NATION

PASSWORD

Statue of man who instituted Scouts Movement to be removed.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 am

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
Thanatttynia wrote:Our opponents won't be happy til the world is a massive airport, no inch distinguishable from the next. These are the opening stages of an attack on human culture in general.

If everything is sterile and you lose your identity and place you're much easier to control.

What a sad condemnation of British culture if all they have are statues of some people I didn't know existed until now.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:11 am

Cekoviu wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:
Only if they are adored and revered. The true 'idols' in our age are the so-called celebrities of entertainment and popular culture. Wilde was an idol in his age before he was torn down by his criminal behaviour.

The entire point of statues is to show reverence for the person whom they depict.

No, the statue represents the reverence with which the person it depicts is held.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:13 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:The entire point of statues is to show reverence for the person whom they depict.

No, the statue represents the reverence with which the person it depicts is held.

Either way, the statue represents something that is not good, so the consequence should be the same.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:15 am

Valrifell wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Ban statues.

Alternatively, make a statue for every person who's ever lived and is currently alive.

In a sense yes. Before long there will be the technology to morph statues from one person to another. Lots more people could get a turn. In a small town, everyone in town could get a turn, say on their birthday.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am

Valrifell wrote:
Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:If everything is sterile and you lose your identity and place you're much easier to control.

What a sad condemnation of British culture if all they have are statues of some people I didn't know existed until now.

Those are just small steps, when it's everyday that fairly inoffensive statues get taken down then you can start reducing culture in other ways.

When Christians came to prominence in Rome statues and depictions of traditional deities were destroyed. You can't say that the tearing down of statues doesn't mean or symbolise anything.
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Alternatively, make a statue for every person who's ever lived and is currently alive.

In a sense yes. Before long there will be the technology to morph statues from one person to another. Lots more people could get a turn. In a small town, everyone in town could get a turn, say on their birthday.

ok but what if someone is too ugly for a statue of them to be publicly displayed without causing a townwide blindness epidemic

asking for a friend
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:17 am

Earthbound Immortal Squad wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Wasn't there an issue where your leader gets 10's thousands of statues and you have to decided what to do with them?

Build a pyramid to honor dear leader. Enormous pile of rusting statues, that should make them proud!

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 am

Valrifell wrote:
Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:If everything is sterile and you lose your identity and place you're much easier to control.

'First they came for the statues' etc.
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 am

Cekoviu wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

ok but what if someone is too ugly for a statue of them to be publicly displayed without causing a townwide blindness epidemic

asking for a friend

What makes you think I'm the kind to discriminate? Even serving felons would get a turn being the statue.

I guess people could opt out, if they're really ashamed of their body or their contribution to society. Wouldn't want to humiliate anyone.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Cekoviu wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:

Either way, the statue represents something that is not good, so the consequence should be the same.

is it proven that he was a pedophile and a warcriminal?
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

North American Environmental Alliance
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby North American Environmental Alliance » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Reminds me of the removal of Confederate statues in America. Brings tears to my eyes seeing culture and history be removed.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am

Thanatttynia wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

'First they came for the statues' etc.

No it's ...

"first them came for the water fountains, and I said nothing because eww lead"
"then they came for the public garbage bins, and I said nothing because terrorists"
"then they came for the statues, and I said nothing because Colston was a knobhead"
"then they came for me, and there was no-one to poison, blow up or enslave my oppressors"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Either way, the statue represents something that is not good, so the consequence should be the same.

I think anyone who dedicates his later life to trying to do something good for young boys, is going to get accused of pedophilia.

Caring about other people's children is just suspicious, to some.

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 am

Loben The 2nd wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Either way, the statue represents something that is not good, so the consequence should be the same.

People who deal in lies have said he was a pedophile, a hater of homosexuals, and a war criminal.

Historians, who deal in primary sources of information, have said the allegations are unfounded.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 am

State of Turelisa wrote:
Loben The 2nd wrote:

People who deal in lies have said he was a pedophile, a hater of homosexuals, and a war criminal.

Historians, who deal in primary sources of information, have said the allegations are unfounded.

Scouts aren't controversial anywhere but the US, largely because most Scouts gave up gender segregation a while ago.

So I'm guessing the attacks on Baden Powell come mostly from the US?

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:50 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:

Scouts aren't controversial anywhere but the US, largely because most Scouts gave up gender segregation a while ago.

Nothing in the news about anything like that. (Eagle Scout here.)
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:52 am

The statue is not going to be removed.
Everything is intertwinkled

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:54 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:

The only vocal opposition to him is represented by the British Left in politics, academia, journalism, entertainment and activist groups.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The statue is not going to be removed.

'Cllr Mark Howell, the council's deputy leader, says the removal of the statue has now been delayed because its foundations were "deeper than originally envisaged".'

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 am

This guy was such a Nazi that his movement was banned in Nazi germany and he was in the Nazi's black book.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Brettenwald wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Nothing in the news about anything like that. (Eagle Scout here.)

Are you seriously telling me you missed the controversy about Boy Scouts not allowing openly gay leaders?

Well I guess you must have been a boy then :p

The Ambassadors Reception
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ambassadors Reception » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:04 pm

I just received the following email from the heads of the scouts in the UK.
(FYI, I'm just on a fundraising committee, which takes up about 4 hours a year of my time.)

Dear all,

Many of you will have seen the media reports about the possible removal of the statue of Robert Baden-Powell, the Founder of the global Scout movement, from Poole Quay, in Dorset.

The intention, we understand, is to avoid damage to the statue as the important debate continues around the role of historical figures, following Black Lives Matters protests across the world. This is a vital moment to have honest conversations, acknowledge the huge strength of feeling and renew our commitment to education and understanding with empathy and humility.

As Scouts we stand together against racism, always. Inclusion and acceptance are at the heart of our values, and we are not afraid to call out racist language or behaviour.

We strongly support the principles of Black Lives Matter and also stand with those affected by racism. We are a movement that inspires openness, kindness, understanding and the power of community and friendship.

In the summer of 1907, a new movement was born on Brownsea Island, in Poole harbour Dorset – one that would bring skills, kindness and courage to millions around the world. It was here that Robert Baden-Powell founded the Scouts by taking a small group of young people from diverse backgrounds to live and work together. Their aim was to learn about the great outdoors, work in teams, and show we had more in common than divides us. Since that first camp, Scouting has grown, year on year, to become today a worldwide family, some 54 million strong, in almost every nation on earth. It is, without doubt, one of the greatest youth movements in history.

But it’s right that we make time to listen, educate ourselves, and reflect on history - acknowledging where there are times when views and actions from the past do not match those values we live by today. It’s also right that we do not make any accusations or form any conclusions without the facts. These are the foundations of an open and honest debate about our society’s past and future.

Baden-Powell was a complex figure, with changing and sometimes contradictory views that often reflected his time. We would never attempt to defend or agree with everything he did or said. However it’s obvious from the last 100 years, that Scouts has the power to unite people in a spirit of mutual friendship and respect and has become the greatest youth movement the world has ever seen.

For generations, the Scout movement has brought millions of young people together from different cultures and backgrounds to promote friendship, cooperation and understanding. This happens at a community level across the UK, and at a global level at World Scout Jamborees and international camps. We are proud to build bridges between communities.

As a movement, we’re also proud to support young people from every community in the UK, helping them develop values of integrity, respect, belief, care and cooperation.

To actively support our members, we have created and shared guidance and resources to help parents and volunteers to have conversations about racism with young people. This is a first step in helping give our members the skills, confidence and courage to challenge racism and other behaviours that go against our values as Scouts.

To be clear, there is no place for prejudice or discrimination of any kind in Scouts. Instead we actively celebrate the diversity of our members’ backgrounds, talents, thought and abilities that makes Scouting the vibrant community it is today.

As Scouts, we must all continue to listen and reflect on how we live up to our values and strive to do better.

Thank you for your own example, living and sharing our values.

The email includes a link to the resources they mention.

Thanatttynia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm

They're too scared to defend statues of their founder lol. This is like the Poetry Foundation debacle, these distinguished institutions have no chance with baby's-first-bureaucrats running them

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanatttynia wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The statue is not going to be removed.

'Cllr Mark Howell, the council's deputy leader, says the removal of the statue has now been delayed because its foundations were "deeper than originally envisaged".'

and a "good job, fucktard." to that gentleman.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm

The Ambassadors Reception wrote:
In the summer of 1907, a new movement was born on Brownsea Island, in Poole harbour Dorset – one that would bring skills, kindness and courage to millions around the world. It was here that Robert Baden-Powell founded the Scouts by taking a small group of young people from diverse backgrounds to live and work together.

It's all very nice but I this particular usage of "young people" annoys me a bit. They were boys. Scouts were all boys for quite a while.
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General