the household, it's better that one parent stays at home as opposed to neither.

Or we decrease the working hours so both working parents can spend time with their child(ren) so they can make the money they need.

Not all parents are affluent enough to have one stay at home.

Sure, and pay workers a just wage.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Sundiata wrote:Fathers too?

Homemakers. But again, this is for calculating the value a person provides, nobody is actually being compensated until that person is no longer capable of doing those things.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Fathers too?

Homemakers. But again, this is for calculating the value a person provides, nobody is actually being compensated until that person is no longer capable of doing those things.

Oh! Ok.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:16 pm

I wanted to share a sad and disturbing historical fact that I've learned in my readings, so that it can serve as a testament to the devastating impact that societal expectations around gender, sex, and class can have on both our understanding of the world and our responses to it.

Most of us are familiar with Sigmund Freud and his wacky theories with their obsession with subconscious sexual desires. What I only recently learned, however, is that far from just being the eccentric guesses of a pioneer in the newborn field of psychology, Freud's theories largely stemmed from his desire to invalidate recounts of sexual abuse by his female patients, especially those allegedly committed by upper class men of "excellent repute." Once sympathetic to his clients and understanding that their issues arose from trauma of immoral acts committed against them, when faced with the implications these facts had about his society and the way it treated men and women, Freud backed away from his initial findings and instead forced himself to come up with his Psychosexual Development theory in order to explain how his clients could "mistakenly believe that they had been abused."

From "Why Does He Do That?" by Lundy Bancroft (both quotes spoilered due to sensitive material):

We need to take a large step back in time for a moment, to the early part of Freud's era, when modern psychology was born. In the 1890s, when Freud was in the dawn of his career, he was struck by how many of his female patients were revealing childhood incest victimization to him. Freud concluded that child sexual abuse was one of the major causes of emotional disturbances in adult women and wrote a brilliant and humane paper called "The Aetiology of Hysteria." However, rather than receiving acclaim from his colleagues for his ground-breaking insights, Freud met with scorn. He was ridiculed for believing that men of excellent reputation (most of his patients came from upstanding homes) could be perpetrators of incest.

Within a few years, Freud buckled under this heavy pressure and recanted his conclusions. In their place he proposed the "Oedipus complex," which became the foundation of modern psychology. According to this theory, any young girl actually desires sexual contact with her father, because she wants to compete with her mother to be the most special person in his life. Freud used this construct to conclude that the episodes of incestuous abuse his clients had revealed to him had never taken place; they were simply fantasies of events the women had wished for when they were children and that the women had come to believe were real. This construct started a hundred-year history in the mental health field of blaming victims for the abuse perpetrated on them and outright discrediting of women's and children's reports of mistreatment by men.

Once abuse was denied this way, the stage was set for some psychologists to take the view that any violent or sexually exploitative behaviors that couldn't be denied — because they were simply too obvious — should be considered mutually caused. Psychological literature is thus full of descriptions of young children who "seduce" adults into sexual encounters and of women whose "provocative" behavior causes men to become violent or sexually assaultive toward them.

From "Trauma and Recovery" by Dr. Judith Herman:

In spite of an ancient clinical tradition that recognized the association of hysterical symptoms with female sexuality, Freud's mentors, Charcot and Breuer, had been highly skeptical about the role of sexuality in the origins of hysteria. Freud himself was initially resistant to the idea: "When I began to analyse the second patient ... the expectation of a sexual neurosis being the basis of hysteria was fairly remote from my mind. I had come fresh from the school of Charcot, and I regarded the linking of hysteria with the topic of sexuality as a sort of insult — just as the women patients themselves do."

This empathic identification with his patients' reactions is characteristic of Freud's early writings on hysteria. His case histories reveal a man possessed of such passionate curiosity that he was willing to overcome his own defensiveness, and willing to listen. What he heard was appalling. Repeatedly his patients told him of sexual assault, abuse, and incest. Following back the thread of memory, Freud and his patients uncovered major traumatic events of childhood concealed beneath the more recent, often relatively trivial experiences that had actually triggered the onset of hysterical symptoms. By 1896 Freud believed he had found the source. In a report on eighteen case studies, entitled The Aetiology of Hysteria, he made a dramatic claim: "I therefore put forward the thesis that at the bottom of every case of hysteria there are one or more occurrences of premature sexual experience, occurrences which belong to the earliest years of childhood, but which can be reproduced through the work of psycho-analysis in spite of the intervening decades. I believe that this is an important finding, the discovery of a caput Nili in neuropathology."

A century later, this paper still rivals contemporary clinical descriptions of the effects of childhood sexual abuse. It is a brilliant, compassionate, eloquently argued, closely reasoned document. Its triumphant title and exultant tone suggest that Freud viewed his contribution as the crowning achievement in the field.

Instead, the publication of The Aetiology of Hysteria marked the end of this line of inquiry. Within a year, Freud had privately repudiated the traumatic theory of the origins of hysteria. His correspondence makes clear that he was increasingly troubled by the radical social implications of his hypothesis. Hysteria was so common among women that if his patients' stories were true, and if his theory were correct, he would be forced to conclude that what he called "perverted acts against children" were endemic, not only among the proletariat of Paris, where he had first studied hysteria, but also among the respectable bourgeois families of Vienna, where he had established his practice. This idea was simply unacceptable. It was beyond credibility.

Faced with this dilemma, Freud stopped listening to his female patients. The turning point is documented in the famous case of Dora. This, the last of Freud's case studies on hysteria, reads more like a battle of wits than a cooperative venture. The interaction between Freud and Dora has been described as "emotional combat." In this case Freud still acknowledged the reality of his patient's experience: the adolescent Dora was being used as a pawn in her father's elaborate sex intrigues. Her father had essentially offered her to his friends as a sexual toy. Freud refused, however, to validate Dora's feelings of outrage and humiliation. Instead, he insisted upon exploring her feelings of erotic excitement, as if the exploitative situation were a fulfillment of her desire. In an act that Freud viewed as revenge, Dora broke off the treatment.

The breach of their alliance marked the bitter end of an era of collaboration between ambitious investigators and hysterical patients. For close to a century, these patients would again be scorned and silenced. Freud's followers held a particular grudge against the rebellious Dora, who was later described by a disciple as "one of the most repulsive hysterics he had ever met."

Out of the ruins of traumatic theory of hysteria, Freud created psychoanalysis. The dominant psychological theory of the next century was founded in the denial of women's reality. Sexuality remained the central focus of inquiry. But the exploitative social context in which sexual relations actually occur became utterly invisible. Psychoanalysis became a study of the internal vicissitudes of fantasy and desire, dissociated from the reality of experience. By the first decade of the twentieth century, without ever offering any clinical documentation of false complaints, Freud had concluded that his hysterical patients' accounts of childhood sexual abuse were untrue: "I was at last obliged to recognize that these scenes of seduction had never taken place, and that they were only fantasies which my patients had made up."

Freud's recantation signified the end of the heroic age of hysteria. After the turn of the century the entire line of inquiry initiated by Charcot and continued by his followers fell into neglect. Hypnosis and altered states of consciousness were once more relegated to the realm of the occult. The study of psychological trauma came to a halt. After a time, the disease of hysteria itself was said to have virtually disappeared.

As of the writing of this post, the Wikipedia page for "The Aetiology of Hysteria" is just a stub.

Ironically, the whole tragedy is a testament to the power of denial, and of the role that gender-based oppression plays in that denial. We've come a long way since in understanding things like trauma, but I think this is a note about history that we ought to keep as a reminder to ourselves about the influence our culture has on us and thus the importance of staying open-minded and not afraid to explore uncomfortable conclusions about the world.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:47 am

Giovenith wrote:Most of us are familiar with Sigmund Freud and his wacky theories

I thought he was generally respected, if highly controversial, in his field?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:54 am

Nakena wrote:
Giovenith wrote:Most of us are familiar with Sigmund Freud and his wacky theories

Yes he is. He was wrong in some areas and made assumptions that wouldn't be so readily accepted nowadays, but his ideas gave birth to our modern understanding of how to treat mental illness.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 am

Nakena wrote:

His ideas aren’t really accepted. The respect for him mostly comes from the fact that he was one of the first that tried to go about diagnosing and classifying mental illness and such.
Last edited by Adamede on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Untied State
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 13, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby The Untied State » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 am

didn't freud think all men are secretly attracted to their mothers and hate their fathers and vice versa? odd stuff.
so basically 2020 election happens, there's a civil bloodbath, and the political system is overhauled as the nation tries to find unity and a new identity in a new age of political violence, alaska, hawaii, and puerto rico left the union, proportional representation enabled an increasingly individualized and oddly specific political climate, and lib-left lib-right solidarity is the favored form of compromise, now with a new flag!

imagine writing lore

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:57 am

I mean how much of psychology is bullshit is up for debate with the whole reproducibility crisis thing.

Istoreya
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Istoreya » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:09 am

Nakena wrote:

As a psychology student, the deep sigh that any lecturer I've ever had makes right before talking about Freud should sum up how he's thought of.
The Untied State wrote:didn't freud think all men are secretly attracted to their mothers and hate their fathers and vice versa? odd stuff.

Young boys hate their fathers because they want to sleep with their mothers, known as the Oedipus complex.
Young girls also hate their fathers because they are jealous of their fathers for having a penis and this makes them want to sleep with their fathers, known as the Electra complex.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:04 am

Nakena wrote:

He's a guy who said;

"Do you know what, I reckon the earth isn't the centre of the universe. And furthermore, the sun is the centre of our system. What's more, there are pigeons who live on it and sacrifice their eggs to appease the earth god."

He gets credit for realizing psychology is a thing. Almost nobody takes his ideas about what psychology *is* seriously anymore.

This is, essentially, how I view feminists by the way.

"Sexism is a thing."

"Cool."

"And goblins cause it.".

"...".

The difference is Freudian psychologists didn't protest other forms of psychology and go around sending bomb threats to people who questioned their ideas, or claim people who noted they were talking absolute nonsense were "Against psychology".
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:43 am

American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:52 am

Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Cool. Now all these people are going to step forward and help raise these unwanted children right? Hello? Hello? Anybody? Hellllooooooo?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General