NATION

PASSWORD

US Anti-Police Protests and Riots Thread II

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Are the police racist?

Yes
40%
No
47%
Other (explain below)
13%

Total votes : 811

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

US Anti-Police Protests and Riots Thread II

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 am

THREAD 1

Source

On May 25, 4 policemen killed George Floyd, who was suspected of forgery. mostly through the process of kneeling on his neck while he pleaded to being unable to breathe. The 4 officers have since been fired. Floyd was unarmed at the time, and died several minutes later at the hospital.

Now, protesters marching against police brutality have gotten into clashes, some violent with police officers.

A video of the arrest can be found here.

At least one person is alleged to have been shot, though the identity of the shooter remains unclear, and another seems to have burned to death in a liquor store.

Outside of Minneapolis, there are also protests in St. Paul, Denver, Chicago, Columbus, and LA.

A related protest has broken out in Louisville, over the death of Breonna Taylor, with 7 shot.

Trump has Threatened to use the National Guard.

Derek Chauvin, the guy who actually had his knee on Floyd’s neck has been arrested and charged with murder.

The charge for D. Chauvin has been upgraded to second degree murder., and the other 3 officers have been charged with aiding and abetting.

What is your standpoint?

The officers arresting George Floyd should not have been charged with murder. - 4%

The officers should be charged with murder, but rioting is unjustified. - 44%

Rioting is justified, looting is not. - 33%

Both rioting and looting are justified. - 19% 
The police should be.....
Abolished - 16%

Defunded -12%

Have its funding reduced - 20%

Privatised - 5%

None of the above - 47%

Credit to Kowani for the OP.
Last edited by Agarntrop on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:14 am, edited 9 times in total.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:19 am

They aren't race riots. Race riots are interethnic violence while this is against the police.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:19 am

Rojava Free State wrote:They aren't race riots. Race riots are interethnic violence while this is against the police.

Duly noted
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 am

Yeah, that's better.
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 am

I believe it takes increasingly characteristics of a proto-revolutionary situation.

(and no that doesnt means it has or will or is even likely to go further there, but the signs are there on the wall)

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am

Nakena wrote:I believe it takes increasingly characteristics of a proto-revolutionary situation.

(and no that doesnt means it has or will or is even likely to go further there, but the signs are there on the wall)

It could go futher.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:21 am

I don’t know if it was mentioned in the last thread but there was a dance party in Atlanta with the National Guard and Police joining in.

Also the mayor and chief of police joined in and we only had 6 arrests
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Nakena wrote:I believe it takes increasingly characteristics of a proto-revolutionary situation.

It could go futher.

Seems to be winding down
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:22 am

The brutality that pervades in the police has been well and truly unmasked during these protests, if anyone was under any illusions that it wasn't the case.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:23 am

The New California Republic wrote:The brutality that pervades in the police has been well and truly unmasked during these protests, if anyone was under any illusions that it wasn't the case.

There’s always fighting back.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 am

For completeness sake, could you include the following items?
- Floyd was innocent of the forgery accusation. He did serve 5 years in prison for aggravated assault in the past, it is unclear if the cops knew this.

- Trump abused the situation to violently clear out peaceful protesters and remove a priest from their church so he could have a nice photo-op with a Bible in various positions

- In the weeks before Floyds death multiple cases of inequal treatment of blacks by law enforcement and society, including the murder of Arbery, dominated the news.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

It could go futher.

The longer it lasts, the more likely is that the most determined, ideologized and most importantly best organized groups take the lead in the process.

It's too early to call it who it is, but theres for sure lot of political groups who see this as their golden hour of opportunity. From far-left to far-right.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:25 am

I think there was a source that said George F. had COVID, is it true, or a false rumor?
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:26 am

The Alma Mater wrote:For completeness sake, could you include the following items?
- Floyd was innocent of the forgery accusation. He did serve 5 years in prison for aggravated assault in the past, it is unclear if the cops knew this.

- Trump abused the situation to violently clear out peaceful protesters and remove a priest from their church so he could have a nice photo-op with a Bible in various positions

- In the weeks before Floyds death multiple cases of inequal treatment of blacks by law enforcement and society, including the murder of Arbery, dominated the news.

Was it AA? Some articles I've read said it was robbery.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:26 am

La xinga wrote:I think there was a source that said George F. had COVID, is it true, or a false rumor?

And that makes a difference how?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:27 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
It could go futher.

Seems to be winding down

Do you mean protester numbers are going down?
Or incidents of rioting/police brutality, are going down?

I see them as rather different things.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:27 am

Vassenor wrote:
La xinga wrote:I think there was a source that said George F. had COVID, is it true, or a false rumor?

He just exposed the dumb bastard who had his knee on him who likely exposed it to other people.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 am

The thing you just made up is a false rumor. And you know that, because you just made it up.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 am

Vassenor wrote:

It was easier for the cop to KILL HIM when his respiratory system was already failing.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:29 am

According to Snopes, the official coroner's report said he had it, however he appeared to be an asymptomatic carrier.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/06/04/au ... ronavirus/
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:29 am

Dogmeat wrote:

The thing you just made up is a false rumor. And you know that, because you just made it up.

I didn't make it up, I heard it, and I'm asking NSG cuz I thought they were smart, but you could have answered me better, because no, I didn't make it up.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:30 am

If it was true we'd know it already. There were two autopsies, probably both checked for covid-19.

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:30 am

Kinda just posting to add it to my posts, but im surprised how long its gone on.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:30 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

If it was true we'd know it already. There were two autopsies, probably both checked for covid-19.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/health/g ... index.html

Is CNN trustworthy?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:31 am

La xinga wrote:
Dogmeat wrote:The thing you just made up is a false rumor. And you know that, because you just made it up.

I didn't make it up, I heard it, and I'm asking NSG cuz I thought they were smart, but you could have answered me better, because no, I didn't make it up.

I suppose it's possible swabs were taken when George was autopsied, and the test has only just been completed?

Who told you?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General