NATION

PASSWORD

The NationStates Feminism Thread IV: Fight Like A Girl!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we continue this thread or retire it at the 500 page mark?

Continue
48%
Retire
52%

Total votes : 347

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:20 am

Purgatio wrote:As for your BLM/ALM comparison, again I think you misunderstand my argument, as evidenced by the part of your comment about John getting punched more than Sally.

I understand - just like the all lives matter people don't understand statistics (pointing out in the absolute, more white people are killed than black people when it comes to police, disregarding the effect population has on the numbers), many people have problems with that as well when it comes to sexual violence and accepting the statistics that men are raped about as often as women, and mostly by women.

It's not the first time I've had this difficulty.

In the general sense, it's usually less about not understanding statistics, and more about what to do when those statistics contradict your internal biases and beliefs.

In both cases.

We disagree on that, and we could rehash that debate all over again but it'll probably go in the same direction as before. I don't agree that John is getting punched more than Sally. I believe that women are more likely to suffer rape, sexual violence, and intimate partner violence, ceteris paribus, than men, and I believe the CDC and ONS data on the matter supports that conclusion. You have a different interpretation of the prevailing data, and so you believe that men are more likely to suffer all those things than women. Our disagreement lies, therefore, in whether men or women are more likely to suffer all those kinds of violence, which is a fair disagreement that many academics out there have. It doesn't mean that when I hear you talk about the problems men face when reporting sexual and domestic violence, that I reflexively think you are trivialising the problems women face when reporting the same - my disagreement is not about that, but about the prior debate we've already had about whether men or women are more likely to even suffer those kinds of violence in the first place. That's the core issue, really.

No, men are about as likely to suffer rape as women. Women suffer other types of sexual violence slightly more. Men are somewhat more likely to suffer domestic violence than women. Women are somewhat more likely to suffer severe domestic violence than men. At the extreme extreme end (murder), women suffer 2-3x as much as men. At rape they suffer about the same.

I believe that because that's what repeated surveys show when you look at the 1 year numbers - year after year after year. When you keep getting the same results in survey over survey year after year, it's probably reliable. It's basically impossible for one year numbers to always be the same year after year after year but lifetime numbers be disparate, and both be accurate, and we know what happens with memory if they're not rehearsed (or rehearsed with societal bias adding to them).

Basically, if you look at survey after survey after survey, they keep coming out the same way in the 1 year numbers. This tells us what the current crime rate is, which is what (generally) we should be investigating.

And functionally, "punched in the face" wasn't about the actual rate of rape and domestic violence (which is about equal, more or less) - it's about being punched in the face by the justice system. And men DO suffer that more, on every metric. But you have to go with "all lives matter" at me, instead of focusing on the very real problem of men suffering at the hands of the justice system because of their gender.
Last edited by Galloism on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 am

As you might have gathered from my sig, I'm pretty big into the fight against child marriage and forced marriage, so I wanted to share the recently released two-hour long Zoomer meeting between victims from all different backgrounds. They all share their stories (a warning, many deal with sexual abuse and other difficult subjects) and their thoughts on how this can be prevented, including our need to change attitudes about "minding our own business" and giving excessive leeway/undeserved respect to harmful aspects of "culture."
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Fulton J. Sheen said it best, "Every woman is made to be a mother either physical or spiritual."

It's good to have opportunities to be tender and kind.
Last edited by Sundiata on Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Giovenith wrote:As you might have gathered from my sig, I'm pretty big into the fight against child marriage and forced marriage, so I wanted to share the recently released two-hour long Zoomer meeting between victims from all different backgrounds. They all share their stories (a warning, many deal with sexual abuse and other difficult subjects) and their thoughts on how this can be prevented, including our need to change attitudes about "minding our own business" and giving excessive leeway/undeserved respect to harmful aspects of "culture."

I knew of a girl who was forced to marry a guy the family chose for her at 17. They were Albanian and her entire life was ruined, now she's a slave to this rich rando.

Imagine being such a misogynist piece of shit you force your daughter to basically be raped by a man. Cause i doubt she got pregnant by him willingly.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Sundiata wrote:Fulton J. Sheen said it best, "Every woman is made to be a mother either physical or spiritual."

Women are born to be whatever the hell they wanna be. Don't tell them what they ought to be.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Romance and Reverie
Secretary

Founded: Jun 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Romance and Reverie » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:50 pm

18 hours ago: Following new legislation in Romance and Reverie, women don't report crimes to the emergency services for fear of being arrested.

Interesting coincidence, that this thread should come up in the sidebar.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Fulton J. Sheen said it best, "Every woman is made to be a mother either physical or spiritual."

Women are born to be whatever the hell they wanna be. Don't tell them what they ought to be.

They're not born to be unkind.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

They're not born to be unkind.

Some are, as with men.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:18 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Sundiata wrote:They're not born to be unkind.

Some are, as with men.

Women can behave unkindly but they're not supposed to, as that would be to neglect their physical and/or spiritual motherhood. In the case of men, their physical and/or spiritual fatherhood.
Last edited by Sundiata on Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Free Ravensburg
Senator

Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Ravensburg » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 pm

I yearn for true gender equality. I have no patience for one who talks about female privilege when it suits them, and then complain about someone "not being a man" when it's convenient.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Times
INT:| Canada "Gives Up" on Hiding Aliens and UFOs/ NAT:| Ravenian Astronauts That Went on the EELOO Mission Report Seeing a Mass of "Squidlike Handlike Starships"
Borb with an NS account and a crippling addiction passion to JoJo that Lives in the F7 Servers | TG’s are not for JoJo Stuff | Current Global Mood: I-is that a… | NSStats Accused of Treason to the Republic | Copper Plasma > Lasers

Space Lads
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Lads » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Some are, as with men.

Women can behave unkindly but they're not supposed to, as that would be to neglect their physical and/or spiritual motherhood. In the case of men, their physical and/or spiritual fatherhood.

I agree with you that people should be kind, no question. However, I think you’re conflating sex and gender roles. being a male does not make me a father by obligation; same for women. The terms are not synonymous. Maybe earlier in our evolution, but not now. We have the freedom to do what we want with our lives; women can do whatever they want. Our sex should not determine how we live.
Space Brits. Also Communists.
We do not have capital punishment. Sorry for the inconvenience to any criminals.
“Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars.”
- Carl Sagan
National News
LNN: Chairhead Morris and girlfriend Meredith Gumble to go vacation on their ship “Janice” during the two week Congressional recess. They plan to tour the Uranian System, which Gumble says “needs some love.”

International News
LNN: Eros wins the Soccer Solarium Cup for the 4th year in a row. They also hosted the event in an arena on one of their artificial satellites.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:21 pm

Space Lads wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Women can behave unkindly but they're not supposed to, as that would be to neglect their physical and/or spiritual motherhood. In the case of men, their physical and/or spiritual fatherhood.

I agree with you that people should be kind, no question. However, I think you’re conflating sex and gender roles. being a male does not make me a father by obligation; same for women. The terms are not synonymous. Maybe earlier in our evolution, but not now. We have the freedom to do what we want with our lives; women can do whatever they want. Our sex should not determine how we live.

Adult males are men; adult females are women. Where exactly do we disagree?
-St. Josemaria Escriva

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Why is it every post you make on this thread is basically the same thing?
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:30 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Giovenith wrote:As you might have gathered from my sig, I'm pretty big into the fight against child marriage and forced marriage, so I wanted to share the recently released two-hour long Zoomer meeting between victims from all different backgrounds. They all share their stories (a warning, many deal with sexual abuse and other difficult subjects) and their thoughts on how this can be prevented, including our need to change attitudes about "minding our own business" and giving excessive leeway/undeserved respect to harmful aspects of "culture."

I knew of a girl who was forced to marry a guy the family chose for her at 17. They were Albanian and her entire life was ruined, now she's a slave to this rich rando.

Imagine being such a misogynist piece of shit you force your daughter to basically be raped by a man. Cause i doubt she got pregnant by him willingly.

It's actually not uncommon for poorer areas/regions in Europe, even in the more developed countries like Germany, France, or The UK to still be dealing with this.

Once they get to the legal marrying age off their daughters go to some rich John or close family members like their cousins.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:I yearn for true gender equality. I have no patience for one who talks about female privilege when it suits them, and then complain about someone "not being a man" when it's convenient.

Usually the ones who talk about female privilege are the ones who call out those who do the “be a man” gender shaming, and other gender shaming like “male tears” or calling someone a “manbaby”.

You seem to be confusing two different groups.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:20 pm

New haven america wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

It's actually not uncommon for poorer areas/regions in Europe, even in the more developed countries like Germany, France, or The UK to still be dealing with this.

Once they get to the legal marrying age off their daughters go to some rich John or close family members like their cousins.

Absolutely disgusting.

Esotyrica
Attaché

Founded: Jul 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Esotyrica » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 pm

New haven america wrote:

"i am unable to understand that this person is a tradcath"
go outside and do the activism you want instead of debating AWFL-type liberalism on NSG

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:08 pm

Free Ravensburg wrote:I yearn for true gender equality. I have no patience for one who talks about female privilege when it suits them, and then complain about someone "not being a man" when it's convenient.

eeyup.
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:15 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wait till you learn about those women who are born to be lesbians. I mean, I've debated with you in the past to know you don't think lesbianism is a thing or that people can be born gay/lesbian but....yeah, whether you like it or not, some women out there are born, biologically and innately, as lesbians. Solely attracted to other women. Are they all "made to be mothers" too? What a load of nonsense this is.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:18 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Yeah I've known of women and girls who suffered under forced and arranged marriages. Its really ridiculous, all around the world so many women and girls are treated like the chattel property of their families, bartered and sold and traded away like trading cards for personal gain, its revolting and dehumanising and disgusting. I hope this girl manages to escape her circumstances and her husband one day....but statistically, I know its very unlikely. Its just another painful and hostile reminder of how misogynistic and sexist so much of our world really is, that Medieval and barbaric practices like forced marriages and arranged marriages are so deeply ingrained.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

VVerkia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby VVerkia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:04 am

Forced or manipulated marriages isn't real marriages. It's another form of slaving with different label. For "slavers" it doesn't matter, because real marriage isn't what the matter for them.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:15 am

Purgatio wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Wait till you learn about those women who are born to be lesbians. I mean, I've debated with you in the past to know you don't think lesbianism is a thing or that people can be born gay/lesbian but....yeah, whether you like it or not, some women out there are born, biologically and innately, as lesbians. Solely attracted to other women. Are they all "made to be mothers" too? What a load of nonsense this is.

Regarding same-sex attraction, the feelings of people who experience it, are in fact legitimate. But to answer your question, yes. Women who experience same-sex attraction are called to be spiritual mothers. Or in other words, virtuous and kind.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 am

Esotyrica wrote:
New haven america wrote:Why is it every post you make on this thread is basically the same thing?

"i am unable to understand that this person is a tradcath"

Not a tradcath, just a Catholic. Catholics can be feminists too.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 am

New haven america wrote:

I may sound like a broken record but I do think it's important to "affirm the genius of women in every aspect of the life of society and overcome all discrimination, violence, and exploitation," to quote JP II.
Last edited by Sundiata on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 am

Why does "a spiritual mother" sound like something a minigun-wielding nun would declare herself to be just after she's kicked down the church doors!?
Last edited by Dumb Ideologies on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General