NATION

PASSWORD

The Food Discussion Thread I

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Raw onions are an acquired taste. If you cook them down until they're caramelized and soft and nice, they're wonderful. Patty melts, yeah!

Definitely not my cup of tea

A little bit of onions in burgers? Sure I’ll bite.

But to specifically seek out raw onions to eat? Nah. :(

Reminds me of a guy I watch on Youtube that actually ate raw onions. Skin and all. It was for a skit but it did give him an infection.

Farnhamia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Ever been to a sit down pizza hut?

Bill De Blasio's mayoralty in NYC was doomed when he was seen eating pizza with a knife and a fork.

Can excuse the pizza being eaten with utensils if hot, but you have to move to hands sometime later.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:44 pm

Mirjt wrote:I am honestly shocked not more people are praising french onion soup.

I love mushroom soup creamy better.Although it also has onions and is a French dish.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:Maybe that’s why it isn’t being praised.

(The name)

(Onions. I hate them)

Raw onions are an acquired taste. If you cook them down until they're caramelized and soft and nice, they're wonderful. Patty melts, yeah!

IDK if caramelised onions are something I would be hyped about. I don’t like caramel : p
johnathan

Mirjt
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Raw onions are an acquired taste. If you cook them down until they're caramelized and soft and nice, they're wonderful. Patty melts, yeah!

IDK if caramelised onions are something I would be hyped about. I don’t like caramel : p

Caramelizing actually does not have anything to do with caramel, it a term for browning an ingredient.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)
I'm on an SSRI anti-depressant now.

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:52 pm

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Reminds me of a guy I watch on Youtube that actually ate raw onions. Skin and all. It was for a skit but it did give him an infection.

Eating raw onions would only give someone an infection if the surface they'd been on wasn't clean, or the person's hands weren't clean, of if they'd been stored unhygienically.

Eating raw onion, unless you have an intolerance or are on certain medications that conflict, is perfectly healthy.

EDIT: That is to say, eating them sensibly is perfectly healthy (I missed the part about the person on youtube having eaten the skin)
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Mirjt wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:IDK if caramelised onions are something I would be hyped about. I don’t like caramel : p

Caramelizing actually does not have anything to do with caramel, it a term for browning an ingredient.

Oh those.

I hate them.
johnathan

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I’m shocked

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Has there ever been a more depressingly named food than Brown Windsor Soup? As exciting as drizzle.

I like French onion soup, minestrone, and tomato soup the most. Although I haven't tried most of the options in the poll.
Everything is intertwinkled

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 am

Katganistan wrote:New England Clam Chowder.

Lobster Bisque.

Cream of Tomato (with a grilled cheese sandwich)

Minestrone.

Minskiev wrote:
Alright, so. It’s meat, a nice sweet and sorta heavy stock, and three vegetables: celery, bell peppers, and onions. Now, I personally hate peppers and onions, and I’m not a fan of celery, but you’re not forced to eat it with them. There’s different types of gumbo, obviously, such as shrimp gumbo, chicken gumbo, etc. Shrimp gumbo is very good, and I’ve had nice experiences with it. So, that’s gumbo. A good side-option for it is practically a lettuce and shrimp sub, called a po-boy. They go together very well.

You forgot the okra? How could you forget the okra?
The Blaatschapen wrote:The best soup I ever had was in New York. The guy who served, Yev Kassem, had quite strict rules though.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

He has a place on 54th street. His soup is pretty good.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Bill De Blasio's mayoralty in NYC was doomed when he was seen eating pizza with a knife and a fork.

Yet like foot odor, he is still here.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:41 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Raw onions?! They taste amazing! But yeah, it is better if you cook it with the pizza or saute them if you're putting em' on an omelette, liver, or in a burger.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:03 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Has there ever been a more depressingly named food than Brown Windsor Soup? As exciting as drizzle.

Maybe this?

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/1 ... sion-soup/

“1930s Depression Soup”? :)

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:10 am

Ahh Gumbo. One of the most versatile.

Seafood? Yes.
Chicken? Yes.
Pork? Yes.
Turkey? Yes.
Varied Sausages? Yes.
Okra? Yes.

Combination of any of the above? Hell yes.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 2 - 0 WSH | COL 1 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 2 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-19 | LSU 26-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-11

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Ahh Gumbo. One of the most versatile.

Seafood? Yes.
Chicken? Yes.
Pork? Yes.
Turkey? Yes.
Varied Sausages? Yes.
Okra? Yes.

Combination of any of the above? Hell yes.

Indeed

Few can challenge the gumbo in the realm of soup when we’re looking at versatility

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:44 pm

La xinga wrote:

Raw onions?! They taste amazing! But yeah, it is better if you cook it with the pizza or saute them if you're putting em' on an omelette, liver, or in a burger.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Atheris wrote:
La xinga wrote:Raw onions?! They taste amazing! But yeah, it is better if you cook it with the pizza or saute them if you're putting em' on an omelette, liver, or in a burger.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

:meh:

Why?

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:57 pm

La xinga wrote:
Atheris wrote:I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

:meh:

Why?

Onions are some of the worst things God has put on this beautiful Earth.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:14 pm

Atheris wrote:
La xinga wrote: :meh:

Why?

NO! There one if the best vegetables the Almighty has given!

I have onions with like, everything!

Pizza, liver, omelettes, burgers, etc, etc..

What's wrong with onions?

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Atheris wrote:
La xinga wrote: :meh:

Why?

Onions are an essential part for making so many dishes taste good.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Yes, about 30 years ago. I had to buy beer for my mom because she didn't drive and they wouldn't serve her without ID.

:lol2:

Went to a full sit down pizza hut in China. They had table cloths and everything a fine dining place would have. A shit ton of deserts too.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:40 pm

La xinga wrote:
Atheris wrote:Onions are some of the worst things God has put on this beautiful Earth.

NO! There one if the best vegetables the Almighty has given!

Slimy. Strong. Ugly. They don't taste good. I've found that in more cases than not they actually make a dish taste worse (from personal experience).
#FreeNSGRojava

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Atheris wrote:
La xinga wrote:NO! There one if the best vegetables the Almighty has given!

Slimy. Strong. Ugly. They don't taste good. I've found that in more cases than not they actually make a dish taste worse (from personal experience).

I’m just picky with onions, ever since I was a little kid really :)

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 pm

I am also picky with onions (and a number of foods actually). I recognize that onions are very useful in the process of cooking because of the interactions its chemical compounds have to enhance flavor, but if I were eating an onion on its own or as a topping, I wouldn't be able to stand it, it taste is too strong if you eat the vegetable itself (especially when raw), and when cooked it becomes too slimy (though I recognize the importance to caramelizing/browning to get the full flavor out of the onions for things like soups). That is why after the broth is cooked, I take onions out of french onion soup (which I still maintain is one of the most tasty soups in existence), that is why I remove onions from steak, or liver, or salad, etc... I don't even bother using whole onions sometimes on meat dishes or chili and just use onion powder. I also cannot stand onion rings, they have always been disgusting to me.
About Me | RL Politics | Likes/Dislikes (WIP) | Mirjt's Stance on NS Stats | Mirjt's Factbooks
I'm back from my break from NationStates (though I may take another at any time)

“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” ― Eugene V. Debs

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:54 am

Are soups made mixed with instant ready to drink powder and hot water considered a travesty?
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mirjt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mirjt » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:Are soups made mixed with instant ready to drink powder and hot water considered a travesty?

I can imagine a lot of people would think it is a travesty because it isn't being made with fresh ingredients prepared with the utmost care, but I am of the opinion that you can make a good dish regardless of the format the food is in. If the soup has good ingredients and tastes good then I don't mind if it was powdered first. In fact some people prefer that - here is a link to an article praising the "Better than Bouillon" brand of powdered soups: https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advic ... th-article
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Sorry, hit edit and not quote.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General