NATION

PASSWORD

US Anti-Police Protests and Riots Thread II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Are the police racist?

Yes
40%
No
47%
Other (explain below)
13%

Total votes : 811

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:17 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:Are some LEO racist? Probably. Are all LEO racist? No they are not. Those rioters better stop rioting and attacking federal property or the president will be forced to declare martial law and send the military in. Everyday the Left doesn't denounce these riots is increasing President Trump's chances of winning reelection. TRUMP 2020 MAGA KAG!!!!!!

Did some rats and fleas cause the Plague? Yes. Did all rats and fleas do it? Nope.

That does not stop people from connecting them, nor should it.

also how are you supposed to kag and maga at the same time the latter states that you havent accomplished the thing that would involve "keeping" it that way sooooo
Last edited by Necroghastia on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:19 pm

Anti Defense League wrote:
Necroghastia wrote: :roll:
Oh, sure, they were just being pulled off the streets by unidentified thugs in unmarked vans for little/no reason. That's wayyyyy different.

Wheres the proof?

https://gothamist.com/news/video-shows- ... marked-van

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... l-arrests/
#NSTransparency

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:26 pm

So self reporting, no independent confirmation?

Edit: It should be pretty obvious how disingenuous it is to post the NYPD putting some in a marked van after an arrest as proof of Federal agents doing in Portland :roll:
Last edited by Anti Defense League on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
American Pere Housh wrote:Are some LEO racist? Probably. Are all LEO racist? No they are not. Those rioters better stop rioting and attacking federal property or the president will be forced to declare martial law and send the military in. Everyday the Left doesn't denounce these riots is increasing President Trump's chances of winning reelection. TRUMP 2020 MAGA KAG!!!!!!

Did some rats and fleas cause the Plague? Yes. Did all rats and fleas do it? Nope.

That does not stop people from connecting the two, nor should it.

also how are you supposed to kag and maga at the same time the latter states that you havent accomplished the thing that would involve "keeping" it that way sooooo

Tell me Necro, have you met every single LEO in the United States? The Left has been calling every LEO that is a minority a racist and that is a big problem. If you wish for higher crime rates and anarchy then defund the police but if you wish for law and order the support the police.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Eucadian Federation
Envoy

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Eucadian Federation » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I used to work in LE. I can tell you right now that I've come across quite a few bad officers, but I've always reported their actions or intervened on behalf of my clients (I worked at a detox center ran by the local sheriff's office). My report on one officer led to his firing, especially because he was already known as a very aggressive and overly-punitive individual.

Defunding the police is kind of a catch 22. You can't simultaneously demand certain reforms that would require extra funding (such as longer/more trainings, more equipment that holds officers accountable like body cams, etc) and also demand that we reduce their funding. On the other side of things, it should be recognized that there are plenty of systemic issues rooted in law enforcement agencies across the nation that need to be confronted, removed, and in some cases, agencies will need to be completely rebuilt.

However, policing communities and community safety are hand-in-hand. If law enforcement funding is taking up the majority of the city budget, while other social programs (homeless shelters, after school programs, etc, things that have actually been proven time and time again to reduce crime) are being neglected, then you have a multi-faceted issue that requires a multi-faceted approach/solution.

I've never agreed with the notion that all cops are bad and I despise it when some people say "Fuck 12" and in the same breath demand law enforcement come to their aid when they need it. As someone who is primarily Native American, and part black and part white, the racial part of policing is very much a real issue, but it's also multi-faceted. You can't say "Police are targeting Native Americans." when back in my hometown, Native Americans make up the majority of the homeless community, the majority are impoverished or a paycheck away from being so, a large portion lack a middle/high school, let alone college, education, on top of various health issues, suffering from addiction and mental health problems, as well as not being properly supported by their community. And so because crime, poverty, addiction, and lack of education all go hand in hand, and unfortunately disproportionally affects members of the Native community, you're surprised that Native Americans make up a significant number of inmates at the jail? You're in shock that Native Americans have more run ins with law enforcement than any other ethnic group? They're not being targeted specifically (as in an officer just doesn't get in his car and says "I'm gonna go arrest some natives today), no, Native Americans, and arguably other ethnic minorities, are suffering from institutional/systemic problems that also require immediate addressing and change; police are just one part of a very significant social issue in the United States.

Lastly, I've come to the conclusion that there is no right or wrong way to protest (so long as no crime is being committed). I think we all want the same thing: the freedoms and rights that are guaranteed to us and we want them all to apply equitably across the board, which in turn leads to an equal and fair society.
Last edited by Eucadian Federation on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former infant.

Live savage, not average.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012

Postby Uiiop » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Edit: It should be pretty obvious how disingenuous it is to post the NYPD putting some in a marked van after an arrest as proof of Federal agents doing in Portland :roll:

I interpreted that statement you made was asking about it in general. It's not disingenuous you just weren't clear.
Anyways:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/18/us/portl ... index.html
https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... 4w.twitter
Here's the one for the specific location you asked.
Last edited by Uiiop on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#NSTransparency

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:31 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Did some rats and fleas cause the Plague? Yes. Did all rats and fleas do it? Nope.

That does not stop people from connecting the two, nor should it.

Tell me Necro, have you met every single LEO in the United States? The Left has been calling every LEO that is a minority a racist and that is a big problem.

god i love the irony of complaining about how "the left" is painting cops with a broad brush when you do the exact same thing in the next sentence
If you wish for higher crime rates and anarchy then defund the police but if you wish for law and order the support the police.

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Uiiop wrote:

I interpreted that statement you made was asking about it in general. It's not disingenuous you just weren't clear.
Anyways:

Given the post I was responding to, and you quoted, was about Portland, the confusion was on your end; please do not shift blame to your own knee jerk reactions. As for the specific claims:

Video shot by O’Shea and provided to OPB shows a dark screen as O’Shea narrates the scene. Metadata from the video confirms the time and place of the protesters' account.

“Feds are driving around, grabbing people off the streets,” O’Shea said on the video. “I didn’t do anything fucking wrong. I’m recording this. I had to let somebody know that this is what happens.”

As I said, no evidence; it should be pretty obvious how shady this whole claim is. :roll:
Last edited by Anti Defense League on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Uiiop wrote:I interpreted that statement you made was asking about it in general. It's not disingenuous you just weren't clear.
Anyways:

Given the post I was responding to, and you quoted, was about Portland, the confusion was on your end; please do not shift blame to your own knee jerk reactions. As for the specific claims:

Video shot by O’Shea and provided to OPB shows a dark screen as O’Shea narrates the scene. Metadata from the video confirms the time and place of the protesters' account.

“Feds are driving around, grabbing people off the streets,” O’Shea said on the video. “I didn’t do anything fucking wrong. I’m recording this. I had to let somebody know that this is what happens.”

As I said, no evidence; it should be pretty obvious how shady this whole claim is. :roll:

just gonna completely ignore the other link that actually has video, huh?
pretty expected ngl

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

just gonna completely ignore the other link that actually has video, huh?
pretty expected ngl

Maybe because it's unverified and comes from a Twitter account lol? Or the fact they didn't put handcuffs on him, so it was pretty clearly an informant extraction?

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Necroghastia wrote:just gonna completely ignore the other link that actually has video, huh?
pretty expected ngl

Maybe because it's unverified and comes from a Twitter account lol? Or the fact they didn't put handcuffs on him, so it was pretty clearly an informant extraction?

I can't even tell what kind of "justification" you're going for with that first sentence, nor can you substantiate the claim you're making with the second.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:

Kayliegh got an account, y'all.

Be nice to her or Trump will try and ban Nationstates.

ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:20 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

I can't even tell what kind of "justification" you're going for with that first sentence, nor can you substantiate the claim you're making with the second.

The only "proof" I've seen so far is all the news articles referring to the same individuals or showing this tweet; we have no context for the tweet to prove its veracity. As for the second, explain to me why they didn't cuff him and why the guy in question hasn't spoken out since.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:57 pm

Necroghastia wrote:just gonna completely ignore the other link that actually has video, huh?
pretty expected ngl

*claims something didn't happen, uses no sources*
*demands proof for claims that thing did happen*
*gets multiple sources for claims and ignores all of them*
*makes counter-claim again without sources*

Yeah this sounds about right for Summer.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Genivaria wrote:

*claims something didn't happen, uses no sources*

It's okay to admit you're uninformed on the subject, Genivaria.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:*claims something didn't happen, uses no sources*

This applies to you as well, Genivaria just wants some counterevidence and you refuse to provide anything that proves them wrong.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Genivaria wrote:*claims something didn't happen, uses no sources*

It's also OK to admit that you're moving the goalposts just so you don't have to admit to being wrong.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am

Alcala-Cordel wrote:

This applies to you as well, Genivaria just wants some counterevidence and you refuse to provide anything that proves them wrong.

I'm not required to make his argument for him lol; I asked another poster, not him, a question and Genivaria jumped in. Look up the term "burden of proof".

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 am

Vassenor wrote:

It's also OK to admit that you're moving the goalposts just so you don't have to admit to being wrong.

Good thing I'm not, right? :) :clap:

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:09 am

Leaving aside the matter of what, exactly, occurred in Portland, I'm completely okay with abolishing the police.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 am

Vassenor wrote:

Because sticking your fingers in your ears and singing loudly when presented with sources you don't like is totally better than trying to reframe the argument so you don't have to address the fact they don't mesh with your claims?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 am

Vassenor wrote:

Because sticking your fingers in your ears and singing loudly when presented with sources you don't like is totally better than trying to reframe the argument so you don't have to address the fact they don't mesh with your claims?

Which never happened. :)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 am

Vassenor wrote:

Apart from all the times you complained about videos showing the things you claimed never happened purely because they were posted to someone's Twitter.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:17 am

Anti Defense League wrote:Leaving aside the matter of what, exactly, occurred in Portland, I'm completely okay with abolishing the police.

Well you're broadly on our side, which is good. You are however out on the fringe with Ifreann. "Abolish" is the logical extreme of what should be done to police!
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Anti Defense League
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Defense League » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 am

Vassenor wrote:

Apart from all the times you complained about videos showing the things you claimed never happened purely because they were posted to someone's Twitter.

Prove it then.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General