NATION

PASSWORD

The Food Discussion Thread I

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Port Spratly
Attaché

Founded: Feb 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Port Spratly » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:27 am

Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I don't really eat soup and noodles that much, but ironically, I really do have a thing for Nissin's Instant Noodles, particularly Laksa flavor.

So there's Ramen, Tom Yum, and Laksa for me whenever there is soup!

-----

On the non-Asian side, I do quite like a taste of the mushroom soup, though I don't particular drink that too often.

-----

Does rice porridge count? That one dreadful thing I have to eat when my sense of smell and taste are botched from a fever. I don't like it. >,<

Laksa is 1000000000% goodness :bow:

Agree, also there are a ton of a different kind of laksa (e.g. laksa Singapore, laksa penang, laksa sarawak, lakso, thai laksa, laksa bogor, laksa tangerang, etc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laksa

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:36 am

Katganistan wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Does anyone eat oysters?Roasted oysters or eat oysters raw

I've had them breaded and fried, and raw on the half shell.
I prefer raw, but you need to know they are very fresh and from a reputable source.

In the restaurant next to the fishing port,fresh oysters just caught!
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:02 am

Had some Marmite-flavoured Walkers crisps today. They were quite nice. I've been eating Twiglets for decades, and these were very similar. Maybe slightly less strong than Twiglets though, Twiglets have more of a kick to them.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 am

Shazbotdom wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
What sort of food do they serve?

Interested to see what sort of fusions they created.

It's a Japanese/Cajun Fusion.

Sounds nice, I can already imagine the selection of dishes they’d serve.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:22 am

When I hear of Chicken Noodle Soup I think about the collab between J-Hope (BTS) and Becky G
Last edited by Glenbrook on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenbrook | "parare Domino plebem perfectam"
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 am

Katganistan wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:Does anyone eat oysters?Roasted oysters or eat oysters raw

I've had them breaded and fried, and raw on the half shell.
I prefer raw, but you need to know they are very fresh and from a reputable source.

This, with a squirt of lemon
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I've had them breaded and fried, and raw on the half shell.

This, with a squirt of lemon

I got raw oysters from a carnival cruise. They had butter & mace, and apple mignonette. So good!
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Port Spratly wrote:
Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:Laksa is 1000000000% goodness :bow:

Agree, also there are a ton of a different kind of laksa (e.g. laksa Singapore, laksa penang, laksa sarawak, lakso, thai laksa, laksa bogor, laksa tangerang, etc)

I don't really know any other type of laksa but the type I usually eat would probably be counted as Singapore laksa.
The soup is just perfection.
Glenbrook wrote:When I hear of Chicken Noodle Soup I think about the collab between SUGA (BTS) and Becky G

It was j-hope
johnathan

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Twicetagram and JYPE wrote:
Port Spratly wrote:

I don't really know any other type of laksa but the type I usually eat would probably be counted as Singapore laksa.
The soup is just perfection.
Glenbrook wrote:When I hear of Chicken Noodle Soup I think about the collab between SUGA (BTS) and Becky G

It was j-hope

Oops I got mixed up with Daechitwa
stan LOONA

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 pm

Port Spratly wrote:
The Yellow Emperor wrote:

Lanzhou Beef Noodle soup is my #1 number one dish... but likewise, I'll have try my girlfriend's Fuzhou cuisine one day :P

Fuzhou also notable for its fishball,other than that in Putian, Fujian they also has henghua noodles (興化面). I personally like henghua noodles.

That's also a nice dish too! My gf has told me that "no meal without noodle soup, or excluding soup is unacceptable!" :lol2: Again... I should try the Fishball again... But I want my Lanzhou noodle soup first :p Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

Here's one great article -- Chinese Food for Dummies, Region by Region and another great article on China's Food Types

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:00 pm

The Yellow Emperor wrote:
Port Spratly wrote:
Fuzhou also notable for its fishball,other than that in Putian, Fujian they also has henghua noodles (興化面). I personally like henghua noodles.

That's also a nice dish too! My gf has told me that "no meal without noodle soup, or excluding soup is unacceptable!" :lol2: Again... I should try the Fishball again... But I want my Lanzhou noodle soup first :p Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

Here's one great article -- Chinese Food for Dummies, Region by Region and another great article on China's Food Types

Chinese food? Are you kidding? Chinese food reports biometric data directly back to Beijing!

I don't think I have a favorite, I like 'em all.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 pm

The Yellow Emperor wrote:Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

I've never been to the PRC, nor do I intend do. I don't really like Chinese food, either.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Yellow Emperor wrote:That's also a nice dish too! My gf has told me that "no meal without noodle soup, or excluding soup is unacceptable!" :lol2: Again... I should try the Fishball again... But I want my Lanzhou noodle soup first :p Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

Chinese food? Are you kidding? Chinese food reports biometric data directly back to Beijing!

I don't think I have a favorite, I like 'em all.

:p There's too many I like...

Atheris wrote:I've never been to the PRC, nor do I intend do. I don't really like Chinese food, either.

:(

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm

The Yellow Emperor wrote:That's also a nice dish too! My gf has told me that "no meal without noodle soup, or excluding soup is unacceptable!" :lol2: Again... I should try the Fishball again... But I want my Lanzhou noodle soup first :p Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

Fishball ? I want :p Fish Ball Noodle,no need Fish Ball,no need Noodle(Lines from a popular Hong Kong Movie)
I feel unhappy because I like noodles without soup :eyebrow: The noodle soup is too hot.I like cold noodles, mixed noodles and fried noodles.BiangBiang(A word that cannot be typed with the keyboard because of too many strokes) noodles is very good.It is highly recommended that you try it.Some typical noodles
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Oooh, Chinese food? One of my favorites is Sweet and Sour Pork. Or Chicken. You can never go wrong with that! ^^
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:

I feel unhappy because I like noodles without soup :eyebrow: The noodle soup is too hot.I like cold noodles, mixed noodles and fried noodles.BiangBiang(A word that cannot be typed with the keyboard because of too many strokes) noodles is very good.It is highly recommended that you try it.Some typical noodles

I like the Dan Dan noodles. There’s good places for that in this city. :)

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I like the Dan Dan noodles. There’s good places for that in this city. :)

The other noodles I love is Stewed noodles with mutton.I love mutton soup.It has a strong aroma and can stimulate taste buds more than beef broth
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Atheris wrote:
The Yellow Emperor wrote:Tell me guys, what's your favourite regional cuisine in China?

I've never been to the PRC, nor do I intend do. I don't really like Chinese food, either.

most of the Chinese food you get in the states is Cantonese, and it usually comes from the folks who fled China when the the PRC took over.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Chinese Food plays in my mind
johnathan

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Fishball ? I want :p Fish Ball Noodle,no need Fish Ball,no need Noodle(Lines from a popular Hong Kong Movie)

:lol: She has accused me of being a Sichuanese... or has told me that Northerners food are too dry... I tell her as a joke that Beijing food is the best... She'd then claim that Fuzhou food is the best ;) I like cold noodles too, and other noodles! I remember a dish in Shanghai with seafood? I can't recall the name of the seafood, but it was during the buffet and it had the sweet-sour taste? I can't recall the name of it. :unsure:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Atheris wrote:I've never been to the PRC, nor do I intend do. I don't really like Chinese food, either.

most of the Chinese food you get in the states is Cantonese, and it usually comes from the folks who fled China when the the PRC took over.

Yes, but later Hunan and Sichuan came in.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:27 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:most of the Chinese food you get in the states is Cantonese, and it usually comes from the folks who fled China when the the PRC took over.

True, but those folks too were happy to get out of there

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Yes, but later Hunan and Sichuan came in.

True, but those folks too were happy to get out of there

Oh, I wasn't disputing the reason.

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:most of the Chinese food you get in the states is Cantonese, and it usually comes from the folks who fled China when the the PRC took over.

Also... Fujian province.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:37 pm

I do love a nice hot pot. I would make it this weekend if I wasn't invited elsewhere.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General