NATION

PASSWORD

Is it about illegal immigration or...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grand Hellenic Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grand Hellenic Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:14 pm

Katganistan wrote:So here's an idea: if you're going to one of those enclaves, learn a bit of the language. Carry a translator.

I had reasons to be there in those few times but I don't have business there in general, so I simply don't go.
My country is not the united states nor is it some multicultural or multiethnic place, there is this one cultural and lingusitic minority we accept and we live side by side with.

They are not obligated to accommodate you.

The majority of a country isn't obligated to accomodate minorities either, and yet that seems to be the arguement I see pushed often in such threads.

I dont think it is right to demand from the majority of a place to cater to the desires of a minority. Maybe in america it is different with your melting pot, but the countries in europe were formed and named after a very specific nationality and that nationality is the literal basis of the country. Minorities can come in and they can live, work, even obtain citizenship and vote, in peace, but they have no right to demand any accomodation beyond that.
Technically a Puppet of Arcaniana, but in reality this is my newer and more representitive personal nation.

Freedom cannot exist without duty and neither can rights without responsibilities.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm

Grand Hellenic Republic wrote:
Katganistan wrote:So here's an idea: if you're going to one of those enclaves, learn a bit of the language. Carry a translator.

I had reasons to be there in those few times but I don't have business there in general, so I simply don't go.
My country is not the united states nor is it some multicultural or multiethnic place, there is this one cultural and lingusitic minority we accept and we live side by side with.

The majority of a country isn't obligated to accomodate minorities either, and yet that seems to be the arguement I see pushed often in such threads.

I dont think it is right to demand from the majority of a place to cater to the desires of a minority. Maybe in america it is different with your melting pot, but the countries in europe were formed and named after a very specific nationality and that nationality is the literal basis of the country. Minorities can come in and they can live, work, even obtain citizenship and vote, in peace, but they have no right to demand any accomodation beyond that.

And yet you allow pretty free travel between countries, so long as they're all in the EU, correct?

Grand Hellenic Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020

Postby Grand Hellenic Republic » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Katganistan wrote:And yet you allow pretty free travel between countries, so long as they're all in the EU, correct?

The main point of that is easier tourist travel and international transactions. The immigration aspect of it, in fact, is the most controversial of the functions of these agreements. A country left the EU over it and around 3+ others are possibly going to do the same in the future.
Last edited by Grand Hellenic Republic on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technically a Puppet of Arcaniana, but in reality this is my newer and more representitive personal nation.

Freedom cannot exist without duty and neither can rights without responsibilities.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Official_languages_of_U.S._states_and_territories

It's a bit disingenuous to say that the US doesn't have an official language as if we all speak English for some arbitrary reason we decided on yesterday. For all intents and purposes, English is the national language and when people think of Americans, they think of English-speakers.

It's not disingenuous at all. The Constitution, for example, enumerates the rights of the people and the hierarchy of the government. Nowhere there is there mention of a state language.

Sure...but think about when the Founders were writing this...in 1790 80% of the country was composed of people whose ancestry came from England, Scotland, and parts of Ireland (i.e. English speakers). The remaining minorities, Germans, Dutch, French, and Swedes etc. were all multilingual and fluent enough English that even guys like Martin van Buren (whose first language was Dutch) could get on enough.

African slaves and the Indian tribes weren't even considered part of the nation.

Katganistan wrote:Indeed, this has always been a land of many languages

Many languages with one language in particularly overwhelmingly dominating and many of the early leaders of the country going on about how this is an "Anglo-Saxon nation".

Katganistan wrote:-- the indigenous peoples were here first had their own, the Dutch, French and Spanish had their own, as did German settlers, Italians, Chinese, even Russians when we bought Alaska. It's more than a bit disingenuous to suggest that English is and has always been the only language ever spoken here.

Literally no one suggested that. But you are incredibly blind if you are denying that English has been the majority language of this country since founding that the US and that this nation has always been identified as a core part of the Anglosphere. There is a very obvious reason why the US is not considered part of Hispanic America or the Francophonie. Our currency, founding documents, and greatest cultural outputs were almost invariably done in English. Most famous non-English cultural output in the US I can think of is probably Mardis Gras and Latin pop songs from modern times.

The song "Despacito" is the single most popular Spanish-language cultural output in American history, and even that is partially in English.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Katganistan wrote:It's not disingenuous at all. The Constitution, for example, enumerates the rights of the people and the hierarchy of the government. Nowhere there is there mention of a state language.

Sure...but think about when the Founders were writing this...in 1790 80% of the country was composed of people whose ancestry came from England, Scotland, and parts of Ireland (i.e. English speakers). The remaining minorities, Germans, Dutch, French, and Swedes etc. were all multilingual and fluent enough English that even guys like Martin van Buren (whose first language was Dutch) could get on enough.

African slaves and the Indian tribes weren't even considered part of the nation.

Many languages with one language in particularly overwhelmingly dominating and many of the early leaders of the country going on about how this is an "Anglo-Saxon nation".

Katganistan wrote:-- the indigenous peoples were here first had their own, the Dutch, French and Spanish had their own, as did German settlers, Italians, Chinese, even Russians when we bought Alaska. It's more than a bit disingenuous to suggest that English is and has always been the only language ever spoken here.

Literally no one suggested that. But you are incredibly blind if you are denying that English has been the majority language of this country since founding that the US and that this nation has always been identified as a core part of the Anglosphere. There is a very obvious reason why the US is not considered part of Hispanic America or the Francophonie. Our currency, founding documents, and greatest cultural outputs were almost invariably done in English. Most famous non-English cultural output in the US I can think of is probably Mardis Gras and Latin pop songs from modern times.

The song "Despacito" is the single most popular Spanish-language cultural output in American history, and even that is partially in English.

Only the Bieber version, which is shit, tbh. That song was written entirely in Spanish and the first version out was in Spanish for a Spanish speaking market.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Honestly, I don’t see many foreigners asking for accommodation regarding language from all the population. I personally don’t pretend monolingual people learn my language for my benefit. That’s silly. No. What I really would like is not to get yelled at by a Karen or ManKaren for speaking my language when I’m with either my family or Spanish speaking friends in public. Mainly because me using my first language a) has absolutely nothing to do with them, it’s none of their business as they’re strangers to me and, b) speaking a different language is not a crime. If hearing a different language spoken makes them anxious, that’s their problem and they need to deal with it. Simple.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Why is it bad that they speak another language?

I am supposedly in my country and there are areas that that feel like I have hopped the border. It is a cultural clash, it makes others extremely uncomfortable and is by its very nature a divisive act, simply because the other person literally cannot understand you.

It being "your" country does not mean that you own it, or that anyone else in the country is obligated to make you feel better about yourself.

You don't have to attribute your discomfort to "others." Be bold and say openly that it makes you uncomfortable rather than trying to deflect your views onto other people.

People speaking the language they were born learning is not "a divisive act." You not being the center of attention is not "divisive."
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Katganistan wrote:It's not disingenuous at all. The Constitution, for example, enumerates the rights of the people and the hierarchy of the government. Nowhere there is there mention of a state language.

While people in Ireland, Scotland, and Wales do speak English, they also have their own native languages and dialects as well.

Bear Stearns wrote:African slaves and the Indian tribes weren't even considered part of the nation.

That does not mean they weren't here. While most slaves form Africa adopted English, there were some that were first generation slaves that kept their original tongues. One great example is Omar ibn Said, who was an Islamic scholar in the early 1800s before he was abducted from his home and enslaved, and despite being enslaved learned little English and continued to write about history and theology in Arabic, as well as an memoir/autobiography. On a side note: this kind of reminds me of how some people will tell other to speak proper English to racial minorities speaking African-American Vernacular English, which is a dialect of English with its own grammatical rules and so on, but still a completely legitimate English dialect. For anyone interested here is a list of English dialects: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_dialects_of_English . In addition, several languages have developed here or have been here just as long, if not longer than English. An example of a language that developed here over two centuries ago is Martha's Vineyard Sign Language (Martha's Vineyard was a town in Massachusetts, which is now mainly known for being a vacation spot for Presidents, where they had a high rate of hereditary deafness and was known as a town where everyone signed), or American Sign Language which was based off of French Sign Language.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:09 pm

Cisairse wrote:
I am supposedly in my country and there are areas that that feel like I have hopped the border. It is a cultural clash, it makes others extremely uncomfortable and is by its very nature a divisive act, simply because the other person literally cannot understand you.

It being "your" country does not mean that you own it, or that anyone else in the country is obligated to make you feel better about yourself.

You don't have to attribute your discomfort to "others." Be bold and say openly that it makes you uncomfortable rather than trying to deflect your views onto other people.

People speaking the language they were born learning is not "a divisive act." You not being the center of attention is not "divisive."

Exactly the fucking point. Thanks.
Slava Ukraini

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Cisairse wrote:It being "your" country does not mean that you own it, or that anyone else in the country is obligated to make you feel better about yourself.

Exactly the fucking point. Thanks.

Agreed and Seconded
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Ashkera
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:53 pm

They are not obligated to accommodate you. Most will try, but as you said, misunderstandings can happen.

So here's an idea - the United States is not obligated to accept immigrants. They aren't obligated to "accommodate" foreigners. They are allowed, if they so wish, to impose a language requirement. There is nothing absurd about a unified political entity all speaking one language, or all being required to know one language.

It's a means of synchronizing culture and governance such that governance has greater overall legitimacy as the new cultural equilibrium can be reached with fewer barriers.
Last edited by Ashkera on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If hearing a different language spoken makes them anxious, that’s their problem and they need to deal with it. Simple.

Maybe if Leftists weren't stirring the pot of collective racial moral liability, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Just sayin'.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:If hearing a different language spoken makes them anxious, that’s their problem and they need to deal with it. Simple.

Maybe if Leftists weren't stirring the pot of collective racial moral liability, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Just sayin'.

So, leftists supporting immigration somehow encourages people to belittle others for their national origin? That's asinine, I mean, really, how could anyone equate the two?

Ashkera wrote:

They are not obligated to accommodate you. Most will try, but as you said, misunderstandings can happen.

So here's an idea - the United States is not obligated to accept immigrants. They aren't obligated to "accommodate" foreigners. They are allowed, if they so wish, to impose a language requirement. There is nothing absurd about a unified political entity all speaking one language, or all being required to know one language.

It's a means of synchronizing culture and governance such that governance has greater overall legitimacy as the new cultural equilibrium can be reached with fewer barriers.

We don't have a national language. And in most cases where people are shouting "Go Home" or "Learn English," the person they're heckling is often either speaking English with an accent or speaking broken English because they're in the process of learning it. If you don't want to accommodate immigrants, you're entitled to whatever strange belief system that is, but at least respect people for the fucking effort.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Ashkera wrote:

The United States also isn't obligated to listen to your opinions.

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Ashkera wrote:

There are communities in the U.S. where practically no one speaks English, many of which predate the U.S.

As for those saying that it makes them feel alien in their own home countries, these communities are not invaders, should they not be allowed to speak their preferred language in their home towns.

As for those saying that immigrants or visitors should speak English in public, no they should be under no more obligation to speak English in public than an American who is primarily English-speaking would be required to speak English (I doubt I would get any complaints if I chose to speak Hawaiian, or German, or Japanese, or French, or Russian, or Amharic, or Hebrew, or Gaelic, or any other language with friends as a white American, so why should it be any different for immigrants, non-white Americans, visitors, non-citizen residents, etc...).

To those arguing we need a common language for society unity, rubbish. The majority of states, even if they have one or two official languages, are societies with multiple languages, just go to wikipedia and look up 12 different nations, and you will probably find several of them have multiple languages commonly spoken (and will have between 1-3 official languages and several other languages that aren't official but still spoken commonly). I am not saying that there aren't states that speak overwhelming a single language, just that it is not necessary to be a mono-lingual society to have social cohesion. English itself has diversity, but we don't say that it interferes with social cohesion that some people speak one dialect of English vs another.

The U.S. should embrace its diversity instead of trying to demonize it. Trying to force people to only speak English in public is either ignorant, not thought out, or xenophobic (or all three).

P.S. conservative estimates suggest that there are about 4000 living languages today, but we only have about 200 states, if each state could only speak one or two languages, even if we pretended that every state would have only unique languages, where are the speakers of the other 3000+ languages suppose to exist.
Last edited by Mirjt on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:For background. I’ve seen increased instances of people in the US going off on others for speaking a language other than English. I myself have had this problem too, of an American angrily telling me to stop speaking Spanish and speak English as I’m in the US. Spanish however is not the only language spoken than sometimes gets some Americans angry. Mandarin, Korean, Tagalog, French, among others can set some people off.

The times I’ve cared to asked why they’re getting upset, the answer I usually get is “because illegal immigrants...” Particularly when Spanish is involved. But you see, in many of these instances I’ve seen and personally experienced, the people involved are legally in the country. Legal residents, like myself, or legally in the US as students.

When these people are called up on their behavior, the stuff that comes out is glaring and full of hate. But, is the actual drive a concern about illegal immigration or is it something deeper and darker? What say you, NSG?

In the instances that it’s happened to me, I don’t think it’s a concern about illegal immigration. That’s my perception at least.

Note: more often than not, you will get others to intervene and shut up the offender, which is still a relief to see or witness, btw.

Note 2: one answer I got was that the person thought I was talking about them. I had to laugh and condescendingly ask them if they though they were the center of the universe or something.

I don't have a problem with people speaking another language. I DO have a problem with people who approach me, and then get pissed off that I don't speak their language. I also hate when people get pissed off when they ask me directions to their destination and I don't know how to get there. A lot of things people (that I don't know) do irritate me.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Kedri
Ambassador

Founded: May 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kedri » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

One can argue that the fact that the Constitution was written in English is, in a way, establishing an official language.
Kedri is a nation of 18th century pirates who know water-bending. Throw in some steampunk, as well. Tech level is PT/FanT.
Kedrians abandon piracy and become a modernized country, founded by reformed criminals who forsook piracy and the citizens are descended from pirates, and still retain some of their heritage such as speech, accent, politics.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Kedri wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

One can argue that the fact that the Constitution was written in English is, in a way, establishing an official language.

According to Trump it's written in another language.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Ashkera wrote:

Why would we do that though? It would be contrary to our culture, and much better for everyone of quality to be multilingual than to attempt to haughtily enforce a single language.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:42 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Ashkera wrote:So here's an idea - the United States is not obligated to accept immigrants. They aren't obligated to "accommodate" foreigners. They are allowed, if they so wish, to impose a language requirement. There is nothing absurd about a unified political entity all speaking one language, or all being required to know one language.

Why would we do that though? It would be contrary to our culture, and much better for everyone of quality to be multilingual than to attempt to haughtily enforce a single language.

It’s contrary to the entire history of America. This never has been and it never will be an “English-only” country. Trying to impose one official language on a country based upon freedom of speech is like shoving a stake through your own brain.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Kedri wrote:

"Ugh big words hurt my brain. Can someone translate this into a language people can understand?"
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Cisairse wrote:

"Ugh big words hurt my brain. Can someone translate this into a language people can understand?"

This actually happened:
With LED lights on stilts in front of him, Trump took his seat. “You’re lucky you got the easy part,” Pelosi told him cheerfully. “It gets complicated after this.” But the president stumbled, trying to get out the words in the arcane, stilted form the founding fathers had written. Trump grew irritated. “It’s very hard to do because of the language here,” Trump told the crew. “It’s very hard to get through that whole thing without a stumble.” He added, “It’s like a different language, right?” The cameraman tried to calm Trump, telling him it was no big deal, to take a moment and start over. Trump tried again, but again remarked, “It’s like a foreign language.”
Every time he stumbled, he manufactured something to blame people,” another person in the room recalled. “He never said, ‘Sorry, I’m messing this up.’ [Other] people would screw up and say, ‘Ohhhh, I’m sorry.’ They would be self-effacing. He was making up excuses and saying there were distracting sounds.… He was definitely blaming everyone for his inability to get through it. That was prickly, or childish.” Though stiff, he eventually made it through without any errors.
Last edited by Cisairse on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ashkera
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkera » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:19 pm

Major-Tom wrote:So, leftists supporting immigration somehow encourages people to belittle others for their national origin? That's asinine, I mean, really, how could anyone equate the two?

Yes, because it accompanies Leftist pro-racial pro-ethnic identitarianism that encourages people to view the races and ethnic groups within the country as fundamentally in conflict, down to the slightest of social interactions ("microaggressions"), and Leftist anti-assimilation ideology, and Leftist support for collective racial moral liability across generations.

When you think you're going to be held morally liable based not on your individual actions but based on your race, it makes you more attached to your race - this is why minority groups have advocacy organizations like the NAACP, but it also applies to the racial majority. Who told the racial majority to go meditate on their racial identity? Not the conservatives (this time).

We don't have a national language. And in most cases where people are shouting "Go Home" or "Learn English," the person they're heckling is often either speaking English with an accent or speaking broken English because they're in the process of learning it.

I've never shouted at anyone to "go home" for not speaking English. Now admit that wanting to have a national language isn't racist.

Cisairse wrote:The United States also isn't obligated to listen to your opinions.

Flooding a sector of the economy drives down wages there, right? Supply and Demand? So if I added a million dentists to the US, those desperate dentists would work for cheap because if they don't some other dentist will charge less, right?

Who do you think mass immigration of workers with, at most, a high school education, who don't speak English, increases the competition for?

Do you think it increases the competition for upper-middle class, mostly white college graduates working in prestige positions that require networking? Or is it more likely that it increases the competition to - and therefore lowers the wages of - the historically disadvantaged minority groups that have the least family wealth, the least access to education, no connections to elite institutions, and so on?

So let me ask you something - why am I obligated to listen to any pro-immigration advocate's ideas on what's "racist" unless that pro-immigration advocate favors a points-based system which will increase our historically disadvantaged minority groups' customers instead of their competitors? At least, shouldn't I wait until after the schools have been fixed for 20 years so that the competition is more fair?

Mirjt wrote:The U.S. should embrace its diversity instead of trying to demonize it.

Are we talking "diverse" like Vietnamese fusion restaurants, or "diverse" like the Rotherham CSE scandal? I think we need a more diverse view of diversity and its impact on political economy. The conventional view focuses solely on quantity of diversity while discounting quality of diversity. I'm not seeing a lot of signs that I can trust you to implement diversity in a way that recognizes its diversity.

Trying to force people to only speak English in public is either ignorant, not thought out, or xenophobic (or all three).

I'm not trying to force people to speak only English in public. I'm saying your guys are out of line and you need to get them back in line.

The Emerald Legion wrote:Why would we do that though? It would be contrary to our culture, and much better for everyone of quality to be multilingual than to attempt to haughtily enforce a single language.

There's a serious upper limit on the number of languages that one person can learn, and for some people that limit is much lower than it is for others. The country needs an official language everyone knows, even if people also speak Korean to their Korean grandmother.

Cultures can't be too far apart or they'll want to have different laws. Sharing a language helps cultures unify, reconcile, and work through their differences.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Ashkera wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:So, leftists supporting immigration somehow encourages people to belittle others for their national origin? That's asinine, I mean, really, how could anyone equate the two?

Yes, because it accompanies Leftist pro-racial pro-ethnic identitarianism that encourages people to view the races and ethnic groups within the country as fundamentally in conflict, down to the slightest of social interactions ("microaggressions"), and Leftist anti-assimilation ideology, and Leftist support for collective racial moral liability across generations.

When you think you're going to be held morally liable based not on your individual actions but based on your race, it makes you more attached to your race - this is why minority groups have advocacy organizations like the NAACP, but it also applies to the racial majority. Who told the racial majority to go meditate on their racial identity? Not the conservatives (this time).

We don't have a national language. And in most cases where people are shouting "Go Home" or "Learn English," the person they're heckling is often either speaking English with an accent or speaking broken English because they're in the process of learning it.

I've never shouted at anyone to "go home" for not speaking English. Now admit that wanting to have a national language isn't racist.

Cisairse wrote:The United States also isn't obligated to listen to your opinions.

Flooding a sector of the economy drives down wages there, right? Supply and Demand? So if I added a million dentists to the US, those desperate dentists would work for cheap because if they don't some other dentist will charge less, right?

Who do you think mass immigration of workers with, at most, a high school education, who don't speak English, increases the competition for?

Do you think it increases the competition for upper-middle class, mostly white college graduates working in prestige positions that require networking? Or is it more likely that it increases the competition to - and therefore lowers the wages of - the historically disadvantaged minority groups that have the least family wealth, the least access to education, no connections to elite institutions, and so on?

So let me ask you something - why am I obligated to listen to any pro-immigration advocate's ideas on what's "racist" unless that pro-immigration advocate favors a points-based system which will increase our historically disadvantaged minority groups' customers instead of their competitors? At least, shouldn't I wait until after the schools have been fixed for 20 years so that the competition is more fair?

Mirjt wrote:The U.S. should embrace its diversity instead of trying to demonize it.

Are we talking "diverse" like Vietnamese fusion restaurants, or "diverse" like the Rotherham CSE scandal? I think we need a more diverse view of diversity and its impact on political economy. The conventional view focuses solely on quantity of diversity while discounting quality of diversity. I'm not seeing a lot of signs that I can trust you to implement diversity in a way that recognizes its diversity.

Trying to force people to only speak English in public is either ignorant, not thought out, or xenophobic (or all three).

I'm not trying to force people to speak only English in public. I'm saying your guys are out of line and you need to get them back in line.

The Emerald Legion wrote:Why would we do that though? It would be contrary to our culture, and much better for everyone of quality to be multilingual than to attempt to haughtily enforce a single language.

There's a serious upper limit on the number of languages that one person can learn, and for some people that limit is much lower than it is for others. The country needs an official language everyone knows, even if people also speak Korean to their Korean grandmother.

Cultures can't be too far apart or they'll want to have different laws. Sharing a language helps cultures unify, reconcile, and work through their differences.

You’d have a point if anyone here was arguing that it’s bad to have a national language. I don’t think any foreigner wants preferential treatment when it comes to language either. You already facilitate government forms in several languages. I also encourage people who come from other countries to learn the more widely spoken language in the US. I don’t have a problem if the US were to choose English as it’s official language either. That’s not my issue. My issue is with people who get all hot and bothered because they heard someone else speaking a different language around them and react by insulting these people. Maybe if that wasn’t your knee jerk reaction, people wouldn’t be pointing this out. (Not you personally) But it is so here we are.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

MGTOWia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby MGTOWia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Hmm, could it be that many American citizens want to continue living in the English-speaking American culture, and expect foreigners who come here intending to remain to assimilate into that culture?

Yep. Think so.
"The more money you make, the more women you should avoid." -- YouTube user Anubis_X64

"Wokeness is a disease. MGTOW is the cure."

"Love: (n) the mechanism the human species has evolved to keep males and females from killing each other long enough to produce and raise offspring."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General