NATION

PASSWORD

Erdogan turns Ayasofya museum into a place of worship

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the Ayasofya museum be opened for worship ?

Yes
19%
No
72%
Unstable
9%

Total votes : 177

MC United
Envoy

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby MC United » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:12 pm

It is a misfortune of history that Russia was unable to liberate Constantinople.

Erdogan is a neo-Ottoman wannabe sultan and an enemy of Western civilization and all Christians. And the fact that he keeps getting re-elected shows that Ataturk ultimately failed. Another misfortune of history.
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly." -- Michel de Montaigne

"A woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke." -- Kipling

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." -- Ecclesiastes 10:2.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:13 pm

MC United wrote:It is a misfortune of history that Russia was unable to liberate Constantinople.

Erdogan is a neo-Ottoman wannabe sultan and an enemy of Western civilization and all Christians. And the fact that he keeps getting re-elected shows that Ataturk ultimately failed. Another misfortune of history.

Erdogan is a genocidal dictator. Dude is like Turkish Hitler.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

-Astoria
Minister

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:40 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Erdogan is a genocidal dictator. Dude is like Turkish Hitler.

Nah; more along the lines of a Turkish Putin; given the many re-elections.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:49 pm

-Astoria wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Erdogan is a genocidal dictator. Dude is like Turkish Hitler.

Nah; more along the lines of a Turkish Putin; given the many re-elections.

Maybe he's Turkish Trump...if Trump didn't have an IQ of 0.4.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Appalling. In its current state the Hagia Sofia is an undisputed wonder of the world, a place like no other. When I visited Istanbul in 2018 I ended up going to that place twice because of what an awe-inspiring place it is. Turning it into a place of worship would destroy part of what makes it so special.

Not to mention that the Blue Mosque is right across the square from it and is also an active place of worship, the old city doesn't need another (and maybe the Blue Mosque could have been really cool to see more of if it wasn't subject to all those arbitrary rules its imams have put in place...).
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:
Kargintina the Third wrote:1000% certain Erdogan wants the Ottoman Empire back

Honestly? If he tries then the West has more than enough reason to revisit the Sevres Treaty. I’d love to see that day...
Those who signed the Sevres rag at the time were dreams of anti-republic homeland.Political Islamists love the Sevres rag

Rojava Free State wrote:
MC United wrote:It is a misfortune of history that Russia was unable to liberate Constantinople.

You do not really know what happened in Turkey

When you criticize Atatürk, first find out what he did, he is the savior of a nation, Great Leader Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
Last edited by Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum on Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 pm

One of these days, Hakinda, you ought to understand that you don't add gravitas to your posts by adding random pictures.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:33 pm

*angry Byzantine noises*

Alright boys and girls, if we're going to ride this apocalypse high then we may as well launch a crusade to take back Constantinople.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Agarntrop wrote:Wow, NSG agreeing on something?

Considering that Erdogan pissed off nearly everyone at some point in his rule...

South Reinkalistan wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Wow, NSG agreeing on something?

Woah, we can't have that! Quick, get an ultra-islamic radical in here to start praising Erdogan!

I think he pissed off the radicals too.

Rojava Free State wrote:What happened to you Turkey? You used to be fine and now you're a religious hellscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2e2yHjc_mc

Kargintina the Third wrote:1000% certain Erdogan wants the Ottoman Empire back

Yep.

Rojava Free State wrote:
Unstoppable Empire of Doom wrote:He's high on his victory over russia in the proxy war.

What victory? Assad has taken back almost all of Syria.

Oh you and your facts. They have no place in Erdogan's highness
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Shofercia wrote:I think he pissed off the radicals too.

Fuck. Who else is there?
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
" We will not bow to your dictation. We are free. We bled to be free.
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Erdogan's only way to retain his position of power is through continuing the de-seclarization and islamization of the Turkish state. Unfortunately for him, moves like this to throw red meat to supporters don't negate the free-falling Turkish economy, the astronomically laughable devaluation of their currency, and increasing opposition from his former supporters in the cities.

If he isn't voted out in the next several years, I fully expect a coup. He's holding onto straws.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Britannia Maior wrote:
Honestly? If he tries then the West has more than enough reason to revisit the Sevres Treaty. I’d love to see that day...
Those who signed the Sevres rag at the time were dreams of anti-republic homeland.Political Islamists love the Sevres rag

I’m more about the carving up Turkey bit like it’s Thanksgiving than anything else in the treaty.
| KINGDOM OF GREATER BRITAIN ᛫ God Save The King
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Shofercia wrote:I think he pissed off the radicals too.

Fuck. Who else is there?

Not sure.

Major-Tom wrote:Erdogan's only way to retain his position of power is through continuing the de-seclarization and islamization of the Turkish state. Unfortunately for him, moves like this to throw red meat to supporters don't negate the free-falling Turkish economy, the astronomically laughable devaluation of their currency, and increasing opposition from his former supporters in the cities.

If he isn't voted out in the next several years, I fully expect a coup. He's holding onto straws.

Next election is 2023. Think he'll last that long? I have no idea, don't really follow Turkey.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:06 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Erdogan's only way to retain his position of power is through continuing the de-seclarization and islamization of the Turkish state. Unfortunately for him, moves like this to throw red meat to supporters don't negate the free-falling Turkish economy, the astronomically laughable devaluation of their currency, and increasing opposition from his former supporters in the cities.

Aren’t the vast majority of Turks behind him? At least up until recently?
He’s a strongman politician, like Putin, so he has to keep up that appearance to stay in power, but it’s working against him.
PMT Great Britain under a National Statist/Renovationist regime, dedicated to upholding Euro-American hegemony in a seemingly eternal Cold War - and spying on you.

| The Times |

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:

No that be Nihal Atsiz.

Seriously, look at his face.

:twisted:
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:10 pm

Nakena wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

No that be Nihal Atsiz.

Holy shit, he really does look like Hitler.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Nakena wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

No that be Nihal Atsiz.

That’s a face that would be very compatible with the butt of a rifle NGL.

| The Times |

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

He’s a strongman politician, like Putin, so he has to keep up that appearance to stay in power, but it’s working against him.

Nope: https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/art ... ogan-isn-t

While his approval rating fell during the early stages of the crisis, the latest survey by the Ankara-based research agency Metropoll shows Erdogan’s approval rating increased nearly 15 percentage points in the course of a month, from 41.1 percent in February to 55.8 percent in March. The main opposition Republican People’s Party, or CHP, did see some success in last year’s local elections, winning the mayoralties of the three biggest cities: Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir. But Turkey’s opposition remains divided and faces an uphill battle against an incumbent who will no doubt run for reelection by 2023 and has proven willing to put the full resources of the state at his disposal in order to stay in power, including by cracking down on independent journalists and activists.

A fickle majority at best. A vast majority is something that Putin usually enjoys: https://www.statista.com/statistics/896 ... ng-russia/

Putin's at 69% in 2020, as is typical for Putin's approval rating. Their approval ratings aren't even close.

The Justinian Horde
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Justinian Horde » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Its a Church not a Mosque. Hes a dumbass

Greenwichian Arcadia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenwichian Arcadia » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Foreigner here. Looks like a notable notion of de-secularization. When such a trick is pulled by the current government, it might be a bad sign.
US, Canada, obscure sci-fi plus weird sports = this.
NS stats are used (for now). Population is 231M.
Refer to canon NS policies when in doubt.
Set 50 years ago with 2020 tech.
A 6/0/5/16 nation.
Intgaming
ÆEEAADS!
[free space]
What I wish is totally irrelevant, what people wish really matters.
—Nicole Greenwich, the first PotC.

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:
Nakena wrote:
No that be Nihal Atsiz.

More compatible with the barrel, IMO.
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL
Who are you to tell us what we may and may not do? We stopped being your slaves an era ago. "
South Reinkalistan is a massive, ecologically-diverse nation notable for its roving student militias and widespread hatred for the elderly.
In the midst of a room-temperature cultural revolution that's lost its momentum, the Party carefully plans its next move.
As the brittle bones of fragile empires begin to crack beneath their own weight, history's symphony reaches crescendo pitch. The future is all but certain.

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Britannia Maior wrote:

Nope: https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/art ... ogan-isn-t

While his approval rating fell during the early stages of the crisis, the latest survey by the Ankara-based research agency Metropoll shows Erdogan’s approval rating increased nearly 15 percentage points in the course of a month, from 41.1 percent in February to 55.8 percent in March. The main opposition Republican People’s Party, or CHP, did see some success in last year’s local elections, winning the mayoralties of the three biggest cities: Istanbul, Ankara and Izmir. But Turkey’s opposition remains divided and faces an uphill battle against an incumbent who will no doubt run for reelection by 2023 and has proven willing to put the full resources of the state at his disposal in order to stay in power, including by cracking down on independent journalists and activists.

A fickle majority at best. A vast majority is something that Putin usually enjoys: https://www.statista.com/statistics/896 ... ng-russia/

Putin's at 69% in 2020, as is typical for Putin's approval rating. Their approval ratings aren't even close.

It seems there’s some hope for the anti-Erdogan crowd. That’s good, I hope to see him gone by ‘23.

Putin’s probably going to last a much longer time, but I feel he might try and aid Erdogan, especially given the latter’s new alignment with Moscow.

| The Times |

Britannia Maior
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Britannia Maior » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:

More compatible with the barrel, IMO.

Eh, butt-beating makes the little skull on my cap happy, which makes me happy, lmao.

| The Times |

South Reinkalistan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby South Reinkalistan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Britannia Maior wrote:
South Reinkalistan wrote:More compatible with the barrel, IMO.

Eh, butt-beating makes the little skull on my cap happy, which makes me happy, lmao.

But the barrel is less effort and more effective. I thought this was about RESULTS!
THE PEOPLE ETERNAL

Polish Prussian Commonwealth
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Polish Prussian Commonwealth » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:20 pm

Alright that's it.

Russian-Armenian-Greek-Syrian-Kurdish partition of Turkey.
Last edited by Polish Prussian Commonwealth on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Furthermore, I submit that Carthage NSG must be destroyed." t. Marcus Porcius Cato

IC name is "Blauveldt-Ryszana".

A traumatized, but recovering, MT-Early PMT/FanT constitutional monarchy consisting of a personal and constitutional union of two Realms. Features: near-universal gun ownership, governmental dysfunction, terrified Christinaslander Air National Guard personnel counting down the days until they rotate back home, and an eternal standoff with the last of it's former oppressors.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General