NATION

PASSWORD

IQ Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your IQ?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:13 am

>145
19%
130–145
22%
115–130
17%
100—115
3%
85—100
1%
70—85
1%
<70
9%
I don't know
29%

Total votes : 112

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Ifreann wrote:IQ isn't really a measure of intelligence in any meaningful sense.

It can be useful in some circumstances as a diagnostic tool to help spot issues like learning difficulties etc, but beyond that there is not any real point to it.

There are much better tests for that. Depending what the suspected deficiency is.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It can be useful in some circumstances as a diagnostic tool to help spot issues like learning difficulties etc, but beyond that there is not any real point to it.

There are much better tests for that. Depending what the suspected deficiency is.

Oh absolutely. And such issues would normally be apparent anyway without the need to use an IQ test to flag it up for other testing.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:52 am

Like all tests they have flaws. From my personal view IQ seems to be a way for some to try and laude over others especially in the academic fields. Yet ironically some of the most cleaver people I have met would probably get a very low IQ as they can't solve puzzles and whatnot quickly but they understand far more in other fields.
Merry Christmas!

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:38 am

The votes so far suggest NSG fits an inverted bell curve. Lots of smart arses and morons, but very few average people.
Everything is intertwinkled

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The votes so far suggest NSG fits an inverted bell curve. Lots of smart arses and morons, but very few average people.

I'd trust the scribblings on a toilet stall wall more than I'd trust an NSG poll.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 am

I believe that they can exist as entertainment, kind of like opinion shows on the news, but they shouldn't be used for official purposes, such as what school to be in, determining who gets social services, or making special laws for certain folks.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 am

Not sure. But if I had to guess, mine is probably a negative number.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Silvedania
Minister

Founded: Apr 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Silvedania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:53 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:NSG post count is a much more reliable indicator of intelligence.

More like how well your nation does in NS.
Silvedania, the majestic nation.
NS Stats are mostly accurate except for a few things, like this nation is capitalist and the death penalty isn't in effect

News:All trade with Crabaiaia and Pikala has stopped as diplomats meet in Trenaka.  Silvedanians are confused by Quentin Tarantulatino's new film, Seasonal Snackbox(This is a Bojack Horseman reference.) Weird song goes viral for making no sense.

Co-founder of LITA | Member of ICDN | Former Member of SETA | Member of IFTC | He/Him/His | Airport: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=493569#p37851012
Being president looks like the worst job in the world. -John Mulaney

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:00 am

Just took a "reliable" IQ test (it was only like 8 questions), but gave me a possible IQ level of 133-149.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

The Yeetusa
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Yeetusa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am

I think in order to have your IQ measured, a professional has to come to you and do it, not an online test.

I got 148 on an adult test at 11, so... Yeah
█████████
█████████
█████████

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:19 am

The Yeetusa wrote:I think in order to have your IQ measured, a professional has to come to you and do it, not an online test.

I got 148 on an adult test at 11, so... Yeah

True, but I don't remember the last time I've taken an IQ, so I just went online for one.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:20 am

Dytarma wrote:Just took a "reliable" IQ test (it was only like 8 questions), but gave me a possible IQ level of 133-149.

I took forty and I didn't get the result because I refused to pay .
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 am

The New California Republic wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:The votes so far suggest NSG fits an inverted bell curve. Lots of smart arses and morons, but very few average people.

I'd trust the scribblings on a toilet stall wall more than I'd trust an NSG poll.

So that's why you called last night.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Prozitia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 28, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Prozitia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:17 am

Stellonia wrote:As of this post, two out of 24 people have responded to the poll by saying their IQ is less than 70. Normally, I would assume that they are joking, but having seen some of the people on NSG, I suspect that they might be serious.

Prozitia wrote:Damn, can't you talk about anything without mentioning "muh totalitarian communists"? Pure ideology, dude.

To be fair, they also mentioned fascists.

I bet he considers fascists to be leftists as well. There are many like him, and I don't understand why they're so hostile to an ideology they don't even understand nor is dictating their lives.
POSSUMUS!

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:25 am

Took an IQ test when I was 5. This has not impacted my life in any way. It was a requirement to skip kindergarten. I scored higher than my brother which has given me many a chance to rub that in his face though.

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 am

I got an IQ score of 128 when I was 6. Now I have a score of 134. I think IQ is a test of your ability to learn, not how smart you are.
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 am

Online IQ tests are bullshit
What animal is out of place?
Cat
Tiger
Cheetah
Butterfly

+50 IQ For getting that right
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 am

I should take one sometime, closest I got was maybe that gifted test when I was a kid.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 am

Drew Durrnil wrote:I got an IQ score of 128 when I was 6. Now I have a score of 134. I think IQ is a test of your ability to learn, not how smart you are.

It seems to be a pretty good indicator of how good you are at taking tests.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:45 am

Aureumterra wrote:Online IQ tests are bullshit
Cat
Tiger
Cheetah
Butterfly

Cat, it is the only domesticated animal in the list.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Drew Durrnil
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Anarchy

Postby Drew Durrnil » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:47 am

Cat
Tiger
Cheetah
Butterfly

Butterfly because it isn't a cat. Duh
also known as pacific shores
author of sc #434
professional slab worshipper
lieutenant of the south pacific special forces
2023 ananke award co-winner
Rosartemis wrote:DOWN WITH UEPU THOSE DAMNED RAIDERS!

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Cat
Tiger
Cheetah
Butterfly

Butterfly, as it is the only one not in the cat family, and is more different from the others than any of the other options on that list.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:08 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Butterfly, as it is the only one not in the cat family, and is more different from the others than any of the other options on that list.

If you are a veterinarian sure.
If you are a zookeeper not so much.

And that in a nutshell is the problem with IQ tests.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

The Cosmic Mainframe
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 26, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby The Cosmic Mainframe » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:53 am

I recall having a fairly high score, somewhere in the upper 120s, but that test was years ago, so my score might change if I take another test. Could be in the 140s, could be below 50, could just be an average 100. Who knows.

IQ tests have a lot of inherent flaws and sometimes they will measure skills that have nothing to do with general intelligence. Even more problems come from the way they are interpreted and used. They are useful on occasion, as an attempt to quantify one's general thinking skills relative to the average, but not more than that, and even then IQ tests can be highly unreliable.
== BEGIN POSTSCRIPT ==
The Mainframe requires more processing power and storage.
Donate your computing devices or they will be taken by force.
== END POSTSCRIPT ==

UPDATES (earth-year 3345): International Subsystem scales up operations in 42E5 "New York," Earth, now the largest known concentration of androids.

Factbooks | About Me | NationStates Flag Bracket II | Bytes (card farming region) | MAINFRAMEWAVE
Feel free to telegram me about anything. I'll do my best to respond.
Canon is relative to the observer. Not using NS stats.
This nation does not represent my real views, and if it represents yours, I question your sanity.

Nouvelle-Floride
Secretary

Founded: Jun 28, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nouvelle-Floride » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:57 am

I can't tell my left from my right, so, automatic buffoon.

In all seriousness, intellect seems to be pretty poorly defined - IQ itself is a flawed metric of trying to gauge intelligence.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General