NATION

PASSWORD

US Anti-Police Protests and Riots Thread II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are the police racist?

Yes
40%
No
47%
Other (explain below)
13%

Total votes : 811

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:50 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Seems to be winding down

Yep, not nearly as many protestors out there now as over the last weekend

They likely are getting sick. Or their relatives are and they have to stay home.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:51 am

American Pere Housh wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
I guess you're making excuses for the brutal cop who continued to kneel on his neck after he was unconscious.

Nah. The prosecutor would know this when they brought murder 3, and they'd certainly know it when they upped it to murder 2

your boi going down

He will end up doing a plea deal for manslaughter more than likely.

Latin Kings in Chicago joined forces with the CPD against looters.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 am

Skyhooked wrote:
Picairn wrote:Don't forget black business owners are also affected. https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/bla ... c8h6ecbjN/

So much for race solidarity... Indeed greed is one of the seven deadly sins.

Don't blame me for this.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 am

SangMar wrote:
Skyhooked wrote:
Didn't give him a right to do the chokehold on an already handcuffed and subdued dude for gods know how much. If only this cop acted more civilzied and put restrained suspect in his car... it wouldn't end like this.

As far as I know and belive, law is above race.

Can we get a source on the chokehold? As I’m picturing a martial arts technique - and not what George Floyd’s killers did. There wasn’t any damage to his neck or I believe, loss of blood to the brain either. And while there was a loss of oxygen, that was through positional asphyxia, not a chokehold.

I’m not doubting the cops killed him - I just don’t see how what they did was a chokehold. Though, the definition could well be any action which restricts blood or air flow by one person to another.

Whatever ya' call it, asphyxia or chokehold, it still not an excuse. Suspect died from excessive use of force when it was absolutely unncecessary, since suspect was already subdued and posed as much danger as bag of potato.

Greed and Death wrote:Don't blame me for this.

Then it was Avarice.
Last edited by Skyhooked on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 am

Nakena wrote:I believe it takes increasingly characteristics of a proto-revolutionary situation.

(and no that doesnt means it has or will or is even likely to go further there, but the signs are there on the wall)

I have no problems with revolution, but I hope it doesn't form into a communist revolution.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 am

La xinga wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
And that makes a difference how?

It was easier for the cop to KILL HIM when his respiratory system was already failing.

True, but even if he had been completely healthy bring suffocated for 10 mins would probably have killed him anyway.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:53 am

La xinga wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Tested positive in April and at autopsy. I'm sold.

It doesn't really make a difference to anything, but OK.

It's possible that it was easier for the cop to kill him if his respiratory system was somewhat failing.

I believe he was asymptomatic.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Nakena wrote:I believe it takes increasingly characteristics of a proto-revolutionary situation.

(and no that doesnt means it has or will or is even likely to go further there, but the signs are there on the wall)

I have no problems with revolution, but I hope it doesn't form into a communist revolution.

But that's the best kind.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 am

Skyhooked wrote:
Picairn wrote:Don't forget black business owners are also affected. https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/bla ... c8h6ecbjN/

So much for race solidarity... Indeed greed is one of the seven deadly sins.

You have black people who call Trump "the first real black president". Unironically.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 am

Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Seems to be winding down

Yep, not nearly as many protestors out there now as over the last weekend

But it's a weekend coming up right?

You'd expect weekends to be better attended.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:55 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:I have no problems with revolution, but I hope it doesn't form into a communist revolution.

Who's gonna lead it? Bernie? He's been missing from Senate votes.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:55 am

Valrifell wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:I have no problems with revolution, but I hope it doesn't form into a communist revolution.

In body count that is.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Holocene Extinction

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:55 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Yep, not nearly as many protestors out there now as over the last weekend

They likely are getting sick. Or their relatives are and they have to stay home.

That's probably not the most likely answer. Moreso that fears of infection are once again dominating the psyche. I'd also like to see some data that there are fewer protests going around other than three randos going "yeah it looks like it to me!"

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

That's the only revolution that's worth it, though. :(
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

The Alma Mater wrote:You have black people who call Trump "the first real black president". Unironically.

No, the first black president is Bill Clinton. :p
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

SangMar
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

Skyhooked wrote:
SangMar wrote:
Can we get a source on the chokehold? As I’m picturing a martial arts technique - and not what George Floyd’s killers did. There wasn’t any damage to his neck or I believe, loss of blood to the brain either. And while there was a loss of oxygen, that was through positional asphyxia, not a chokehold.

I’m not doubting the cops killed him - I just don’t see how what they did was a chokehold. Though, the definition could well be any action which restricts blood or air flow by one person to another.

Whatever ya' call it, asphyxia or chokehold, it still not an excuse. Suspect died from excessive use of force when it was absolutely unncecessary, since suspect was already subdued and posed as much danger as bag of potato.

That’s fine. I didn’t imply it was an excuse either - considering that positional asphyxia and a chokehold are two different things, to my understanding. Is it in doubt that he killed him? No. Was he resisting? No. But this kind of thought, if applied in court, would legitimately dent the prosecution’s case - as it might seem pedantic, but it most likely would be argued that if the prosecution think he used a chokehold, when he evidently didn’t, then what else are they unsure about?

Just to reiterate, I hope the guy’s convicted.
On Nationstates since 2012.
Nationstates’ Favourite Unknown and Autistic Tankie Eliminator!
B E G O N E T A N K I E DEGENERATE
Protip: Tankies =/= all communists.
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

https://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2?ec=-4.88&soc=-4.31

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Skyhooked
Senator

Founded: Mar 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Skyhooked » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

And what sort of revolution would ya' like? If it was up to me to choose, I'd pick the one, that would curb the excesses of capitalist system and remove that police brutality thingy, but allow the free market.
Skyhooked is MT/PMT with a few FT elements. Military is factbook only. NS stats are mostly non canon.
If you wanna know more about this haven of sin: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=418281&start=1

Our country offers: Alcohol, guns, cigars, weed, gambling, beaches and tons of souvenirs. And our current special: PL-74 Plasma rifle 25% discount!

Refreshing News:
Skyhooked is at war with Octavia, still holding agaisnt endless hordes of robots, vampires and traitors of humanity!/Global Defense Council was formed to help Earth hold agaisnt invasion./Luckily, we survived long enough and forces of Mandate of Humanity have arrived. (https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=484352)

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am

Picairn wrote:

Who's gonna lead it? Bernie? He's been missing from Senate votes.

Bernie’s not a communist though?
Here - this is my political orientation, for anyone who wishes to know: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=75.0&d=45.6&g=60.3&s=81.6

While my sig is mostly jest, and I do not want to harm those who are tankies, let me say this: If you’re the type to talk about “fash” or “bashing the fash” yet refuse to criticise the crimes of Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao, then you need to take a long, hard fucking look at yourself. Because you ARE the thing you want to “bash”, even if you dress it up in a different skin.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 am

Skyhooked wrote:
SangMar wrote:

Greed and Death wrote:Don't blame me for this.

Then it was Avarice.

what do you think the and is short for
Barack Obama

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 am

Skyhooked wrote:

And what sort of revolution would ya' like? If it was up to me to choose, I'd pick the one, that would curb the excesses of capitalist system and remove that police brutality thingy, but allow the free market.

I have no problem with what you described. I'm a quasi-social democrat.

Holocene Extinction

SangMar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby SangMar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 am

Skyhooked wrote:

S O C I A L D E M O C R A C Y C L U B . :p

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 am

SangMar wrote:
Picairn wrote:Who's gonna lead it? Bernie? He's been missing from Senate votes.

Bernie’s not a communist though?

You can remove the question mark. According to Americans, -1 left and -1 down is "radical"
(political compass)
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:57 am

Valrifell wrote:

In body count that is.

Because liberal revolutions have historically been so peaceful?

The idea of completely peaceful radical change is a myth perpetuated by an incomplete understanding of history and political movements.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Repubblica Fascista Sociale Italiana wrote:Yep, not nearly as many protestors out there now as over the last weekend

But it's a weekend coming up right?

You'd expect weekends to be better attended.

Lets see after work lets out.
Barack Obama

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 am

SangMar wrote:
Skyhooked wrote:

S O C I A L D E M O C R A C Y C L U B . :p

sOcIaL dEmOcRaTs rIsE uP
I hope this doesn't escalate to that point though...
Last edited by Dominioan on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General